• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Heroes roll call.

Malakhov

Banned
Since the CoH thread was lost with the server change, I thought of creating a new one.

So let's introduce our heroes once again!

Name: Nerfs D'acier
Level: 7
Class: Blaster
Origin: Mutant
Primary power: Elect.
Secondary power: Energy
Server: Victory

And here's a screenshot of my hero (you'll never guess what influenced me ;) ) :

hero.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've got several characters all between levels 1-4 right now IIRC; still trying to decide who I want to stick with for now. I was thinking of posting screenshots of all of them and seeing which one you guys like the most, although one character in particular seems to get "noticed" and I've already been asked to join teams, so I may stick with her. All my characters are scantily-clad fems, BTW...just like in other online games, people seem to treat you better and offer help if it's a female character. :p

I'm in Pinnacle. Here's my characters; going off memory so it might be off. Considering deleting one and recreating in another server:

Venomous Snake
Level 3 Mutant Scrapper
Spines/Healing

Kouri No Honou (English is basically "the flame of ice" (This is the one everyone seems to like)
Level 4 Mutant Tanker
Fire Armor/Ice Power

Oishii (English would be "Tasty." She's a nubile succubus. :D )
Level 1 Magic Controller
Mesmerize/Storm Power

Shin Hiraishin ("The new lightning rod." Why "Shin?" I had another character named Hiraishin that I deleted and replaced with this one.)

Level 2 Tech Blaster
Lightning Powers

And I have two more characters, but I forget their names. ^_^; One's a mutant scrapper with claws, the other is a tanker with stone power. I'm leaning towards the four I have above, though. I see very little spine-users, I like the Kouri character's powers/look the most, and I don't see many controllers either. Seems to be mostly "City Of Blasters."

I have an image viewer program that lets me see my screenshots, but I don't know if I can convert them to JPEG files. What programs other than Photoshop would let me do that?

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah I do see a lot of blasters in the game, like 7 or 8 out of ten peeps I see are blasters.

The only reason I play a blaster is because I've always played a tank/warrior in other mmorpgs and this time I wanted to try something different.

I'm having a blast with my blaster ( ;) ) so far and I will continue leveling him up but I will probably end up creating and trying a tanker in the near future.

I just got the game yesterday and I'm already level 7, this game is really fast paced wich I like, a change from most rpgs. Though I will admit I did play excessively since yesterday ;)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So do you get to custom design your character/hero from its appearance to its abilities ?

Razoric

Banned
NetMapel said:
So do you get to custom design your character/hero from its appearance to its abilities ?

You can customize everything about your character. It terms of how your abilities look... not yet but I hear that's coming as well.

Lyte Edge

When do you get flight/high jump power, and does it matter which class you are for what you get?

Razoric

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
When do you get flight/high jump power, and does it matter which class you are for what you get?

Level 14

And no, you can pick between Super Speed, Flight, Super Jump or Teleport.

Lyte Edge said:
Kouri No Honou (English is basically "the flame of ice" (This is the one everyone seems to like)
Level 4 Mutant Tanker
Fire Armor/Ice Power

Not to be a romaji dick, but that should really be "Koori no Honoo." Both words extend the vowel with "o," not "u" per usual.

Lyte Edge

JackFrost2012 said:
Not to be a romaji dick, but that should really be "Koori no Honoo." Both words extend the vowel with "o," not "u" per usual.

Heh, you don't have to tell me that, but that's one type of romanization, and I've generally only seen it used in textbooks like Japanese The Spoken Language. The more "traditional" or accepted version would be to use a "u" instead of an "o," and in City Of Heroes' case, if people saw "Koori," they'd think it was "Koo (rhymes with clue) Ree" instead of "Koh-ri."

Lyte Edge said:
Heh, you don't have to tell me that, but that's one type of romanization, and I've generally only seen it used in textbooks like Japanese The Spoken Language. The more "traditional" or accepted version would be to use a "u" instead of an "o," and in City Of Heroes' case, if people saw "Koori," they'd think it was "Koo (rhymes with clue) Ree" instead of "Koh-ri."

I know that there are multiple types of romajization. This is not related to that issue.

An extended "oh" sound in Japanese can take two different forms in hiragana:
1) O-U
2) O-O

Even though the hiragana in the first form is a "U," phonetically it's considered part of the "O." So, sometimes it's written "oo" in English and sometimes it's written "ou." Both are considered valid romajizations because of the disparity between the reality of the hiragana and the conceptual phoneme.

The second, however, is an O and then another, separate, O. Both of the words in your name are written like this in Japanese: KO-O-RI and HO-NO-O. Changing the second O to a U is a way illegal move.

Let's Googlefighting!
"koori ice" vs. "kouri ice"
"honoo flame" vs. "honou flame"

That said, I agree that it's probably the better way to spell it for an English-speaking audience, but that doesn't make it any less of a hellaciously improper romajization. Personally, I would go with Kori no Hono, putting macrons over the necessary vowels if possible: Kōri no Honō.

Lyte Edge

JackFrost2012 said:
I know that there are multiple types of romajization. This is not related to that issue.

An extended "oh" sound in Japanese can take two different forms in hiragana:
1) O-U
2) O-O

Even though the hiragana in the first form is a "U," phonetically it's considered part of the "O." So, sometimes it's written "oo" in English and sometimes it's written "ou." Both are considered valid romajizations because of the disparity between the reality of the hiragana and the conceptual phoneme.

The second, however, is an O and then another, separate, O. Both of the words in your name are written like this in Japanese: KO-O-RI and HO-NO-O. Changing the second O to a U is a way illegal move.

Let's Googlefighting!
"koori ice" vs. "kouri ice"
"honoo flame" vs. "honou flame"

That said, I agree that it's probably the better way to spell it for an English-speaking audience, but that doesn't make it any less of a hellaciously improper romajization. Personally, I would go with Kori no Hono, putting macrons over the necessary vowels if possible: Kōri no Honō.

The macro way is by far the proper way, but I checked, and it's "HO-NO-O;" there's no "u" like I previously thought. But the bottom line is that I'm not going to restart to change the spelling, and the spelling is indeed for English speakers, and you seem to agree with me that it's better for them. I'm not aiming for proper spelling when I'm playing video games, you know? :)

But tell me something...how the heck do I use macros when typing, anyway, and does it work in City Of Heroes?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Well, I finally caved in and bought the game! I re-created my character from the beta, Obo the brain-melting robot Controller! =) Playing on the Victory server. Here's some old pics from the beta that I've already posted a few times. I'll take some new ones soon! Hope to see some of ya on the game! 8)

coh3.jpg

coh7.jpg

Lyte Edge

Pinnacle is where I am! I didn't know that you could just type in names for the friends list; thought that you had to meet the person online like in PSO, so I'll start typing in everyone's name and see if I can catch anyone GA peeps online. My names/characters have changed AGAIN, but I think I feel pretty comfortable with who I'm using now. Pretty much going back and forth between three characters; I'll post screens and names tonight. I'd like for you guys to vote on which design you like best, and I'll probably then stick with that one character. I was shooting for "TEH NAKKED HOT CHICK!!1" design, but am finding that I prefer the more clothed character I made, sort of looks like a female version of K' from KOF. :)

My characters (all on Pinnacle server):

Fire-Ball
Lvl. 8 Fire/Fire Mutation Tanker

Voodoo Spirit
Lvl. 5 Illusion/Empathy Magic Controller

(The) Prototype. (note the period, actual name is "Prototype." for friends list, CoH adds the "The")
Lvl. 10 Energy/Energy Technology Blaster

Buffy Summers
Lvl. 6 Martial Arts/Super Reflexes Natural Scrapper

Lyte Edge

I'd love it if everyone here picks a sever that none of us are currently on, and we all create new characters to use in an all Gaming-Age super group. :)

BTW, what level do you have to be to start a super group again? Was is level 10?

I figure I'll fill up one server with all female characters, then start on another server later with male characters if I start getting bored. But I guess I really need to concentrate on getting just one or two characters leveled up already! My latest character is called Burn' (Note the " ' "...it's supposed to be like "Dash")...already thinking of recreating and changing the look slightly. I just can't stop messing with the create options.

Tabs

Lyte, sounds great to me. Let's just decide on which server and get to it. I can get to level 7 in a night or two. 10 is just a few days work. I currently have a 20 Illusion/Rad Controller and 12 Fire/Devices Blaster on Freedom.

MrCheez

I chose Pinnacle first but "Obo" was already taken. =( How the heck does that happen?

I'm taking a break from the game until the next content patch goes live; advancement got to be too slow for my taste, especially after the most recent rebalancing, and they need to hammer out some small balancing issues before I return. (But mostly it's just that World of Warcraft is soooooooooooooooooo good, and why pay for CoH when my MMO time is going to be spent elsewhere?)

In any case, the good things about City of Heroes are:

- Incredible customization of the appearance of your character, as I'm sure you've seen. It's really fun and cool to make a hero JUST the way you want. The possible power sets and combinations are also fun.

- It's REALLY easy to find people to group with - you can usually be in a team, killing things and having fun, within five minutes of getting online. Compare to the one or two hours spent scrabbling a team together in FFXI.

- Even more importantly, almost any group can fight together effectively. This is a HUGE change from most MMOs, where you NEED an exact group of four or five specific classes, all within three levels of each other, to have any chance in hell of accomplishing anything. The sidekick system (instantly pump someone up to your-level-minus-one) also helps with this.

- Fighting is just really, really fun. You are a superhero, and you start out with cool powers, move up to awesome ones, and end up with frickin' rad abilities. It's in real time, and each skill you use has an associated Endurance cost (MP) and recharge time. So a power blast might be cheap and reusable within 4 seconds, while an Area-of-Effect damage spell is expensive and take 45 seconds to recharge. Since you'll probably be using five or six different skills in battle, it can be really fun to switch between them, running around waiting for the one you need to come back, and switching up the ones you use according to both necessity and charge time. There's no "attack, attack, attack, attack." Instead, it's "strong ice blast, ice freeze, weak ice blast, ice storm, punch, weak ice blast, ice breath, ice breeze, strong ice blast, weak ice blast." You also tend to fight enemies in groups of 3-6, a welcome change from the "solo or die" difficulty of most MMOs.

- Streamlined gameplay. There isn't any armor or weapons - you are your powers. There's no "trade skills" or "crafting" - you fight. You can put "enhancements" into your powers to make them faster, more powerful, etc. You can also carry "inspirations," which are items that instantly restore some HP/MP, increase damage/accuracy. etc.

The negatives, imo, are that it takes a long while to level up past level 10 or so, and the mission objectives can get really repetitive, really quickly. Like PSO, there's not much to the game beyond fighting; also like PSO, the fighting is fun and varied enough to keep you having fun. Still, I put about 35 hrs into the game and loved, if not every minute of it, at least 90% of them. Personally, though, I'd recommend playing WoW or just holding off for another month or two ... the new content patch and rebalancing sound like they'll hopefully address most of my concerns.

City of Heroes is by far the best MMO out of the gate I've seen, and I look forward to returning to it in a few months once it's even better.

Malakhov

Banned
I've made level 6 already with my fire/fire blaster that I've created this morning. He's kicking SERIOUS ass, much more than my elec/energy blaster. I think I'm gonna stick with him now.

MrCheez

Re-rolled my Controller, he's now a Gravity/Kinetics Controller... and man am I having a blast with him! I just got the ability to throw things (such as cars) at enemies with telekinesis. =D

I am definitely starting to find myself addicted to this game. =)

Here are some quick screens from tonight's misadventures!

OboScreen1.jpg

OboScreen2.jpg

OboScreen3.jpg

OboScreen4.jpg

OboScreen5.jpg

SaitoH

Bardiel

level 9 Ice/ice blaster

Bardielavatar.jpg

Dogface

Level 11 Ice/ice tanker

dogfaceavatar.jpg

SamusAran

Level 21 Energy/ Devices Blaster

Samusavatar.jpg

No picture, but I also have a level 9 Fire/rad controller named and modeled after lina inverse as well as a level 7 Martial arts/regen scrapper named Helios.

^w^

Lyte Edge

Okay, it seems like most people are on Victory, so that will be the official GA server. I am creating a new character for it right now...name will be "Moeru."

Unless everyone would rather all start over TOGETHER, meaning that we pick a server no one is on. Thoughts?

Lyte Edge said:
Okay, it seems like most people are on Victory, so that will be the official GA server. I am creating a new character for it right now...name will be "Moeru."

Unless everyone would rather all start over TOGETHER, meaning that we pick a server no one is on. Thoughts?

I'd rather start over and have everyone create a new character.

MrCheez

The people already on Victory could always just starte new characters to be fair. Me and a handful of real life friends just just started on Victory last night.

Saito, I said it in the other thread but I love that Samus hero! Clever idea with the comic-book styled avatars too.

Razoric

Banned
I'll start a character on Victory.

I think I want to try out a controller. What are some good controller powers if I want to deal a bit of damage? :)

Lyte Edge

Okay, I've made two characters. Which do you guys like the best?

Moeru- Tanker/Fire Powers
COH%20Moe.JPG

Hiraishin- Blaster/Electric Powers
COH%20Hirai.JPG

Leaning more towards Hiraishin since I haven't used a blaster yet.

Created a new Victory character:

Amun (Amun, sometimes spelled Ammon, is the Egyptian God of Creation)

Science Defender (at first I was going to make a different character, then I changed to the final design but forgot to change the origin type to magic or natural)

Storm Summoning/Dark Blast power sets

126601.jpg

Top Bottom