• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromehounds is the best mech game ever

Chromehounds is the friggin' BOMB!! Weaksauce gamers and those with little patience need not apply. The game is very deep and will have a huge community for quite some time. Oeof the best online games ever concieved, there are soem issues with the execution, but as I said in another Chromehounds thread, you can't get an experience like this on any other gaming platform right now! If you sleep on Chromehounds then it's your loss.

<back to daydreaming about Chromehounds strategies> :D

Karg

Confidence Man said:
I wish exploding mechs would damage other mechs. It would also be cool if you could blow off individual legs, and then just have the mech lying on it's side (but still able to turn and fire). And when you respawn as a human you should get at least a little rocket launcher.

Or let you pilot one of those tanks. C'mon, throw us a friggin' bone.

PorkFryRice said:
what? it does damage your mech. the game has splash damage...try it out. i once destroyed a hound by shooting the oil refinery behind it.

I know it has splash damage for some things, but when you destroy a mech and it explodes, it doesn't damage the mechs around it. It's most evident in single player when you have groups of three or so weak little mechs, you blow one up and the others can just waltz through the resulting explosion with no effect.

Confidence Man said:
I know it has splash damage for some things, but when you destroy a mech and it explodes, it doesn't damage the mechs around it. It's most evident in single player when you have groups of three or so weak little mechs, you blow one up and the others can just waltz through the resulting explosion with no effect.

I know it'd add to the realism, but it'd piss me off as I have a close range soldier and sometimes get caught in that explosion :D

Confidence Man said:

sooo basically, you don't know. how do you know it just didn't damage the other mechs around it???

i spiked a guy online. he exploded in front of me b4 i was able to move away. my cockpit lost durability. believe me when i say this, IT DOES CAUSE DAMAGE.

Fallofmart said:
I know it'd add to the realism, but it'd piss me off as I have a close range soldier and sometimes get caught in that explosion :D

It'd make me happy to know the spiker who just poked me in my rear end took some damage when I exploded. :D

PorkFryRice said:
sooo basically, you don't know.

i spiked a guy online. he exploded in front of me b4 i was able to move away. my cockpit lost durability. believe me when i say this, IT DOES CAUSE DAMAGE.

Seriously? I've been right in the face of people who've exploded and never noticed any damage.

I always wondered but have never asked, you know when you get hit by a missile and your cockpit keeps taking damage for a time, is that fire damage? Will keeping heat down avoid that kind of damage?

Confidence Man said:
It'd make me happy to know the spiker who just poked me in my rear end took some damage when I exploded. :D

Seriously? I've been right in the face of people who've exploded and never noticed any damage.

yes. now every hound is different so if you have armor around the area thats affected, the armor may have taken the brunt of the blast. hit Y to check your parts status.

Karg

Fallofmart said:
I always wondered but have never asked, you know when you get hit by a missile and your cockpit keeps taking damage for a time, is that fire damage? Will keeping heat down avoid that kind of damage?

Yeah there is a howitzer ammo type that does fire splash damage and will keep doing damage to whatever part it hit. But it takes awhile and I'm not sure if there is anyway to put it out. Run into the river?

Fallofmart said:

i've never noticed that and there's no fire extinguisher parts.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

nothing is funnier than someone rushing you with rockets and killing themselves with the splash damage.

Karg said:
Yeah there is a howitzer ammo type that does fire splash damage and will keep doing damage to whatever part it hit. But it takes awhile and I'm not sure if there is anyway to put it out. Run into the river?

Damn! That ammo is totally my weakness, because even if it hits my front shields my cockpit takes damage... Argh, sucks that i can't avoid that...

3rdman

I'm certainly having more fun with Chromhounds than I was with Line of Contact...I was pretty frustrated with losing my mechs online and not making enough to buy better ones. Missing a week because of work put me so far behind, I could never get the mechs to compete...that along with Capcom's online incompetence killed it.

For me, what makes Chromehounds so darn addictive is the customization aspect and being able to use your creations online with others. I FINALLY have come up with a mech design I'm happy with. He's got a cockpit with a defense rating of over 6000 along with 3 machine guns, 2 advanced howitzers, and one sniper rifle. All the weapons are shielded and I still have room for 1 support item (anti-missle)...I haven't settled on a name yet...I wanted "Dances with Death" but that had too many charecters. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
where is the big chromehounds thread? I searched but couldn't find it. Want to get more of a feel before deciding whether to jump for it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
its the stickied thread *COUGH COUGH* that's on the front page with like a zillion views/posts....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Been interested in this for the "persistent online war" aspect of it. Do you need to be a member of a squad to participate in the online war or can you fight solo?

Karg

kaching said:
Been interested in this for the "persistent online war" aspect of it. Do you need to be a member of a squad to participate in the online war or can you fight solo?

For that part you need to be part of a squad. But you could even create your own squad and fight in the war by yourself if that nuts. A lot of people do this against CPU opponents.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just came back to post that those pics look hoooooooooooooooooot... the demo alone wowed me when I first put it on... man...

Looks like it's a definete buy when I come back then...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Karg said:
For that part you need to be part of a squad. But you could even create your own squad and fight in the war by yourself if that nuts. A lot of people do this against CPU opponents.
Problem for me is that tend to get online to play games at odd times, when few other people I know are online. I've never really been one to scoff at CPU opponents though, so the option you suggest sounds like a valid option for me. Thanks.

3rdman

kaching said:
Problem for me is that tend to get online to play games at odd times, when few other people I know are online. I've never really been one to scoff at CPU opponents though, so the option you suggest sounds like a valid option for me. Thanks.

I do that a lot especially when it comes to testing mech designs. I'll do a single player campaign versus 1 CPU opponent. Its better than doing the "Test Sortie" as it gives you experience and money for winning. Besides 1 CPU hound is a better way to test your design than any number of non-hound opponents.

kaching said:

being in a squad is a big deal for this game. you get to trade parts, emblems and even money but most of all, you actually have to use TEAMWORK to play the persistent war.

Karg

PorkFryRice said:
being in a squad is a big deal for this game. you get to trade parts, emblems and even money but most of all, you actually have to use TEAMWORK to play the persistent war.

AND you can even trade assembly data. Which means as long as the person you are trading with has the same library of parts you do you could grab a HOUND setup from a friend if you wanted. Very nice indeed. It helped when I had a friend start playing a few days ago and wanted an example of detailed mech.

And the CPU opponenets, if you scale the rank of them up enough you'll have yourself a challenge.

mrklaw said:
er, got a link? I can only see three stickies, and the only big one is about HDTVs....?

Its not stickied yet, just his way of trying to get it done.

IJoel

I LOVE Chromehounds. It is, without a doubt, the best online multiplayer experience on Xbox 360, and I can't recommend it enough.

Some of my personal highlights:

+ Great Graphics: It's a beautiful looking game with a very smooth framerate. Nightvision skirmishes look absolutely stunning and bring a smile to my face everytime (unless I'm the target :p.)

+ Endless Customizations: Being able to customize every aspect of a hound is just amazing and gives you plenty of options to do what you want to do in the field.

+ Persistent World: I'm amazed at how well this is working. I had seen some previous attempts at this, with MechAssault 2, for instance that just didn't gel well. Not this time. This is war at its best.

+ Map Variety: Tons of maps, as well as a wide variety of environments and time settings just add to the longevity of the title. Port maps are stunning to look at.

+ Hound Detail: The level of detail in each of the hound parts is oustanding. From the extremely realistic animation, to the little details, like big shell coming off once you shoot rockets. It's all so beautifully done, that it enhances the level of immersion.

+ Online Lobby: This isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good. I hope they improve the message delivery for some of the notes, when entering the lobby, as they tend to take too long.

Arsenal

I can't believe where Chromehounds is placing on the played lists... its been #3 for the past couple weeks and is outpacing other higher profile games.

I honestly think they should have advertised the persistent world a bit more. Its a MMOG without the monthly fees (aside from XBL) and should keep this game selling decently for quite a while. Question: does MS host the servers or does the publisher? I'm wondering if this will set a precedent for other online games - even for non-persistant world games, I think dedicated servers are the next step for improving the XBL experience.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Arsenal said:
I can't believe where Chromehounds is placing on the played lists... its been #3 for the past couple weeks and is outpacing other higher profile games.

I honestly think they should have advertised the persistent world a bit more. Its a MMOG without the monthly fees (aside from XBL) and should keep this game selling decently for quite a while. Question: does MS host the servers or does the publisher? I'm wondering if this will set a precedent for other online games - even for non-persistant world games, I think dedicated servers are the next step for improving the XBL experience.

Sega hosts the servers, but really the only data the servers are hosting is who is winning and where, all the games and lobbies are hosted client side.

shuri

Banned
To the people whining like retards about 'sega not being able to fix basic connection issues', the problem is on YOUR SIDE. Check out the tutorial I linked earlier in this thread. If you never had problems with other games but you do with ChromeHounds, check out the tutorial

IJoel

shuri said:
To the people whining like retards about 'sega not being able to fix basic connection issues', the problem is on YOUR SIDE. Check out the tutorial I linked earlier in this thread. If you never had problems with other games but you do with ChromeHounds, check out the tutorial

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. I have my Xbox 360 assigned to the DMZ host in my router, never have any issues playing other games online, but with Chromehounds, I can't play against human opponents online unless I connect directly to my modem. So yes, it seems to be some sort of router incompatibility issue, but I'm not sure it can be bypassed. Oddly enough, I can play against CPU opponents online with no issues.

Top Bottom