• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is being played by a Black Woman and Evangelicals are pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now just imagine if Muhammad was played by Neil Patrick Harris.

The antichrist should be played by Justin Beiber

I can understand why they're upset. Christianity is misogynistic, and God is a petty asshole. They should have cast a fedora-wearing neckbeard, not a warm maternal figure.

Lowmelody

Let's reel in our outrage a bit guys.

1. I don't see any evidence in the article that the objection here is that God is portrayed as black. Just as a woman.

2. Belief in the Trinity requires belief in God the Father. So, portraying God the Father as a woman is probably a swing and a miss. Honestly GAF has gotten angrier at minor changes in depictions of Frank West or Cole McGrath so.....

3. I definitely don't see any evidence in the linked article that people are angry about the Middle Eastern Jesus.

4. The article mentions that a lot of the outrage centers around the movie painting a favorable light of "Universalsim", which is heresy to most mainstream Christians, and has nothing to do with whether or not God is depicted as a Black Woman.

You're absolutely right, Christianity should be thrown in the garbage bin altogether and isn't worth modernizing. Too faulty of a foundation to build upon, an existential swampland.

jet1911

2. Belief in the Trinity requires belief in God the Father. So, portraying God the Father as a woman is probably a swing and a miss. Honestly GAF has gotten angrier at minor changes in depictions of Frank West or Cole McGrath so.....

Hahaha, ouch.

Every time someone gets upset about a made up story because it conflicts with their view of a made up story, an angel gets its wings.
I too remember the great arrival heralded by the peak Potter popularity years.... So much witchcraft, so many wings a beating... Twas the sound of sweet sweet glory for half a decade.

BeesEight

I mean, their complaints are founded. Isn't it doctrine that God created man in his image? I'm not certain where this new belief that God is some formless cosmic soup originated.

That's a lie. It's entirely from Gnosticism and bless them for it.

That said, and it could come down to denomination differences, I believe the story of Genesis is that God created man in his image - later clarified that it was Adam specifically that he made. Then, from Adam's rib, he crafted Eve. Thus, it's pretty easy to read into this that male is God's form and female is just a lesser portion of that.

Depending how much weight your sect gives to the story of Lilith, of course.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Patriarchy is baked right into the foundation of Christianity. Gnosticism was considered the greatest threat to Christianity almost entirely because it not only had the audacity to say women were equal but also that a more closer depiction of God was that of a woman. A female God is to the acceptable vision of the Bible as heretical as an entirely different religion.

Young’s pretentious caricature of God as a heavy set, cushy, nonjudgmental, African American woman called ‘Papa’ (who resembles the New Agey Oprah Winfrey far more than the one true God revealed through the Lord Jesus Christ — Hebrews 1:1-3)

Wait - Oprah's in the Bible? Damn she's good!

"Forgiveness for you, and forgiveness for you and FORGIVENESS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!"

This is why I have a problem with how GAF treats Christians like it's all one group when in reality, it's a mixed bag. It's not supposed to be a mixed bag, but people like to take things and tailor them to their ideology.

It's the same reason why people don't like visiting my church; we have a female pastor. Our church being an inter-denominational church turns people off as well because they think Christianity has to have a denomination attached to it; you can't just be Christian.

This is also why you have some churches who openly invite gays and transsexuals and others openly condemn them. It's all about the stuff they added to their Christian ideology which was never needed in the first place.

This isn't a Christian problem, it's a problem with the people who follow it.

PSqueak

Banned
This is why I have a problem with how GAF treats Christians like it's all one group when in reality, it's a mixed bag. It's not supposed to be a mixed bag, but people like to take things and tailor them to their ideology.

It's the same reason why people don't like visiting my church; we have a female pastor. Our church being an inter-denominational church turns people off as well because they think Christianity has to have a denomination attached to it; you can't just be Christian.

This is also why you have some churches who openly invite gays and transsexuals and others openly condemn them. It's all about the stuff they added to their Christian ideology which was never needed in the first place.

To be fair, Most gaffers are american, and we all know how fucked up [most of] america's idea of christianity is, to foreigners it looks nothing like christianity at all.

How can a so called "christian" yell something like "God hates fags" and not realize they are committing several blasphemies?

To be fair, Most gaffers are american, and we all know how fucked up [most of] america's idea of christianity is, to foreigners it looks nothing like christianity at all.

How can a so called "christian" yell something like "God hates fags" and not realize they are committing several blasphemies?
The only difference between a religious asshole in the US vs a religious asshole in South America is that one screams it out loud, the other simply talks shit about them behind their back and convinces everybody they know to stay away.

One is just louder.

Well now Jesus looks stupid for saying heavenly father.

This is ridiculous. I think the creator of everything could take whatever for it damn well pleases and if you got a problem with it, enjoy being smote.

G.ZZZ

I mean, you're making a movie about a Patriarchal god of a patriarchal religion and casting "him" as a woman.

This is sorta like casting Shiva as a man. There's no "modernizing" the image, that's history.

Jesus as middle eastern is canon (fuck you blonde jesus hollywood) and the holy spirit being a woman while a bit debatable is not as clear in the book so whatever. But the abrahamic god is definitely created as a male ideal.

PSqueak

Banned
The only difference between a religious asshole in the US vs a religious asshole in South America is that one screams it out loud, the other simply talks shit about them behind their back and convinces everybody they know to stay away.

One is just louder.

Double faced assholes are a thing of society regardless of religious context or not, i think it's worrying that in most countries the hateful rethoric like that raises eyebrows and people would think "i don't think this is what we were supposed to learn from jesus", but the USA projects this image where the hateful rethoric is basically backed by the church.

Where is the forgiveness? where is love your human brothers and sisters?

I don't know. It's simple to see, honestly. But a lot of people here will take the person who says "God hates fags" and make them the quintessential Christian. Using that as a base to criticize Christianity when the real problem are the people who claim they're Christian.

What's interesting is the Bible foretells this and it took me a long time to see it.

woopWOOP

Not made in HER image!!
XqFxMTc.png
I always found this dumb thing to be kinda adorable, lol

y2dvd

When you have scriptures written thousands of years ago that is roughly translated and open to wide interpretations without the big man (heh) coming down here himself to clarify all of this shit up, I can see a flaw in it.

When you have scriptures written thousands of years ago that is roughly translated and open to wide interpretations without the big man (heh) coming down here himself to clarify all of this shit up, I can see a flaw in it.

Not really. A lot of these silly rules are either from the old testament (Christians should be pulling from the New) or they're completely made up.

I mean, there are churches who say women can't wear makeup or wear jeans. Where is that in the Bible? Do you really think that'll prevent you from getting in heaven? Or dating someone out of your race? Or worshiping snakes? The list goes on.

Chaplain

Where is that in the Bible? Do you really think that'll prevent you from getting in heaven? Or dating someone out of your race? Or worshiping snakes? The list goes on.

The scripture you are referring to is found in 1 Peter 3:3-4. The writer of the verse makes no mention of wearing makeup.

People, from all walks of life, tend to act on the belief that God's love can be earned through rituals or merit based performance. The Bible defines these actions as "legalism." Jesus never taught it, rebuked those who practiced it, and declared that He came to set people free from this type of thinking.

"The desire to have clear boundaries, and a concern for decency and order to guide communities, is both necessary and prudent. Yet somehow rules meant to offer shape for community living often grow into gods we come to worship—gods who serve as judge and jury for all who fall short of their dictates. Clear boundaries become walls of separation dividing human relationships and community, and the enforcers quickly draw lines around the righteous and the unrighteous. Legalism prompts one to declare her “virtue” as the clearly superior standard. Perhaps humans find it easier to love legalities because it is easier than loving people. People are inconsistent and imperfect, and are more easily controlled and confined by rules...human beings often miss the command to love God and our neighbors as we love ourselves. As legalists of many stripes, we often prefer to apply our community rules broadly and widely as a function of our self-love. But in the idolatry of legalism and the attempt to prove self-righteousness, we ironically depict a truth spoken long ago: The letter kills but the Spirit gives life." (Shull)

The book this is based off of is pop-evangelical mush that I think most of Gaf would be embarrassed to read, cheesier than the Left Behind series, and largely appeals to the same people who like contemporary Christian rock.

That some evangelical Christians are taking issue with it is too bad because the book's audience is evangelical Christians. I think it's probably getting criticism similar to how a Dan Brown novel would have gotten criticism from Catholics. There are a good number of Catholics who went onto think that Dan Brown was presenting something historically accurate or sort of historically accurate in a novel like the Da Vinci Code, and of course, no, he isn't (although, well, Brown may think he is...). I think the Evangelicals responding to this are doing so as a cautionary to tale to other Evangelicals of, like, "don't put too much emphasis on this as being scripturally sound..."

D i Z

That's.The. Same. Thing.

This ain't a Gaf problem, this is a problem within the base itself.

The scripture you are referring to is found in 1 Peter 3:3-4. The writer of the verse makes no mention of wearing makeup.

People, from all walks of life, tend to act on the belief that God's love can be earned through rituals or merit based performance. The Bible defines these actions as "legalism." Jesus never taught it, rebuked those who practiced it, and declared that He came to set people free from this type of thinking.

Yeah but back in those times, the plaiting of hair was seen as lewd because that's the style that lewd women wore. and the putting on of apparel really wasn't outright banned or forbidden. He was just trying to stress that Christians shouldn't put too much stock on their outward appearance and focus inward instead.

The problem is people take stuff like this and run with it, letting it define their little sect of Christianity and everyone else has it wrong.

I like the passage you posted, it's very true and would upset a lot of these Christians who are guilty of it.

EDIT:
That's.The. Same. Thing.

This ain't a Gaf problem, this is a problem within the base itself.
Funny how you're the only one who noticed that. I didn't notice what I did until way after I posted and thought I'd get called out for it.

But yeah, pretty much the same thing.

Wasn't there a part of the bible where god came down as a man and attacked someone only to end up getting beat up and ending the fight by breaking the guys arm with magic?

...No? There's a story where God sends an Angel to wrestle a guy, and they end fighting for like two days or something to a stalemate. It was the first live wrestling PPV.

Breads

Banned
[A bunch of bullshit by a dishonest person...]

So your primary complaint is that we aren't talking about the things you want to talk about?

Keep in mind that this your original complaint.

The title of the thread doesn't line up with even the quotes that the OP made from the article. When they talk about theological implications, they aren't talking about whether God the Father is a black or white man.

I don't know what anything you just said has to do with what we're talking about. The quotes are pretty clear and fairly represented. Why don't you start by addressing them before diving into articles several times removed from the OP.

Chaplain

The problem is people take stuff like this and run with it, letting it define their little sect of Christianity and everyone else has it wrong.

Our selfish genes tend to push us in this direction. Christians are not exempt from this dilemma. Which is why Jesus' solution to this problem was death: choosing to die to our desires and put God and others first. Anytime I fail to do this, self-centeredness creeps up and dominates my actions.

I like the passage you posted, it's very true and would upset a lot of these Christians who are guilty of it.

I agree. Leaders in churches have incorporated America's individualistic life style and merged it with Jesus' teaching. Thus, creating a Jesus' after their own image and followers who follow a Jesus that is radically different to the one found in the Bible.

Chaplain

...No? There's a story where God sends an Angel to wrestle a guy, and they end fighting for like two days or something to a stalemate. It was the first live wrestling PPV.

Actually, Jacob wrestles with God.

“As in Genesis 18, God appears here in anthropomorphically realistic form. There is no indication that there is anything unusual about his physical form as a man. He is scarcely a match for Jacob, who is himself not drawn as a terrifically intimidating character. The man is thus implicitly not larger than human size nor beyond human strength. He is not stronger than Jacob even when the latter has a dislocated hip. He engages in very human activity, as in Genesis 18, and never acts out-side of the bounds of his human form. The most straightforward reading of each of these two texts is that God appears to the patriarch in theophany, just as we see in myriad other texts, and that in these two cases, the form of theophany is human.” (Union Theological Seminary Professor Esther J. Hamori, "When gods were men: The embodied God in biblical and Near Eastern literature," p. 25).

y2dvd

Not really. A lot of these silly rules are either from the old testament (Christians should be pulling from the New) or they're completely made up.

I mean, there are churches who say women can't wear makeup or wear jeans. Where is that in the Bible? Do you really think that'll prevent you from getting in heaven? Or dating someone out of your race? Or worshiping snakes? The list goes on.

What makes the old testament any less truer than the new testament asides from where you placed your faith in?

What makes the old testament any less truer than the new testament asides from where you placed your faith in?

The NT brings a new covenant making most, if not all, of the rules mentioned in the OT obsolete. Jesus came to basically make it easier to seek salvation among many other things.

But there are a lot of rules and traditions that just aren't needed but some groups like to take one passage and let it define them or make up rules based off of it. It's depressing, really.

If it wasn't clear before, Evangelicals showed themselves for the scum that they are after their support for Trump. Let them be pissed.

MindofKB

Well, the Bible does say that man was created in God's image.

Also, it has been proven that human lineage began in Africa.

Soooooooo....yeaaaaaaaaah.......

Chaplain

Yet they have no problem proclaiming God chose a fat, atheist xenophobic narcissist.

The Old Testament is full of examples of God giving His people wicked rulers as a punishment for living affluent and materialistic life styles.

"When God wants to judge a nation, He gives them wicked rulers." (John Calvin)

God's purpose in this is to use turn people from their sins (repentance) and to live a self-sacrificial life to Him and others.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Old Testament is full of examples of God giving His people wicked rulers as a punishment for living affluent and materialistic life styles.

God's purpose in this is to use turn people from their sins (repentance) and to live a self-sacrificial life to Him and others.

There's game analyst making god sound kind and reasonable again.

You do know that a hell of a lot of people think Trump is Jesus, right?

Chaplain

You do know that a hell of a lot of people think Trump is Jesus, right?

I agree. This is known as idolatry.

“When human beings give their heartfelt allegiance to and worship that which is not God, they progressively cease to reflect the image of God. One of the primary laws of human life is that you become like what you worship; what’s more, you reflect what you worship not only to the object itself but also outward to the world around. Those who worship money increasingly define themselves in terms of it and increasingly treat other people as creditors, debtors, partners, or customers rather than as human beings. Those who worship sex define themselves in terms of it (their preferences, their practices, their past histories) and increasingly treat other people as actual or potential sex objects. Those who worship power define themselves in terms of it and treat other people as either collaborators, competitors, or pawns. These and many other forms of idolatry combine in a thousand ways, all of them damaging to the image-bearing quality of the people concerned and of those whose lives they touch.” (New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom