• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

Ok... so Im jewish, but I love Christmas. Especially commercials and songs, so... if I wanted to make a classic Christmas mix, which songs would be essential?

Xenon

God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan is one of my current favs.

There is also an alternative version of Baby It's Cold Outside thats pretty cool. I dont know who sings it though

Memles

I'm a big fan of "What's This" from The Nightmare Before Christmas and, although it is an acquired taste, "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)" by the Darkness. And, second on the "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by BL and SM. Great stuff.

aparisi2274

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms

Winter Wonderland - Dean Martin

White Christmas - The Drifters

Do You Hear What I Hear - Bing Crosby

Hark The Herald Angels Sing - Nat King Cole

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - Dean Martin

A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

I’ll Be Home For Christmas - Bing Crosby

It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas - Perry Como

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
My Christmas mixes usually include these tracks. I can see how it's probably not a great "play during festivities mix" though:

Fear - Fuck Christmas
The Vandals - It's Christmastime For My Penis
Ramones - Merry Christmas
The Dickies - Silent Night
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Sloppy Seconds - Hooray For Santa Claus
El Vez - Feliz Navi-Nada
Pansy Division - Homo Christmas

Vgamer

B000002G0K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amy Grants "Home for Christmas" is one of the best Christmas albums out there start to finish IMO. Check it out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mariah Carey - "all I want for christmas"

"Driving home for Christmas" - not sure who sings this (??)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm an athiest now, but still celebrate with the family and I still love Christmas music. One of my favorite times of the year is driving back home from the big family event on Christmas Eve and listening to Christmas tunes on the radio. The roads are nearly deserted and there's this great peaceful atmosphere. I love it.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Dan said:
I'm an athiest now, but still celebrate with the family and I still love Christmas music. One of my favorite times of the year is driving back home from the big family event on Christmas Eve and listening to Christmas tunes on the radio. The roads are nearly deserted and there's this great peaceful atmosphere. I love it.

haha, same with me (Save the athiest part).

I like Christmas with Johnny Cash. The man in black played some good songs.

Also, Frank Sinatra remade some classics, and you can NEVER go wrong with ole blue eyes.

And let's not forget Wierd Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"

gofreak said:
This stuff is all orchestral, or is there any vocal in it?

there's some vocals, yeah. Each album has a theme running through it, a story if you will. It's a John Olivia and Paul O'Neil thing, and it's pretty good. My mom saw them live a few weeks ago and she said it was the best show she's ever seen. Two days later, she was at an Incubus concert and a little while before that at a Flogging Molly concert. She's 54 and rocking out at a Flogging Molly concert (she's seen them 5 times now).

bune duggy said:
B000002JX6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000AEDW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002ZDVGS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

awesome stuff. Their Beethoven album is pretty good to, though not as Christmas-y

Definitely. Vocally, I think the best stuff is on the first one, second one's not bad. Third one's, eh, so-so. Instrumentally though, just about all their stuff is incredible. And it's true, they will blow you away with their live show. Going to see them this saturday as a matter of fact.

As for other tunes, "Christmas Wrapping" is a must. Don't forget "Father Christmas" by The Kinks either.

3phemeral

My guilty christmas pleasures reside in more pop singer interpretations of traditional christmas songs:

Mariah carey: O Holy Night
Christina Aguilera: Merry Christmas Baby/Chest Nuts Roasting/Hear the Angels (the ending sucks ass, though, I cut it off before the gospel funk addendum)/HYAMLC
Toni Braxton: HYAMLC
Destiny's Child: Opera of the Bells/8 Days of Xmas
Whitney Houston: Who Could Imagine a King

Vgamer said:
B000002G0K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amy Grants "Home for Christmas" is one of the best Christmas albums out there start to finish IMO. Check it out.

Definitely a Classic :p

I'd just get The Sinatra Christmas Album. I think it was recently re-released as Have a Jolly Christmas with Frank Sinatra or something along those lines.

As far as individual songs:

Frank Sinatra - Adeste Fideles
Sinatra - It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Elvis - Santa Claus is Back in Town (awesome song)
Elvis - Blue Christmas (68 Comeback Special version is the best)
Sinatra - The First Noel
Dino - Winter Wonderland
Elvis - O Little Town of Bethlehem

Basically, just get the Sinatra album listed above, in addition to Christmas Peace by Elvis and Dean Martin's recently released Christmas album.

Sinatra, Elvis, and Dino. That's all you need. Even if you don't like any of their other songs, you'll like their Christmas stuff because they are, arguably, the three best singers of all time.

Dilbert

A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio really IS the only Christmas album you need. However, a close second for me would be George Winston's December.

I'm also partial to the music I listed to growing up, strictly for nostalgia's sake:

We Wish You A Merry Christmas and Christmas With Conniff, The Ray Conniff Singers
A Christmas Together, John Denver and the Muppets (this CD rox!)
A Boston Pops Christmas, Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Orchestra

I also love Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas. I also like to add a few odd covers and new Christmas tracks to the mix including:

Saint Etienne- I Was Born on Christmas Day
Frogs- Here Comes Santa's Pussy
Shonen Knife- Space Christmas (hilarious and awesome)

I just threw these in the Diana Krall thread, but
Pas/Cal doing Wham's Last Christmas is rocking, sweet and kind of epic
and
Asobi Secksu's cover of the Ramones' Merry Christmas Baby is hot, funny and raucous

Trans Siberian Orchestra

I saw them in concert last Monday and they rock! Awesome stuff. Lots of electric guitar and percussion, piano...whole enchilada.

firex

I like to go way back and get Frank Sinatra's christmas music, along with Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song.

bjork

Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis
Snoop and Friends - Christmastime in the LBC
Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg - Twas the Night
Santa Claus is Smoking Reefer - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Shonen Knife - Space Christmas
Pizzicato Five - From Party to Party

etc

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Deez nutz roasting on the open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your cock
Although it's been said, many times, many ways
Merry Christmas, fuck you.

Jim Bowie

Here's some more:

Nerf Herder - Here Comes Santa Claus
Atom & His Package - What We Do on Christmas
Dead Kennedys - Advice for Christmas' Past
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia
The Flaming Lips - Christmas at the Zoo
Homegrown - Christmas Crush
Jack Teagarden - Christmas Night in Harlem
MC Chris - Fuckin' up my Christmas
The Ramones - Merry Christmas
Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis
Spinal Tap - Christmas with the Devil
The Polyphonic Spree - Overture, Holiday
The Pixies - The Holiday Song
Lisa Loeb - Snow Day

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
The Coventry Carol - Mediaeval Baebes
O Holy Night - Perry Como
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
Marshmallow World - Darlene Love

Edit: Driving Home For Christmas is by Chris Rea

8bit

Knows the Score
Esquival's Christmas album

other than that, Fairytale of New York & Christmas Wrapping are the only tracks you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom