• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland police union will not hold flag during Browns' opener

When whole organisations of police do these kinds of actions, and then people have the gall to argue that you shouldn't generalise cops, the majority of them are good cops and it's just a few bad apples...

giphy.gif

This controversy is so fucking stupid. I hate this country sometimes.

Glad this is ruffling feathers everywhere though. This country is coming to terms with its past yet again.

Mahonay

Banned
Arguably the servicemen sacrificed much so that athletes 'could' choose to kneel in protest of some real nationalistic problems facing the nation.
Lol come on. These police are doing this directly against the player's decision to kneel in support of the oppressed/wrongfully killed. There is no grey area. It's cut and clear. Get out with those devil's advocate type arguments.

"It's offensive! People fought for your freedom and now you are exercising your freedom."

But none of this as anything to do with the military anyway and the Police Union knows that

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Lol come on. These police are doing this directly against the player's decision to kneel in support of the oppressed/wrongfully killed. There is no grey area. It's cut and clear. Get out with those devil's advocate type arguments.

I may be wrong about the person you quoted's intent, but I think their post was essentially saying that the player's are engaging in what our [military] service members fight to uphold and the the cops should presumably not try to speak for everyone else

Mahonay

Banned
I may be wrong about the person you quoted's intent, but I think their post was essentially saying that the player's are engaging in what our [military] service members fight to uphold and the the cops should presumably not try to speak for everyone else
Hmm ok.

I'm a little too jumpy with my fuck the police vigor. Also too much coffee today.

First time I'm going to cheer for a Cleveland team, ever.

I know it's actually in their league rules or something, but I'd love to see what happens if Lebron's on a knee during the anthem.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm ok.

I'm a little too jumpy with my fuck the police vigor. Also too much coffee today.

Haha, nah it's understandable and that post is fairly vague. I've just never heard of cops referred to as "servicemen" and have always heard it in reference to the military, so I'm assuming they're talking about the military

"You're disrespecting the country by refusing to stand during the national anthem. So we're gonna refuse to carry the national flag at the game. That'll teach ya."

How can you protest if we just do away with the national anthem? That'll teach you to disrespect our vets....

"You're disrespecting the country by refusing to stand during the national anthem. So we're gonna refuse to carry the national flag at the game. That'll teach ya."

Literally the mindset of these people and those that support them. "When you do it it's wrong because you are black". That's it. That's all it is. That's the way society should function in their minds.

sangreal

Good. The worship of cops and soldiers before and during sporting events is creepy and way more out of line than some players sitting down when you think they should stand. Amazing that people see the latter and object to politicizing sports and then turn around and cheer these spectacles

Parshias7

Shame on the Cleveland police department for not treating the American flag with the respect it deserves. Totally unpatriotic.

Ohio cops are infamous, and their image problem is their own fault. Their is nothing for them to say to anyone, fix your shit ohio.

Good. The worship of cops and soldiers before and during sporting events is creepy and way more out of line than some players sitting down when you think they should stand. Amazing that people see the latter and object to politicizing sports and then turn around and cheer these spectacles
It's mostly a football thing. The NFL gets off on it's blind jingoism, using these things as basically buzzwords to sell more space. It's also more nefarious. The armed forces are name advertising partners of the NFL.

Football is being used to recruit soldiers from young men and women viewing the games. All this is part of their seal with one another to advertise.

I mean, the union should grow some skin and do what they promised to do instead of whining about this. Seriously. Start acting like adults instead of kids who go all "but they did this!" crap.

But what does the kneeling mean? Is it symbolic for something in particular or is it a peaceful protest due to recent events?

JABEE

Cleveland Police refuse to hold and honor our beloved flag.

What are they teaching at the Academy?

Hating black people is more important than honoring our military?

These people making it obvious they care more about symbols than people's lives. I'm absolutely disgusted by large parts of this country sometimes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My history is rusty but the Revolutionary War vets died for the first Amendment. Blacks were still enslaved then so do these players owe thanks to?

Why are you spinning this as a slight against the military?

Must not have communicated my point well enough as I am merely condoning the choice for these men to choose how to handle pre-game salute to a privately organized profit-bearing sporting event. It's a perfectly fair freedom for them to bend the knee. Others have been posting identical sentiments before and after. Not meant as a spin in whatever direction your responses went. Hell it stands in agreement with the lot of you(the police response is basically bullshit if you need me to be crystal clear).

Chumly

Yet I'm sure these fuckers would be glad to defend nazis because you know it's free speech. They don't "agree" with it but dirty liberals shouldn't infringe on nazis and alt rights free speech.

*Next week*

The players continue to knee during the anthem so we are left with little choice and are going to spit on and burn the flag at the start of the next game.

Top Bottom