• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I would love to see a Chinese, Japanese or otherwise SE asian take on the citybuilder genre... or at least just the aesthetic.

Agreed. I want to have Asian style themes in addition to the European ones so I can have Little Tokyo and Chinatown in addition to my European enclaves.

It would also be cool if you could set the percentage of themed buildings in a district. Like for example, if my "Little Italy" district were, say, 75% European and 25% regular.

Copons

Agreed. I want to have Asian style themes in addition to the European ones so I can have Little Tokyo and Chinatown in addition to my European enclaves.

It would also be cool if you could set the percentage of themed buildings in a district. Like for example, if my "Little Italy" district were, say, 75% European and 25% regular.

As far as Tokyo goes, CityOfTokyo has a great collection of Japanese-themed stuff and nasvic is specialized in shops and whatnot.

Sadly, most of their assets aren't After Dark ready, but I see them being updated every now and then (and thank god, because that huge black Yodobashi Akiba in the middle of my main residential district was such a sore thumb!).

Ranger X

So what's the current best "first person cam" mod out there in your opinion?

I feel like being a spectator to vehicules in the street.

pislit

I would love to see a Chinese, Japanese or otherwise SE asian take on the citybuilder genre... or at least just the aesthetic.

Yeah, I would love to have a Metro Manila scenario (nothing really unique with Manila since it's largely Western, so a "scenario" will be better) where you can't fix the traffic without killing 80% of the population. HAHAHAHAHA

Copons

I kinda forgot: at which point the simulation starts collapsing and everything pretty much stops working?
I'm about to hit 100K with my first proper AD city and after 95K half my commercial zones started having problem receiving goods, and my river went dry for a bunch of day-night cycles.

spiritfox

I kinda forgot: at which point the simulation starts collapsing and everything pretty much stops working?
I'm about to hit 100K with my first proper AD city and after 95K half my commercial zones started having problem receiving goods, and my river went dry for a bunch of day-night cycles.

The simulation doesn't break even at the agent limit. It might be simplistic and kinda wonky, but it works properly within the directions given by the game. As usual, check your traffic, and are you damming that river? That might cause water flows to act up.

Copons

The simulation doesn't break even at the agent limit. It might be simplistic and kinda wonky, but it works properly within the directions given by the game. As usual, check your traffic, and are you damming that river? That might cause water flows to act up.

Yeah, maybe it was just a weird chain reaction.
I moved my drains out of the main river because the pollution started going upstream and was reaching the pumps.
This somehow made dried the river even upstream, and half the pumps stopped working for some time before the river flow "repaired" (and even more, as some marinas got flooded in the process).
This made the downtown districts, the farthest from the pumps, to not get water for a bit, killing a lot of high density commercial buildings.
Then, they were rebuilt all together and probably all their goods need started at the same time and there simply weren't enough goods ready to fulfill everything at once.

I hope it's going to fix itself after some idling, because I'm totally in love with this city.
Even if there currently are a lot of vulture-like airplanes circling above the international airport, that are creeping me out.

spiritfox

Pumps and drains do alter the flow of water, so that should be what was causing the issue. I guess you moving the pumps created a water vaccum that the water generator wasn't able to compensate for, so there wasn't enough water to fill the river. The water dynamics are a bit weird in this game, but it's better than having no water above sea level.

I think you can fix the airplane problem by bulldozing and rebuilding the airport.

Ranger X

It doesn't crash. My town is thriving at 220k peeps. You have to review how you manage your stuff there. There's a problem.

First city is around 190k. One of the things I did to help was lots of underground 6 lane tunnels. It's super expensive but it helps with traffic.

Copons

It doesn't crash. My town is thriving at 220k peeps. You have to review how you manage your stuff there. There's a problem.

Yeah, I don't actually know what could be the problem, since it occurred all of a sudden.
Up until 95K, my commercial districts were functioning just fine; then I moved the drains and when I got to 98K nothing worked anymore.

Just saying, I have several cargo stations scattered around the outskirts of the cities (which develops along the both sides of the river, so the outskirts are always near enough everything).
On top of this, the outskirts are surrounded by highways; all my industrial areas have direct access to the highways and a cargo station each; the cargo hub is near-ish downtown and anyway it's connected to the cargo-reserved railroad that runs until the station near the area more affected by the issue.

But all in all, what baffles me is that it happened so suddenly...

EDIT
First city is around 190k. One of the things I did to help was lots of underground 6 lane tunnels. It's super expensive but it helps with traffic.

Forgot to mention that my traffic is just fine.
A couple of minor gridlocks in the most crowded areas (rarely spanning more than a block anyway), and some red crossings just pointing out there's a lot of cars passing there, but nothing more really.

Copons

Do if you fix the drain problem, does it solve the rest?

Drain problem is kinda fixed (but it seems that removing both drains and pumps is causing some kind of rising tide in the river that's flooding one by one all my marina buildings :D ) but plenty of my commercial zones are still missing goods.
I'm gonna investigate more, maybe adding more highway accesses or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

You might be thinking of the object limit? At a certain point, there is too much stuff in the game, and it won't let you add any more roads or buildings or other things. Usually that doesn't happen unless you are much larger, though.

You are probably having traffic problems which prevents the supply cars from reaching your commercial buildings in time.

Copons

You might be thinking of the object limit? At a certain point, there is too much stuff in the game, and it won't let you add any more roads or buildings or other things. Usually that doesn't happen unless you are much larger, though.

You are probably having traffic problems which prevents the supply cars from reaching your commercial buildings in time.

yvgJtej.jpg

Black circles are the cargo stations (the top-right is the train/dock hub), while the blue ones are the areas most affected by the lack of goods.

I can understand the top-left area (airport zone, with basically only hotels), which doesn't have a cargo station nearby, but the others should be fine to me.

Most of the red crossings are simply high-traffic places, with not a single gridlock at all.

Looking at the map, I can see a bit of red on the railroad in the bottom part. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can 100% decouple passengers and cargo, and even cargo/cargo itself, maybe it's too crowded at times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Black circles are the cargo stations (the top-right is the train/dock hub), while the blue ones are the areas most affected by the lack of goods.

I can understand the top-left area (airport zone, with basically only hotels), which doesn't have a cargo station nearby, but the others should be fine to me.

Most of the red crossings are simply high-traffic places, with not a single gridlock at all.

Looking at the map, I can see a bit of red on the railroad in the bottom part. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can 100% decouple passengers and cargo, and even cargo/cargo itself, maybe it's too crowded at times.
Maybe you could try to put another cargo harbor on the shore right above the bottom right blue circle?

Ranger X

I suspect your problem is actually your ratio between commerce and industries. Industries produces the goods your commerce needs to sell, else they import from other towns. I suggest you try and put more industries and/or offices. I wouldn't be surprised and see your problem disappear. One thing is for sure, you have enough cargo and train.

Copons

I suspect your problem is actually your ratio between commerce and industries. Industries produces the goods your commerce needs to sell, else they import from other towns. I suggest you try and put more industries and/or offices. I wouldn't be surprised and see your problem disappear. One thing is for sure, you have enough cargo and train.

I guess it could be this: the most obvious solution, yet the one easiest to forget once developing high density and offices.
Especially because, now that I think about it, I have four main industry areas of pretty much the same size, and only one of them is a generic purpose one. So I may be producing too much raw materials but I don't have enough to actually process them.

Well, time to develop a huge new blue collar district then!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeeeeeah, no, that's my upper class tourist resort and I won't ruin the shoreline with a cargo harbor! :D

Or you could try an underground highway tunnel that leads from one of your cargo train terminals directly to the blue circle areas. Or maybe try the industrial planning policy so that your factories produce more goods.

Or turn off the big business policies in those areas so that your commercial areas consume less goods.

Copons

Or you could try an underground highway tunnel that leads from one of your cargo train terminals directly to the blue circle areas. Or maybe try the industrial planning policy so that your factories produce more goods.

Or turn off the big business policies in those areas so that your commercial areas consume less goods.

I won't go with the underground highways route, mostly because I would need to bulldoze half the city to do it, losing my entire public transport system in the process (those goddamn finicky bus lines that go crazy when you delete a road they're using!), and all your other suggestions are basically already in place: every industrial area is space planned and only one commercial area (which isn't affected by the lack of goods, by the way) is big business enabled.

But really, my best bet is that at this point I totally neglected the industrial development, only adding a new area for oil wells, which I guess it's not useful at all for producing goods.

I have a near-ish mining area that I wanted to exploit next, and I guess I could join it with a new normal industrial district, just to pollute as much as I can.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I won't go with the underground highways route, mostly because I would need to bulldoze half the city to do it, losing my entire public transport system in the process (those goddamn finicky bus lines that go crazy when you delete a road they're using!)

You have that many layers of subway? I'm sure there's some combination of depth that won't interfere with the other stuff. If a highway is too big, just use the highway off ramp.

Ranger X

His problem isn't traffic anyways. I would personally put more industries and the problem will solve itself right there.

Copons

You have that many layers of subway? I'm sure there's some combination of depth that won't interfere with the other stuff. If a highway is too big, just use the highway off ramp.

Oh no no, I've just one subway level (with the occasional sub-level in case of an unexpected crossing), but subway wouldn't be the problem.
Bus is!
When you bulldoze a road that affects a bus line (either passing on it, or that would change a turn somewhere), it's way too easy that it's rerouted in a loop or an absurdly long detour, and fixing it is a very annoying task.

His problem isn't traffic anyways. I would personally put more industries and the problem will solve itself right there.

Just zoned two new industrial areas, and now I'm planning where to put the residential supporting them.

Also, I've doubled the entire railroad passing through the city, so that cargo and passenger never cross paths, and increased the length of all cargo interchanges so that there cannot be gridlock (except for a station where trains tend to queue up, but that's just unfixable).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh no no, I've just one subway level (with the occasional sub-level in case of an unexpected crossing), but subway wouldn't be the problem.
Bus is!
When you bulldoze a road that affects a bus line (either passing on it, or that would change a turn somewhere), it's way too easy that it's rerouted in a loop or an absurdly long detour, and fixing it is a very annoying task.

You wouldn't have to delete any roads. All it is is a tunnel that goes down from your cargo or industrial area, and comes back up somewhere in the middle of your commercial area. If anything, it would only need the deletion of one building, since that's about how much space a tunnel uses up when it breaks the surface.

Copons

You wouldn't have to delete any roads. All it is is a tunnel that goes down from your cargo or industrial area, and comes back up somewhere in the middle of your commercial area. If anything, it would only need the deletion of one building, since that's about how much space a tunnel uses up when it breaks the surface.

Ah yes, you're right. Somehow in my mind I was picturing an extremely articulate underground grid of highways popping up everywhere. :D

But all in all, I'm finding much funnier to rework the entire railroad system.
At this point I managed to close a cargo loop and the station that cannot be placed in the main loop all has a mini-loop allowing train to move forward instead of backtrack and change rail, blocking the trains in queue.
Funnily enough, now more trains (not all of them) disappear at mini-looped stations after delivering, and I can just hope their cargo doesn't disappear with them. :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ah yes, you're right. Somehow in my mind I was picturing an extremely articulate underground grid of highways popping up everywhere. :D

But all in all, I'm finding much funnier to rework the entire railroad system.
At this point I managed to close a cargo loop and the station that cannot be placed in the main loop all has a mini-loop allowing train to move forward instead of backtrack and change rail, blocking the trains in queue.
Funnily enough, now more trains (not all of them) disappear at mini-looped stations after delivering, and I can just hope their cargo doesn't disappear with them. :D

Disappearing trains aren't good. You may need more room on your station bypases.

Copons

Disappearing trains aren't good. You may need more room on your station bypases.

They really have all the room they need to go wherever they please.
I've made sure all the section of tracks between forks are roughly 24 units long, which is more than enough to contain an entire cargo train.
In the mini-loop station, they can go forward, turn and get back on track ~24 units before the station.
As for now, I'm blaming the fact that I changed literally the entire railroad system and the simulation still has to figure the new routes out. I hope, at least...

EDIT: reading some random reddit posts, apparently cargo trains could despawn if they are empty and not immediately needed somewhere else.
Which would make a lot of sense, considering the station where I noticed this doesn't have any industries nearby, so it doesn't load anything on the trains to send them away.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EDIT: reading some random reddit posts, apparently cargo trains could despawn if they are empty and not immediately needed somewhere else.
Which would make a lot of sense, considering the station where I noticed this doesn't have any industries nearby, so it doesn't load anything on the trains to send them away.

Yeah, I see trains of mine just vanish sometimes after dropping off, and my current new city for After Dark is only at 60K pop so the railways aren't overly busy yet. I still have all of my trains on one rail, the rail that is connected to the outside, so I'll soon have to revamp my railways to split them all off into specialized and compartmentalized routes or I'll eventually have train traffic jams everywhere.

I love the new marinas and water park stuff, but I wish they actually put some small boat traffic into the game like Simcity 4 did, like sailboats and power boats and jetskis. I loved that atmospheric aspect of Simcity 4 and even though it's really a little thing it's like one of the things I miss most from SC4.

Of course, that speaks volumes to just how incredible Skylines actually is....

Ranger X

Ok so I tried that new policy "School Out".

Apparently this doesn't work? I mean I still get plenty of highly educated people in those new districts I created for that policy....

spiritfox

Ok so I tried that new policy "School Out".

Apparently this doesn't work? I mean I still get plenty of highly educated people in those new districts I created for that policy....

I haven't tried it yet, but I haven't seen anyone say anything about it. Then again, CO tends to make things half-assed, so I'm not surprised if it doesn't do much.

Mengy

I wish I could get into this, it just looks SO good!

It's simply the best city builder ever made. Ever. In time with more expansions and mods this game will be setting a bar so incredibly high that I fear it will be decades until a new city builder bests it. I don't even care if Simcity 6 never happens now, we already have it, and it's name is Cities Skylines.

A-V-B

Hey, what's the biggest, best map out there? Once I hit the bounds on my current city, I'll want to start up another where I can expand further out.

Mengy

do you guys play with money on or off?

I play with it on, although after a decade or so of game time I usually have a couple million saved up and money is no longer any concern. I personally like how it restricts you in the early game though, as I find it fun to start out small and gradually build a city up. If I had unlimited money I'd be springing up whole cities out of thin air instantly.

forgot how gorgeous this game can be with mods.

Thiey are great for a variety of reasons, but one of them is that, for example, if you're playing with lower graphics, the game's visuals might be unappealing. With visual mods though, you can find a more stylish visual where suddenly it doesn't matter whether you're runing on Ultra or on Lowest settings. :)

do you guys play with money on or off?

Still trying to get a couple of things unlocked lIke 30k industrial zone. Then I'll go money off to make what I want.

Edit: if you turn money off, does it effect existing cities? Do you start with all land open? Are things still locked behind population numbers?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want a mid that unlocks all 25 slots from the very start. The only one I know of only makes it so the rest become an option when you hit Megalopolis. I don't want that. So in order to get them you have to use an unlock all mod which is also not what I want. I want to play with money on and everything locked like normal but with all 25 slots available from the start or automatically opened right from the beginning. It's all I want.

Well aside from a fix that makes it so my RCI demand never stops so I can always be building. Because every time I play I hit a wall where the game refuses to demand RCI and doesn't make it clear at all why it isn't and what I can do to make it demand them again. All I want is to be able to expand forever. A mod that did this would be nice. A casual mode if you will.

These two things keep me from playing more because of the wall I hit every time. Having freedom if space would be nice to have for planning. And I want a mod that only unlocks all the roads from the start. Everything else can stay locked. Just let me build highways right out of the gate.

Top Bottom