• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split Over Donald Trump and Cut Off by Culture Wars, Evangelicals Despair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

I honestly think that if you have a private chapel or whatnot, you can decide whether to let gay couples get married there. If they're against it and you're a gay couple, why would you want to go get married at a place that doesn't like you anyhow? Take your business to the people who don't mind.

They shouldn't have had to settle, but people deciding not to associate with them afterwards? Well, that's the other side of the coin, you reap what you sow.

We've made bigger strides on homosexual equality than I thought we'd see in decades, I can see where the sense of whiplash came from. In 10 years it went from a distinct minority of Americans to a full majority. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Evangelics were always sold a bag of bad goods by the Republicans. At a state level they might push evangelical policies but at the national level they were always just a given constituency they could ignore aside from lip service. And they've always had this weird persecution complex, even when they were outright running the show for years. It's strange.

Wag

Trump needs to be elected President before The Rapture can happen...

Democrats will be left behind.

Carcetti

Now, a year later, the Odgaards and other conservative evangelicals interviewed in central Iowa say they feel as though they have been abandoned. Many say that they have no genuine champion in the presidential race and that the country has turned its back on them. Americans are leaving church, same-sex marriage is the law of the land, and the country has moved on to debating transgender rights. While other Americans are anxious about the economy, jobs and terrorism, conservative Christians say they fear for the nation’s very soul. Some worry that the nation has strayed so far that God’s punishment is imminent.

So, this is what it feels like to take pleasure in someone's suffering and the devastation of their worldview.

Seik

Banned
“I’m worried for America if we don’t turn away from abortion,” said Mrs. Berkheimer, who is 48. “I think our country is going to be punished, with a nuclear weapon. I don’t think you can mock God forever.”

God have his finger on the red button, better be fucking careful.

sflufan

Banned
Well as I said, I grew up sort of catholic, and so my exposure to religion and such was religion classes in elementary school (keep in mind I'm in my late 30s, so this was in the 80s) and we didn't have Sunday school up here in Quebec.

But even then all we were told is that god loved everyone despite their sins and that if you were repentant for your sins everything is okay. Like... confess to them, be sorry about it, and everything's honky-dory. None of that wrathful stuff, it was basically "do this or else you'll end up in hell" but absolutely NOTHING of the "do this or else god is going to annihilate you and everyone you love. Oh also btw it's not only you, but everyone else also, so, well, make sure they also do it".

That's because Roman Catholicism is a very different form of Christian belief than that of Protestant evangelical Christians. Roman Catholicism does NOT take a literal interpretation of the Bible. In fact, Catholicism is somewhat wishy-washy on the notion that one has to be a Christian to be admitted into heaven.

I honestly think that if you have a private chapel or whatnot, you can decide whether to let gay couples get married there. If they're against it and you're a gay couple, why would you want to go get married at a place that doesn't like you anyhow? Take your business to the people who don't mind.

no, they are providing a service. you cannot discriminate who you provide it to, period. being cavalier about it is disgusting as many have marched, fought, and died to keep people from denying services to groups of people

TimeKillr

That's because Roman Catholicism is a very different form of Christian belief than that of Protestant evangelical Christians. Roman Catholicism does NOT take a literal interpretation of the Bible. In fact, Catholicism is somewhat wishy-washy on the notion that one has to be a Christian to be admitted into heaven.

Ahh see this makes sense. It's pretty different.

Doesn't mean I don't think it's fucking nuts, but hey.

diaspora

Social conservatives being left behind?

complaining-Charlie-Day-Rob-McElhenney-Its-Always-Sunny-in-Philadelphia.gif

I honestly think that if you have a private chapel or whatnot, you can decide whether to let gay couples get married there.

They rent it out. It's a business.

What if they wanted to decide if interracial couples could rent it out? Would that be OK to you too?

Would it be OK if a hotel owner didn't want to let gay couples rent out rooms?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They don't though. That's the thing. Very few people actually do believe that abortion is like a murder, despite what they say.

Why do I believe this?

Because people in nazi germany *died* protesting the government and trying to stop. Students. Military people. Ordinary citizens.

If these people honestly and truly believed that another holocaust was happening, they'd be doing a hell of a lot more than praying and voting for shitstains in government. As I would hope most people would.

I have sat and listened to conservative christians break down into honest tears because they truly believe that a fertilized egg has a soul and the soul is crying in torment when being aborted and that everyone involved is literally satanically evil. If they get triggered thinking about it they go on for days in fury and rage. Because this is the reality they've been conditioned to accept as true, same as the sky is blue.

However, the vast majority of them won't go out and protest or attack abortion clinics because, in my experience, the evangelical culture of the US is also conditioned to keep to themselves and wait for God to take care of things - reward the faithful and punish the guilty and non-believers. A lot of them really do screw themselves up in terror believing God is going to smite the country.

The power of their fear and their sincere belief manifests itself in how they vote. They are serious single issue voters when it comes to a couple of things like abortion. I have also listened to conservative christians say that they know politicians lie and won't keep almost any promise - but they'll vote for the politician who says they'll ban abortion, because it's their only hope at stopping abortion.

SGRX

What's that? They've begun to see themselves as persecuted minorities due to their tendency to persecute minorities? What a fucking shame.

HylianTom

Banned
The culture wars may have swung socially, but they're still very much in contention legally. In November, we either put this puppy to bed legally, or we give the evangelical movement new life.

Hillary wins? SCOTUS - along with the rest of the judiciary - goes liberal for decades. The vast majority of cultural conflicts that go to the federal courts will be decided in favor of the social liberal side. Republicans can rack-up wins at the state level and pass backwards-ass laws, but those laws will be challenged in court the moment the ink dries on the governors' signatures. Their laws will be DOA - at the federal, state, and local levels.

Trump wins? SCOTUS remains right-leaning. Conservative state governments will pass whatever laws they wish, and a conservative judicial branch will be more inclined to not intervene. Minorities in red states will suffer the most; their appeals for help from the judiciary will largely be shrugged-off. The judiciary's general position will become basically "do what you want with those people; not our problem."

For these reasons, I am hopeful about November. And part of me is terrified if this goes poorly. I'd love a Hillary win to end this culture war, once and for all. The seat on SCOTUS that we need to do so is literally sitting open at this moment.

Piggus

"Jesus is going to come back. He’s going to bring the perfect government. Until then, we live in a world of sin.”

ie the "perfect government" that persecutes people for how they were born.

The sooner these people die off the better.

The culture wars may have swung socially, but they're still very much in contention legally. In November, we either put this puppy to bed legally, or we give the evangelical movement new life.

Hillary wins? SCOTUS - along with the rest of the judiciary - goes liberal for decades. The vast majority of cultural conflicts that go to the federal courts will be decided in favor of the social liberal side. Republicans can rack-up wins at the state level and pass backwards-ass laws, but those laws will be challenged in court the moment the ink dries on the governors' signatures. Their laws will be DOA - at the federal, state, and local levels.

Trump wins? SCOTUS remains right-leaning. Conservative state governments will pass whatever laws they wish, and a conservative judicial branch will be more inclined to not intervene. Minorities in red states will suffer the most; their appeals for help from the judiciary will largely be shrugged-off. The judiciary's general position will become basically "do what you want with those people; not our problem."

For these reasons, I am hopeful about November. And part of me is terrified if this goes poorly. I'd love a Hillary win to end this culture war, once and for all. The seat on SCOTUS that we need to do so is literally sitting open at this moment.

Bu bu but what if I'm a sensitive, persecuted millennial who believes Jill "Defender from Wifi" Stein or Gary "Aleppo?" Johnson will save us from the corrupt clutches of the establishment?!

Codeblue

Suddenly, we were in the minority. That was kind of a scary feeling.

And you still can't muster any empathy for those you want to discriminate against? If it's scary feeling like a minority, I can't imagine what they'd do if they were actually living it.

Fuchsdh

They rent it out. It's a business.

What if they wanted to decide if interracial couples could rent it out? Would that be OK to you too?

Would it be OK if a hotel owner didn't want to let gay couples rent out rooms?

Especially in this day and age, if you're not renting to interracial couples you're likely going to see your business die.

If I've got a room I rent out to meetings, I'd rather not rent it to scientologists, or the Westboro Baptist Church, or an anti-gay conversion group.

We exempt religious organizations from public accommodation consideration, I don't see why those are respected when individual religious beliefs aren't.

Honestly the Supreme Court is the biggest reason I can't fathom why people are fine playing perfect idealists about voting. Pragmatically even if you don't like the candidates you're essentially asking for decades of court rulings you hate and entrenched state laws with no recourse (because lol you won't vote in your state elections and the conservatives then go to town on you.)

Ninjimbo

I do feel for them in a way. I can relate to feeling alienated and unwanted and in, many ways, misunderstood but that's the way society is heading. They either evolve to stay relevant or stay basking in isolation. I know it's scary and frustrating to go against your core beliefs. It's also crazy to think that most people can change their religious views on a whim. Life doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, we have ideologies that are diametrically opposed to each other and absolutely cannot co-exist in their current state. One of them has to win out and it's crystal clear which one has the advantage right now.

It just makes me sad.

Blader

I don't understand why evangelicals who believe they're going to heaven are afraid of God punishing their country.

Honestly the Supreme Court is the biggest reason I can't fathom why people are fine playing perfect idealists about voting. Pragmatically even if you don't like the candidates you're essentially asking for decades of court rulings you hate and entrenched state laws with no recourse (because lol you won't vote in your state elections and the conservatives then go to town on you.)

A lot of people have no idea of the impact the Supreme Court has.

Piecake

It gets worse - all of the eggs that are technically fertilized but never attach to the uterine wall (nearly half of all eggs) are, by their own logic, babies with souls that they never even realized existed only to die.

So basically by going through the motions to conceive they end up killing at least as many babies as they create.

Religion is fucking ridiculous.

God agrees with you

The LORD said to Moses, “Count all the firstborn Israelite males who are a month old or more and make a list of their names. (Numbers 3:40)

Apparently God didn't think it was worth counting babies younger than a month old as well

"If the person is from a month old up to five years old, your valuation shall be for a male five shekels of silver, and for a female your valuation shall be three shekels of silver." (Leviticus 27:6)

He even valued children less (which is sad)

"When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."(Exodus 21:22-25)

And punishes an 'abortion' that is not wanted by the parent with a fine.

It is hard to fathom that God would punish a couple who voluntarily gets an abortion much more severely.

conservative evangelicals interviewed in central Iowa say they feel as though they have been abandoned. Many say that they have no genuine champion in the presidential race and that the country has turned its back on them. Americans are leaving church, same-sex marriage is the law of the land, and the country has moved on to debating transgender rights.

They're right!

Lomax

They might have been split a few months ago, but they aren't any more. I see it every day, a desperate rationalization for why they are going to vote for Trump. It's why his numbers are so much better now, the people that were supposedly going against him from the right have just convinced themselves he still just a Republican and somehow "the lesser evil." The human mind's ability to self justify is fascinating and disturbing.

Soriku

I don't get this line of thinking. If God wanted to punish America for abortions being a thing, A) Why hasn't he done it already?, and B) Why isn't he punishing other countries?

Seriously, all it takes is two seconds of rational thought to be like "Oh wait, this is stupid."

Abortions have to hit a certain quota before God smites the country with a nuke, or something.

People who say stuff like this aren't very bright. No need to think so hard.

Black_Red

I don't get this line of thinking. If God wanted to punish America for abortions being a thing, A) Why hasn't he done it already?, and B) Why isn't he punishing other countries?

Seriously, all it takes is two seconds of rational thought to be like "Oh wait, this is stupid."

In my country we had floodings the same year we aproved a "civil union" (A very small step torwards gay marriage) and the evangelics didnt stop talking about how it was a punishment for weeks.
That kind of people will always see those punishes when they can use them to prove their points and ingnore them on the other cases ("That was the devil")

Nepenthe

There is a tiny bit of sympathy from me. These people are still human beings, and no human being wants to feel ostracized and abandoned by their social circles and political establishment. At the same time, they leave us no choice. A society built upon an ideal of equality for all cannot tolerate and codify viewpoints that unnecessarily and aggressively discriminate against minorities. It's the same situation with Rust Belt sufferers and other poor whites who nonetheless cannot come to grips with their own white fragility. I understand no one wants to be poor and face a dead end future, and the general lack of actual political representation is concerning. But if you rebuke the indirect help of one political party because you've been told welfare is going to be given to those lazy blacks who are the reason your jobs are gone in the first place (somehow), and you're tired of being called racist for it by the political party that can help, you're digging your own grave. Literally you can't be helped.

Voras

I think these people are nuts...

But I don't think you ever went to Sunday school, bro. The God of the bible is a wrathful motherfucker. (see Adam and Eve, see Noah, etc)

See, that's the thing I don't get. As someone who was raised Catholic and went to Sunday school, though has moved away from religion entirely, I never really heard all the wrath of god stuff, it seems so strange for these churches to focus so much on the Old Testament over the New. I remember a lot more about the love of god and forgiveness and all that stuff, all the Jesus stuff.

I don't understand why some old testament nonsense overrules the basic teachings of Jesus, especially considering it's called Christianity, you would think Christ would be the most important part of that. I mean I know that the actual reason is that people just hate change and want to justify their own personal biases and bigotry but they must do some crazy mental gymnastics to make it all fit in their heads.

They espouse outdated and dangerous viewpoints on how people should lead their lives. No, you simply cannot refuse service to gay couples and pretend this is still how the world works.

I have no sympathy for people who get called out on this bullshit.

Luschient

And that's why we really mustn't be letting God enrich uranium.

Time we slap some sanctions on God apparently.

Having grown up southern Baptist, I can tell you the following:
  • The whole "God will punish the country" thing is absolutely believed. If an attack happens here, it's not due to groups of people hating us or blowback from our overseas actions....nope, it's because abortion is legal.
  • Abortion is the single worst thing ever created in the history of the planet. People like this literally cast their vote depending on a candidate's stance on that sole issue, fuck anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom