• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas Themed Video Games and Christmas Gaming Giveaways because why TF not!

VGEsoterica

Mods: if this isn't ok just delete it. Having fun at the holiday season :)

Christmas is just FOR GAMING. Whether it's the first console you even opened under the Christmas tree, spending the school break gaming or just generally love playing oddball Christmas themed games at the holiday season...once the Christmas Tree or Menorah go up...it's gaming time!

and there are tons of fun holiday themed games. It's not Christmas till you stopped by to talk with Santa in Shenmue. If that's not your jam maybe some bullet hell shmups are in order with Deathsmiles II. I mean you get to fight Santa as the final boss after all! Or maybe Batman Returns on SNES is more your speed...a beat em up during the holiday season. And obviously Christmas Nights into Dreams...it has Christmas in the title after all.

But GAF...what's the best gaming gift you've ever gotten? and what's the one game you always play yearly at Christmas. For me it's Die Hard Arcade because damn it it's a Christmas movie.

Giving away a bunch of stuff in the video because I love giving presents. Sealed NMH 3 on PS3 and a $10/20/30 Steam game of your choice...because if I can make someone's holiday season even a bit brighter I should :)

VGEsoterica

A Sega Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, I was absolutely in love with the console and the game :)

I literally took my vmu school with me just so could level up my chao whilst away from the Dreamcast.

I never did get the full 130 emblems though, I think I got stuck at around 127
ok I am glad to hear I was not the only kid who took the VMU out of the house to play the Chao mini games on the go

VGEsoterica

B9c41tw.jpg

I had to look up an image to remember what they looked like. Hours of fun!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
3-B3-D8-A38-D398-4-E14-AF44-DC1-CEDBFBDDC.webp

The Bonne Wonderland stage in UMvC3. The game has the perfect announcer for a Christmas themed stage.

My best gift was probably my Super Mario World SNES and a TV for my room.

Roni

Gold Member
Arkham Origins fits the bill, haven't played the game in a while. DLC has probably the coolest Batman costume I've ever seen and I haven't finished it, might be a good pick for this Xmas.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

The best gaming gift I've ever gotten was probably in 1997 when I got an N64, Star Fox and Goldeneye. I remember being at my grandparents house for Christmas that year and only having a 13" BLACK AND WHITE TV to play it on until we left to go home. It didn't matter though, you could still hear Peppy in all his glory commanding you to do a barrel roll.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

The best gaming gift I've ever gotten was probably in 1997 when I got an N64, Star Fox and Goldeneye. I remember being at my grandparents house for Christmas that year and only having a 13" BLACK AND WHITE TV to play it on until we left to go home. It didn't matter though, you could still hear Peppy in all his glory commanding you to do a barrel roll.
That’s a solid Christmas haul

-Zelda-

Banned
Man, I am trying not to think about it to be honest. The storms are going to worse than they have ever been, so I will not be able to see my mom this christmas eve/day/week.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Best gaming gift for Christmas would have to be a tie between my parents getting me a NES in 1986 and my wife getting me an N64 in 1998.

The N64 might win out although I received some absolutely killer games with both systems. I had a Saturn and PlayStation, and my desire to get an N64 came from a photo I came across of a kid playing Mario 64. Man, I just missed Mario and needed that fun back in my life.

What a Christmas that was too. Rogue Squadron with the RAM pack, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Turok, Starfox 64, and Goldeneye. Good God what a lineup!

I can still remember when I was a kid with no console. My parents picked up Atlantis for my cousins who were getting an Atari 2600 for Christmas. I just stared at the screenshots on the back of the box. I wanted a console so badly lol. Just playing their Atari 2600 with them was a fun Christmas. Warlords and Frogger still stick in my mind.

So many fond Christmas memories. I can think of any console and remember exactly what was going on in my life at the time.

VGEsoterica

Man, I am trying not to think about it to be honest. The storms are going to worse than they have ever been, so I will not be able to see my mom this christmas eve/day/week.
Sorry to hear that. The storm will be bearing down on us here in Chicago probably by the morning. Won’t be going far either

Sophist

Duke Nukem 3d had a Christmas addon.

latestcb20161016032938ei7n.jpg
latestcb2009092018122defjv.gif

Getting the latest game console at Christmas was how I got my hands on them all growing up.

Master System, SNES, N64, PS1 etc...

But, my absolute favourite was the year I got the GameBoy.

I loved that little thing and took it everywhere.

Such a great piece of kit.

It's a shame really that handheld gaming was neglected for so long.

I suppose mobile phones kind of replaced the need for a unique handheld experience, though the undocked Switch and now the Steam deck are positive signs that people still want something you can take on a plane, a long commute, or a car ride.

I almost forget the Atari Lynx - that was another great handheld I spent many an hour playing on.

Paperboy and California Games were my two favourites.

1413525806_1410630914_maxresdefault_1.jpg

Costume Quest DLC "Grubbins on Ice" was awesome on PS3.

My favorite Christmas present memory was either playing ocarina of time on Christmas Day or getting a Dreamcast with Sonic and Toy Commander.

My sister and I would also hook up the SNES in one of our rooms and play SMW to pass the time on Christmas Eve.

makaveli60

I have a LOT of Christmas gaming memories (like almost everyone on GAF, I guess), but here is one nice Christmas-themed game I loved:

BTW, I like reading your threads VGEsoterica VGEsoterica , keep up the good work!

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
More bad luck it seems. I hate to be a negative nancy, but in addition to not being able to travel where I live, my heater died 40 minutes ago and nobody can get to me until tuesday at the earliest. It is -30 outside and the temp inside has already dropped to 64 down from 72.

skeebs

A lot of video game hopes, both realized and not, revolved around Christmas. While I never got the Saturn I asked for nor the 32X the year before (though I was eventually did buy that one later on) I do have the best memories of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my new Genesis and LTTP on my new SNES a couple years after that. But the build up to Christmas, reading about the games I wanted, making a list and revising it making sure to really call attention to the stuff I really wanted, there was nothing else quite like it. I still get that feeling sometimes around Christmas and hope my kids do too.

Best gift was the original NES in 1989. My first console that was definitely a step above our family Atari. Parents sandbagged me that Christmas saying that the NES was all sold out locally. I thought “There’s always next year!”. Then after all the presents 🎁 were opened they brought out the big box 📦. I couldn’t believe my eyes but it happened and I played Super Mario and Fester‘s Quest all week

Last edited:
I got an Atari Lynx for Christmas 30 (!) years ago. That thing survived a long time and I even took it with me to college 12 years later.

In the mid 2000s I foolishly left old batteries in it and tried to power it on and it died in my hands. Sizzled to death.

I got a replacement brand new for $100, but it's a different model # with only mono sound from the speaker.. I've kept it in immaculate shape and enjoyed three hours of Ms. Pac-Man tonight trying to reach a certain score.

I've been scanning eBay looking for the model I had as a kid. I'll find one for the right price eventually.

A couple years ago I sold most of my most valuable video games and among them was an Atari Lynx (Rev.) II console. That's the only thing I sold I regret.

I got my Lynx basically the last year it was on the market at major stores. Electronics Boutique stopped carrying games for it shortly after Christmas and my mom and I scrambled to find what games we could. Including Rygar for $1 at Kaybee Toys.

I had about 9 games. California Games, Hockey, Blue Lightning, Zarlor Mercenary, and Roadblasters were my favorites.

In the late 90s a couple years after getting the internet and using it almost exclusively to follow pro wrestling I looked up video game websites and found an outfit in California (VGLQ) selling Lynx games for $10 a pop. My mom was wary of ordering over the phone but I got another 8 games including Ms. Pac-Man, Qix, and Awesome Golf.

I later bought a bunch of mostly junk titles for $5 each new on eBay.

There are still a handful of games I have I've hardly played I'd like to revisit. Todd's Adventures in Slime World, Joust, Chip's Challenge, Ninja Gaiden III among them.

I think I have a copy of the game Zaku (side scrolling shmup) here somewhere...

Go Lynx!

-Zelda-

Banned
Did anyone win this yet? if not, Just know that I do not game on steam, lol.
Also, No More Heroes 3 on PS3 was a typo, yes?

Top Bottom