• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas Spirit is Dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
The radio is full of shitty songs. The christmas specials suck. The retail work is horrid. The last christmas I had was so awful I couldnt even begin.

Ive decked my halls and made with the attempts, but im missing that FEEL. What makes christmas feel like christmas. Its all a meaningless blur.

Holidays are dead :(

Prospero

Still too early for Christmas spirit: you have to pace yourself. Some of those who began celebrating Christmas just after Thanksgiving are already burned out.

White Man

My Christmas spirit died with my father several days before this wretched holiday last year. I could do without this part of the year very easily.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I know where the christmas spirit is.........my childhood.

I blame over-commercialization, corporate and consumer greed, and the rising tide of atheism and political correctness in America.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Spike Spiegel said:
I blame over-commercialization, corporate and consumer greed, and the rising tide of atheism and political correctness in America.

As you get older, Christmas becomes little more than a time to get over-stressed, spend way too much money, spend time with family you'd probably rather not see, and (if you're alone) to feel utterly miserable in said loneliness. I, for one, blame that pesky Jesus...

fallout

Ah ah, be PC now ... the non-denominational festive season spirit is dead.

Seriously though, it's not dead if you ignore all the bullshit. I just had Hanukkah dinner on the first night (7th) with my girlfriend and her father. It was a nice meal, good wine, good conversation. When Christmas rolls around, I'll be dining with my big, fucked up Irish Catholic family. I've found the best way to enjoy it is to mix in the right amount of cynicism and light-heartedness.

Just like every family, we have one king asshole ... but I've now grown old enough to learn what to do. You laugh at him, then go back to whatever conversation you were having.

As for the mass media, fuck em. I avoid stores (not that it's hard, I'm in university), I don't watch TV and I can pick what I want to look at on the net for the most part.

Spike Spiegel said:
WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT SECULAR XMAS!?
crying_baby.gif

Firest0rm

fallout said:
Ah ah, be PC now ... the non-denominational festive season spirit is dead.

Seriously though, it's not dead if you ignore all the bullshit. I just had Hanukkah dinner on the first night (7th) with my girlfriend and her father. It was a nice meal, good wine, good conversation. When Christmas rolls around, I'll be dining with my big, fucked up Irish Catholic family. I've found the best way to enjoy it is to mix in the right amount of cynicism and light-heartedness.

Just like every family, we have one king asshole ... but I've now grown old enough to learn what to do. You laugh at him, then go back to whatever conversation you were having.

As for the mass media, fuck em. I avoid stores (not that it's hard, I'm in university), I don't watch TV and I can pick what I want to look at on the net for the most part.

You kick ass! :)

Memles

Quick, Double Dose of Muppet Family Christmas, Stat! Follow it up with a recent Christmas classic, Elf, and then finish it off with a little Grinch (Animated).

Cures Christmas Anti-Spirit, guaranteed...unless you're a communist.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MrAngryFace said:
The radio is full of shitty songs. The christmas specials suck. The retail work is horrid. The last christmas I had was so awful I couldnt even begin.

Ive decked my halls and made with the attempts, but im missing that FEEL. What makes christmas feel like christmas. Its all a meaningless blur.

MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE BROWN!

Cherubae

What makes christmas feel like christmas.

Giving :) Go to your local stores and see if they have the trees up with ornaments from needy kids. Take an ornament and then go shopping for their toy. You'll feel better.

You can also try to bake some fudge. I just made a batch of pumpkin fudge last week. Tastes like pumpkin pie, but in bite-size pieces.

Wah wah, would you like some cheese with your whine? I was responding to Wasabi who said its dead to you if you've ever worked retail. Maybe I just like working retail or something, but I enjoyed both holiday seasons and I don't think I would mind doing it again. I enjoy the holidays and I'm really going to enjoy this one as its my first real one with my g/f since this will be our first Christmas living together. It's our first tree together and everything.

Spike Spiegel said:
Hey, now, I'm perfectly happy celebrating the holiday's secular/pagan elements along with the rest of you guys, and for me the 'Christmas spirit' goes right along with that. I may be atheist, but that doesn't mean I'm a heartless bastard. :)

Retail shopping around this time leaches my will to live, as does the constant hail of advertising. It's all about curling up inside with a book and music playing while it snows outdoors.

Eh, not knowing where you worked, I worked at Macy's. Co-workers were great, customers were not. So yeah, it's dead for me. Done, over, fin, but it doesn't stop me from join the masses in gift giving, I just go ahead and order online and not deal with the worst group of customers, ever.

Boogie

Christmas rocks. I just focus on my family, friends, and my church, and forget about all the crap that the rest of the world makes Christmas out to be.

I felt this way till I put the tree up. Forgot how intensely my cat - he's just 3 so my lousy memory needs more repetition - loves it. Sprawled all over the lights when I was putting them up and now if he isn't sleeping under it he's watching it, with twinkling light reflected in his half-closed misty eyes. Or constantly making trilling cricket noises under it so you'll hafta rub his belly leaving him free to stretch and stare upwards with his glazed tree-love all reachy-paws.

He's a Christmas fanboy... and DAMMIT he taught ME! the meaning of Christmas! *sob*

Oh, but scratch all that if you gotta work - Holiday Rush is a Hate Parade.

MrAngryFace said:

Having kids I hear, fixes that.

Sledn

I've been saying this for a little while too now. I just don't feel christmas this year. Thats probably why I haven't started my shopping yet... well that and finals but mostly I don't feel christmas. There are still, what, like 15 days left, I haven't given up yet. With my luck probably christmas day I'll *start* to get into... just as the holidays are ending.

Mermandala said:
I felt this way till I put the tree up. Forgot how intensely my cat - he's just 3 so my lousy memory needs more repetition - loves it. Sprawled all over the lights when I was putting them up and now if he isn't sleeping under it he's watching it, with twinkling light reflected in his half-closed misty eyes. Or constantly making trilling cricket noises under it so you'll hafta rub his belly leaving him free to stretch and stare upwards with his glazed tree-love all reachy-paws.

He's a Christmas fanboy... and DAMMIT he taught ME! the meaning of Christmas! *sob*

Oh, but scratch all that if you gotta work - Holiday Rush is a Hate Parade.

That's adorable! My cat loves my tree, too. Except...he's always climbing it and stealing the ornaments. He sleeps under it when he's not torturing it.

Gorey

Lost my christmas spirit right about the time I stapled up the 2,450th foot of christmas light over plastic garland. I am the operations manager for a local marketplace (small mall) and jeez, does dealing with the retail side of the holiday ever kill your sense of joy. Ugh.

Then again, it is good to see my tenants relax a little after a big day of busting their asses to make sales numbers.

Last year, before X-Mas, Two of my friends and myself got drunk, got together some old jackets, clothes, and food, and took a train to NYC.

We fed and clothed homeless people. My friend has a rich uncle who sends him clothes, so we were giving these bums nice Banana Republic sweaters and the like. It felt awesome. I'll never forget Frederick Johnson. We drank a little with him, and He told us lots of stories, like how he got stabbed, and how he almost became a cop, but got caught dealing cocaine.

The guy was genuinely touched. He hugged us a lot, which got a little wierd. He also started to tear up, when telling us that good kids like us were the future.

Manabanana said:
That's adorable! My cat loves my tree, too. Except...he's always climbing it and stealing the ornaments. He sleeps under it when he's not torturing it.

I dangled some branches right in his face like "Hey, look, shiny ornament! Swipe it!" but he's all "No, I'm just going to lay here on my back getting all squinty - now go about with our required belly procedure - do please refrain from further inquiry unless my feet are uncurled.".

I'd kinda like it if he did some honest-to-goodness-blue-collar climbing and stealing. You didn't happen to decorate your tree with live mice did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom