• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Tenet’ Delayed Indefinitely

ManaByte

Gold Member

“We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for Tenet, Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature,” said Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich in a statement. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”

Sources at Warner Bros. stress that they will have to be flexible with its plans to release “Tenet,” which means it will not have a traditional theatrical rollout. Movie theaters overseas have already started to reopen, so there’s a chance it could launch internationally prior to a domestic release. Previous films from “Nolan” have earned more than 50% of box office revenues from theaters overseas.

It's funny watching Hollywood try to pretend movie theaters will even exist next year without movies to play this year.

Nymphae

Banned
I just bought a shitload of Blurays from Amazon this week. Maybe if they put it out on that I'll check it out.

asustitan

Banned
theaters are done, embrace digital and get it over with

I can't see Cinemas ever going away.

Think about it. As soon as it goes digital, it is eveywhere on the Internet.

Sure you can get rips from Cinema but nobody likes watching rips with crap video and audio anymore on there big screen TV's.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sure you can get rips from Cinema but nobody likes watching rips with crap video and audio anymore on there big screen TV's.

They're releasing it in China before the US. It'll be all over the internet in potato phone form.

Tesseract

Banned

there's always gonna be garbo rips, people will seek quality rates wherever available

Last edited:

Fbh

Release it digitally Nolan, so we can all watch it.

m9n9Bmh.jpg

dorkimoe

This is one director who will fight tooth and nail about putting it out digitally. The other problem with digital releases is they dont take single people into account. Trolls released for a $20 rental or something like that...I'm not paying $20 to watch a movie one time. Of course if you have a family then $20 is a steal

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

It's funny watching Hollywood try to pretend movie theaters will even exist next year without movies to play this year.

My local cinema has reopened and is playing classic films instead. I've seen The Empire Strikes Back, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Superman on the big screen since it reopened, and they're planning to show all the extended cuts of the Lord Of The Rings this weekend.

Tesseract

Banned
This is one director who will fight tooth and nail about putting it out digitally. The other problem with digital releases is they dont take single people into account. Trolls released for a $20 rental or something like that...I'm not paying $20 to watch a movie one time. Of course if you have a family then $20 is a steal
it's an admirable fight, would be nice if prices were slashed in half

xrnzaaas

They won't go away, but I can see them getting marginalized. Thanks to the pandemic many people discovered that you can watch tons of content at home and without paying for every single ticket. There are still going be those going to the cinema for the superior visual and audio experience, but I think many people will eventually abandon going to the cinemas, at least for films without spectacular visual effects and cinematography.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Aside from most home theatres not having a good audio/visual setup, the theatre experience just can't be replicated at home. There's nothing like sitting in a cold dark room with a bunch of strangers all witnessing the same film. Paying $10 for a drink and popcorn while the fat kid next to you stuffs his face with a jumbo angus hot dog. I'd always put a little jalapeno in my popcorn. Its a cultural staple and in some ways even a communal spiritual experience.

Tesseract

Banned
Aside from most home theatres not having a good audio/visual setup, the theatre experience just can't be replicated at home. There's nothing like sitting in a cold dark room with a bunch of strangers all witnessing the same film. Paying $10 for a drink and popcorn while the fat kid next to you stuffs his face with a jumbo angus hot dog. I'd always put a little jalapeno in my popcorn. Its a cultural staple and in some ways even a communal spiritual experience.
good riddance

Tesseract

Banned
sports are legit, there's a palpable energy

movie gatherings can get bent, i've never had a theater experience improved by viewer quantity / behavior

YCoCg

This is one director who will fight tooth and nail about putting it out digitally.
I mean we have Quentin Tarantino who would just outright go "Aight, I'm outta here" if you told him cinemas were closed for good and films would only be digital.

dorkimoe

I mean we have Quentin Tarantino who would just outright go "Aight, I'm outta here" if you told him cinemas were closed for good and films would only be digital.
And I'd be fine with him leaving if hes going to make more stuff like Once upon a time in hollywood

O-N-E

As a big fan of Nolan's films, this is pretty disappointing to see from him. He should be letting go of the nostalgia and "prestige" of theatres and just let people enjoy the movie at home.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
As a big fan of Nolan's films, this is pretty disappointing to see from him. He should be letting go of the nostalgia of and "prestige" of theatres and just let people enjoy the movie at home.
similar feeling, i'd expect him to adapt and embrace

holding on is unbecoming of the syncopy universe

I'm with Nolan on this. I had high hopes to see this in IMAX because his movies work so well with it. I have no intention on watching it on my couch because quite frankly I won't get the same experience with it. If others want to that's fine but I'd rather wait it out and watch it properly on the big screen like it deserves.

HF2014

You know, im even wondering, let say theatres have the right to be at 50% capacity, if it will be profitable. 200 millions is a lot of money to get back. Im saying we will see this movie in 2021, unless the virus fade away, which wont happen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You know, im even wondering, let say theatres have the right to be at 50% capacity, if it will be profitable. 200 millions is a lot of money to get back. Im saying we will see this movie in 2021, unless the virus fade away, which wont happen.

The virus will go away on November 4th when the media starts Russia Russia Russia 2.0.

Grinchy

Banned
I wish they'd just start doing theaters, digital and putting the 4K Blurays out at the same time. Some people want the theater experience, some people wanna stream it onto their iphone and watch 25% of it while doing other things and then complain about how it wasn't good online, and some people want to play an awesome 4K HDR bluray version in their own calibrated home theaters.

I know why they can't do that, since theaters don't want competition, but I feel like they'd make a ton of money with how much they could charge for day 1 streaming and the 4K blurays are expensive too.

Top Bottom