• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is being played by a Black Woman and Evangelicals are pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
God should be played by a rorschach test, because everyone reads whatever they want into the concept.

watchmen-quotes_00405694.jpg

royalan

Evidence is irrelevant here, not sure why you're bringing that up. Certainly not arguing for the existence of God here (I am an atheist), but for Christians they believe that their entire livelihoods are in service to their God. Every single week, they hear that the creator of the universe is a "Father". This is drilled into their heads. Father. Father. Father. Father. Father.

So yeah, they might look at a depiction of God the Father as a woman and go "uh, that's definitely not right". Is this really worth going "nuh uh that's super sexist! you're sexist for thinking God the Father shouldn't be portrayed by a woman!"?

Evidence should matter, because we're not just talking the average church goer. We're talking about evangelical leaders commenting on this story who should know better. Even a lot of churches God is taught to be a genderless entity. The male pronouns used to describe God are more a product of the patriarchal society Christianity was formed in.

FuturusX

The more interesting criticism of the work is further down in the article and definitely deserves to be discussed:

..many white, European Americans have experienced more unconditional love from an African American woman employed by their parents to take care of them as children than from their own parents. They have developed an image of God as an African American woman in connection with the teachings of their religious tradition that God is unconditionally loving. This image has emerged recently in U.S. popular culture in the novel The Shack, resonating with millions of readers. This raises the question, however, of whether this God-image enables them to challenge their inevitable internalized images of white people as superior in a white supremacist context. Perhaps the image of the less powerful, more loving African American woman coincides with an image of Christ as long-suffering and therefore does not challenge assumptions and inspire action to alleviate the suffering of African American people. Perhaps this image reinforces stereotypes of black women as a mammy or an earth mother, able to give endlessly, with superhuman strength, without challenging the racism of white people.

Jeels

After evangelicals voted for Trump I think we can say for sure that these people don't actually care about what's truly Christian.

Just cast Morgan Freeman and you're safe. No matter how pissy you might start off seeing him as God,the moment he speaks, everyone is like "Oh, this is good. Proceed." Me? I don't give a shit.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Evangelicals was the name bigoted and intolerant pieces of shit hid behind long before alt right became a thing.

Dazza

I remember their being backlash with Morgan Freeman playing God in Bruce Almighty, there was heaps against Dogma and not just for God being Woman. "The Devil's work" paraphrasing some church sermons.

The complaint that it promotes false idolatry in this film is confusing, if anything it does the opposite

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was there this much outrage when Morgan Freeman played him? Or even Alanis Morrisette? I guess it only counts when you merge both things they hate.

Edit: Haha. Well then.

I don't meant to thread shit too much but... So what? Let them be pissed. It doesn't matter. Any depiction is going to piss some sect off. It doesn't matter.

fantomena

Well let them be pissed then. What can they do about it other then scream and be pissed about it on the Internet?

Pas them a safe space, they seem to need it.

RibMan

I'd be pissed too, especially since we already know what God looks like.

In all seriousness, the physical image of God is irrelevant in believing the word, spreading the gospel, and serving others. And if we actually want to play along with the "One true God revealed through Jesus" argument, then how about we stick to the facts and acknowledge that the Bible doesn't describe Jesus as a white blonde blue-eyed messiah? How about instead of crying about a black woman playing God, we use that time and energy to help improve and explain what God is all about and whether or not you should care?

Ah, so God can be either a Black Man (Joe Almighty) or a White Woman (Dogma) Without much backlash, but a Black Woman? IDOLATRY! HERESY!

My eyes Can't roll far enough.

Bold One

Ah, so God can be either a Black Man (Joe Almighty) or a White Woman (Dogma) Without much backlash, but a Black Woman? IDOLATRY! HERESY!

Had Bruce Almighty and Dogma come out today, they would have been rallied against,

The early 2000s were a simpler time

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Controversial because Jesus was Middle Eastern ..... when the whole New Testament takes place in the Middle East. Also mankind originated in Africa...... but let's just ignore the "we were made in his image" line. Which leads me to the other point I am surprised they aren't more angry God is a woman than her race......

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh well, that's okay then!

So let's pretend that disliking arbitrary changes to established fictional characters is somehow equivalent to disliking the thematically-consistent depiction of a supposedly real universal creator for whom we have no evidence or physical description? The "Father" aspect of the Judeo-Christian god is a function of the patriarchal nature of the society that invented him, nothing more. It's pretty easily noted that a creator deity makes much more sense as female.

I'd say give it time.

The fact that someone could use the word "heresy" with a straight face in 2016 is fucking hilarious.
This.

So I went to one of the links in the Washington Post article, and definitely agree the complaints are about gender: http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/shack.html
Man, these people. Being all outraged that people don't like the idea of women being subservient to men. Damn uppity feminists ruining everything!

Had Bruce Almighty and Dogma come out today, they would have been rallied against,

The early 2000s were a simpler time
Your memory must be short. There was plenty of evangelical outrage at Dogma. It was pathetic and hilarious then too.

Huge lack of religious history and literacy in this thread (edit: admittedly the thread title is inflammatory so the posts aren't a surprise).

Evangelicals descend from the Protestant traditions that turned crucifixes into crosses and tore religious art off the walls of churches because they considered the depiction of even Jesus (much less symbols for other members of the Trinity) to be idolatry. This outrage in some evangelical publications isn't a surprise at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm#Protestant_Reformation

I can speak to this a bit.

When the book came out many Christians were upset about the theological implications of the narrative, mostly but not limited to the trinity. The book is supposed to be written by a Christian for other Christians; so Christians were upset when the book failed to accurately portray Christians beliefs in how the trinity works. For more information search for sermons against the shack. There are plenty.

In addition to the theological problems the book also touched on the centuries old issue of inconoclasm and the depiction of God. There is some debate as to whether God the Father or the Holy Spirit should be depicted at all. In fact if you go look at art in many churches you will find stain glass depictions of Jesus but very few depictions of the rest of the Trinity. The creation of man where God is reaching out towards Adam being the most famous depiction of God the Father. While there are a few depictions of the Father, the common belief is that the Father should not be shown at all. In the Old Testament the Father allows Moses to see his back only being seeing anymore would kill him. In fact, Moses' face is glowing after seeing Gods back so he wears a veil. The idea is that the Jesus is the only one who was God incarnate as a man and He is the only one who should be depicted in art. Truly this debate is hundreds of years old.

As far as the comparisons to Dogma and Bruce Almighty go-those were both non-Christian movies where as this book/movie is making the claim to be a Christian movie. an apples to oranges comparison.

royalan

Huge lack of religious history and literacy in this thread (edit: admittedly the thread title is inflammatory so the posts aren't a surprise).

Evangelicals descend from the Protestant traditions that turned crucifixes into crosses and tore religious art off the walls of churches because they considered the depiction of even Jesus (much less symbols for other members of the Trinity) to be idolatry. This outrage in some evangelical publications isn't a surprise at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm#Protestant_Reformation

This makes no sense as a justification because the criticism is focused specifically on the race and gender of the casting, and not that the Trinity is being depicted at all (something that Protestants routinely hand-wave).

Aurongel

Legit chuckled when I saw they're upset that Jesus is represented as a middle easterner. But when Muslims get upset about depictions of Allah suddenly they pile back onto the free speech bandwagon and say they should get over it.

This sort of thing just makes me laugh at this point, it's so uneducated and knuckle dragging.

Bold One

This.

Your memory must be short. There was plenty of evangelical outrage at Dogma. It was pathetic and hilarious then too.

My memory is fine, and I am not saying there wasn't andy reaction at all.

However, Dogma came out in 1999, it was a different world compared to today. There were a few chatrooms here and there, but high-speed internet proliferation, wifi, smartphones, social media (and the instant soapbox it provided for every Joe schmoe with an ill-thought-out opinions) were at least half a decade away...

That article is wrong though. God is referred to as the The Father, Jesus Christ (the Son), and the Holy Spirit, whom Jesus refers to as a 'He.' Those are all male anthropomorphic identities.

Thus, you cannot really say that the Bible doesn't speak on the matter.

kavanf1

Also it's more edgy to admit you're religious these days. Calling God fake isn't really rebellious anymore.
Considering it's nigh on impossible to be elected to high office in the US without claiming religious affiliation, it isn't yet socially acceptable by any means.

Considering it's nigh on impossible to be elected to high office in the US without claiming religious affiliation, it isn't yet socially acceptable by any means.

Eh I was speaking more from a millennial perspective. You're right about that, but i imagine that will change in 15-20 years.

Chaplain

Not upset here. The Shack represents an allegory of God that doesn't resonate with me. Jesus has no equal. ^_^

"As Jesus acts as God and for God in every context of importance, we should conclude that, for all intents and purposes, Jesus is God. Thus when we worship Jesus, we worship God; when we know Jesus, we know God; when we hear the promises of Jesus, we hear the promises of God; when we encounter Jesus, we encounter none other than the living God. The idea of the incarnation is the climax of Christian reflection on the mystery of Christ-the recognition that Jesus revealed God; that Jesus represented God; that Jesus speaks as God and for God; that Jesus acted as God and for God; that Jesus was God." (Oxford Professor Alister E. McGrath, in 'Studies in Doctrine,' p. 66-67)

"The very triumphs of His foes, it means, He used for their defeat. He compelled their dark achievements to subserve His ends, not theirs. They nailed Him to the tree, not knowing that by that very act they were bringing the world to His feet. They gave Him a cross, not guessing that He would make it a throne. They flung Him outside the gates to die, not knowing that in that very moment they were lifting up all the gates of the universe, to let the King come in. They thought to root out His doctrines, not understanding that they were implanting imperishably in the hearts of men the very name they intended to destroy. They thought they had God with His back to the wall, pinned and helpless and defeated: they did not know that it was God Himself who had tracked them down. He did not conquer in spite of the dark mystery of evil. He conquered through it." (Psalm 68:18 by James Stewart of Scotland)

legend166

This makes no sense as a justification because the criticism is focused specifically on the race and gender of the casting, and not that the Trinity is being depicted at all (something that Protestants routinely hand-wave).

The criticism in the article you posted is clearly focused on the theological implications of the book. You've created a thread and completely skewed the perception of the criticism by your thread title and framing that doesn't actually line up with what those critics are saying.

But hey continue the pile on, everyone loves it when it's not their side.

I always think of god as masculine, especially seeing how the bible refers to him as a father. That said, I don't really believe he has a set form, and according to the scriptures no human can see him directly and live.

royalan

The criticism in the article you posted is clearly focused on the theological implications of the book. You've created a thread and completely skewed the perception of the criticism by your thread title and framing that doesn't actually line up with what those critics are saying.

But hey continue the pile on, everyone loves it when it's not their side.

No, the criticism in the article I posted is clearly focused on the criticism of the film and its casting. As is the damn quote that I put in the OP. The criticisms mirror what was said about the book, but it extends to the film. I this were solely a criticism about the depiction of the Holy Trinity, there wouldn't be such strong emphasis on the race and gender chosen.

But hey, continue to be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom