• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPN PS5 changes the confirm button from Circle to X

decisions

it a cross button. Not an x

lol I know but guess what it’s still the shape of an X. How many times have you "crossed something out" to represent confirmation? Oh wait, crossing something out is exactly what we do with a pencil to represent rejection.

Last edited:

jonnyp

The fact that it was different in the first place was fucking stupid. I remember buying a Korean PS3 and didn't know they had hardcoded this differently in Asia from my EU one. I remember struggling to start a game because I kept pushing X.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Anti consumer!

/sarcasm

Even tho this is probably going to be annoying it honestly 1 should have never been a thing and 2 been done with the ps2.

[Sigma]

9 million consoles out of 110 - shows how irrelevant the Japanese market has become really. Sad!
Totally Sony's fault too. Look at Nintendo over there. Sony has starved the base over there so much a lot of them left. It will be worse this generation with all the western moves made. Sad!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ever since the PSX JPN PlayStation games would use the Circle button as confirm. On Western systems it was always X. So you just grew to adjust to Circle when playing a game from Japan.

Sony changed this on the PS5. It's now uniform with the West in using X as confirm after 25 years of being different.

Good thing they can override it and go back to what they are used to in the system settings itself. Just like the PS4 does now. Universal mapping.

FeldMonster

How about a compromise:

Swap the "O" and the "X" button positions, but keep "O" as confirm for everybody. Japanese gamers will have to adjust their muscle memory, and Western gamers will have to adjust their (brain) memory. X does make sense as "no" or "cancel", but the bottom button should definitely be confirm.

MiguelItUp

That's strange, I wonder what made them move forward on that decision. Especially after using the former default for so long. I can imagine a number of folks being annoyed by that change.

zombrex

Arrogant Sony is back baby!
Seriously, this is ridiculous. How easy it would be to implement a button swap.
I would not be surprised if they were forced to backtrack and change it.

Last edited:
MEGATON.

It'd be nice if you could assign buttons at the OS level. PS4 kinda-sorta allowed that but I want mapping for 3rd party controllers (arcade sticks, m+kb, driving wheels, etc)

Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
One of the best parts about PlayStation are the different control mechanics in their games. Not everything has to feel the same. However, this is may or may not be a big deal. People who are still around to care, will probably get use to it. For nostalgia purposes, people could always boot up a legacy console. Is this a multiple person complaint or someone with a keen eye for detail? Is this part of the power struggle Shawn Layden mentioned? I don’t want to necessarily see Sony push good developers out the door due to policy changes. I also don’t know what it exactly feels like. I’ve enjoyed it both ways over the years because I import games for legacy consoles. I’ve not exactly spoken to a die hard Sony fan from Japan. I’m not quite sure.

Sakura

This is stupid. If they could do it for the PS4 why couldn't they do it for the PS5? You can even remap the buttons on the PS4. But now you can't just swap the buttons for the Japanese version?
Fix this shit Sony.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Small yet massive change and largely indicative of how PlayStation has become a Western games console. Sony still has some solid "exclusives" locked in with Final Fantasy, Persona, YS, Nioh as well as multi-plat Xbox/PS only titles like Tales of and Kingdom Hearts but the tide seems to be shifting. We just recently saw Gal Gun release on Xbox but not PS of all things.

The move to California, the censorship of JPN developed games, the fact that Sony doesn't really own any big Japanese Studios, and this change really make me wonder what the sentiment is for Japanese PlayStation fans. I've seen tweets here and there but I have no idea if those are just fanboys talking.

With the Switch blowing the doors off the PS4 hardware sales in Japan I have to wonder why more devs haven't shifted development over to make sure that some of these bigger titles like FF, Kingdom Hearts, and Persona are not releasing on Switch as well. I also have to wonder why Microsoft has tried to move to position the Xbox vs. PS hardware situation in Japan as Western console vs Western console since it basically is now. Seems like this would be a good opportunity for MSFT to sign some exclusive deals with some of these larger JPN devs.

I'm very interested in seeing JPN sales #s this gen: how the PS5 performs, if MSFT can gain any momentum at all, and if next gen will even impact Nintendo's juggernaut run. The next few years are going to be interesting for sure.

TeKtheSanE

Welp, time for me to get 100% used to pressing X when on playstation. Which shouldn't be an issue by the time I get PS5 since I am getting XSX first.

Life

They'll get used to it. I've played Jap games and had to adjust. It'll probably take a week or 2 and be forgotten about.

Knightime_X

Nintendo needs to do this as well.
You know how annoying it is to go from PlayStation \ Xbox to Nintendo Switch?
Cancelling my confirmation for days!!!

>_>
<_<
-_-
_-_

martino

giphy.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine one day you woke up and found out that you will now be forced to see B as confirm in all your games.
Or image you had to hit escape on your PC instead of enter.

What are these? I don't use these. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I only game on PS since 1997.

Last edited:

Lethal01

What are these? I don't use these. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I only game on PS since 1997.

What does that have to do with keyboard? You use it for more than gaming, switch your keyboard so that enter is alt f4 and escape is enter then try use this forum .

Also switch your controller to O being confirm and Switch Triangle with Square.
It's annoying, and having the option for both is ridiculously easy. So this is a bad move.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What does that have to do with keyboard? You use it for more than gaming, switch your keyboard so that enter is alt f4 and escape is enter then try use this forum .
Okay, then switch your controller to O being confirm and Switch Triangle with Square.
It's annoying, and having the option for both is ridiculously easy.

Man, you haven't played fully Japanese games on Family Game (NES) and beat them while not knowing what the fuck has happened? You call this a problem? Ok take a look here:

Yup, beaten the game several times, and many other games fully in Japanese. And no, I don't understand nor read Japanese.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Man, you haven't played fully Japanese games on Family Game (NES) and beat them while not knowing what the fuck has happened? You call this a problem? Ok take a look here:

Yup, beaten the game several times, and many other games fully in Japanese. And no, I don't understand nor read Japanese.

I'm literally playing vagrant story in japanese right now.

Okay so you got used to it, have you also switch your enter key to alt F4?

The point is that we are in 2020 and it would be ridiculously easy to have both options with no real drawback.. There is no reason they need to force people to switch.

Last edited:

Gallard

How good is button swapping on Playstation?

If a game had a tutorial prompt that read "press X to jump", but you swapped X and O, would it now read "Press O to jump"?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm literally playing vagrant story in japanese right now.

Okay so you got used to it, have you also switch your enter key to alt F4?

The point is that we are in 2020 and it would be ridiculously easy to have both options with no real drawback.. There is no reason they need to force people to switch.

It's too stupid to even talk about it as a problem, as this only affects the Japanese market. Then it's too stupid to compare enter key to alt F4 while we're speaking of O and X. There are games that use triangle as action button, some use square, some use X, some O. Every game we adapt, let's stop this concern circus.

Top Bottom