• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City Pop: The Late 70s-80s Funky-Smooth Japanese Music Phenomenon

dsp

80's Japanese R&B has a new name!?
Hmmm...

tenor.gif

Holy shit this thread is awesome, I've been on a Yung Bae, Macross 82-99, and Waterfront Dining binge the last few weeks lol.

Love music like this!

Are there any playlists for Apple Music?

And to whoever liked the stuff from Casiopea, go check out T-Square(aka the dudes who wrote most if not all the original jazz in Gran Turismo), Issei Noro Inspirits, and Trix. I'd also throw out Kaori Kobayashi(one of the best female sax players today imo) but she's more of a traditional jazz musician than jazz fusion like those guys above.

Now the question is, should I risk it and open this thread while I'm at work tomorrow? Lol.

The OGs of Japanese 70s Synth-Funk:

Godiego
The funkiest Wukongs, for sure. I'll never forget the lyrics and crazy synth work in this one.

More on-topic, do you know Casiopea? They're a Japanese super funky jazz-fusion group operating at the same time as City Pop and they're definitely City Pop-adjacent.
I'd argue T-Square (formerly The Square) is closer to instrumental kayokyoku (City Pop) fusion than Casiopea, and they're somehow more underrated on GAF despite their co-leader Masahiro Ando writing original music for Gran Turismo games. Definitely take a listen to some of their early stuff for City Pop vibes, like Make Me a Star and Rainbow. Japanese pop fusion like this and Toshiki Kadomatsu is quite something to get into.

Pretty sure Kazunori Yamauchi is a T-Square otaku since he contracted Satoshi Bandoh (one of the band's recent drummers) to do some GT tracks.

Not as bubbly as other city pop songs but this is my shit even though it is a damn near cover of Can't Hide Love by Earth Wind and Fire.
Mai Yamane - Tasogare
Same singer from Real Folk Blues from Cowboy Bebop
Her '80s work is also really good, with more genre variance and plenty of vocal expression. Sadly there's a lot of Japanese pop media which could really benefit from huskier singers like her and MIQ, rather than squeaky clean voices even when they don't fit.

A number of key reissues are coming from some existing and new record labels in the near future. This is the next big thing thanks to all that dumb vaporwave stuff.
City Pop shouldn't have been lost in translation to begin with. I guess the similarities between '70s/80s kayokyoku and its influences from overseas made all these artists seem more like copycats than something worth spreading and talking about. Thankfully we've crossed a threshold and plenty more people are talking about this style.

Holy shit, another T-Square fan ninja'd me! Thank you. I like Kobayashi a lot too, though she and Masato Honda get a bit too sickly sweet on their jazz fusion albums.

Rydeen

That whole album is amazing, I really like the first track as well, perfect 80's J-pop confection, makes me so upset I was too young to ever experience a Tokyo sunset in mid-80's Japan.

https://youtu.be/q8K0zJ5x_GE

Also can't recommend Taeko Ohnuki's Sunshower enough, her voice is sweet, with an underlying sense of melancholy and sadness to every line that makes it stand out from the pack.

https://youtu.be/98fqXx-KFgI

Pretty sure Kazunori Yamauchi is a T-Square otaku since he contracted Satoshi Bandoh (one of the band's recent drummers) to do some GT tracks.

The connecting DNA is T-Square's soundtrack for Fuji TV's F-1 Racing broadcasts from the late 80's / early 90's:

https://youtu.be/ZAHLRVTWoRU

TBH I'm a bigger fan of the instrumental fusion jazz stuff like T-Square and Casiopea than of City Pop, but I love all of it. I bought a crap ton of Casiopea and T-Square CD's when I was in Tokyo in March, less worried about them getting damaged in transportation than vinyls.

A number of key reissues are coming from some existing and new record labels in the near future. This is the next big thing thanks to all that dumb vaporwave stuff.

As someone who somewhere tries to follow reissue of older Japanese music do you know where information on these reissues (when they are coming mostly) are?

TBH I'm a bigger fan of the instrumental fusion jazz stuff like T-Square and Casiopea than of City Pop, but I love all of it. I bought a crap ton of Casiopea and T-Square CD's when I was in Tokyo in March, less worried about them getting damaged in transportation than vinyls.
Japanese jazz fusion will always fly under the radar, as City Pop's resurgence in our part of the Web shows. But at least T-Square's doing well into old age and ex-Casiopea members (especially Akira Jimbo) have it made. I also really like Soil & Pimp Sessions, though they lean more towards a frenzied contemporary jazz than fusion.

As someone who somewhere tries to follow reissue of older Japanese music do you know where information on these reissues (when they are coming mostly) are?
Discogs is really the best you can use outside of tracking down Japanese fansites.

Discogs is really the best you can use outside of tracking down Japanese fansites.

Yeah that's been my approach along with checking hmv occasionally for upcoming releases. From the post I was replying to, it just sounded like there might be some us/Europe labels getting the licenses to reissue some of these albums (similar to George Clanton reissuing Software's Digital-Dance album, WRWTFWW Midori Takada releases, or Light in the Attic slow stream of various Japanese albums).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah that's been my approach along with checking hmv occasionally for upcoming releases. From the post I was replying to, it just sounded like there might be some us/Europe labels getting the licenses to reissue some of these albums (similar to George Clanton reissuing Software's Digital-Dance album, WRWTFWW Midori Takada releases, or Light in the Attic slow stream of various Japanese albums).

I'll proxy you original cd presses found at bookoff for extremely high proxy fees

rrs

nobody has mentioned the Tatsuro Yamashita's OST to Big Wave, it's worth a listen to hear a mirror world of English vocals to city pop
I always confuse city pop with future funk. They're basically just jazzy japanese songs right?
future funk is roughly city pop made with city pop, etc samples

A lot of this music reminds me of late 80s & early 90s SEGA Arcade & Genesis music. Especially those synth bass lines, straight FM bliss.
the sega sound devs were heavily inspired by the genre

HotHamBoy

future funk is roughly city pop made with city pop, etc samples

the sega sound devs were heavily inspired by the genre

Yeah, it's really clear. Like my post up above suggests, Hiroshi Kawaguchi must have had that shit on loop.

But even as recent as Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast you have tracks like this:

Station Square

That sounds a hell of a lot like those two tracks I just posted above:

HotHamBoy said:
These songs seem to be from an OutRun game that doesn't exist.

Midsummer Drivin'

Sea Line

Like, god damn perfect.

karobit

as far as contemporary artists with this style, this probably veers a little more vaporwave than city pop (and her other stuff is definitely more reggae inspired), but I was surprised just how strong Natsu Summer's "Hello Future Day" is

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I generally hear about them through other boards, also just on Discogs when I'm looking for deals, heh. Euro and Japanese labels have been reissuing assorted things over the last few years (Hosono, Sato, the CBS/Sony series, etc), Light In the Attic and Forced Exposure are helping distribute some things in the US although some of these are more on the avant garde end of things (but no less important and often even harder to track down)

Valhelm

contribute something
City pop is cool as hell, learned about it on /mu/ just a couple months ago

Tatsuro Yamashita was king of the scene and his music brings to mind some 90s anime too slick and too dreamy to ever actually exist

Infinite

Holy shit this thread is awesome, I've been on a Yung Bae, Macross 82-99, and Waterfront Dining binge the last few weeks lol.

Love music like this!

Are there any playlists for Apple Music?

And to whoever liked the stuff from Casiopea, go check out T-Square(aka the dudes who wrote most if not all the original jazz in Gran Turismo), Issei Noro Inspirits, and Trix. I'd also throw out Kaori Kobayashi(one of the best female sax players today imo) but she's more of a traditional jazz musician than jazz fusion like those guys above.

Now the question is, should I risk it and open this thread while I'm at work tomorrow? Lol.
Yung Bae and Macross were that dudes. Check out Architecture in Tokyo if you feel those

I generally hear about them through other boards, also just on Discogs when I'm looking for deals, heh. Euro and Japanese labels have been reissuing assorted things over the last few years (Hosono, Sato, the CBS/Sony series, etc), Light In the Attic and Forced Exposure are helping distribute some things in the US although some of these are more on the avant garde end of things (but no less important and often even harder to track down)

Cool thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a new label that had somehow got the rights to a bunch of city pop or something. Light in The Attic's output had been killer this year and they seem to be looking to push even harder into releasing great Japanese music, which is pretty exciting because their other releases of rare foreign and Native American music have all been great.

City pop is cool as hell, learned about it on /mu/ just a couple months ago

Tatsuro Yamashita was king of the scene and his music brings to mind some 90s anime too slick and too dreamy to ever actually exist
This really is a /mu/ pet genre. I first learned about City Pop when I stumbled on Sugar Babe's album SONGS, which helped pioneer the style and led to solo success for Yamashita and Taeko Ohnuki. And it struck me just how much influence this style of kayokyoku had on video game musicians in the '80s.

One artist to really look out for, if you want the alternative side of this musical period, is Akiko Yano. She ranged between art-rock (Japanese Girl), low-key singer-songwriter/City Pop (Dinner's Ready), synth-pop (Tadaima), '80s new wave (Home on the Mountain Pass), and other cool stuff. She's one of the best singers I can think of and invested a lot in great arrangement/production.

Been cruising around to the Kiyotaka Sugiyama albums in my Miata all summer. It's like I am living Outrun, minus the blonde and the running into signs and flipping over.

PInk Tape

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I discovered City Pop like a month or so ago with Plastic Love and fell in love with the genre.

Soulstar

I was just introduced to the concept of City Pop recently. So I'm loving this thread. I actually know a few of these songs but I didn't know what the genre was but now that I know I am about to go down a deep and wonderful rabbit hole.

Chindogg

I just discovered this thread.

Holy shit I love this genre. Is any of this on vinyl at all? I'd love to add some to my collection.

Top Bottom