• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan's next project: sci-fi/time travel film titled 'Interstellar'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Except for maybe some visual tones I hope they don't take a thing from Blade Runner, my fault for going with so much expectations but my god that one was overrated

DMczaf

You may see me as that but I really don't see how I can be equated with a hater when their whole premise is putting down others for liking/disliking something they don't agree with. I never claimed all his movies are perfect and need to be held as such.

You don't see the same crap from the same group of people in every Nolan thread?

The same BS brought up over and over as if its exclusive to Nolan or his movies?

I'm just countering it because it becomes damn hard to read these threads when the same people shit it up all the time and then act like their opinion is some gold standard to judge all movies by. Even if it contradicts completely with both commercial and critical success.

You don't like Inception? Or TDK or TDKR? Ok fine. But don't then tell me that I like it because the movie itself is trying to trick me into thinking its smart when really it isn't. Or that I enjoy it because I don't get movies, pacing, acting, or characterization while at the same time in other threads praise movies that also fall victim to the same tropes, broken logic, or whatever else it might be.

Don't try to put down the audience that did enjoy the movies by claiming you have superior taste. What worked for others didn't work for you. That doesn't make them dumber or you smarter. Especially because if there is any measure of success or quality of a movie (and there isn't) it would be based on a combination of critical and commercial reception.

And I've pointed out things I don't particularly like in his movies either but I just see a lot of talking down to people disguised as high level criticism. Then the same people will turn around and gloss over the same elements they cry about in other movies that they enjoy.

If this makes me the equivalent of a hater but on the other side then so be it.

Not really outside the internet.

You may be a dirty Eagles fan, but you speak truth every time.

Except when it comes to the Eagles.

You may see me as that but I really don't see how I can be equated with a hater when their whole premise is putting down others for liking/disliking something they don't agree with. I never claimed all his movies are perfect and need to be held as such.

You don't see the same crap from the same group of people in every Nolan thread?

The same BS brought up over and over as if its exclusive to Nolan or his movies?

I'm just countering it because it becomes damn hard to read these threads when the same people shit it up all the time and then act like their opinion is some gold standard to judge all movies by. Even if it contradicts completely with both commercial and critical success.

You don't like Inception? Or TDK or TDKR? Ok fine. But don't then tell me that I like it because the movie itself is trying to trick me into thinking its smart when really it isn't. Or that I enjoy it because I don't get movies, pacing, acting, or characterization while at the same time in other threads praise movies that also fall victim to the same tropes, broken logic, or whatever else it might be.

Don't try to put down the audience that did enjoy the movies by claiming you have superior taste. What worked for others didn't work for you. That doesn't make them dumber or you smarter. Especially because if there is any measure of success or quality of a movie (and there isn't) it would be based on a combination of critical and commercial reception.

And I've pointed out things I don't particularly like in his movies either but I just see a lot of talking down to people disguised as high level criticism. Then the same people will turn around and gloss over the same elements they cry about in other movies that they enjoy.

If this makes me the equivalent of a hater but on the other side then so be it.

ibv1lVUTmdayye.gif

Chinner

Banned
Why are either of those contrived?

The focus of the movie was that dreams were indistinguishable from reality and thats why they are so dangerous. Thats much more intriguing that kooky 100 foot clowns and dancing pink elephants movie but I guess most people imagine dream plot and expect that.

And the human focus argument is bullshit, look at either Memento or Prestige.

I wasn't suggesting that the film should have been about 100 foot clowns, or giant dick nipples that shit semen everywhere. My point is that despite an idea that if fundamentally about dreams and human emotion, it's approach is very cold and doesn't really explore that. Like, why do the dreams have to be realistic? Frankly it seemed like the dreams were more of just an easy set-up device so that Nolan could jump around from cool action scene number 1 to cool action scene number 2.

The cool things about dreams is that they can be anything. Yes they can be realistic, and they can be weird, but sometimes they can feel to be realistic while you're in them but are actually pretty particular. Dreams can be the manifestation of your fantasies and your worries, but they can also show what's happening in the sub-consious part of your mind. Sometimes you can lucid dream and be in control of what you do, but sometimes you're not and that can be more terrifying than the dream itself.

You can use dreams as a visually interesting way to advance the story. As a viewer and with some set-up, you are able to understand elements of it which that the character is not able to. What this means is that you're able to make interesting scenes in meaning and subtext where you can explain the characters feelings in a visually and non-traditional way. It's like how in Shutter Island, it took about 5-10 minutes of dream sequences to explain that Leo's character had lost his wife and was still suffering and confused about it, despite putting a face on throughout the film. In Inception, we knew Leo's character was sad about his wife's death because the film took 2 hours explaining why he's sad and occasionally his wife turns up to try and kill him in a dream. I would talk about the other character's in Inception, but the rest of the dreams were just either used as 'hey look at this cool action sequence' or 'oh woah this is a dream I can do cool stuff', and none of the dreams really meant anything emotionally to the characters because they were all 1 dimensional and didn't really do anything.

I guess what I'm saying is, for a film about dreams, and where we know dreams can mean and be anything, making the majority of dreams to be just 'oh woah this is super realistic OH WAIT A TRAIN IS ON THE ROAD' just seems kind of unimaginative. Thats why I say Inception's dream within a dream is contrived because dreams are essential a blank canvas you can do anything with, and Nolan basically chose to make the plot needlessly complicated in one of the most boring ways possible, when he could have told it in a much simpler way but with much more useful meaning and in a more visually interesting way.

jett

D-Member
jett is also a Fringe fan. And a Cloud Atlas fan.

Hmmmmmm...............

I'm a fan of the first three seasons only, I acknowledge the last two seasons have been ass. :p Cloud Atlas is just okay-ish for me, though. Is Cloud Atlas not viewed well around here?

Chinner

Banned
lol sory guyz gf was on compoota, i think nolans cold story telling is actualy a metaphor to show that capitalism has made people very selfish and do not care 4 othas. some people just don't 'get it'

Guzim

I'm a fan of the first three seasons only, I acknowledge the last two seasons have been ass. :p Cloud Atlas is just okay-ish for me, though. Is Cloud Atlas not viewed well around here?

The problem with Cloud Atlas was that it wasn't viewed at all.

Dead Man

How will this be more like the Prestige or Momento? Those two movies are completely different to begin with anyway and this movie's subject matter lends itself far more to an inception like grand movie.

And my god I hope its like Inception which was fucking amazing outside of the usual critic gaf that shits on everything after jerking off to it at first. "Ohh I didn't like them explaining shit... for you see its boring and I'm so smart I figured it all out 5 minutes into the movie"...followed by a 100 page thread asking questions about the movie they couldn't follow or understand. "...how come all the members of the heist team didn't get full exploration of their characters? I can't appreciate this I don't know what their motivations are...I enjoy far superior product like John Carter or Speed Racer than this crap!"

Why are you yelling at clouds?

Bravo effzee, good to see somebody call out those elitist assholes. Liquid was right on the money when he said TDKR was on par with Lawrence of Arabia and Citizen Kane. I don't get why people were deriding posts like that and acting as if their own opinion is somehow fact.

Bravo effzee, good to see somebody call out those elitist assholes. Liquid was right on the money when he said TDKR was on par with Lawrence of Arabia and Citizen Kane. I don't get why people were deriding posts like that and acting as if their own opinion is somehow fact.

Thank you sir. I meant it. I think 30 years from now it will be looked at as an amazing achievement that was far ahead of its time.

ari

Banned
Dude don't lose face or credibility with a statement like that.

none of the 90s batman movies never left me disappointed. Not because tdkr came after the greatness that was the dark knight, but because it was just embarrassingly bad from top to bottom.

Rookje

animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report.gif

http://collider.com/christopher-nolan-interstellar-script/223165/

Now a few more details have surfaced regarding Interstellar, chief of which is that Christopher Nolan will be writing the script himself in order to incorporate an original idea of his own.

The report also has a more revealing logline for the film, noting that the film “will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest borders of our scientific understanding.” The deal is being set up at Paramount with Chris Nolan, Emma Thomas, and Lynda Obst producing, but Nolan’s longtime studio Warner Bros. will also be in the fold as a co-production partner with Paramount. Thorne will remain onboard as a technical consultant.

effzee

Responding to his trolling (I think that is what it is) is like responding to Chinner.

Though Chinner sometimes becomes a real person and then I get confused.

effzee, I may be wrong but the way I see it the criticism still don't compare to stuff said by many in Nolan gaf (like his movies being compared to the likes of Citizen Kane, sorry liquid :p). I see where you're coming from though.

Edit: ^^ got a point there. lol

effzee

I do see it, but you have to understand that it happens more for Nolan films simply because (for better or for worse) Nolan is by far the most popular director on GAF. The bigger you are, the more people that talk about you, the more critics you will have.

Which was my point about his getting "big".

Anyway I'll stop yelling at the clouds now. But why is everyone so infatuated with Page? Or is this some joke I missed out on? Last I remember GAF wasn't big on her?

You may be a dirty Eagles fan, but you speak truth every time.

Except when it comes to the Eagles.

I'm not good with taco bell jokes.

TACO BELL.

And I might be considered a hater in Eagles country. How can you like the Bucs yet be so right on everything else? WHY?

effzee

Cool, let's see if he's going to improve after Inception.

I don't think Jonathan Nolan wrote any Nolan directed movie solely by himself. And J. Nolan also had his hands in the Salvation script though that was such a failed project from the start I don't know who exactly the blame falls on.

Point being even on the movies you might consider Nolan's stronger movies, both he and his brother worked together. Hopefully they write something amazing together and it turns out to be a great movie.

Solo

If Nolan is going to do a complete re-write, it won't hit 2014. Or if it does, it will be a non-traditional fall release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom