• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

click...click...click...PS2 or ESPN?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So I'm on PS2 number...uh...let's call it four. Second one I've paid for(Got one replaced under warantee, Sony sent me a replacement, which is the one I'm currently on), but anyway.

Playing NFL2k5 a good deal recently and my PS2 started to click while loading at some parts. And then last night it started to click loudly, quickly, and cause the game to freeze. While playing other games I can hear the occasional click but it doesn't freeze or get as severe as when I am playing the ESPN game. There are no visible scratches or anything of the sort on my disc, either.

Has anybody else played ESPN 2k5 on PS2 and encountered the same problem? Or has anybody encountered the problem playing other games? In my experience, when a PS2 dies it tends to do so suddenly and without warning, not with steady clicking from the drive.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Most PS2s click. I'm on my second one and both of them have clicked loudly while accessing the disc. I don't understand why Sony TVs and components will last for 20 years and I have yet to own a PlayStation product that will last more than two.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
satterfield said:
Most PS2s click. I'm on my second one and both of them have clicked loudly while accessing the disc. I don't understand why Sony TVs and components will last for 20 years and I have yet to own a PlayStation product that will last more than two.

Yes, most do, but it doesn't seem as though most do it more and more rapidly until it sounds as though a click occurs with every revolution of the disc, followed by the game freezing.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'd really like to know how many of the PS2s counted as sold are actually just replacement units for already-existing owners. EVERYONE I know personally, as well as many people on this board and elsewhere on the internet, has owned more than one due to their first one breaking. One guy I know has had to replace his system every four or five months, and he's on PS2 number 7 or 8 now (personally, I would've given up after two or three, but that's just me).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, I called sony and did the consumer (by the way, "Consumer" services sounds very much worse than customer service) service song and dance and they're going to fix it and send it back for free...I've got to take care of shipping it to them though, which is a pain in the ass but oh well.

Top Bottom