• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Tenet’ Delayed Indefinitely

Very disappointing. Was ready to see this day one. 2020 extracts a heavy toll.

Borat in a full cinema on opening night was incredible. The whole room was crying with laughter. Fantastic experience.

And there's nothing quite like going to see a fucking mind blowing movie and the entire audience standing up and clapping during the credits.

That happened at the end of Logan and Mad Max: Fury Road and I'll never forget it.

Watching films at home will never, ever be able to replicate that.

Caffeine

isnt amc like 5 billion in debt right now its like the only movie theater around here now. most of harkins got bought out years ago and were already struggling. Alamo draft house filed for bankruptcy 2 months ago. What theaters do they expect to release this to. Not just this but any upcoming 200 million dollar film.

We have limited seating in the theaters and this was one of the movies I wanted to see. Ah well. I hope the movie releases digitally.

And there's nothing quite like going to see a fucking mind blowing movie and the entire audience standing up and clapping during the credits.

That happened at the end of Logan and Mad Max: Fury Road and I'll never forget it.

Watching films at home will never, ever be able to replicate that.

Invite a bunch of strangers into your home to watch movies with you.

Malakhov

Banned
sports are legit, there's a palpable energy

movie gatherings can get bent, i've never had a theater experience improved by viewer quantity / behavior
Happened very rarely for me but it did with infinity war. Very surreal atmosphere at the end of the movie, everyone were speechless and shocked besides kids crying

ruvikx

Banned
theaters are done, embrace digital and get it over with

Gods, what did TV look like before streaming? It's not like cable/satellite with hundreds of TV channels broadcasting constant content 24/7 since the 1980's was ever a thing.

Seriously, what the hell is up with the Emperor's new clothes streaming thing going on right now? Are we just going to pretend that watching via the internet is somehow a "better" experience? Or even tangibly different than TV before it? Nope. Even worse is the fact true equality of the moviegoing experience is getting lost in this "death to cinema! long live streaming!" shameless cashgrab frenzy, i.e. you get a vast difference in TV technology depending on the viewer's home set-up & budget (thus impacting the experience), a vast difference in sound quality & most of all a vast difference in viewing experience based on the social environment (apartments, flats, noisy neighors, children, pets etc.).

Whether you're a CEO, lawyer, street cleaner or unemployed, when you go to the local movie theatre to watch Tenet, you'd get the exact same experience. At home via streaming that is absolutely not the case.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Whether you're a CEO, lawyer, street cleaner or unemployed, when you go to the local movie theatre to watch Tenet, you'd get the exact same experience. At home via streaming that is absolutely not the case.
Assuming the audience alongside everyone is the same that would be true but you know it ain't.
The classic cinema is dying and we all know it. Hollywood is fighting the inevitable.

I'm slowly getting all for it tbh. I'm pretty sure so many blockbusters have become such rollercoaster event rides because this is the only way for the cinema to remain some form of relevance. You simply can't get that "event" experience at home. Perhaps when cinema is dead the studios will stop making these mindnumbing flicks and go back to blockbuster movie making with a bit more class like back in the 90s and early 00s. You know, a blockbuster movie where you do not have to turn your brain off to be able to enjoy it. Those were the days.

Theaters have reopened here but I’m not hedging my bets that it the movie will open in August here anyway. Also they have much lower capacity so you won’t see much of a box office return.

Top Bottom