• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas gift for non gaming girlfriend

Pilgrimm

Topic.

She used to be huge into halo for some reason but that's it. We're expecting our firstborn in February and it's hard to do much these days since everything is exhausting.

I figured maybe I can introduce something gaming wise?

DonF

depends of your budget.

any variation of nintendo 3ds/2ds new/old/lite.

edit: I know its not a christmas gift, but if you have any console, get overcooked. You both can play it, my gf loved it. Also, you can try get her her own controller.

Pilgrimm

Why not buy her a gift she’ll enjoy and get use out of, instead of forcing your hobby on to her as a gift?
that's the thing.

Getting desperate here! Due to the pregnancy and heavy snow it's almost 99 percent being at home all the time.

I'm so desperate I'm trying to get her engaged into anything - games would be just one of my thoughts. I'm open for any suggestion really.

Budget is less of an issue.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A gift card entitleing her to recieve 5 back massages from you. And a halo keyring.

prag16

Banned
Topic.

She used to be huge into halo for some reason but that's it. We're expecting our firstborn in February and it's hard to do much these days since everything is exhausting.

I figured maybe I can introduce something gaming wise?

"Everything is exhausting" now? And you're saying this BEFORE having any kids.

Oh my sweet summer child..

Pilgrimm

"Everything is exhausting" now? And you're saying this BEFORE having any kids.

Oh my sweet summer child..

For her yeah.

She's also still working 5 days a week. So after that there are no activities really. We watch a lot of movies and do board games for leisure time.

That's why I'm trying to figure out something she can enjoy at home for Xmas.

Pantz

Steel Battalion
UM84dAL.jpg

wipeout364

Get her a board game that you can play together. Race for the Galaxy is sci-fi and a great two player game. you can by the App on iTunes or steam to learn the rules as its a little complicated but has tons of replay value.

Jacqli

Well, I can use the example of my sister. She barely plays anything, but she actually liked: Until Dawn (and probably would like Hidden Agenda), Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Phoenix Wright saga, 999 (although she did not play further than this one) and social games like Monopoly (if this one is not right up your alley, there are some great coop games like Overcooked or Keep Talking). So I would start with this type of games.

Steel Battalion is still a great suggestion though.

Steel Battalion
UM84dAL.jpg

Legit laughed out loud trying to picture her face if she actually opened this on Christmas morning. edit to add: sorry for assuming you celebrate Christmas... I figured an apology would be easier than changing the comment cause you really have to picture the whole scenario to get the lulz.

Hedge

If anything, I'd give her somerhing she can use when she's tired, stressed out and needs a few minutes to relax. I'd get her a pair of really high quality headphones and an assortment of no-stress/meditation/classical/nature sounds/whatever on something that can provide power enough for the headphones.

Good quality music and something to take her from the everyday woes for a few minutes.
In my experience gaming either requires you to focus - which can be difficult - and sometimes makes you frustrated. Not really something I'd add on top of pregnancy.

that's the thing.

Getting desperate here! Due to the pregnancy and heavy snow it's almost 99 percent being at home all the time.

I'm so desperate I'm trying to get her engaged into anything - games would be just one of my thoughts. I'm open for any suggestion really.

Still don't get it. Why do you need to try and get her into gaming? She doesn't have any interests?

Sounds like a complete waste of time/money and she'll probably fake enjoying the gifts.

Z..

Mainly staying at home and not a gamer, huh? Literature is the answer, then. Board games are great, too, Scythe is great fun with 2 or even alone, for example.

Bowl0l

I believe your girlfriend will appreciate it if all arrangements to deliver the baby and taking care the baby have been made.

Shin

Banned
that's the thing.

Buy her an engagement ring :)

Pilgrimm

My gf who isn't that much of a gamer got a switch and really loves it, maybe consider it?

We have several laptops and computers.
A ps4
A ps3
A switch
A 3ds

So getting something like this for her would probably not work that well.

I do like the board games idea though. What she's playing a lot is mobile games. Tetris and candy crush. Was thinking maybe an iPad but I brought that up one day already and she'd say we wouldn't need one.

I'd love something special though.... Like are there any pre-built arcades to purchase? Or a way to build one? Then she pry wouldn't want to stand that much anyway.

Everything is ready for the baby and her. I did that exclusively the last few months.

She tried VR and doesn't like it. This is the worst. Never had much of an issue since usually I'm not tied to at home stuff. Jewelry and clothes are boring... Never gift that on big holidays.

The thing is I bought most of the stuff she likes anyway already throughout the year to make the pregnancy as comfy as possible.

As for any smart home appliance she'd just think I bought it since I'm huge into smart tech....

Gah. I'm going crazy and this is only the 2nd of December.

Help.

I'd love something special though.... Like are there any pre-built arcades to purchase? Or a way to build one? Then she pry wouldn't want to stand that much anyway.

I don't know why you're still considering other gifts for a pregnant non-gamer if arcade cabinet is an option. Could you possibly fit her inside an After Burner cockpit? Those are more affordable these days than you think.

Legit laughed out loud trying to picture her face if she actually opened this on Christmas morning. edit to add: sorry for assuming you celebrate Christmas... I figured an apology would be easier than changing the comment cause you really have to picture the whole scenario to get the lulz.
The thread name is “Christmas gift for my non gaming girlfriend”.

Skyfox

I know how you feel bro. My wife hates gaming and its been a nightmare since she became pregnant.

My kid is nearly 2 now and its hard to get proper gaming time in.

The switch has been an absolute Godsend although the lack of sleep makes it an effort sometimes.

I used a photobook website this year to make my wife an album of our daughter's early days. In the past Ive typed her favourite books into amazon to see what recommendations it gave back after. Ive also asked a friend of hers who has similar purchasing habits to suggest ideas.

Getting gifts for women is hell.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I'd get her something non-gaming related....jewelry is always a big score, lol.

Yep, would vote for this one. Don't do gaming. It would be like her giving you tickets to go see a Broadway musical or something like that ;).

I usually buy trips abroad for my girl friend. Surprise her sometimes with tickets for a random airplane trip on the weekend. She seems to love it :).

milkham

If she plays tetris on her mobile phone, how about getting her a dedicated tetris machine? an old gameboy pocket with tetrix dx cart?

38033518536_257409e82f.jpg

Comandr

How about an iPad? Even if she has a smart phone, having a nice big(ger) screen to herself that she can facebook, watch videos, read (How about including a Kindle Unlimited subscription with it?). Then she can still be close to you on the couch when YOU game or do whatever. An iPad has a real premium feel to it as well, unwrapping that definitely has a lot more "wow" factor than unwrapping a gaming thing that you are obviously trying to push onto her.

Something like an iPad says "I bought you something nice, that is just for you, to use however you want."

Jewelry is like.. okay neat but.. it's not going to keep her entertained while shes at home with the kid on maternity leave.

Barring something like that, what does she do in her free time? What does she do around the house? Is there something you can get her that would make her life easier or more enjoyable somehow? Does she always complain about something in particular? Try paying close attention to her for the next couple days and see if anything crops up.

Edit: Maybe consider some bath and body items. A voucher for a spa day to pamper herself. Maybe some bath soaks or some lotions she's getting low on.

The most important thing here is that you show her that you are thinking of HER and HER needs and wants.

Pilgrimm

As I said before she thinks an iPad is unnecessary. Bathing is a bad idea I guess she gets real dizzy due to pregnancy.

I asked her tonight if there's nothing she'd want (not for Xmas just in general -anything really)

Answer: "healthy baby and to see you happy "

I feel like a jerk not finding anything that's perfect... Or at least pretty good.

I guess it's an issue that if there's something we want or need we just buy it no matter the occasion.

Gah. Maybe I should buy her a few amiibos she really seems to like these. Nothing special but at least she'll like it.

Brizzo24

Few ideas OP,

1. iPad + Netflix
  2. Nice pair of headphones
  3. Books on tape
  4. Puzzles! I love this brand: Ravensburger
  5. Baking utensils, ingredients, and mixes. Like cupcake tins with sprinkles and whatnot. Baking is fun and therapeutic.

Oh, and maybe a bunch of chick magazines, some dark chocolate, and whatever else she may be craving from the pregnancy. Just no sushi ;)

I bought my wife a Kindle as she was pregnant. She's still using it almost every day. It's relaxing, not very expensive and easy to handle. I also couldn't really get her to play games, even on the 3DS.

Sex decreases significantly after a new born. You getting your non-gaming girlfriend video games for Xmas will bring your sex rate to negative numbers for the next year.

Top Bottom