• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHES- Every Open Eye |OT| Clearest Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reedirect

I'm not as big on them as most people seem to be, but I gave this a listen. It's pretty solid, although it drops a bit in the second half. Keep You on My Side, Make Them Gold and Clearest Blue are early favorites.

C-Drive

I like the second album but I feel like they're gonna drop out pretty quickly if their albums keep sounding the same.

I see what you're saying, financially they will drop off the map.

However, I'm a big Trapt fan, and I love the fact they sound pretty much the same today as they did on their first release - even if they aren't making the bank they were at that time. I wouldn't mind CHVRCHES having the same sort of path.

MattyG

Banned
I see what you're saying, financially they will drop off the map.

However, I'm a big Trapt fan, and I love the fact they sound pretty much the same today as they did on their first release - even if they aren't making the bank they were at that time. I wouldn't mind CHVRCHES having the same sort of path.
Same here. I've had BOWYB on playlists consistently since a bit after it came out, and I never got tired of their sound. I'm glad that they didn't change too much for EOE. Granted, there is something different about it (I can't put my finger on what exactly), but it's still very much still their sound. Aaaaaaaand I love it.

Mission

While still their sound, I agree there's something different. To me that's polish. They realised there's more to singing than hitting the notes and having a cute accent. Both Lauren and Martin got rid of what I would call "problems" with their styles. I know some people still don't like the "2 words at a time" thing but I have no issue with that. There were things Lauren did at the end of phrases almost all the time that she simply doesn't do on this album.

To me it's a balance between the indie nature of the last album and the overproduction that happened on Get Away. It's them taking that production value and confidence back to their home studio and making it their own.

I do think there's more variety too. Some closer nods to classic synth, one song (I forget which) that sounds pulled right off recent Depeche Mode, a hip hop influenced track, a slower track to end it.

MattyG

Banned
I just realized that Get Away is supposed to be on EOE too, as well as two other new tracks (Follow You and Bow Down). So there's still more coming. What a great week.

Monocle

I like the second album but I feel like they're gonna drop out pretty quickly if their albums keep sounding the same.
I read an interview where they said they were shooting for 80% of their original sound, 20% new. (It might have been posted in this thread, actually.)

I don't think it's a bad thing at all for the album to sound "the same" when the same is so fucking good. I'm glad they didn't change too much. BoWYB is probably my album of the decade.

How can anyone complain about their direction when they're still killing it with songs like Clearest Blue?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Listened to the whole thing start to finish about 10 times over the last couple of days. I think it's a fantastic record. It's only disappointing in the fact that there isn't any one song on it as good as Lungs, but I'm not sure how they would have topped that anyways.

SKINNER!

Banned
Cool. I might still get tickets for Dundee anyway. Not much of a drive and they're only £20. Thought they would be much more.

Yeah, but it's fucking Dundee. Ugh.
Saw them at the Barrowlands last year and it was out of this world so of they're playing there again this year turn I'm going there.

ashdcuk

Neo Member
Thanks for posting the stream OP - I was desperately hanging on for the actual release but listening early is getting me through the days and telling me it's been worth the wait!

ryseing

I just realized that Get Away is supposed to be on EOE too, as well as two other new tracks (Follow You and Bow Down). So there's still more coming. What a great week.

Get Away is dope, so this is good news.

(Link's in the OP if anyone wants to listen)

C-Drive

Granted, there is something different about it (I can't put my finger on what exactly), but it's still very much still their sound. Aaaaaaaand I love it.

Definitely, that difference makes me love EOE over just liking BOWYB. I'd agree with Mission, it's probably the polish.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't notice there was a Deluxe Edition CD with 14 tracks and a regular edition with 11 tracks, and I had the regular edition on order - it's rare I even purchase the CD. It's through Amazon, so I'll be able to grab the mp3s tomorrow.

El Topo

I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't notice there was a Deluxe Edition CD with 14 tracks and a regular edition with 11 tracks, and I had the regular edition on order - it's rare I even purchase the CD. It's through Amazon, so I'll be able to grab the mp3s tomorrow.

Interesting. Special Edition over here has 15 tracks. Up In Arms seems to be missing from the US/UK one.

Yeah, but it's fucking Dundee. Ugh.
Saw them at the Barrowlands last year and it was out of this world so of they're playing there again this year turn I'm going there.

Ain't it the truth! Will definitely go see them when they come back to Glasgow. I bet they're fantastic live.

C-Drive

Interesting. Special Edition over here has 15 tracks. Up In Arms seems to be missing from the US/UK one.

I'll always despise this kind of stuff. For one, there's a regular and Deluxe Edition. Then you have each region getting extra songs or missing songs.

El Topo

I'll always despise this kind of stuff. For one, there's a regular and Deluxe Edition. Then you have each region getting extra songs or missing songs.

It also sucks when some songs are only available at some retailers. Could that be the case? I only checked Amazon.

Edit:
Not available on US iTunes either.

C-Drive

It also sucks when some songs are only available at some retailers. Could that be the case? I only checked Amazon.

I don't think it is. I initially thought the three additional tracks were iTunes exclusives until I found the separate listing on Amazon for the Deluxe Edition.

Lima

These damn exclusives are out of control.

Seriously. It's just like the fucking game industry with thousand special and deluxe editions and retailer exclusive shit. Ugh.

I will just end up "finding" the extra tracks. I especially want the target songs since the pitchfork live version of clearest blue is better than the studio version.

Amazon just delayed the delivery of my copy of the album until October 5th. Isn't tomorrow the release date? Hopefully I'll get the auto rip MP3s tomorrow.

MattyG

Banned
It is up on Spotify.
yTG0R.gif

Mission

Here in central Canada it already downloaded to iTunes, same for Disclosure.

Interesting thing though... I think iTunes replaced tracks with the same track and band name as I moved them over. Can't be sure.

Anyhow... off to listen to the tracks I didn't have yet. Tomorrow I begin to search for the one that's only an exclusive.

valeo

Never got into their last album, but this takes it to a slightly higher level for me. I still don't think her voice is that great (it rides the line inbetween dull and sharp/annoying sometimes), and I think Lights has actually done some of this stuff better years ago, but you can't deny it's catchy as f*ck.

Kinda not feeling it so far... I really, really liked the first album, saw them live, was way into it. This feels a little... I dunno, samey? It's not as disastrous as the second Purity Ring album but I just listened to the whole thing and it kind of all mushed together. It sounds very similar to the first album, to a fault, I feel.

Will give it some more shots but wasn't into the first spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom