• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger creators were not pleased that the confirm button changed to X to confirm instead of O to confirm for the PS5 in Japan

Chrono Trigger creators Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii and Kazuhiko Torishima were not pleased that the confirm button changed to X to confirm instead of O to confirm for the PS5 in Japan!

Sakaguchi: “Now, X is confirm, what the heck is that about?”

(They all laugh and there is even some clapping)

Sakaguchi: “I think you’ve got to be kidding me, right?”
Torishima: “Circle is confirm!”
Sakaguchi: “That’s right!”
Torishima: “I can’t believe it!”
Sakaguchi: “I really can’t believe it.”
Torishima: “I totally agree with that.”

Horii: “Ah Sony…”

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i think if [Sakaguchi] is able to adapt to ffxiv, playing that shit every hour of his awake time, then he should be able to switch o and x around as well

Mr Hyde

Just wait for the PS6 Sony is going to make America use the metric system.

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

nowhat

Aren't all technical units metric in US already?
Metric is used in science, because of course. Not so much elsewhere, even in engineering. But if we want to be pedantic, US has been metric for ages, because (quoting from Wikipedia) "U.S. customary units have been defined in terms of metric units since the 19th century".

mrcroket

I will never understand this decision to annoy the Japanese by changing O to X, especially with sony being a Japanese company. It's an absurd way to lose potential market for something that has been like that for 4 generations of consoles and that for all practical purposes doesn't affect the western consumer at all.

Hudo

Sakaguchi et al. are not wrong tho. Circle is just a postive confirmation sign used in Japan outside for the fucking Playstation controller. You can see it on some forms, you can see it in game shows etc. Circle is confirm (posititve) and X is deny (negative).
It just comes across as some petty move by the Playstation HQ in California.

Famipan

They should have switched place of Circle and Cross/X.

Maru = O = OK =⭕🙆‍♂️🙆‍♀️👌✅🆗
Batsu = X = NG = Not Good = Wrong = ❌🆖🙅‍♀️🙅🙅‍. Batsu also means ”punishment”, so being forced to use X to confirm might feel like a punishment for Japanese people

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sakaguchi et al. are not wrong tho. Circle is just a postive confirmation sign used in Japan outside for the fucking Playstation controller. You can see it on some forms, you can see it in game shows etc. Circle is confirm (posititve) and X is deny (negative).
What’s even odder is, Circle on the PS controller is where A is on Nintendo controllers, and A has always been the confirmation button on Nintendo systems (ah, the woes of being a Nintendo/Xbox user).
I’m sure there were cultural / psychological reasons behind the button reconfiguration for western games, but I don’t remember if there were interviews or articles about it.

squarealex

The worst fact is... not the Sony Japan fault, but Sony America.. This is the one change O to X (and X to /\, then O on PS3).

Sony Japan just copy the schema of Nintendo when is A is O and B is X.

I mean, wtf is hard to just "swap" O + X on video game only for menu ? Leave people mapped the button free.

Things worst when Dreamcast and Xbox comming... A and B is interveted and /\ is Y (also inverted X and Y from SNES Mapping).

I don't think the "unification" of all Sony worlwide for marketing, ads and cie are bad (Sony Japan, Sony Europe, Sony Asia, Sony America), but this, is some petty move on PS5 on Jim Ryan era.
Just hope the Act 2 of PS5 will be more "PS4" era.

Last edited:
This has been annoying us PlayStation users since 1997 or so. Games before that often kept the original input scheme (e.g. FF7).

Imagine if Xbox decided to switch the confirm button from A to B. Yeah, it would seem completely nonsensical and be annoying as hell. That’s what this is like. It’s taking a button that literally means “ok” and making it perform the cancel action.

Last edited:

Hudo

What’s even odder is, Circle on the PS controller is where A is on Nintendo controllers, and A has always been the confirmation button on Nintendo systems (ah, the woes of being a Nintendo/Xbox user).
Oh, I never thought about that. Man. I wonder how it was in the beginning of PS5's life cycle for Japanese players. All the misinputs...

IAmRei

this bug me for years, and changes whenever i can. for me the confirmation is "O" and "A".
this not bug me on the Xbox Controller which i often use.

i often see the controller layout option every first time i play the game, trying to see if i can swap it or not.
(even in Souls series, i swap the attack button to be [] and /\ rather than L & R)

I can adapt almost all methods, though. only change if i can.

Ar¢tos

I bought the Japanese version of Dark Souls 3 because it released 2 weeks before the western version and it only took about 1h to get used to using O instead of X.
I'm sure the reverse is not much different.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Seeing as I got used to FF7 and MGS quickly enough, I'm sure we in the West would have all been fine with O being the main button. I wonder what the motivation for the change was.

I'm glad we moved away from △ being cancel, O instantly made more sense. Poor ▢. Ever since devs started putting light attack on R1 it doesn't get a look in unless you need to reload.

aclar00

They dont have silly forms with a box where a check mark, or X can become interchangeable? Or am i the only one who puts an X often times to "check" something off, AKA confirming that choice?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Batsu = X = NG = Wrong = Not Good ❌🆖🙅‍♀️🙅🙅‍. Batsualso means ”punishment”, so being forced to use X to confirm might feel like a punishment for Japanese people

Batsu.... Batsu.

batsu-hr.jpg

An impressive find, he has an X on his forehead... that's why his name is Batsu.

In less than a minute, I found a Capcom easter egg.

🧐

Come back... rival school

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Remember when Triangle was to cancel in the west?

I adapted to O just fine, but I can imagine with the Switch being so popular some people have trouble flipping swapping (my brain automatically adjusts when I play Switch, black magic fuckery).

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

Pretty sure it's all about the buttons placement on the controller, not what picture is on the button.

It always feels wrong going from Xbox/PlayStation to switch and having confirm be on the right instead of the down position it is on both XB and PS.

Saber

Gold Member

I can only imagine these clowns at California made this either to piss or just think they are way up their asses. Totally agree with their sentiment.

Holammer

Batsu = X = NG = Wrong = Not Good ❌🆖🙅‍♀️🙅🙅‍. Batsualso means ”punishment”, so being forced to use X to confirm might feel like a punishment for Japanese people
I remember how when they introduced the PS1 controller glyphs and explained how the symbols had no meaning. Just easy to recognize shapes.
30 years later... Ackchyually!

Hudo

I can only imagine these clowns at California made this either to piss or just think they are way up their asses. Totally agree with their sentiment.
I genuinely think that this decision was just made out of ignorance. They thought "let's just unify this for all the world. Standards are good, after all." Without even considering country-specific idiosyncrasies.

Still, they are probably way up their own asses, I agree.

Doom85

well they tried to confirm the sequel but accidentally hit cancel

Pretty sure they cancelled any hope for a proper Chrono Trigger 2 decades ago when they made Chrono Cross and told everyone, “hey everyone, did you like the characters from Chrono Trigger? You did? Well, guess what? Go fuck yourself, hahaha!!!”

TBF, I like Cross despite it having other issues, but I can only do so by pretending it’s not connected to Trigger and when they bring up the Trigger character names it is like some alternate universe version of them they’re talking about. So once again, the day is saved thanks to:

imagination GIF

Tomeru

I will never understand this decision to annoy the Japanese by changing O to X, especially with sony being a Japanese company. It's an absurd way to lose potential market for something that has been like that for 4 generations of consoles and that for all practical purposes doesn't affect the western consumer at all.

Doom85

Wasn’t it the case on PS2 at least?

Can’t remember with PS1, but in the US, pretty much all PS2 games had X as “confirm” as far as I remember.

I definitely prefer X at that way simply because O as confirm just feels weird to me. Probably because the word “no” is about the most basic way to say cancel, unconfirm, etc. and O is half the word.

Now that I think about it, why isn’t X “confirm” for Xbox? You’re the fucking Xbox for crying out loud, out of all the consoles you should be most expected to have X as “confirm”!

No wonder Xbox has had so many Ls through the years, they can’t even follow 26 letters…

X-Wing

Majority of players are outside of Japan. With consoles and software no longer being region locked it makes no sense to have two separate things.

Top Bottom