• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

So I spent 3 and a 1/2 hours playing the demo today (two full runs, I think it stops at 200 turns). I don't remember vanilla Civ5 being this fun, my goodness.

E: Just spent a solid 6 minutes Googling if this was a standalone expansion or not and came up empty (meaning, don't need to own Civ 5 to play). Any help? Thanks

So I spent 3 and a 1/2 hours playing the demo today (two full runs, I think it stops at 200 turns). I don't remember vanilla Civ5 being this fun, my goodness.

E: Just spent a solid 6 minutes Googling if this was a standalone expansion or not and came up empty (meaning, don't need to own Civ 5 to play). Any help? Thanks

It's not a standalone expansion.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Full pack sans BNW was $12.50.

It frequently goes on sale so you probably won't wait too long for a deal.

Ogimachi

Spain can be immensly powerfull, imagine finding El Dorado early. 2 free settlers... That's a won game right here.

But, it's too random. In the 40 games I've finished and the hundreds I've rerolled, I've never gotten a natural wonder in the neighbourhood of my starting area. And maybe 2 or 3 instances where I got one in a city I settled myself. And that's the reason Spain isn't actually OP, there's a big chance their entire UA is useless. Except for like 600 gold or something on a standard map. Which isn't useless... It's a settler and change, but hardly really good.

But when you get a holy mountain in your starting position... man... Just go Holy War and finish up early.
That's not bad luck, the map generator code explicitly makes them so that natural wonders are placed far from the player. Unless you're playing with multiple humans, they won't be anywhere near your starting area.

ST2K

That's not bad luck, the map generator code explicitly makes them so that natural wonders are placed far from the player. Unless you're playing with multiple humans, they won't be anywhere near your starting area.

Are you assuming a huge map size too? Because that's totally not my experience playing on standard map size, or even the one above that. Take this game I started today, Cerro De Potosi dropped 7 hexes away from my capital, prime ground for me to drop a second or third city next to it without it being too far away from my capital. And it's pretty typical for me to run into wonders in that type of proximity.

Ogimachi

Are you assuming a huge map size too? Because that's totally not my experience playing on standard map size, or even the one above that. Take this game I started today, Cerro De Potosi dropped 7 hexes away from my capital, prime ground for me to drop a second or third city next to it without it being too far away from my capital. And it's pretty typical for me to run into wonders in that type of proximity.
Huge maps have 7 natural wonders, I believe. The code prevents them from being in workable space from the spot you start with your settler, but 7 tiles away is normal, just very lucky.
I've seen strange things happen, though, like unreachable city-states and natural wonders absolutely surrounded by mountains lol

Still learning the game, but on continents maps it seems like its much easier to get a space win than a domination victory. I've now achieved every victory condition but domination and time based.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Still learning the game, but on continents maps it seems like its much easier to get a space win than a domination victory. I've now achieved every victory condition but domination and time based.

You know, thinking about it now I'm not sure I've ever gotten a time victory in Civ V. I form a gameplan fairly early on and usually stay pretty focused on the goal. Of course the occasional surprise war happens and you have to adapt but by the mid game I know where I want to end up. Out of all the games of Civ V I've played I think I've either won the way I wanted to or lost the game to an AI civ. I really don't think I've ever taken a Civ V game all the way to the time limit.

Maybe after my current game I'll start one with a time victory in mind. I'll control the World Congress but use my votes as delaying actions to prolong the game. I'll stay peaceful wherever possible but if another civ gets close to a space race victory, or a tourism win, or starts to run away with land grabbing I'll intervene just to keep the clock ticking. That could actually be fun.

Geido

Wow, really? It seems like I have access to at least one natural wonder at some point in a significant percentage of my games. Even if it's one I don't particularly like, like Old Faithful. Do you usually play on a particular map type?

Maybe I just got lucky in these past couple games.

Mostly pangea. Have been doing several archipelago maps recently because of the addition of trade, there it's easier to get a natural wonder because of the relatively slow expansion of your neighbours and the fact that having a widely spread empire is more common.

But, I am a fan of tall and small, so that definitely factors in. But usually, all of the natural wonders are taken by city states.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like the way I enjoy playing Civ 5 is almost cheating :( I love the naval game so I almost always play on large islands, where my empire is surrounded by water and if anyone wants to attack you they have to send a fleet. the AI seems to completely suck at Navies, as it seems to almost outright ignore buildign subs. Soon as I get to refrigeration I'm churning out subs like crazy, declaring war and WASTING every single AI player no matter how strong they are. I want more challenge, but I also like having islands all to my self as I enjoy the empire management more than the war game. But then it seems no matter what difficulty you play on, if your empire is allowed to be on its own you are going to win. Its even worse now that trade is so heavily leaned toward the naval side.

SaskBoy

Playing a King Level Domination game with the Shoshone. I have captured 3 capitals so far (Indonesian, Denmark, and Aztecs). Left to go are Austria, Netherlands, Iroquois and India. I'm trying to decide who to go after next but it's difficult because EVERYONE is friendly with everyone else. If I attack one, everyone else will hate me! It's still early enough that having the whole world hate me would make it difficult to win. I guess I could just wait for an opportunity.

Do you have to hold the capitals for a certain amount of time to win Domination? All of the remaining capitals are coastal cities, so it's possible that I could time it properly and capture all the remaining capitals on the same turn. Sounds risky though.

Edit: Also, how can I reduce the influence other civilizations ideologies have on my public opinion? I thought it was tourism but, I'm still getting -15 happiness from the Iroquois Ideology. Even though I have a higher tourism output than him.

Edit: Also, how can I reduce the influence other civilizations ideologies have on my public opinion? I thought it was tourism but, I'm still getting -15 happiness from the Iroquois Ideology. Even though I have a higher tourism output than him.

Culture helps defend against opposing ideologies, but only so much. Any civ with decent tourism output will get to 10% ("exotic") influence w/ a one unit pressure on you. You kind of have to deal with it. Note that if you have a buddy in the same ideology putting on more tourism pressure than the other ideologies, then you'll be OK and content. Hence,
there is a strong benefit to "following" a cultural powerhouse into their ideology if you don't have sufficient cultural defense.

Shane86

A lot of the advanced map settings are missing for me (sea level, temperature, rainfall, resources etc.) Were they removed in this?

Pagusas

Elden Member
A lot of the advanced map settings are missing for me (sea level, temperature, rainfall, resources etc.) Were they removed in this?

They are still there, but it depends what map type you select. When you are in the advanced menu, if you choose small continents you will get all the options, but if you choose large islands you'll lose the ability to choose sea level.

SaskBoy

Culture helps defend against opposing ideologies, but only so much. Any civ with decent tourism output will get to 10% ("exotic") influence w/ a one unit pressure on you. You kind of have to deal with it. Note that if you have a buddy in the same ideology putting on more tourism pressure than the other ideologies, then you'll be OK and content. Hence,
there is a strong benefit to "following" a cultural powerhouse into their ideology if you don't have sufficient cultural defense.

Does the AI always choose an ideology different than you? I've never played a game where I wasn't the minority Ideology. I have always used Freedom, this game I am using Order.

ShaneB

I feel like the way I enjoy playing Civ 5 is almost cheating :( I love the naval game so I almost always play on large islands, where my empire is surrounded by water and if anyone wants to attack you they have to send a fleet. the AI seems to completely suck at Navies, as it seems to almost outright ignore buildign subs. Soon as I get to refrigeration I'm churning out subs like crazy, declaring war and WASTING every single AI player no matter how strong they are. I want more challenge, but I also like having islands all to my self as I enjoy the empire management more than the war game. But then it seems no matter what difficulty you play on, if your empire is allowed to be on its own you are going to win. Its even worse now that trade is so heavily leaned toward the naval side.

I've been playing this way as well, playing with islands generally leads to a more pacifist game and I'm left alone for a fair amount of time.

ST2K

Does the AI always choose an ideology different than you? I've never played a game where I wasn't the minority Ideology. I have always used Freedom, this game I am using Order.

Order tends to be the most popular, in my experience. And I have had people follow me in ideology. But yeah, they tend to pick whatever you don't, for some reason.

finally picked up Brave New World.

Loving Venice right now. Very different than other civs. I'm still very early (60ish turns), but already up to 40-50 gold and 20 culture per turn. Interested to see how this thing turns out.

InertiaXr

Is there any way to turn off the leader videos that come up when your talking to them? They don't show in multiplayer, basically just the UI when interacting them comes up over the map which is awesome, but I don't see an option to do the same thing in a single player game. For whatever reason they basically lock up my computer for 5+ seconds at a time when loading each one, which is pretty annoying...

Shane86

Some map scripts don't have such settings, usually the more specific ones (Japan, British Isles, etc).

They are still there, but it depends what map type you select. When you are in the advanced menu, if you choose small continents you will get all the options, but if you choose large islands you'll lose the ability to choose sea level.
I tried all the standard maps (pangaea, continents, etc.) and none of those options are appearing for me in the advanced menu

Wes

venison crêpe
Is there any way to turn off the leader videos that come up when your talking to them? They don't show in multiplayer, basically just the UI when interacting them comes up over the map which is awesome, but I don't see an option to do the same thing in a single player game. For whatever reason they basically lock up my computer for 5+ seconds at a time when loading each one, which is pretty annoying...

Pretty sure there's an option under Video/Graphics for detail of Leader Scenes, or something along those lines. Lower settings have no animation during these scenes.

Geido

Wow, just did a quick MP game with some friend. Random everything, rolled Poland on a Archipelago. I've heard about it being a top tier civ, and man... they weren't kidding. Being able to select things like patronage or rationalism the moment they became available makes a bigger difference than you think. I finished Tradition extremely fast, went into patronage and got all but one of them. After that Rationalism opened up and the game was pretty much won. At least I thought...

Then Portugal declared war on me. She was the runaway from the start, always 300 point ahead of the number two. One of the human players probably bribed her... Although they denied it. I had almost no defense except for some city state gifts and after two turns all my trade routes were gone. So I thought I was done for.

But then I just started building Frigates and pillaging the tiles of a neighbouring citystate that was Portugals ally. And for some reason, within a couple of turns, I had Lissabon. She was the leader in points, but that was because Lissabon had about 14 wonders. She had no military to speak of. And meanwhile I was the churning out artilery and frigates at a very fast rate.

So, really cool game! The guys wanted to quit (a long human-AI war is really boring for other players). I've saved it so hopefully I can finish it.

Does anybody know if I can finish the game on my own and still get trophies?

Today I had planned to use a straightforward Babylon tech game as an opportunity to practice stealing workers, timing, etc. It almost came to nothing when my starting location was food-poor with limited expansion opportunities, and Caesar (to my SE) swallowed Siam and my neighboring city-states by the time I got my third city (and its caravan to the capital) up and running. I had to bail out of the tech schedule, pump out a ton of composite bows to absorb Caesar's initial rush, and then leverage my tech lead to counterpunch. My initial temptation was to return to the tech victory path when my territory was safe, but it was such poor territory that I wanted to grab some of Caesar's anyway. By the time I started rolling him back, it occurred to me that between reviving Siam and the four(!) city-states he'd conquered, I would have a very nice start on a diplomatic victory. It turned out to be relatively easy, as the other continental powers (Arabia, Spain) squabbled about religion, and my major diplomatic rival (England) fell outside the trading clique and could never close the gap on locked-down city-states.

SaskBoy

Solved my public opinion problem. Wiped the Netherlands off the face of the planet. :D

I captured one of their cities, traded it to the Iroquois for whales, it was almost immediately recaptured by the dutch. So I took it again and razed it to the ground this time. :)

Enco

Holy fuck I HATE the shitty menu music from BNW.

How can I remove it? Fucking infuriating.

edit: also, fuck multiplayer. Crashes. Disconnects. Glitches. Lag. Resetting settings. All of that and 300 turns into a great game and we hit a point where we can no longer continue. Game gets stuck at the end of a turn and that's it. Fucking shit devs

Ogimachi

edit: also, fuck multiplayer. Crashes. Disconnects. Glitches. Lag. Resetting settings. All of that and 300 turns into a great game and we hit a point where we can no longer continue. Game gets stuck at the end of a turn and that's it. Fucking shit devs
It's terrible indeed, my advice is to turn autosave for each turn on, and remember to create Pitboss servers. Why can't you continue, by the way? What is the specific issue?

Enco

That really sucks to hear :( Send them your save game. maybe they can fix it for you!

It's terrible indeed, my advice is to turn autosave for each turn on, and remember to create Pitboss servers. Why can't you continue, by the way? What is the specific issue?
Yea I have autosave turned on frequently because I heard about crap like this.

LUCKILY I had an older autosave that worked. Took a crap load of time to test and reload though. Going back a little bit is worth it instead of ending the game early so I'm lucky in that regard.

Oh and if you value your time and want to play with 2+ people, don't do hybrid or sequential mode. I'm playing with 4 others and we're at war now. It takes 1 hour to have 3 turns.

You have to open the directory of the game version you have, find the 'openingmenuXXXXX.wav' file. You can replace it with whatever as long as you convert the song you want to be in the menu to .wav, and rename it to be the same as the file(XXX being the signifier for version). As always back up the file

Okay, I'm kind of ticked off. Sunk a whole bunch of hours into this Epic/Huge game as Polynesia, going for a cultural victory. I was making great progress, until suddenly my Great Artists only had the option to create a golden age, not to create a new work of art. Come to find out that there's a cap on the amount of unique artworks for each world, and it's really easy to hit it fast with 22 other civilizations pumping 'em out.

It's completely derailed this game - I've been producing great artists that can't do anything at all. I can't trade to get any theme bonuses for my Louvre or Hermitage because I only got 1 piece of art myself, and the game won't let you trade a work of writing (of which I have many) for a different type of work (of which I have almost none).

I'd have to go to war with someone for the sole purpose of stealing their art, just to get some stuff to trade. That seems silly. I'd have to make an educated guess and attack a civ with high culture output, which would also mean betraying someone (I'm friendly with every single civ).

Bah. Welp, sorry Siam. My people apparently just cannot be creative while you continue to exist, it seems. You must die.

Finished up a Domination game as Mongolia. It was a Pangaea map that was unfortunately rather stringy and I spawned on one end of the continent. I conquered Venice with Keshiks before postponing my conquest until artillery, because the rest of the world was behind a chokey piece of land with mountains. Got artillery, went on a conquering spree, and the last civ that I took was appropriately China.

sixghost

So how do you go about shedding the reputation of being a war monger? I've only participated in two short wars through 1650 ad, but every Civ on the map hates me since I took Babylon's capital. It's kind of weird since Rome and Indonesia have been fighting Netherlands for the last 500 years, yet nobody seems to care.

I'm kind of disappointed how little military units the AI seems to build on prince. I really don't want to go to war, but when they maybe have two ships on Large Islands, what else am I going to do.

I'm kind of disappointed how little military units the AI seems to build on prince. I really don't want to go to war, but when they maybe have two ships on Large Islands, what else am I going to do.

Sounds like you're ready to take on the next difficulty level! Believe me, lack of enemy units won't be a problem when you reach the right level for your abilities, let me tell ya.

So how do you go about shedding the reputation of being a war monger? I've only participated in two short wars through 1650 ad, but every Civ on the map hates me since I took Babylon's capital. It's kind of weird since Rome and Indonesia have been fighting Netherlands for the last 500 years, yet nobody seems to care.

Make sure that everybody hates the guy your declaring war on. You can also try and bribe the AIs to going to the war with the guy and then declare war with them.

Geido

You should also always denounce your opponents right before attacking and don't tell them your troops are just performing training missions or whatever. That will make you untrustworthy with other players as well.

Clean warring against an unliked AI is usually no problem for the AI. In my last game everybody started agreeing with me that ghengiz should be taken care of.

DEO3

You have to open the directory of the game version you have, find the 'openingmenuXXXXX.wav' file. You can replace it with whatever as long as you convert the song you want to be in the menu to .wav, and rename it to be the same as the file(XXX being the signifier for version). As always back up the file

I replaced mine with Baba Yetu years ago.

Angst

I picked up Civ Vanilla during the summer sale last year, played it for three hours but didn't really like it. For some reason I got the itch a few weeks ago and now I've sunk lots of hours into it and just bough BNW :)

Is there anything I can do in this situation: Declare friends with Netherlands. Later on down the line he sends a prophet and convert one of my cities. I ask him not to and he says sorry I won't do that anymore.

A while later, I spot a prophet off the shores of my capital. He comes ashore and converts my capital. No option to bitch again, so I denounce the fucker and kill the prophet (WHile I was at it, I also raze a tiny settlement he jammed in between me and the Iroquois).

I'm apparently a backstabber now because I denounced a friend, even though he didn't live up to his promises. No win situation?

(Also, while we were at war I killed like 4 embarked prophets of his and when we made peace I saw another three. Holy crap how could he afford that any?!)

Dylan

You mean Tera Nova? It irks me too, tbh. But I never realized the menu music had changed from G&K or Vanilla. What were they before?

thats why you gotta build up dat army, wait for the DoF to expire, and then throw him into a living hell.
I have to let him convert my cities even thought he promised not to? I get the feeling if positions were reversed I'd get some negative diplomacy from pulling that move.

Esch

Banned
I have to let him convert my cities even thought he promised not to? I get the feeling if positions were reversed I'd get some negative diplomacy from pulling that move.
Pretty much. Not sure if he gets a negative diplo hit from lying about his promise, but yep....

Pretty much. Not sure if he gets a negative diplo hit from lying about his promise, but yep....
Aww man, that's craaaaaaaaap.

There's a negative diplomatic hit for denouncing a friend, right? Seems crap since they can do the reverse. Aldo if they start warmongering or something I don't see why I should sit on the sidelines in silent support.

Aww man, that's craaaaaaaaap.

There's a negative diplomatic hit for denouncing a friend, right? Seems crap since they can do the reverse. Aldo if they start warmongering or something I don't see why I should sit on the sidelines in silent support.

See, I consider myself to be a pacifist at heart; I always start out trying to go for a cultural or diplomatic victory. And then things like this happen, and then everyone has to die. I've completely rebelled against the diplomacy model at this point. I'm still going for a cultural victory, but this time I'm playing as Montezuma, and I've got to get my sacrificial captives from somewhere.

Top Bottom