• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is being played by a Black Woman and Evangelicals are pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
MFW I saw this website:

what_year_is_it.jpg
Dude, they even have a "Fundamental Top 500" site link at the bottom.

Kthulhu

BTW the movie trailer actually seemed really sweet. I'm not christian anymore, but I imagine that I'd like this movie when I was.

Dude, they even have a "Fundamental Top 500" site link at the bottom.

IKR. Dude must be hiding in a fallout shelter or some shit for the past decade plus.

13ruce

Banned
The Bible is fake though.

True but nothing wrong with religion it helps people. Before people say religion also creates war thats true but so does oil and money and other stuff.

Anyway i see no problem with this i liked Morgan Freeman as god in Bruce Almighty.

...and God as an older, maternal Black woman.

How can they be outraged with something so trope-y? Old, maternal, wise black woman as 'disguise' for god/an angel (or an alien or even A.I in scifi) is so damn typical.

sk3

Banned
Fake news is the absolute worst!

But its ok in this instance since we already hate christians and it reinforces our beliefs about them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Let's reel in our outrage a bit guys.

1. I don't see any evidence in the article that the objection here is that God is portrayed as black. Just as a woman.

2. Belief in the Trinity requires belief in God the Father. So, portraying God the Father as a woman is probably a swing and a miss. Honestly GAF has gotten angrier at minor changes in depictions of Frank West or Cole McGrath so.....

3. I definitely don't see any evidence in the linked article that people are angry about the Middle Eastern Jesus.

4. The article mentions that a lot of the outrage centers around the movie painting a favorable light of "Universalsim", which is heresy to most mainstream Christians, and has nothing to do with whether or not God is depicted as a Black Woman.

Kinyou

How can they be outraged with something so trope-y? Old, maternal, wise black woman as 'disguise' for god/an angel (or an alien or even A.I in scifi) is so damn typical.
It's kind of funny to see the other end of the political spectrum taking offense with the "magical negro" trope.

Desi

I don't know if there was public outrage but there were members of my family that were upset about god's portrayal in Bruce Almighty, and Bruce Almighty in general.

Social Media was less of a thing in 2003 so people were less likely to whip themselves into a frenzy about it.

Yeah I remember a push back because of Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty. Even remember that TV guy on the 700 club talking about it.

PSqueak

Banned
2. Belief in the Trinity requires belief in God the Father. So, portraying God the Father as a woman is probably a swing and a miss. Honestly GAF has gotten angrier at minor changes in depictions of Frank West or Cole McGrath so.....

Genderising God has always been about convenience, "God the Father" is more about the idea of God the entity as origin of everything and Jesus as a direct line between God and Humans.

1. I don't see any evidence in the article that the objection here is that God is portrayed as black. Just as a woman.

3. I definitely don't see any evidence in the linked article that people are angry about the Middle Eastern Jesus.

4. The article mentions that a lot of the outrage centers around the movie painting a favorable light of "Universalsim", which is heresy to most mainstream Christians, and has nothing to do with whether or not God is depicted as a Black Woman.

This is a sensible post, thank you.

Fury451

Banned

Sensible.

Most of the complaints in the article are the same ones made about the book when it released years ago. The author spoke on my campus about it, and the pushback was largely for its "New Age"/mysticism bent that clashes with Christian theology.

You'll always have racists and sexists that make it about that whenever they get the chance though, and I'm sure there's plenty that feel that way about this too. I didn't get the impression that that's what the article is focused on here though.

I mean evangelicals hate everything.

That's how they make money.

Also true.

Dai Kaiju

Why wouldn't God want to be a black woman? God isn't supposed to be a person in the first place but a cosmic, celestial force without true form. Why is one form considered more "true" than another?

This is so inane, why am I even commenting on this.
The Bible refers to God as Father.

Edit:very beaten.

Nepenthe

White Dude A: How can God be black if he's a woman?

White Dude B: I think He might be both!

White Dude A: BOTH?!!!!

White Dudes: NOOOOOOO!!!!

Well regardless of if the anger comes from being portrayed as a woman, I can understand that they dont like the overall message.

God of the bible is a jerk anyway, so it's not surprising that hardline christians want that to be upheld, while others want to modernize him to be more accepting, as the younger demographic is probably not down with the god of the O.T.

It's rather like Christianity watering down the bible to bend to society. Though Im sure some people will try to insist god of the OT is actually pretty nice, it's clear there is an understanding of god as being incredibly stern and intolerant of "sin" (though this intolerance just makes him a huge oversensitive jerk)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Oh well, that's okay then!

So let's pretend that disliking arbitrary changes to established fictional characters is somehow equivalent to disliking the thematically-consistent depiction of a supposedly real universal creator for whom we have no evidence or physical description? The "Father" aspect of the Judeo-Christian god is a function of the patriarchal nature of the society that invented him, nothing more. It's pretty easily noted that a creator deity makes much more sense as female.

I'd say give it time.

The fact that someone could use the word "heresy" with a straight face in 2016 is fucking hilarious.

nampad

So is a black woman not created after god's image?

What is worse, the outrage comes from a professor and a pastor, not just some white trash fundamentalists.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So I went to one of the links in the Washington Post article, and definitely agree the complaints are about gender: http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/shack.html

And this hatred of men is typical in the Christian community, where any talk of "submission" and "subordination" of the wife (such as we read in the Bible) is responded by fabricating such fictional accounts and scenarios, expressing utter contempt for such a concept and justifying the evangelical feminist veiwpoint in their hatred of men. Likewise both Christian men and men in the world have become largely emasculated, marginalized, even effiminated, having embraced the feminist philosophy which so enslaves Western culture. So feminist pastors and effeminate Christian writers largely see it as their duty to push such crap on the rest of the Christian community.

As I continue in the book, Jesus is viewed as not subordinate to the Father - no chain of command. Or to quote his "Jesus", "Chain of command? That sounds ghastly." Why what a coincidence. It's the same thing that the evangelical feminists say about Paul's commands concerning wives subordination to their husbands. Yet the Biblical viewpoint of Jesus' subordination to the Father is the model of such relationships. Again Young is pushing his feminist point of view.

123rl

Oh, religion.

Never under-estimate the power of a religious nut-job who feels their imaginary friend is under attack

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
God should be played by a rorschach test, because everyone reads whatever they want into the concept.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So let's pretend that disliking arbitrary changes to established fictional characters is somehow equivalent to disliking the thematically-consistent depiction of a supposedly real universal creator for whom we have no evidence or physical description?

The "Father" aspect of the Judeo-Christian god is a function of the patriarchal nature of the society that invented him, nothing more. It's pretty easily noted that a creator deity makes much more sense as female.

Evidence is irrelevant here, not sure why you're bringing that up. Certainly not arguing for the existence of God here (I am an atheist), but for Christians they believe that their entire livelihoods are in service to their God. Every single week, they hear that the creator of the universe is a "Father". This is drilled into their heads. Father. Father. Father. Father. Father.

So yeah, they might look at a depiction of God the Father as a woman and go "uh, that's definitely not right". Is this really worth going "nuh uh that's super sexist! you're sexist for thinking God the Father shouldn't be portrayed by a woman!"?

I'd say give it time.

Sure, let's get outraged ahead of time. Why waste our time on the facts that currently exist when we can get outraged at perceived transgressions!

The fact that someone could use the word "heresy" with a straight face in 2016 is fucking hilarious.

Uh, do you think there's a better word here? Or are you just turning this into hating Christians for being Christian?

The Lamp

This depiction — God as a woman despite its gender-less designation in the Bible — has some critics incensed

This is false. The God of the Bible is routinely referred to with masculine pronouns and (at the time) masculine characteristics. Women at the time weren't considered to have any rights or identity without a husband, so it doesn't surprise me that they never used female pronouns to describe the Hebrew God.

Ivan 3414

To be fair I think this has more to do with God being a woman than being black (although that doesn't make things much better)

The Bruce/Evan Almighty movies had God as a black man and there wasn't much of a hubbub about that

Edit Also this depiction of God is probably getting more attention than others because the source material is Christian literature

Trouble

Banned
To be fair I think this has more to do with God being a woman than being black (although that doesn't make things much better)

The Bruce/Evan Almighty movies had God as a black man and there wasn't much of a hubbub about that

It's a lot harder to quote bible passages to support racism than it is to quote bible passages to support misogyny.

kavanf1

Every time someone gets upset about a made up story because it conflicts with their view of a made up story, an angel gets its wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom