• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrontendo Thread of playing The Good, The Bad, The Ugly of the Famicom/NES

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
chrontendo is a gem. I should get back to it... I made it to episode 25 or so and just moved on to other things. it's tough to make time to watch hours devoted to the super monkey daiboukens of the world.

It is incredible, yeah. I usually just have it in the background while doing other stuff (playing jrpgs works perfect). You really should continue watch it!

Anyways, really hope he is back to Chrontendo next, while I like Chronturbo and Chronsega, its Chrontendo I came for and love the most. Also hope he will continue the project, even though the tempo seems to slow down.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It is incredible, yeah. I usually just have it in the background while doing other stuff (playing jrpgs works perfect). You really should continue watch it!

Anyways, really hope he is back to Chrontendo next, while I like Chronturbo and Chronsega, its Chrontendo I came for and love the most. Also hope he will continue the project, even though the tempo seems to slow down.

Agreed, I'll admit I'm not interested in the Video Nasties stuff he's also taking his time out to do, I do like the Chronsega for its SMS content and Chronturbo because the TG-16 library is still not too well known in the States (and its Japanese-exclusive library is even more obscure). But I'm waiting for the new Chrontendo with baited breath, he's at the point in time when the NES library really kicks into high gear.

Morfeo

Agreed, I'll admit I'm not interested in the Video Nasties stuff he's also taking his time out to do, I do like the Chronsega for its SMS content and Chronturbo because the TG-16 library is still not too well known in the States (and its Japanese-exclusive library is even more obscure). But I'm waiting for the new Chrontendo with baited breath, he's at the point in time when the NES library really kicks into high gear.

Yeah, I have absolutely no interest in Video Nasties, but I can understand why he want some change :)

Morfeo

So, have anybody that follows Dr Sparkle on twitter seen any sign of him working on another episode, or is this more or less officially done now?

-KRS-

No idea, but seeing as how he hasn't even made a post about the new episode on his blog after two months it's worrying. Then again, two months isn't even that long of a wait for this show these days.

Morfeo

He hasnt said anything about ending it, but it feels clear from all his new projects and his twitter that he has been kinda burned out for a long time. Just wondered if anybody had seen anything particular on twitter, he tweets way too much for me to keep up with it all. I kinda feel like it was probably a mistake of him to start Chronsega and Chronturbo as well, should just have kept doing Chrontendo (even though I love the other shows as well).

djtiesto

Damn, thought that there was a new episode when I saw this bumped :(

Yeah, I think the Chronsega and Chronturbo were a bit of a stretch, and then he has the Video Nasties project on top of that. I don't use Twitter but would someone who does be able to tweet him and ask if he still has any interest? IIRC, he was pretty close to finishing the latest episode of Chrontendo around the time of his last big blog post.

-KRS-

Damn, thought that there was a new episode when I saw this bumped :(

Yeah, I think the Chronsega and Chronturbo were a bit of a stretch, and then he has the Video Nasties project on top of that. I don't use Twitter but would someone who does be able to tweet him and ask if he still has any interest? IIRC, he was pretty close to finishing the latest episode of Chrontendo around the time of his last big blog post.

No he actually released that episode two months ago, but he hasn't made a blog post about it. That's the fact that's the most worrying to me.

djtiesto

No he actually released that episode two months ago, but he hasn't made a blog post about it. That's the fact that's the most worrying to me.

Holy shit... had no idea! Thanks! Time to get the popcorn
and the weed
ready ;)

Morfeo

I actually didnt realize this, yeah, definitely seems burned out then. Just hope he gets his motivation back, Chrontendo is easily the best thing on youtube.

bjork

I actually didnt realize this, yeah, definitely seems burned out then. Just hope he gets his motivation back, Chrontendo is easily the best thing on youtube.

He explained in an episode awhile back about his schedule changing, so he has less time to actually play and record. Couple that with the idea of actually playing everything to completion (unless it's impossible due to language barriers) and something like Destiny of an Emperor taking way longer than say, Popeye, and the time per episode balloons.

I want to say the time between a couple of these episodes were well over a year, so I think he'll keep going, but the notion of actually finishing one of these multiple series at this pace seems like a longshot. But however far he makes it, I'll keep watching for sure.

Morfeo

He explained in an episode awhile back about his schedule changing, so he has less time to actually play and record. Couple that with the idea of actually playing everything to completion (unless it's impossible due to language barriers) and something like Destiny of an Emperor taking way longer than say, Popeye, and the time per episode balloons.

I want to say the time between a couple of these episodes were well over a year, so I think he'll keep going, but the notion of actually finishing one of these multiple series at this pace seems like a longshot. But however far he makes it, I'll keep watching for sure.

Yeah, I will definitely continue watching for sure. And no matter how far he comes, at least we will always have the glorious first 49 episodes!

Shizza

I've seen this thread bumped every once in a while, and ended up book-marking it to check out when I had more time.

I went on a family trip this past week, so there was a lot of time to fill, and I gave this series a shot. After the first 5 minutes or so I was hooked, and I now that I'm 15 episodes in, I can't wait to watch the next one each night. I love the history tid-bits behind the console, accessories, games, etc. I never realized that the NES started it's life as a glorified arcade-port machine, and was subsequently flooded with Shumps and Ninja games. It's been great finding a few hidden gems that I hadn't heard of before; or ones that I had forgotten about since I hadn't played them in 25-30 years. It's given me a taste of games that I had a passing interest in, to determine if I want to still give them a try; or pass on them for something more enjoyable.

I'm definitely going to check out ChronSega next. And I would absolutely love to watch a series on the SNES/SFC, but based on his blog post from a while back, it doesn't look like he will be recording episodes for additional systems.

Does anyone know of any other series like this that covers the SNES/SFC?

Morfeo

I've seen this thread bumped every once in a while, and ended up book-marking it to check out when I had more time.

I went on a family trip this past week, so there was a lot of time to fill, and I gave this series a shot. After the first 5 minutes or so I was hooked, and I now that I'm 15 episodes in, I can't wait to watch the next one each night. I love the history tid-bits behind the console, accessories, games, etc. I never realized that the NES started it's life as a glorified arcade-port machine, and was subsequently flooded with Shumps and Ninja games. It's been great finding a few hidden gems that I hadn't heard of before; or ones that I had forgotten about since I hadn't played them in 25-30 years. It's given me a taste of games that I had a passing interest in, to determine if I want to still give them a try; or pass on them for something more enjoyable.

I'm definitely going to check out ChronSega next. And I would absolutely love to watch a series on the SNES/SFC, but based on his blog post from a while back, it doesn't look like he will be recording episodes for additional systems.

Does anyone know of any other series like this that covers the SNES/SFC?

When I saw this bumped I hoped for a new episode, but a new fan is not so bad either :) Anyways, nobody as far as i know does the SNES/SFC, but Greg Sewart of Player One Podcast-fame does a show called Generation 16 about the Mega Drive that is well worth checking out!

Tomita

I can't believe how much dedication this dude has to do the Chrontendo, Chronsega, and Chronturbo, even if he's "slow" about it. If I ever had the free time I would have offered to help the guy out, because holy crap. This sort of thing seems more of a community venture than the project of ONE guy. Espeically with the language barrier issues and the extra information he provides about arcades and stuff. Gotta wonder how many hours it takes for him to gather all that info...

Morfeo

I can't believe how much dedication this dude has to do the Chrontendo, Chronsega, and Chronturbo, even if he's "slow" about it. If I ever had the free time I would have offered to help the guy out, because holy crap. This sort of thing seems more of a community venture than the project of ONE guy. Espeically with the language barrier issues and the extra information he provides about arcades and stuff. Gotta wonder how many hours it takes for him to gather all that info...

I think he started it out when he was out of a job for a while and had lots of spare time, and now that he has a job, its going slower. But yeah, definitely a huge undertaking and something that probably should have been done by a team of people - not one (awesome) dude!

djtiesto

I never realized that the NES started it's life as a glorified arcade-port machine, and was subsequently flooded with Shumps and Neen-ja games.

Fixed that for you ;)

Lets definitely hope so!

Btw, how are we only on page 4? This is the best series on youtube imo and should be experienced by more people.

Yeah, more people really need to check this series out! I can understand why it's not too popular, sadly:

-There's no immediate 'hook' like the comedy sketches and snarkiness/cheesiness of Game Sack or some of the other YT retrogaming series
-It's a massive commitment to watch episodes as long as some feature-length films, plus because it focuses on chronology you are encouraged to watch from the beginning (49 episodes worth!). It's not like other YT series which focus on a clear-cut topic (oh, I can check out this video on Genesis RPGs but skip the one about PS2 kart racers)
-Inconsistent release schedule and lack of advertising (I'm a huge fan and visit his blog all the time but episode 49 flew under my radar for 2 months!)
-Some people may not like Dr. Sparkle's calm and monotone voice (I love it!)
-Finally, the videos showcase EVERY Famicom game - that means all of those baseball games, mahjongg games, generic licensed games with Japanese licenses unfamiliar to Americans, obscure Japanese-only graphic adventures and simulation games, etc. - while most YT retrogaming series focus on the really good games everyone loves, the cult classics, and the really bad games.

Morfeo

Sure all those are good reasons, but i think you can still skip thing, or at least play a game when you have it on in the background or stuff like that. Guess the interest for well-researched, informative media about retro games just isnt that big unfortunately.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Come on Jeremy, we all know you would be able to do an amazing job on such a series. Do it!

It would be incredibly fun, but time is a finite resource. My main objective is to keep Game Boy World on a weekly schedule — any other projects have to somehow fit in with that, work, and podcasting.

I expect the next one in 2019 at this rate.
its only been 4 months since the last one which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things for Chrontendo. Ultimately its 15 games plus a round up, that's more or less a game a week plus the roundup so its a pretty good effort.

Phediuk

Don't know why he was so reluctant to award a "best game" this episode.

Dusty Diamond Softball seemed like the winner to me.

djtiesto

Finally! Can't wait to watch when I get home, even if the games are apparently not that great...

Top Bottom