• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class action lawsuit against immigration detention center approved by Colorado judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
link

The lawsuit, filed in 2014, alleges that at a 1,500-bed detention center in Aurora, Colorado, that is run by GEO Group under contract to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, detainees were forced to work for little or no pay and threatened with solitary confinement and criminal charges if they failed to comply.

The detainees, most of whom are held for civil immigration-related violations, were pressured to sweep and mop floors and clean toilets and showers, among other chores. For a $1 a day, the complaint said, detainees did laundry, prepared meals and cleaned the facility.

“Detainees were aware of the Sanitation Policy during their detention and claim that they performed the required duties to avoid solitary confinement,” the judge wrote in his decision.

Nina DiSalvo, executive director of Towards Justice, a nonprofit legal group representing the detainees, said to Fox News that using immigrant labor was how GEO was able to get by with just one full-time custodian for a large facility that houses more than 1,000 people.

“We have consistently, strongly refuted these allegations, and we intend to continue to vigorously defend our company against these claims,” Pablo Paez, GEO’s vice president of corporate relations, told Fox News.

Pretty damn despicable if true. If anything, I'm glad these private detention centers are gaining more scrutiny.

Put me in solitary confinement if old.

Tall4Life

Ah yes, the GEO Group, the second biggest scumbags of the private prison industry, only behind CCA.

They can all rot, I hope the lawsuit goes through.

watershed

Banned
I hate this shit. And tangentially related, the Trump administration is looking to expand private prisons. Sick as fuck.

Karkador

Banned
Fun fact: GEO Group is part of G4S, the security company that employed Orlando shooter Omar Mateen (they falsified his psych evaluation and gave him a gun).

Isn't life funny sometimes?

NoRéN

Interesting how threads about immigrants don't get much traction on here. Goes to show why shit like this is happening.

The foreign hordes don't get much sympathy.

EMT0

Banned
NoRéN;233846417 said:
Interesting how threads about immigrants don't get much traction on here. Goes to show why shit like this is happening.

Every thread on undocumented immigrants, I have to shoot down a lot of refuted myths and other associated bullshit claims from people about undocumented immigrants. Then they get especially quiet once I say that I am one and are never found again. Like clockwork. They usually don't give a shit about running their mouths on 'muh law' up until they feel like they're putting their GAF account at risk by continuing.

guek

Banned
NoRéN;233846417 said:

The sad truth. I feel like a lot of the issue is a lack of exposure though. Thanks, media!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom