• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan's next project: sci-fi/time travel film titled 'Interstellar'

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will this be more like the Prestige or Momento? Those two movies are completely different to begin with anyway and this movie's subject matter lends itself far more to an inception like grand movie.

And my god I hope its like Inception which was fucking amazing outside of the usual critic gaf that shits on everything after jerking off to it at first. "Ohh I didn't like them explaining shit... for you see its boring and I'm so smart I figured it all out 5 minutes into the movie"...followed by a 100 page thread asking questions about the movie they couldn't follow or understand. "...how come all the members of the heist team didn't get full exploration of their characters? I can't appreciate this I don't know what their motivations are...I enjoy far superior product like John Carter or Speed Racer than this crap!"

Top 25 movie of all time.

Nolan can we get more zero gravity fights please?

I want Nolan to direct the Halo movie.

Chinner

Banned
ok lol :(
Blade Runner + Inception. Go.
not really. blade runner has really strong set design and atmosphere, and also has really good underlying themes about humanity.

Nolan sucks at both those things, hello gotham looking like NYC and inception - a film about dreams - getting most of its plot points from the contrived dream within a dream and 'is it real'? Nolan is good at style, but most of his films are cold and lack strong human focus.

shutter island did dreams better than inception and the film isn't even about dreams.

How will this be more like the Prestige or Momento? Those two movies are completely different to begin with anyway and this movie's subject matter lends itself far more to an inception like grand movie.

And my god I hope its like Inception which was fucking amazing outside of the usual critic gaf that shits on everything after jerking off to it at first. "Ohh I didn't like them explaining shit... for you see its boring and I'm so smart I figured it all out 5 minutes into the movie"...followed by a 100 page thread asking questions about the movie they couldn't follow or understand. "...how come all the members of the heist team didn't get full exploration of their characters? I can't appreciate this I don't know what their motivations are...I enjoy far superior product like John Carter or Speed Racer than this crap!"

I think I need this post explained to me.

Nolan sucks at both those things, hello gotham looking like NYC and inception - a film about dreams - getting most of its plot points from the contrived dream within a dream and 'is it real'? Nolan is good at style, but most of his films are cold and lack strong human focus.

Why are either of those contrived?

The focus of the movie was that dreams were indistinguishable from reality and thats why they are so dangerous. Thats much more intriguing that kooky 100 foot clowns and dancing pink elephants movie but I guess most people imagine dream plot and expect that.

And the human focus argument is bullshit, look at either Memento or Prestige.

Solo

lol at you complaining about effzee being to pro-Nolan in Nolan threads, when all you do is take shoots all the time.

I do it mostly to rile up Nolan fans ;)

I actually like TDKR, which puts me in the GAF minority. I also love Memento, Batman Begins, and The Prestige. Don't like Following, Insomnia, TDK or Inception. So Nolan tends to be hit or miss with me.

Nolan's Batman is probably comic book film in name only. It was so bereft of comic book trappings it may as well have been another action flick.

Nolan's track record and the theme has me interested. It'll be fun watching casting information get released and all the reactions.

In Nolan Me Trust

effzee

He does this in every Nolan thread. It's essentially the opposite of what the "hater" mentality is.

Hater: stop liking what I don't like!
effzee: stop disliking what I like!

I don't mean to throw you under the bus, effzee, as I think you're a great poster, but I called your Nolan defending zealous simply because I've seen it in every thread that the discussion comes up.

You may see me as that but I really don't see how I can be equated with a hater when their whole premise is putting down others for liking/disliking something they don't agree with. I never claimed all his movies are perfect and need to be held as such.

You don't see the same crap from the same group of people in every Nolan thread?

The same BS brought up over and over as if its exclusive to Nolan or his movies?

I'm just countering it because it becomes damn hard to read these threads when the same people shit it up all the time and then act like their opinion is some gold standard to judge all movies by. Even if it contradicts completely with both commercial and critical success.

You don't like Inception? Or TDK or TDKR? Ok fine. But don't then tell me that I like it because the movie itself is trying to trick me into thinking its smart when really it isn't. Or that I enjoy it because I don't get movies, pacing, acting, or characterization while at the same time in other threads praise movies that also fall victim to the same tropes, broken logic, or whatever else it might be.

Don't try to put down the audience that did enjoy the movies by claiming you have superior taste. What worked for others didn't work for you. That doesn't make them dumber or you smarter. Especially because if there is any measure of success or quality of a movie (and there isn't) it would be based on a combination of critical and commercial reception.

And I've pointed out things I don't particularly like in his movies either but I just see a lot of talking down to people disguised as high level criticism. Then the same people will turn around and gloss over the same elements they cry about in other movies that they enjoy.

If this makes me the equivalent of a hater but on the other side then so be it.

lol that's some ether right there. I do find the faux-critic behaviour to be slightly annoying but it's not just a GAF thing. I see it everywhere these days.

Not really outside the internet.

Despite their flaws the Nolan movies were well crafted and brought to blockbuster movies better characterization, narrative and stories than most comparable movies (TDK Trilogy, Inception). And his "smaller" joints like Prestige or Memento are regarded as all around well executed movies by Nolanites as well as Nolan Nay-Sayers.

So him tackling his next project leaves me more than excited, and I think rightfully so. I like big spectacle and blockbuster movies but hate dumb shit. And his big budget stuff wasn't dumb shit. Yes smaller scale movies focussed on drama and characters will always have deeper characterizations, and yes most Non-Comic adaptation will probably feature more believable stories than those of a Batman franchise (for godsakes... it's BATMAN!), but if he makes Sci-Fi as believable and compelling to my Sci-Fi hating friends as he already made comic movies compelling to them, yes than I think we might have something cooking there to be excited about. Easy as that.

effzee

Why are either of those contrived?

The focus of the movie was that dreams were indistinguishable from reality and thats why they are so dangerous. Thats much more intriguing that kooky 100 foot clowns and dancing pink elephants movie but I guess most people imagine dream plot and expect that.

That's what I though too. It wasn't trying to be Eternal Sunshine of the Mind part 2.

And the human focus argument is bullshit, look at either Memento or Prestige.

Or Cobb's, his kids, and Mal's whole story in Inception.

How does the cops lock up in the sewer for 3 months and come out well feed and clean shaven?

3xpk67z661uk5dfzv.gif

Solo

You don't see the same crap from the same group of people in every Nolan thread?

The same BS brought up over and over as if its exclusive to Nolan or his movies?

I do see it, but you have to understand that it happens more for Nolan films simply because (for better or for worse) Nolan is by far the most popular director on GAF. The bigger you are, the more people that talk about you, the more critics you will have.

Nokterian

My body is ready and so is my money. This really is a movie for Nolan to direct. And pretty awesome that his brother writing the script.

Busty

Banned
To be fair, Nolan probably did sign a standard 1 + options for 2 more deal.

Nope. It was a two picture deal. So he was signed for Batman Begins and then The Dark Knight.

Nolan was not contractually obliged to return for Dark Knight Rises but did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom