• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEra - Every First Party Xbox Game Will Launch Day One on Game Pass - Sarah Bond

Chukhopops

The question will be: will the 78% move their preferred platform if they get their base CoD for "free" on GP? Xbox or PC. Or will MS just lose some money on those less than 10% and the rest will move along as though nothing had happened?
I doubt anyone is going to switch platforms and pay a sub just to avoid buying one game that they buy every year anyway, especially when marketing rights remain on the Sony side this year.

Pop

Xbox division has shown they dont like money. Wouldn't surprise me if COD is on there day 1

Klayzer

I guess this means Nadella and the bean counters are confident that Game Pass is doing well enough to sustain itself, contrary to the handwringers on neogaf.
JuMSbF3.gif

Audiophile

COD on Game Pass makes little sense unless you already have Xbox and Game Pass. Most people playing COD (Multiplayer) will be doing so for longer than 4mths which then outweighs the cost of buying it outright (and if it's physical you can sell it when you're done too). Warzone is already free and I don't think Single Player has been enough of a draw since 2019. At best it's a small value add for the plan, but I doubt it'd move the needle enough. If you're on PC or PS5 there's basically no reason to move over to Xbox for COD.

The reason to move over remains big, high quality exclusive titles. And when it comes to reasons to sub to GP, I think they're all there already, it's just not enough of a draw to make it truly sustainable in the long term.

Game Pass should have been a smaller, modular add-on to Xbox Live from which you can play XB/X360/X1 titles + select new titles kinda like PS Plus. All they've done is devalued their games by programming the average Xbox player to expect everything on the cheap. Now there's no going back without backlash, they're just backing into a corner constantly..

I think Xbox needs a completely fresh start with a new team, they need to rip the band aid off and model everything on how they can move forward in an optimal way, rather than by trying to make it work with their hands tied behind their back. They're just gonna mosey on in a state of mediocrity otherwise.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I guess this means Nadella and the bean counters are confident that Game Pass is doing well enough to sustain itself, contrary to the handwringers on neogaf.

You are absolutely delusional. GamePass has stagnated and sees no growth. They are shutting down companies left and right as Indies also leave the service because they can’t earn much revenue/profit at all. Funding is drying up and you still want to think this is sustainable?

Nadella and the bean counters continue to show they have zero knowledge in the industry and their continued and ever increasing failures have long since been a joke.

digdug2

This is so incredibly fucking stupid. How is one of the richest companies on Earth filled with morons? They have shuttered how many great studios recently because their games aren't making revenue, and now they're doubling down? Don't make 1st party games available on GP day one. Simple.

Your model sucks, and so does your logic, MS. "We have 1 person in the GP Ultimate ecosystem at $17 per month each and charge nothing extra for each game and drop it on GP day one."

First and foremost, you should release some fucking worthwhile games. Then when you have some decent games in the pipeline, you charge $56 for agame with a 20% GP subscriber discount and then put it on GP 2-3 months later while the game is still relatively fresh. Now you're still making money on GP subscriptions and you're selling copies of your game. You will probably have customers buying 3-4 games per year while still keeping GamePass for the other games that they want to play but don't want to plunk down extra $$ for on day one.

Last edited:
This doesn't necessarily end the debate.

She never explicitly said that COD games would launch on Game Pass day one.

They could also have a very extended (30 days or more) early access period, only available for buyers, not available on Game Pass. They could introduce a new, more expensive ($30 or more) tier that has Activision games.

There are a lot of things that are still intentionally vague.
You guys are the worst 🤦🏾

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Interesting if they still do. Explore a scenario where gamepass alone isn't enough, perhaps the plan is to still release xbox hardware with gamepass as the hook, while going multiplatform at the same time.
They could even do all new games on gamepass, 6 month exclusive, and then out on other platforms and that might entice some people to buy xboxes (not at the same rate of course, but they might not care as much...... ) along with increasing software sales overall.

This doesn't necessarily end the debate.

She never explicitly said that COD games would launch on Game Pass day one.

They could also have a very extended (30 days or more) early access period, only available for buyers, not available on Game Pass. They could introduce a new, more expensive ($30 or more) tier that has Activision games.

There are a lot of things that are still intentionally vague.
"More importantly you get EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE GAMES WE BUILD DAY ONE"

COD is a game they build + All the games they build will be on gamepass day one = COD will be on gamepass day one

So the opposite is true. Microsoft never tell the truth. To even work for them, you need to be trained in the art of lying whilst getting people to believe your speaking the truth. Just look at their previous statements. All bullshit.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I thought the AB deal was that CoD was the only thing to keep away from the GamePass on day one

Tfault

So the opposite is true. Microsoft never tell the truth. To even work for them, you need to be trained in the art of lying whilst getting people to believe your speaking the truth. Just look at their previous statements. All bullshit.

Let's say Microsoft have mastered the art of Double Speak:

Indeed, most doublespeak is the product of clear thinking and is language carefully designed and constructed to appear to communicate when in fact it doesn't.

Top Bottom