• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City Pop: The Late 70s-80s Funky-Smooth Japanese Music Phenomenon

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Kinda neat, but literally have no way to play cassettes in my house or my car so meh.

Step up senpai

DH9TcDdUAAAZ8GT.jpg

HotHamBoy

And many Japanese people would disagree with your definition. Many musicians would disagree. I personally really don't like the label, and artists nowadays trying to label themselves just muddy the waters even more.

Anyway, lots of cool artists you're sharing, so I'm happy to see more people listening to awesome Japanese music! Thanks for the thread.

Fair enough, I only just discovered this genre on Monday!

I'm glad people are digging the thread, I can't stop listening to this stuff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Maybe I haven't listened to enough but I'm not hearing 70s just funk holdovers that became a foundation of 80s pop but in a purely 80s way.

HotHamBoy

Maybe I haven't listened to enough but I'm not hearing 70s just funk holdovers that became a foundation of 80s pop but in a purely 80s way.

What do you mean? There's a lot of artists who started in the late 70s, I just didn't post any in the OP.

I'm really partial to Kimiko Kasai's stuff:

Kimiko Kasai - Very Special Moment (1977)

Kimiko Kasai - Vibration (1977)

Kimiko Kasai - As (1978)

Kimiko Kasai w/ Herbie Hancock - I Thought It Was You (1978)

But going back to the 80s...

Kimiko Kasai - Mmm Mmm Good (1984)

Super tasty

Yo, you guys gotta help me!

About a year or two ago I was making my way through a pretty big Youtube Playlist of japanese 80s pop songs.

There were a couple of songs from an album that have since been deleted and I don't remember the name of the artist or the songs for that matter, only the album cover.

I *think* the song titles were in english and in all caps, but I'm not entirely sure. The background on the cover was nothing but the color orange all over, and on the right half of the cover was a huge cutout of the artist's face. She had curly, long hair, a smile and she seemed pretty young, but that's always hard to tell. I remember one or two of those songs was pretty catchy, the rest was kinda eh. Does anyone know the album I'm talking about?

In regards to Y.M.O (Yellow Magic Orchestra) being mentioned, for those unfamiliar with the group please look up "Firecracker" and bask in its late-70s synth pop electro funk goodness.
God it's so gooood.

chirt

Neo Member
Subbed to this thread, I need more of this in my life. I used to live in Japan and just started collecting records. Such a shame those periods of my life did not overlap with my discovering of this thread.

gun_haver

I just wanna say this topic is responsible for me going on a hunt and finding the most solid treasure trove of kinds of music I've ever found. It's everything I ever wanted, and it seems to be endless.

Top Bottom