• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson's Farm is drawing the ire of his neighbours

Bragr

Banned
I am watching Clarkson's Farm and came across this news.

Townsfolk in the vicinity of his farm is angry at his "Diddly Squat Farm Shop", which is attracting tons of tourists, which they claim is ruining the village. Some redneck villagers have in turn lashed out at workers on his farm, and some of Clarkson's farmhands have started wearing body cameras as a precaution against abuse. THEN, online fanboys have started attacking people living in the little village, with death threats and abuse at anyone who is critical of his show and what it's doing to the local area.

Now, this reminds me of two other big reality shows, Deadliest Catch, and Gold Rush.

The Deadliest Catch show is notorious for fucking up the crab fishing industry in the Bearing Sea area, where the captains on the show get huge quotas and favors, making the normal captains fucking furious.

And at Gold Rush, the TV show has repeatedly started big mines around small local villages, pulling in huge vehicles and pollution and noise, angering everyone who lives there. At one point in the show, some local guys shot at some crew members.

How do you feel about all this? is Clarkson disrespectful to his town?

---

https://news.sky.com/story/workers-...y-cameras-after-abuse-from-villagers-12834792

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-shop-say-attracting-hordes-petrolheads.html

Tams

I mean, Clarkson has always been abrasive and has pushed things. And for Clarkson's Farm he did push things quite a bit.

But on the other hand, he has his farm in one of the NIMBYist places in the UK, or even in the World.

Neither side seem that willing to come to a compromise and both seem very firmly set in their positions now. And each blow just makes the other side want to and to strike back equally or harder. A spiral of antagonisation.

I will say that from the show, what I've read in the media, and seeing some of the official documentation; that it is the complaining locals/NIMBYs who seem to be being less flexible and more entrenched. Clarkson very much could have had a restaurant that I'm sure he'd have been happy enough with, if they'd just been willing to compromise instead of antagonising. Instead they fucking put down a mile+ of traffic cones, etc. Fucking bonkers.

Last edited:
I think I would rather enjoy being a xenophobic English villager. But alas that's not the life I was born into so Team Clarkson all the way!

TTOOLL

Love the show! It’s a shame it’ll end someday because I could watch it forever.

Concerning his some of his neighbors, fuck them, they are just jealous.

That little village could make good money from tourists, but instead, some people just decide to wage a war on social media.

I doubt they want or need to make money from tourists. What they can probably do without are hundreds of cars queueing up to visit Clarkson's shop and fucking up all the roads

44566967-0-image-a-25_1624429191012.jpg

Clarkson himself is said to be sympathetic but you really can't allow for the special type of moron that wants to travel hundreds of miles to visit a shop just because they saw it on TV. These people are going to be horrible vapid cunts by their very nature and therefore having hundreds of them scattered around your small village getting in the way and being stupid, is not an ideal situation.

winjer

Gold Member
I doubt they want or need to make money from tourists. What they can probably do without are hundreds of cars queueing up to visit Clarkson's shop and fucking up all the roads

Clarkson himself is said to be sympathetic but you really can't allow for the special type of moron that wants to travel hundreds of miles to visit a shop just because they saw it on TV. These people are going to be horrible vapid cunts by their very nature and therefore having hundreds of them scattered around your small village getting in the way and being stupid, is not an ideal situation.

If they had approved his parking lot, all these cars would not be in the road.
And those tourists would be spending money, buying local products.

MilkyJoe

Anyone close to rural areas in the uk know how fucking psychotic the locals can be about every little thing. I've had a cunt once try to block me from using a footpath because "you don't look local"

When i moved to wear I do now, before residents parking was introduced, you had to park where you could. The pricks think they own the parking outside their house! On one occasion parking on another street, i returned the next morning with CUNT scratched into the bonnet, and on another someone had thrown a bag of sugar over my car!!! Vandalism over a legally parked car! :confused:

Tams

While that is annoying, don't give the NIMBY cunts of Chadlington leeway.

What they really need is something like a park and ride. Plenty of people would still come. But going by the attitudes and actions of the NIMBYs, they wouldn't even put up with that (their cones obstructed even the local bus).

And just to be clear, the NIMBYs are always a minority. It's just they are the ones most invested in getting local power and have the time to do so.

Facism

When i moved to wear I do now, before residents parking was introduced, you had to park where you could. The pricks think they own the parking outside their house! On one occasion parking on another street, i returned the next morning with CUNT scratched into the bonnet, and on another someone had thrown a bag of sugar over my car!!! Vandalism over a legally parked car! :confused:

I've had my car reported as abandoned and then towed away within an hour of LEGALLY parking on the road outside someone's cottage. Cost me to get it back and the police weren't interested that it was a malicious report. Should have taken the valve-cores from that cunt's cars in response.

Amory

I see both sides. From Clarkson's perspective I think he'd much rather not be disturbing anyone, but the red tape the town has put in place has forced him to find alternative paths and loopholes to keep his shit up and running. They wouldn't let him build a parking lot, so cars park on the road.

From the town's perspective, they understandably don't want these tourist assholes invading their village causing traffic, noise, litter, property damage etc. The town isn't equipped to handle a huge influx of mouth breathing fans of a TV show. And remember, the town residents are largely farmers with enough shit to deal with as it is without a local celebrity making it harder for them.

StueyDuck

He's shining a light on the bs govt intervention with everything farming.

Anyone annoyed by that who themselves are being impacted by these things seem a bit dim

Tams

I see both sides. From Clarkson's perspective I think he'd much rather not be disturbing anyone, but the red tape the town has put in place has forced him to find alternative paths and loopholes to keep his shit up and running. They wouldn't let him build a parking lot, so cars park on the road.

From the town's perspective, they understandably don't want these tourist assholes invading their village causing traffic, noise, litter, property damage etc. The town isn't equipped to handle a huge influx of mouth breathing fans of a TV show. And remember, the town residents are largely farmers with enough shit to deal with as it is without a local celebrity making it harder for them.

Most of the local farmers seem fine with him, welcoming of his presence even. Only really the ones who had to deal with his loose cattle seemed to (very understandably) care.

The people complaining were not farmers.

Amory

Most of the local farmers seem fine with him, welcoming of his presence even. Only really the ones who had to deal with his loose cattle seemed to (very understandably) care.

The people complaining were not farmers.
I don't think you can say that all of the people complaining are not farmers. It's a farming community, so most of the residents are going to have some affiliation with farmers whether they personally farm themselves.

Clarkson's restaurant and farm shop has definitely helped some local farmers but we don't really know what percentage has benefitted. If you're a farmer that isn't part of his co-op, you're left to deal with the tourists and the nuisances with no benefit.

Tams

I don't think you can say that all of the people complaining are not farmers. It's a farming community, so most of the residents are going to have some affiliation with farmers whether they personally farm themselves.

Clarkson's restaurant and farm shop has definitely helped some local farmers but we don't really know what percentage has benefitted. If you're a farmer that isn't part of his co-op, you're left to deal with the tourists and the nuisances with no benefit.

Yet it wasn't farmers who were officially objecting and blocking his ventures.

And I don't think those complaining actually do know much about the farmers in their communities.

I've lived in rural Britain in farming communities. There are plenty of people who live there have nothing to do with farming and have no inkling about it. They tend to have romantic ideas of what the farmers do. The NIMBYs in this show are the type I could spot immediately, as I've had to deal with people just like them. And often enough, they aren't 'local' for whatever that's worth. Many are near or at retirement and just want the entire place to be theirs to relax in. In my town, they got speed limit put on the entire local lake despite businesses pleading with them not to.

Amory

Yet it wasn't farmers who were officially objecting and blocking his ventures.

And I don't think those complaining actually do know much about the farmers in their communities.

I've lived in rural Britain in farming communities. There are plenty of people who live there have nothing to do with farming and have no inkling about it. They tend to have romantic ideas of what the farmers do. The NIMBYs in this show are the type I could spot immediately, as I've had to deal with people just like them. And often enough, they aren't 'local' for whatever that's worth. Many are near or at retirement and just want the entire place to be theirs to relax in. In my town, they got speed limit put on the entire local lake despite businesses pleading with them not to.
Fair enough. I guess it's different than in the states, where farmland isn't much of a retirement destination or a magnet for outsiders

Tams

Fair enough. I guess it's different than in the states, where farmland isn't much of a retirement destination or a magnet for outsiders
It's more of a class thing, that you in the States really don't have to the same degree. It permeates into all parts of British life.

We also are very densely populated, so different people end up living in the same area for various reasons.

Last edited:

DKehoe

The Cotswolds is particularly known as a place that rich people move to, either to have a second home there or to retire to.

Fbh

That little village could make good money from tourists, but instead, some people just decide to wage a war on social media.

I might be wrong but I think the people complaining are primarily older retired folk or people with money that don't really give a crap about the village making money or how it could help local businesses. They just want that peaceful and quiet small town life and this whole Clarkson farm thing is disturbing that.

To an extent I guess I can understand why they are upset, but I still think Clarkson should absolutely be allowed to have his shop and restaurant. He has also legitimately tried to do things to help but everything he propposes gets denied.
Season 2 of Clarksons farms really made it seems like opening a business in the UK is nearly impossible, at least on the countryside. Though of course it might have been showing it from a biased perspective.

winjer

Gold Member
I might be wrong but I think the people complaining are primarily older retired folk or people with money that don't really give a crap about the village making money or how it could help local businesses. They just want that peaceful and quiet small town life and this whole Clarkson farm thing is disturbing that.

To an extent I guess I can understand why they are upset, but I still think Clarkson should absolutely be allowed to have his shop and restaurant. He has also legitimately tried to do things to help but everything he propposes gets denied.
Season 2 of Clarksons farms really made it seems like opening a business in the UK is nearly impossible, at least on the countryside. Though of course it might have been showing it from a biased perspective.

It seems that way.
But those people are sacrificing a whole community, to promote their own interests.
At a time when UK farmers no longer have most subsidies, and fertilizer prices are sky high, they are struggling to make ends meat.
Clackson's restaurant and shop would be a great way for those farmers to sell a lot of their products.
And the rest of the village would also benefit. As some tourists might be interested in visiting the rest of the village, and spending more money.

Seraphym

My two cents...
Born in Wales, lived rurally in England and Wales and brought up on farms. Anywhere rural and pretty has the same issues, retirees or commuters buying up the housing stock. Price out the locals.
Clash of ideals, people want the picturesque village without the smell of shit and 'hassle' of country life.
As agriculture has moved more and more towards massive super farms, diversification has been the only way that smaller farmers can keep going.
Clarkson is just a way for people to see what is actually going on.
Admittedly he has a lot deeper pockets than most, but some of the issues he has tried to solve but has been obstructed along the way.
As a caveat, we are seeing it through the lens of the show.
But the British NIMBY is alive and well!

MilkyJoe

I've had my car reported as abandoned and then towed away within an hour of LEGALLY parking on the road outside someone's cottage. Cost me to get it back and the police weren't interested that it was a malicious report. Should have taken the valve-cores from that cunt's cars in response.

I'd have ordered a ton bag of top soil delivered to his house and tell them, i'll be out, just leave it out the front

Drew1440

The UK farm industry has some very weird regulations, many restricting to what you can do on your own land for such simple things. This goes in depth of it all:

Add than on top of local council restrictions and you wonder how many farmers still operate.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The UK farm industry has some very weird regulations, many restricting to what you can do on your own land for such simple things. This goes in depth of it all:

Add than on top of local council restrictions and you wonder how many farmers still operate.

It is almost as if the government is against the family farm and for the cooperate farm. In the US we have rules and many corporations (ADM) use patent law to take over and sue family farms into oblivion. One thing we should work toward as a government is protecting the right of the individual more than the right of the corporation.

Dural

It is almost as if the government is against the family farm and for the cooperate farm. In the US we have rules and many corporations (ADM) use patent law to take over and sue family farms into oblivion. One thing we should work toward as a government is protecting the right of the individual more than the right of the corporation.

Yep, but the only way that will ever happen is if lobbying is made illegal. (talking about the US)

Top Bottom