• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland police union will not hold flag during Browns' opener

So i guess.......the Cleveland police union doesnt support the flag?

23298572-mmmain.jpg

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland's police union will not be holding the American flag for a pregame ceremony for the Brown's first game Sept. 10, Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association President Steve Loomis said late Friday.

Union members had planned on participating in the flag ceremony for the first game on Sept. 10 until some Browns players kneeled during the National Anthem before a preseason game, Loomis said in an interview with cleveland.com.

The players not standing for the national anthem is offensive because of the sacrifices that people make that allows these guys to enjoy the success that they have, Loomis said. While they're benefiting from protection of the flag they are kneeling in disrespect of it, he said.

The Browns management and ownership condoned this disrespectful activity of their employees, Loomis said.

"It's just ignorant for someone to do that," he said. "It just defies logic to me. The fact that management was aware of what they planned on doing, that's as offensive as it can get."

Browns players knelt during the national anthem before playing against the Giants on Aug. 21.

"As an organization, we have a profound respect for our country's National Anthem, flag and the servicemen and servicewomen in the United States and abroad," a Browns spokesman said in a statement at halftime. "We feel it's important for our team to join in this great tradition and special moment of recognition, at the same time we also respect the great liberties afforded by our country, including the freedom of personal expression."

They locked arms during the playing of the national anthem prior to the preseason game against the Bears on Aug. 31.

Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown said prior to the game against Bears that the players handled themselves well.

"Professionally, thoughtfully, probably as thoughtfully as any others have," Brown said in an earlier cleveland.com article. "These are guys that mean well. We really push our guys to be active and conscious about the communities they live in and what goes on around them that might be even larger than football. They do that, and we support them. We respect their efforts to use their platform to make some change and express themselves. And I think for all those guys that knelt initially and then last week decided to stand -- I won't get into why they made that decision -- I think they are going about it in a very responsible and thoughtful way. I'm actually proud of them."

Loomis said many of the Browns fans are law-abiding patriotic citizens, and he called the move by the players a slap to the face of the fans.

"When management allows you to do those things, then that's on them," Loomis said. "It's hypocritical of the Browns management and ownership to want to have an armed forces first-responder day, and have us involved in it when they allow their players to take a knee during the national anthem. That's the very representation of what we stand for. That's why we aren't going to."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/cleveland_police_union_will_no.html

Socivol

Doesn't this kind of behavior from police departments just reinforce what these players are kneeling about? Criticism doesn't mean you're being disrespectful. I used to be a public school teacher and all you ever heard was how horrible the schools were but that never bothered me because I knew I was doing what I needed to do to help the issue.

When cops do stuff like this in my mind they are saying they think what's happening is completely fine and want that system of injustice and inequality to persist. These cops can go fuck themselves.

Afrikan

Good.... good.. keep talking.

Hopefully this pisses the Browns players off again... first they took a knee, then pressure from Browns coaches and Management made them pull a Doug Baldwin (with them standing again)..... and even after that the Police Union wants to say this...?

Perfect, hopefully they go back to kneeling...with an FU to Hugh Jackson.

Disrespecting the flag by kneeling...

Know what? You guys disrespect the flag by continuing to engage in pure pettiness. By demanding absolute respect without doing jack shit to earn it, and continuing to undermine the liberties that fucking flag represents.

HariKari

Always amused by cops that don't want to do their job because they disagree with the views of another person. There's always threats of cops that they don't want to help protect these venues or take part in the ceremonies. You literally signed up to protect and serve everyone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So they're holding a symbolic protest... to protest a symbolic protest?

I'll give them credit for being fractal.

Cyframe

I've never seen such a profession with such a low tolerance for what they consider to be stress. A retail worker is more hardened to stress than police at this point. They could look at those kneeling as a sign for police reform and reforge bonds with the community they're supposed to serve but their type of petulant behavior makes me wonder how they can do their job properly.

Black people and other minorities and allies are told all the time to be peaceful and look what happens. A football player essentially blacklisted for literally doing the most peaceful form of protest.

They don't really care to improve their own reputation.

theWB27

Some cops are really getting their feelings hurt. They making a bigger hoopla out of this than the proven systemic racism ripe within police forces.

That's why I'll keep shitting on the "good" cops for not speaking up against this ish...clearly they can muster up the strength when they want to.

televator

These are supposed to be the "heroes in blue?" Pfffft

Fucking snow flakes. Can't do a simple job unless they have people coddle them and stroke their authoritarian egos at all times.

This is so pathetic. I hope the leadership of these police unions and pro-cop advocacy groups go down in history for their shameful response to people who are working so hard to fight racial injustice. These fucking assholes refuse to even acknowledge a problem exists and anybody who does becomes their enemy. They're seriously extremists it's gross.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Honestly read the title thinking it was being done as a show of solidarity with the players kneeling.

I should have known better.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Arguably the servicemen sacrificed much so that athletes 'could' choose to kneel in protest of some real nationalistic problems facing the nation.

Arguably the servicemen sacrificed much so that athletes 'could' choose to kneel in protest of some real nationalistic problems facing the nation.
My history is rusty but the Revolutionary War vets died for the first Amendment. Blacks were still enslaved then so do these players owe thanks to?

Top Bottom