• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V is a bad game with addictive gameplay.

WARNING: Long post.

I'm not normally one to go out of my way to shove my personal opinion down other people's throats. In fact, I refrain from making many a thread or posting a reply because I often accept the possibility that I may not know much about the topic at hand, but I've had this idea stewing in my head for a while now and I think the idea of bad games that have addictive gameplay is an interesting one.

In this thread, I will be arguing my thread title. I know its pretty damning to just straight up call a blockbuster megahit in an established franchise bad, but as an avid civplayer (774 hours played according to steam), and formerly one of the best Civilization 5 players in the world, I can assure you my decision to classify civ 5 a bad game is not one I took lightly.

First, why is civ 5 addictive? Civ 5, at it's very core, is a game of getting more crap. You have these incomes: culture, gold, science, food, and hammers, and everything you build gets you more of one of these things. Each of these incomes is in turn used to get more crap which gets your incomes even higher: culture to get you social policies, gold to buy buildings (research agreements in SP), food to get you science, science to get you higher tile yields and new buildings. You are always getting something every turn; A building, a tech, a social policy, a population point, a great person. Every single one of these things is like a mini-high. It feels good to get it. It feels good to have more crap on the demographics screen. You never really lose anything in civ 5. Your opponents can only take away your cities with military (more on that later). I mean, one of the most interesting things about the civ 5 community is the fact that even SPer's acknowledge the numerous flaws in the game, but still readily shell out dollars for DLC. Really, civ 5 is at its core addictive because of this process of always feeling like you're getting more.

Of course, that alone doesn't justify my thesis. I have to demonstrate that civ5 has bad gameplay. Ultimately, this is tantamount to a criticism of two things: How production works and the combat system. Before I get too deep into that though I want to ask you to consider games like chess, Dota 2, MTG, and Street Fighter. Yes, not at all similar on the outside I agree, but at their core there is something "awesome" about their gameplay. In all these games, everything you do interacts with your enemy in some significant way. In all these games there is risk and reward. There's a whole lot going on in these games at the highest level. That's not true in civ 5 for one main reason. A large proportion of your actions merely cancel out what the opponent has done. You are going to get a lot of the same things as your enemy. The same social policies, the same units, the same buildings, the same techs. Winning games is about acquiring strategic advantages. When you have all the same stuff, where was the value of getting it in the first place? (from a game design point of view)

Okay new paragraph so I can continue on about production and the combat system. What I'm going to do now is talk a bit about the multiplayer metagame, which, incidentally, is also an indictment of the lack of thought the developers put into game balance. When the game first came out, Multiplayer was played primarily by the former civ 4 competitive MP community, however, a lot of people had already jumped ship to league of legends, so there weren't that many of us. A couple players were very dominant in the metagame and various game modes. At the time, there was Mr.Gametheory (MGT), Elrad, and myself, who were each good in different game modes that were played at the competitive level. I'm going to focus on the exploits of MGT here as he has been dominant in the metagames of several civ titles (#1 civ5 player overall and duel, #1 civ rev player on xbox live rankings, One of the top players in civ 4). His strongest suit was the duel. The 1v1. Mono E mono. He had quickly discovered that france was the best civ in the game and that it actually cost less hammers to build a city than to conquer one. His strategy involved building two workers, taking the liberty social policy, and coating the map in settlers, planting on luxury resources. (There is a bit more to this but I don't want to ramble). This strategy was nigh unbeatable. This of course underscores the first egregious flaw in civ 5's game design at the time. It is cheaper to expand, than to conquer. This isn't true in any other game. Macro builds are ALWAYS supposed to carry risk. In starcraft 2, a rush can kill a fast expand. In MOBA'S champs that get gold per 5 items or Hand of midas are weaker than champs that go straight for items. Take 2, in all their brilliance, decided to patch this issue by increasing plant distance between cities, making cities produce less, and increasing unhappiness penalties for new cities. Oh, they also strengthened cities making them harder to conquer and nerfed horsemen because the single players were exploiting the a.i. too well with them. They didn't fix the CORE issue of a simple inequality that needs to be true for a game to be strategic. Cost to macro must be higher than the cost to invest in DPS and win. There needs to be the risk and reward.

That wasn't the only issue. MGT recently decided to reenter and found a new way to break the game. Spam archers. You see, another problem with this game that has to do with lazy programming is the fact that a ranged unit has a damage floor of one (all units have 10hp). In other words, if you just spam archers, sure they are weak, but they are cheap, and you can pump out DPS much more cost efficiently than any other unit in the game ATM (save for maybe the artillery, but then again thats what the teamer metagame converges too anyway).

In all honesty, I could go on forever about the terrible combat system in civ5 since I observed the meta for over a year now (no seriously). Suffice it to say though I just thought that there was a really interesting concept here: That a game could have very little to offer in terms of strategic depth (there is a little bit in the form of tech pathing, but I digress) but still be fun as hell. This of course takes me back to the thread title.

Civilzation V is a bad game with addictive gameplay.

(rereading my post preview, there is certainly a lot I left out, and perhaps my arguments are a bit garbled,[I blame the rum and Dr.Pepper] but believe me, there is a lot of criticism I have left out here and if anyone is interested I'll fill you in)

LuchaShaq

Banned
I love civ 4 and 5, but honestly unless I had archers destroying tanks left and right I could not give less of a shit about balance in civ.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I always thought it was good, but with 774 hours logged on your account, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The game has a lot of user interface flaws that are really annoying and would be very easy to fix. Examples:
1. Setup up game defaults to shitty settings, and there's no way to set defaults for future games.
2. Cannot stack non-military units. Why can't a worker unit, a general, a scientist, and a space unit stack in a city? What's more is that late game when you tend to build space units, fucking workers will go to your capital and fucking block space units built from other cities going to your capital AND it takes a turn to disable automation so you can move the worker. Fucking lazy as fuck.
3. Oil never renders on water with my AMD video cards.
4. Diplomacy trade doesn't exist. Only "brah, help me out by giving me all of your shit".

Then there's performance issues:
1. City states rape performance. I always disable all city states so the game is playable.
2. Even then, late game is slow.

And France and the Aztecs personality is bipolar as fuck. One turn Montezuma will be afraid and the next war. One turn with Napolean you're at war, the next he's friendly and wants to start an alliance.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yes but thats exactly my point. We don't give a shit about balance because the game is addictive.

I don't think an unbalanced game is bad unless it affects my enjoyment, I have never even noticed it.

If Skyrim wiped all the saves on my 360 if I ate 45 cabbages in a row would it make it a bad game? No because I would never notice or give the slightest of shits.

The game has a lot of user interface flaws that are really annoying and would be very easy to fix. Examples:
1. Setup up game defaults to shitty settings, and there's no way to set defaults for future games.
2. Cannot stack non-military units. Why can't a worker unit, a general, a scientist, and a space unit stack in a city? What's more is that late game when you tend to build space units, fucking workers will go to your capital and fucking block space units built from other cities going to your capital AND it takes a turn to disable automation so you can move the worker. Fucking lazy as fuck.
3. Oil never renders on water with my AMD video cards.
4. Diplomacy trade doesn't exist. Only "brah, help me out by giving me all of your shit".

Then there's performance issues:
1. City states rape performance. I always disable all city states so the game is playable.
2. Even then, late game is slow.

Yeah, I wanted to stay from these issues so that I could demonstrate that it was flawed at its very core. Words can't describe the agony of MP connectivity when the game first came out.

teh_pwn

Yeah, I wanted to stay from these issues so that I could demonstrate that it was flawed at its very core. Words can't describe the agony of MP connectivity when the game first came out.

It's also fundamentally imbalanced. You can start a game between 3 aggressive civs and get raped, and then the next game as Isabella start with the fountain of youth closeby (+20 happiness, which is basically cheating).

Catherine's bonus almost always seems too strong. You can build military units, wonders, and basic infrastructure much too quickly.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I actually feel like the problems with Civ 5 prevent me from having any addiction to it at all. I have 265 hours logged, which might sound like alot to some people, but I've had the game since launch day and a lot of my time spent on other games eclipse it easily. I'm pretty surprised myself at how little time I've spent with the game, but then I'll randomly decide to load it up and immediately be reminded of why.

Loofy

Every time I play a civ game its dejavu all over again. It plays exactly the same with each new game with a few minor gameplay changes.
Yet I still play them. Even played the heck out of Civ Rev. I just dont know why.

It's also fundamentally imbalanced. You can start a game between 3 aggressive civs and get raped, and then the next game as Isabella start with the fountain of youth closeby (+20 happiness, which is basically cheating).

Catherine's bonus almost always seems too strong. You can build military units, wonders, and basic infrastructure much too quickly.

Russia has always been a top pick to round out a team in competitive civ. You would never take it first per se, but its always nice to have as a third, sometimes second pick so that you always had the production to pad out a nice early game military.

I never feel like i'm playing against actual calculating, intelligent leaders - just dumb ai.

Playing on king difficulty, I went to war with arabia with only 2000 gold in the bank and an income of 60, and Al rashid had 300,000 gold and 700 income.
I took a couple of his cities and destroyed his frontline troops, but instead of spending his money and wiping me out he just kept asking for a peace treaty.

teh_pwn

I never feel like i'm playing against actual calculating, intelligent leaders - just dumb ai.

Playing on king difficulty, I went to war with arabia with only 2000 gold in the bank and an income of 60, and Al rashid had 300,000 gold and 700 income.
I took a couple of his cities and destroyed his frontline troops, but instead of spending his money and wiping me out he just kept asking for a peace treaty.

Yeah, the AI is really dumb. An easy way to get gold early game is just to declare war as soon as you meet them. They'll ask for peace x number of turns later and give you something like 80 gold and +5 GPT. LOL

I repeat this for weak civs that denounce me, which is another annoyance.

Aggressive civs early game will put a scout near one of your cities several turns before it declares war. If I see this or I see their mob of units approaching my cities, I just declare war. Seems to screw up it's planned attack when you do this even if you don't have many units.

I haven't played post-patching, but CivV was one of the most disappointing games I've played in a long time. No animation in multiplayer sort of left me dumbstruck.

I haven't played post-patching, but CivV was one of the most disappointing games I've played in a long time. No animation in multiplayer sort of left me dumbstruck.

Its kind of ridiculous to think that the game had actually lost functionality with respect to its predecessor.

Zoator

Animation in multiplayer could literally destroy online games in Civ 4. In large scale battles, if one player had combat animations enabled, all players would be forced to wait for that player to watch all of the animations, which could really, really draw out the game. Invariably whenever that happened in a Civ 4 game, the other players in the game would harass the player with animations on until they shut it off. IMO, completely disabling animations from Civ 5 multiplayer was one of the best things they could have done for online play.

Kalnos

Banned
Animation in multiplayer could literally destroy online games in Civ 4. In large scale battles, if one player had combat animations enabled, all players would be forced to wait for that player to watch all of the animations, which could really, really draw out the game. Invariably whenever that happened in a Civ 4 game, the other players in the game would harass the player with animations on until they shut it off. IMO, completely disabling animations from Civ 5 multiplayer was one of the best things they could have done for online play.

This is why it should be an option and they can leave it toggled off by default.

The combat improvements (IMO) make it hard for me to go back to Civ IV. I will wait until the expansion/future patches and hope it gets better in other areas.

Actually when I say my peace about Civ V I also emphasize that the biggest problem with it(other than the AI and technical issues when it first came out) was that, in comparison with the mighty Civ 4, it is a game where you make tons and tons of insignificant strategic decisions, versus a smaller amount of major strategic decisions in Civ 4. Sid Meier will talk about this, about how the player should always be making huge, consequential decisions, and that's what the Great People mechanic services so well, and in some ways the largely successful CivRev is this concept distilled even further. But Civ 5 mitigates most of the success of Civ 4's design by being about incremental improvement. Making it - as you say - addictive, but less satisfying and compelling.

I like the hexes and combat mechanics though.

Johann

It's hard to be addicted to the game when I have immortal/deity level Civ IV: BTS next to Civ V in Steam.

Say what you will about the stack of doom but it was a lot less micromanagement to move groups of troops around. I'm spending half the time in each Civ 5 turn just moving units around or clearing out road blocks. If you're going to do one-unit-per-tile then the maps have to be much bigger.

inky

This is how I feel about most Blizzard games.

Diablo 3 came to mind. WoW was too long ago for me to remember if it was genuine gameplay fun, or just fooling around with friends.

As for Civ V, yeah, I liked it a lot less than IV, but for some reason I can't go back to that one, feels dated in some way. Never was much of a huge Civ fan myself, but with V I usually get conflicting feelings like: OK, 1 more turn + Why am I still playing this when I'm not enjoying it anymore. I guess my favourite part are scenarios, but V was severely lacking on those.

Owzers

I need to try out Civ 5 more, i put a good amount of time into Civ 4 and loved/hated it, meaning i'd start a game, play for a bit, then quit because i got bored. All the fun i had from Civ 4 took place in the first half hour/hour. Everything after that got too annoying.

linko9

Well, I certainly enjoyed the game, but it doesn't come close to Civ 3 for me. That's the pinnacle of the series IMO. Of course, I didn't put anywhere near 700 hours into any of the games, so who am I to say :D

Ploid 3.0

This thread was made for me. I was about to get Civ V on amazon, I saw the bad reviews then started searching around for what happened. Since I really liked Civ 4 and Shogun 2 I was going to grab it. I remember watching the live Civ V gameplay demonstrations by the devs before the game was out. They made it sound very good.

teh_pwn

It's hard to be addicted to the game when I have immortal/deity level Civ IV: BTS next to Civ V in Steam.

Say what you will about the stack of doom but it was a lot less micromanagement to move groups of troops around. I'm spending half the time in each Civ 5 turn just moving units around or clearing out road blocks. If you're going to do one-unit-per-tile then the maps have to be much bigger.

Yep, I prefer the stack. If 20 million people can live on a city tile, then surely a scientist, a worker, a tank, and infantry can. It also made nukes more interesting didn't it? I can't remember if a nuke could take out a stack of doom.

But like the OP says it's addictive. I only play now when I want to try ways to fuck with the AI.

Sibylus

Banned
Yes but thats exactly my point. We don't give a shit about balance because the game is addictive.
All the Civ games I've played have hooked me in some fashion or another, but I definitely care about game balance. Each game has had something that grated me about the combat or the game in general. Stacks are the prime example, I fucking hate stacks. They just slowly but surely squeezed the enjoyment out of the combat for me the longer any given game went on. Civ V's combat, faults aside, irreparably ruined the previous games' combat systems to the extent that I become increasingly frustrated going back. No game in the series is yet immaculate for me, there are numerous problems I have with each of them. They're still games I deeply enjoy because they're so compelling despite having so many rough edges.

See, I'm not a hardcore Civ player at all. I play probably less than 10 full games total per release. Most of the issues seem to be more on the high-end and multi-player centric.

I don't think I've ever played Civ against anything but the computer. How big is the audience for Civ multiplayer where balance becomes important?

Not that it should be ignored.

I know its pretty damning to just straight up call a blockbuster megahit in an established franchise bad

Not really, the majority of Civ fans consider Civ V to be garbage, and rightly so. It's the most watered down, board-game like of the Civ games. The game sold poorly in comparison to the past Civ games too IIRC.

See, I'm not a hardcore Civ player at all. I play probably less than 10 full games total per release. Most of the issues seem to be more on the high-end and multi-player centric.

I don't think I've ever played Civ against anything but the computer. How big is the audience for Civ multiplayer where balance becomes important?

Not that it should be ignored.

The audience for civ 5 multiplayer is very small. To be fair it never had a big community if you look at the ratio of Spers to MPers, however, in civ 5, I think the ratio is more skewed towards SP than in civ 4 or possibly even civ 3.

I was expecting this thread to be complaints about the basic idea of turn based strategy games and instead I find people complaining about professional level metagame problems.

Fascinating.

Lothars

I think it's insane to say that Civilization V is a bad game, I disagree that it is but I think it's even more insane that some are saying that Blizzard games are bad games, they are allowed to think that way even though they are wrong.

Aselith

I think it's insane to say that Civilization V is a bad game, I disagree that it is but I think it's even more insane that some are saying that Blizzard games are bad games, they are allowed to think that way even though they are wrong.

It is for sure. OP is not seeing the forest for the trees here. He's looking at Civ 4 one of the greatest 4X games ever and saying this is shit in comparison BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE THING HE WANTS IT TO BE. He's not alone but I hate stacks so I greatly prefer the combat in 5. It's a very good game and hasn't had all the time in the oven that Civ 4 did. BTS Civ 4 is miles beyond Vanilla. Wait at least one expansion before calling it shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never really did go deep into Civ 4 or 5, but it's interesting reading the perspective of one of the (admittedly self proclaimed) best players dissecting the flaws of 5.

Just because Civ in general doesn't cater to the 'hardcore' competitive community, doesn't mean it's a bad game, dude. Not all games are supposed to do all things.

What you are basically saying is that all games are supposed to do exactly one thing to be considered good, which is cater to the needs of super competitive gamers and everything must be "balanced" (which often means boring). Better throw away your copy of Baldur's Gate 2 or Skyrim, because they have some of the shittiest game balance this side of Civ 5!

This is how I feel about most Blizzard games.
If you go by his criteria, Starcraft is the greatest game ever made. Of course, it is the greatest even if you ignore his criteria :p

The OPs points seem good so props to him.
The reality for me is that I've poured hundreds of hours into both Civ 3 and Civ 4, while with Civ 5 I've barely played 10.

Bought it Day 1 too and was just turned off by it. Went back after 8 months of patches and while it seemed better, it still didn't click.

It is for sure. OP is not seeing the forest for the trees here. He's looking at Civ 4 one of the greatest 4X games ever and saying this is shit in comparison BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE THING HE WANTS IT TO BE. He's not alone but I hate stacks so I greatly prefer the combat in 5. It's a very good game and hasn't had all the time in the oven that Civ 4 did. BTS Civ 4 is miles beyond Vanilla. Wait at least one expansion before calling it shit.

I bolded the untrue. As I said earlier in the post, I could ramble on forever but about the flaws in the combat system, so let me point out some of the other flaws.

German pikemen spam - After nerfing ICS germany became one of the most powerful civs in MP. All you had to do was get civil, spam out 4-5 cities, set all cities to produce pikemen, and right click your opponents land. For every one 11 strength unit your opponent could produce, you could produce two 10 strength units.

English Longbowman - After a ban system had been implemented to rid the meta of germany, it became the case that the Longbowman's range of 3 was absolutely broken. You had a unit that could effectively kite in a TBS. And that was only if you were incompetent. If you charged forward with a meat shield you could destroy pretty much anything.

Artillery - Artillery is the modern era unit that also has a range of 3. Granted both sides could build it, but the problem was that the metagame eventually became centered on this unit. So much so that every city had to have a university and garden up so it could shit out great scientists. You would mass up all you great scientists, and when you were n techs away from dynamite, where n is the number of free techs you had, you would immediately acquire dynamite. In teamers this had the crazy effect of turn 90 modern eras since people had oxford, liberty finisher great person, and 1-2 GS. I've been in a game where I had my team get 12 technologies in one turn for artillery.

To comment a bit more about the combat system though, I didn't like stacks. To me the game is supposed to be about strategic placement of units, like a chess match. The problem is 1upt has kind of the opposite effect. Players learnt to build so many units, you kind of just spread across the map as an amorphous blob when you attacked. Any strategy was for the most part, pretty basic, as in, be on hills and in forests. Also the flanking bonus kind of reenforced this blob like movement. You want all your units to be near a single area.

The "fix" to the stack of doom in civ 4 was not 1upt. All they had to do was add some kind of disadvantage to putting units in huge stacks. Make ranged units hit every single unit on a tile it attacks. That right there could fix the problem. If an entire stack of units could be killed by 3 or 4 archers, you wouldn't stack them all would you? But you still might want to stack some to prevent units from being picked off by whatever gets a bonus against them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OP you seem like a very skilled player, based on your criticisms and your comparisons with other games with high skill ceilings. I haven't really spent any time with Civ 5 but it sounds like you've identified some pretty clear problems with it. I know Tom Chick made a similar kind of argument about the game a little while ago (that it's actually a bad game, but no one noticed because the core thing brings you back again and again).

Have you ever tried Hearts of Iron or Europe Universalis?

I really wish the nuke was as big of a deal in Civ as it is in real life. By getting ICBMs you should be nigh impossible to attack unless your opponent has SDI because of MAD. Also the diplomacy is still worse in V than in BtS somefuckinghow

I can't play V without mods and even then it's still not as good as BtS

OP you seem like a very skilled player, based on your criticisms and your comparisons with other games with high skill ceilings. I haven't really spent any time with Civ 5 but it sounds like you've identified some pretty clear problems with it. I know Tom Chick made a similar kind of argument about the game a little while ago (that it's actually a bad game, but no one noticed because the core thing brings you back again and again).

Have you ever tried Hearts of Iron or Europe Universalis?

Nope, neither of those game. Granted I've had lots of people recommend me hearts of iron, I got hooked on League of Legends, and now I feel myself drifting towards Dota 2.

Hari Seldon

If you want balance go play Starcraft or something. I don't want balance, I want fun. It isn't fun to have every unit perfectly balanced and every Civ perfectly balanced. That is only something that high level elite players want. A waste of resources for the developer to even bother with.

Also you put 700+ hours into the game and are calling it bad? If I had 700 hours of BJs from Sasha Grey I would get sick of that shit too. Your real conclusion should be that the game is not deep enough to warrant competitive play. Not that it is "bad". It is fun as hell for at least 100 or so hours, which is more than 99.9% of games.

If you want balance go play Starcraft or something. I don't want balance, I want fun. It isn't fun to have every unit perfectly balanced and every Civ perfectly balanced. That is only something that high level elite players want. A waste of resources for the developer to even bother with.

Also you put 700+ hours into the game and are calling it bad? If I had 700 hours of BJs from Sasha Grey I would get sick of that shit too. Your real conclusion should be that the game is not deep enough to warrant competitive play. Not that it is "bad". It is fun as hell for at least 100 or so hours, which is more than 99.9% of games.

I don't agree with your assertion that fun and balance are mutually exclusive.

If archers were not so prolific and could miss or civs that expand more quickly were more vulnerable to attack, would that make the game less fun? I dont think so.

Hari Seldon

I don't agree with your assertion that fun and balance are mutually exclusive.

If archers were not so prolific and could miss or civs that expand more quickly were more vulnerable to attack, would that make the game less fun? I dont think so.

I agree that Civ 5 has its problems. The main problem is that they intended to make a balanced game and failed. But they are not really apparent until you put a lot of really fun hours into the game (except for the Multiplayer performance issues).

But I think there is too much strive towards balance. I would rather strategy games simply abandon the idea of balance and focus on only fun. Why give every Civ the advantage of even having archers? Why not make Rome way overpowered on purpose and make the Polynesians really weak on purpose? This provides more interesting gameplay imo.

Aselith

You're talking about balance problems, Earthstrike. This is a brand new combat system in the first game designed from the ground up for multiplayer there's bound to be problems as they move the series into 1upt.

Again, you're comparing this game to a game with years and years of patches and expansions. They'll keep patching Civ V and it'll get better. Balance problems don't mean the core game is garbage. 1upt can and has worked in games with combat better than any Civ.

Wait until Gods and Kings at least to write the game off.

Top Bottom