• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHES- Every Open Eye |OT| Clearest Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

I'll just say so far, this is a pretty mediocre album...much like the second half of their first record.

What did you think of the last album though? This one seems kind of samey so far.

Edit: Anyone know what the NPR stream bit rate would be? I feel like their sound doesn't hold up well to compression.

C-Drive

I'm liking this album a lot more than the debut. The debut has turned into a bunch of singles I enjoy, while I'm liking most everything here.

ryseing

I'll just say so far, this is a pretty mediocre album...much like the second half of their first record.

I'd argue the second half of BoWYB is stronger than the first half. Nothing from the first half can touch Recover, Science/Visions, or By the Throat.

Standouts non single wise thus far are definitely High Enough To Carry You Over and Keep You on My Side. Clearest Blue drop is still the best thing though.

Also, this thing needs to be available for DL ASAP. NPR's player doesn't play well with my cell and I want to be playing this nonstop.

I'd argue the second half of BoWYB is stronger than the first half. Nothing from the first half can touch Recover, Science/Visions, or By the Throat.

Standouts non single wise thus far are definitely High Enough To Carry You Over and Keep You on My Side. Clearest Blue drop is still the best thing though.

Also, this thing needs to be available for DL ASAP. NPR's player doesn't play well with my cell and I want to be playing this nonstop.

try using npr one. that was what i was using earlier.

MattyG

Banned

Or Lungs, or - if we're counting Special Edition bonus tracks - Broken Bones or Strong Hands.

sca2511

Can't wait for the vinyl to come in. This album will be put on repeat till my girlfriend hates it.

Or Lungs, or - if we're counting Special Edition bonus tracks - Broken Bones or Strong Hands.
Lungs, Strong Hand, and Science/Visions <3

sca2511

Did the vinyl/shirt bundle. Ordered early enough that I got the signed postcard. I doubt I'll get it Friday so psyched for next week.

I did vinyl + postcard bundle, though I was a bit late for the postcard. Used a Google snapshot of the page when it was promoting it. Text during checkout and the receipt email mentions the postcard. Have nothing to lose. Hope there's better merchandise offered later or at the shows.

I like the album a lot. And I need to mention that I met the band at Gamescom and they are not just super nice - Iain is a badass Street Fighter player! :)

danowat

Banned
Finally got round to listening it on the NPR early stream, great album, all killer, no filler.

Also, just a bit of a heads up, Chvrches are playing in the "live lounge" tomorrow on BBC R1 at midday.

ryseing

Finally got round to listening it on the NPR early stream, great album, all killer, no filler.

Also, just a bit of a heads up, Chvrches are playing in the "live lounge" tomorrow on BBC R1 at midday.

Will have to watch. Their live lounge sets are always great.

EktorOni

As a huge fan of The Bones of What You Believe, and the band in general, I have to say...

Every Open Eye is a much better album than their debut. If feels bolder, much more consistent in delivering its message, and I appreciate its pacing a lot more than I did TBoWYB's. Also, they've never made a piece like "Down Side of Me"... Their synth arrangements there, plus the backing vocals that accompany Lauren in key moments are just exquisite, and serve to transport me to dark, beautiful places.

Can't wait to own this on vinyl this Friday.

Dany

Banned
Make Them Gold,
Clearest Blue,
Keep You On My Side,
Empty Threat

man, whatever. All the songs are great. Keep You on my side, make them gold and then clearest blue makes me so happy. those three songs back to back is great.

chris121580

This may have surpassed Jamie XX as my album of the year. Every song on this is a banger. So much better than their debut

I feel like this album has less energetic songs than the first album but I do like the sound overall. Afterglow is lovely and the only thing better would be if the build up paid off somehow.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Does that one part in Clearest Blue remind anyone else of LCD Soundsystem?
After the build? Yeah, I got that feel too. I never thought much of Chvrches but what a sublime emotional but dancy track, I can't get enough of it. I love her Eurythmics style vocals at the end.

Blue Calx

Pretty good album after my first listen. Favorite songs were: Clearest Blue, High Enough to Carry You Over, Playing Dead, Afterglow and Leave a Trace.

Totally didn't realise this was out already. Loved their debut and just now realised they're from Glasgow. That's where I live omg.

Very strange they aren't coming to Glasgow for their tour. Going to Dundee ffs :(

AHA-Lambda

I can't stop listening to this! :D
I love it more than the first, absolutely no filler here, every song is great.

And got to say I LOVE Down Side of Me.

Totally didn't realise this was out already. Loved their debut and just now realised they're from Glasgow. That's where I live omg.

Very strange they aren't coming to Glasgow for their tour. Going to Dundee ffs :(

They've said they'll do something for Glasgow later but no details.

They've said they'll do something for Glasgow later but no details.

Cool. I might still get tickets for Dundee anyway. Not much of a drive and they're only £20. Thought they would be much more.

Listened to the album on NPR, it's so good. Buying as soon as possible.

EktorOni

I like the second album but I feel like they're gonna drop out pretty quickly if their albums keep sounding the same.

I don't understand this... I mean, sure, their sound is still "CHVRCHES" or whatever that means, but the song selection here is a lot more varied, focused and overall more solid than what has come before. It shows growth. I don't listen to any of these songs and think "this comes from The Bones of What You Believe"... No. I listen to them and think "this is new CHVRCHES". They feel new, refreshing and more daring than the stuff they have done previously.

danowat

Banned
I like the second album but I feel like they're gonna drop out pretty quickly if their albums keep sounding the same.

Why does a band have to keep reinventing themselves?

They've got a sound (that I like) why not stick to it, too many bands mutate IMO.

I don't listen to any of these songs and think "this comes from The Bones of What You Believe"... No. I listen to them and think "this is new CHVRCHES". They feel new, refreshing and more daring than the stuff they have done previously.

Is it? Sounds very similar to me.

Why does a band have to keep reinventing themselves?

They've got a sound (that I like) why not stick to it, too many bands mutate IMO.

I think people get bored. I know I do at least. I think it's a tightrope to walk but there are definitely ways to expand your sound without 'losing who you are' or whatever.

But really I think bands have that 2 album punch where they can sound the same but the third is where you'll see if they make their mark.

trembli0s

Already loving Make Them Gold, Clearest Blue, and High Enough to Carry You.

More than worth the purchase price when it hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom