• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic comic ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

sand_3.jpg

Had to post this one.

COMICAD%20tank.jpg

A life size tank for $5. Can't pass that one up.

hypn.jpg

The hypno-coin. That leads us into...

Bill%2BCosby%2BAmerican%2BHeart%2BAssociation%2BAd.jpg

MC Safety

I actually had those. They were 2D figures on flat bases that tipped over pretty easy. Made them great for target practice kinda like those carnival ducks.

No, they were the little green army men like you see in Toy Story. They were 3D.

xeris

Did some poking around because it was driving me nuts. I did have figures from both of those adverts, but apparently what I was thinking of are called Comic Book Flats and look like this:

aXJWL8g.jpg

Which apparently came from this ad:

Pv8rKtD.jpg

Good gods, I ordered a lot of this crap. Even had sea monkeys at one point.

I always loved those junk food ads in which the super hero lures the bad guys with snacks and captures them.

Also, always jealous of those prize ads where kids can earn them by selling crap.

Did some poking around because it was driving me nuts. I did have figures from both of those adverts, but apparently what I was thinking of are called Comic Book Flats and look like this:

aXJWL8g.jpg

Which apparently came from this ad:

Pv8rKtD.jpg

Good gods, I ordered a lot of this crap. Even had sea monkeys at one point.

I would be incredibly upset if I ordered those, and that's how they looked when I got them.

Dicer

Banned
I got a pile of army guys of a comic once, wasn't any of the ads posted so far, and they weren't flats, got a big box full of real plastic molded soldiers/tanks and so on and even a mat that looked like a battlefield...

way more

Uhhh.... What's the story behind this? Some weird fever dream?

Haha, second time I've heard a story about those mail order monkeys.

http://snapjudgment.org/fools-gold

Monkey Madness is the story of Pepe the monkey.

So when my mother, seeing this monkey, and seeing it's from Monkey Island or wherever it was from - and she says, oh my god. I don't care what the boys have ordered. Take this thing back, it's not coming to my house. Take it back where you got it from. I don't want this thing in my home.

And the postman says, if I take him back, he will die. So now my brother and I are about to have a stage 4 meltdown in front of the bridge club, which she cannot have, right? And we know that she's sending our friend away to a certain death. So she says, oh for god's sakes, all right. Put the monkey in the kitchen.

What a saint that mom was.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
haha, I reckon my aunt telling us she bought these Sea Monkeys for the cousins back in the late sixties, she recalled that they became so bloody numerous my uncle had to flush them down the toilet when the guys were at school

speaking of real monkeys, WTF? Poor things, man i guess animal abuse was not a thing to be worried about back in the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom