• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christina Aguilera has a little accident during Etta James funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there are news stories that have commented on this? I just watched the video and can't see any...fluids...

dr._strangelove_jack_ripper.jpg

royalan

Delivery choices aside, that was during B2B, where she sounded great and back to form:

Oh Mother

It was after that point where things started going downhill in terms of consistency and overall vocal health. However, even in her vocal prime, she was and is still victim to the whole vocal histrionics that undermine any sense of musicality to her singing.

I think it's more a case of her vocals maturing with age.

I will agree with the overuse of vocal histrionics in some of her performances, especially when she was younger. Ironically, that's why I love Bionic. It's her least successful album but, vocally, she sings at a much higher level than she ever has:

I Am

All I Need

fbi

Banned
Showed the gf, said it was fake tan. Oh well its still embarassing I guess.

I like how you sound disappointed :)

I think she takes that dug Alli for weight loss. You sometimes dont' know that your leaking back there.

doesn't make sense that fake tan runs like that, you rub it in and thats that, when you sweat it doesn't affect it

Mumei

Eh, I think it's because it's a hell of a lot more difficult to consistently churn out performances of a BIG song under live conditions that she was able to record under zero pressure in-studio. It's something a lot of the "divas" face (Whitney, Mariah especially), and it really only affects the up-tempo numbers. Christina can nail most of her ballads in her sleep.

Oh, sure. Even at their primes, Whitney and Mariah would take songs down a half step to make them less of a burden to sing live; most people won't notice it and it can mean a world of difference. And they have songs that no reasonable person would expect them to sing completely live at the same pitch or do the same runs that they did in studio when they had the opportunity to try multiple times and piece together parts from different takes. And even when they had songs that they made more difficult live, those songs were usually just brought up to the level of the toned down songs, if that makes sense.

But Whitney and Mariah in their primes very, very rarely had the issues that Christina has had consistently her entire career, up-tempo or no.

For example, here's another video of Christina singing with Andrea Bocelli at a slightly higher range than she normally does live...and absolutely nailing the entire song, accent and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWQPqsfG-0&feature=related

I wouldn't say it's technique she lacks. If I had to criticize my diva for one thing, it would be a lack of restraint.

Right, she's fine when she does that. It's when she does the Christina Mode thing BlueTsunami talked about that she has all those issues. When she's singing a standard or singing a duet, it seems to have a moderating effect on her so she doesn't do that nonsense.

RBH

This wh0re has no class. She appears on the pulpit at church with her shirt open to her belly button, her fake ta tas popping out and her skin tight skirt clinging to her (really ample) thighs.

The one thing Christina forgot was class. Have some class, you ignorant, disrespectful beeyotch. Oh ... and learn how to iron your clothes. They look like they just came from the Goodwill bin.

omg

SaintZ

yXKMo.gif

Seriously, that's just gross. And all the Bionic talk is hilarious; the slut in me likes Desnudate (Get Naked) from that album though. Aside from that song, I haven't liked anything from Floptina since Hurt.

3phemeral

I think it's more a case of her vocals maturing with age.

I will agree with the overuse of vocal histrionics in some of her performances, especially when she was younger. Ironically, that's why I love Bionic. It's her least successful album but, vocally, she sings at a much higher level than she ever has:

I Am

All I Need

Those are both very lovely, but not necessarily the same thing. Most of the issues arise when she's actually belting more upper-ranged notes that show a clear affect on her voice. Her tone becomes gritty and strained, and it's nothing to do with nerves.

Now, she's certainly sung outside of her range during her debut (I Turn to You), but she's sung the same notes that she now strains on with ease. Key example would be At Last from MSB vs any recent performance (I won't count the funeral because she was obviously emotional and may have affected her vocals). Very different tones, nothing that maturity could totally account for. She's also not 40+.

I can't get over the fact that it looks brown. Blood can turn brown-ish, but not usually the second it's dripping out of your body. Honestly, my first thought was she ate taco bell before the funeral.

royalan

Oh, sure. Even at their primes, Whitney and Mariah would take songs down a half step to make them less of a burden to sing live; most people won't notice it and it can mean a world of difference. And they have songs that no reasonable person would expect them to sing completely live at the same pitch or do the same runs that they did in studio when they had the opportunity to try multiple times and piece together parts from different takes. And even when they had songs that they made more difficult live, those songs were usually just brought up to the level of the toned down songs, if that makes sense.

But Whitney and Mariah in their primes very, very rarely had the issues that Christina has had consistently her entire career, up-tempo or no.

I take it you haven't listened to Mariah's Unplugged album? Recorded during her prime (1992) and actually very messy at parts.

Whitney...well...there's nothing that can save her voice now, but she was something out of this world in her prime.

Those are both very lovely, but not necessarily the same thing. Most of the issues arise when she's actually belting more upper-ranged notes that show a clear affect on her voice. Her tone becomes gritty and strained, and it's nothing to do with nerves.

Now, she's certainly sung outside of her range during her debut (I Turn to You), but she's sung the same notes that she now strains on with ease. Key example would be At Last from MSB vs any recent performance (I won't count the funeral because she was obviously emotional and may have affected her vocals). Very different tones, nothing that maturity could totally account for. She's also not 40+.

She can still hit the same notes in-studio. Most recent Christina recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KyDBv56CRk

I think her live issues can soundly be blamed on her needing to arrange her songs differently live. Most of her arrangements are virtually unchanged from the studio recording, which puts her in a position where she has to constantly reach for notes on the fly that she was able to take her time with while recording.

It would also help if she stayed away from belting so much. Unfortunately, she made her name on that type of singing, so that's all her label ever wants her to do. Listen to disc two of Bionic for an example of the types of songs she wanted to featured - most of them very cool in tone.

I don't know about you guys but I am more unnerved by the fact that Cynosure exist than I am about Christina's spray tan/period blood.

That guy really creeps me out in a way no GAF member ever has.

akira28

I mean...she has range, but so do a lot of singers. She was hot because she was the skinny, pretty, blonde girl who could be the Mick Jagger to Brittany Spears' wholesome good girl.

edit:that ain't no spray tan. valiant try, ladies.

3phemeral

I take it you haven't listened to Mariah's Unplugged album? Recorded during her prime (1992) and actually very messy at parts.

Whitney...well...there's nothing that can save her voice now, but she was something out of this world in her prime.

She can still hit the same notes in-studio. Most recent Christina recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KyDBv56CRk

I think her live issues can soundly be blamed on her needing to arrange her songs differently live. Most of her arrangements are virtually unchanged from the studio recording, which puts her in a position where she has to constantly reach for notes on the fly that she was able to take her time with while recording.

It would also help if she stayed away from belting so much. Unfortunately, she made her name on that type of singing, so that's all her label ever wants her to do. Listen to disc two of Bionic for an example of the types of songs she wanted to featured - most of them very cool in tone.

That's the reason why I pointed out "At last." It's the only song she's sung consistently the same style from her debut to now, so you don't have to worry about pacing affecting breath support causing issues with sustained notes. She now dodges notes she once hit with much more ease, and for those she does hit, you can hear the gritty texture that's not present when she goes for those lower-ranged, velvety notes.

I can't really count studio, because like you said, she has all the time in the world to hit the note properly. She just doesn't apply the same discipline to her live performances that she once did. It's affected her pitch and her upper belting-range freedom.

As for her personal vocal direction in wanting to sing less vocally demanding songs, she's had more than enough time to go in that direction, but if she were really committed, she'd have done it already. Yet she makes the conscious decision to go and continue to sing that way (see The Voice live judges performances).

royalan

As for her personal vocal direction in wanting to sing less vocally demanding songs, she's had more than enough time to go in that direction, but if she were really committed, she'd have done it already. Yet she makes the conscious decision to go and continue to sing that way (see The Voice live judges performances).

Only time will tell (and her new single that's dropping any week now), but that's why I posted those two songs in an earlier post. Vocally, Christina was a lot more restrained in Bionic than any of her previous albums, and most of tracks tracks on the second disc were just as subtle. She'll always be a belter, but she's shied away from a lot of "race to the top" type singing she's known for. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't been following her career.

agrajag

Banned
That is really horrifying, but I guess it's nature and we're all overreacting just a little bit. Maybe we all take the wonders of tampons and other kind of underpaddings for granted. I imagine back in the day this type of stuff happened all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom