• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski addresses the differences between Lawbreakers and Overwatch

The skill doesn't come from the input mechanic, it comes from knowing when and how to use the ability the key press generates.

almost nothing in the game takes any skill in execution. i guess if you consider "wait for them to mount an attack on the objective before using your ultimate" skill more power to you

nOoblet16

I could see it happening with someone who's very good at Genji or something, but yeah without using an ult it would be really rare.

Even with Genji's ult you can't get everyone unless it's extremely situational i.e. tanks are low on health, Pharah is on the ground with a jump cooldown, Mei doesn't have her cryo freeze (Mei takes 3 hits from the sword or 2 hits and a dash, which makes it easy for her to survive with Cryo freeze and basically waste Genji's time. Not to mention the damage she does in the mean time will bring you low on health for you to be finished off by someone else.)

If there's a Roadhog or any tank really (which is almost every match) your entire ult will be finished or close to finish on just killing that one tank, which is why you never really go for tanks with Genji's ult. Pharah is another hero that is usually not the one to get killed during a Genji ult unless it's extremely situational due to the fact that she is out of range and going for her means you have to leave the group of enemies, unless ofcourse she uses her ult and you deflect it.

nOoblet16

almost nothing in the game takes any skill in execution. i guess if you consider "wait for them to mount an attack on the objective before using your ultimate" skill more power to you
This is just wrong.
How much have you even played the game? It's important because it'll give me an idea of what kind of people you play against.

This is just wrong.
How much have you even played the game? It's important because it'll give me an idea of what kind of people you play against.

i dont play it anymore. any fps on the pc with aim assist and bullet magnetism is garbage before even looking at all the other horse shit in the game

nOoblet16

i dont play it anymore. any fps on the pc with aim assist and bullet magnetism is garbage before even looking at all the other horse shit in the game
Tales from ass? There is no aim assist or bullet magnetism...unless you count ults, but why would you even do that in the first place. Hanzo's arrows have big hitboxes and while that's an issue for a lot of people including myself, it is also a necessary evil due to the fact that it's an arrow in a game with bullets, rockets and lasers. Why don't you present an example with an argument ? Don't show me a Hanzo video or Winston and Symmetra laser, I already know what they are and it's neither aim assist nor bullet magnetism.

And ofcourse you don't play it anymore, it's always people with the least experience taking the biggest shit.

Oh. So show us you can consistently do:

80%+ accuracy with McCree's left click at mid range.
60%+ accuracy with Pharah, averaging 40+ direct hits every game.
50%+ accuracy with Widowmaker.
4000+ damage blocked with Zarya every game.

Or high healing with any support hero without dying much, or high accuracy with any non-tracking hero.

Oh by the way the only "aim assist" heroes are Symmetra and Winston, that is... 2 out of 21? OK fair lets count Hanzo's huge arrow hitboxes, make it 3, does that satisfy you?

JPS Kai

There are a few things I didn't quite get into from my hands on with Lawbreakers: mobility and pacing being the most noticeable. I keep wanting to treat the game like it's faster than it actually is.

nOoblet16

Oh. So show us you can consistently do:

80%+ accuracy with McCree's left click at mid range.
60%+ accuracy with Pharah, averaging 40+ direct hits every game.
50%+ accuracy with Widowmaker.
4000+ damage blocked with Zarya every game.

Or high healing with any support hero without dying much, or high accuracy with any non-tracking hero.

Oh by the way the only "aim assist" heroes are Symmetra and Winston, that is... 2 out of 21? OK fair lets count Hanzo's huge arrow hitboxes, make it 3, does that satisfy you?
Pfff simple, none of that requires skill you see.
Skill is only turning fast and getting a headshot with a sniper.

Tales from ass? There is no aim assist or bullet magnetism...unless you count ults, but why would you even do that in the first place. Hanzo's arrows have big hitboxes and while that's an issue for a lot of people including myself, it is also a necessary evil due to the fact that it's an arrow in a game with bullets, rockets and lasers. Why don't you present an example with an argument ? Don't show me a Hanzo video or Winston and Symmetra laser, I already know what they are and it's neither aim assist nor bullet magnetism.

And ofcourse you don't play it anymore, it's always people with the least experience taking the biggest shit.

considering his arrows are 1 hit kill and he even has an arrow where you only need to hit the ground somewhere within a 5 meter radius of the character id say its not justified. his arrows function just like bullets do for a sniper rifle in any game those just dont have bullet magnetism and aim assist. same applies for widow. its actually harder to miss than hit with either of them.

are you the top 1% of the top 1% of genji guy? either way you seem to think rather highly of your "skill" in overwatch. are you a pc gamer? do you play any old school arena fps or even a game like battlefield and are you as much of a boss in those? id be truly shocked if you were

Phinor

2. You can just as well take out an entire team in Overwatch too as long as you don't suck, Cliffy.

Having played both games, I would say it's about as situational to take out 4-5 enemy players in a room in both games. You won't do it in Lawbreakers with most classes unless your cooldowns are off and the enemy team sucks (simply because weapon clip sizes are quite small so you have to keep reloading to take down that many enemies), and you won't do it in Overwatch without the right class and/or ultimates and preferably the other team being crap at that moment, too.

Now 1 on 1 I would give it to Lawbreakers. In Overwatch there's situations you just can't win no matter how well you play (again, unless the other player is completely hopeless). In Lawbreakers I think almost every 1 on 1 situation is winnable by the better player. Almost. There's cooldowns that are very hard to counter in certain situations like in a corridor without room to maneuver.

And while I think Lawbreakers is really good, I'm afraid there's just not enough space in the market for this many multiplayer shooters. There wasn't in the past when great games came and went (Section 8 Prejudice!) and there isn't now. The big ones mostly do well, games that cater to certain niches will live on (Red Orchestra!) but most games will be unable to maintain big enough player base because there's always new games just around the corner.

A lot of people are taking the comments a bit too literal and are very defensive. His explanation sounds very reasonable to me.
Yeah the defensiveness on the first page is funny coming from someone who loves Overwatch. Nothing he says seems remotely controversial at all.

KLoWn

Did the game kill your parents or something? Also, what aim assist. Please enlighten us.

*Edit*
Oh wait.. Are you talking about Soldier 76's ult? really?

I enjoyed Overwatch for a couple weeks, but it is far too derivative of Team Fortress 2 for it to have lasting value for me. Bring on the competition!
That isn't Battleborn.

Did the game kill your parents or something? Also, what aim assist. Please enlighten us.

*Edit*
Oh wait.. Are you talking about Soldier 76's ult? really?

Well Hanzo hitboxes are basically aim assist. The game in general is very generous with hit detection.

I personally find the game far too forgiving to bad aimers. But it's smart from blizzard as they have made a very elitist genre have a game that's incredibly accessible...Just a shame I'm already bored/infuriated with OW. But they aren't going to capture the moba audience if they have a game with highly demanding/unforgiving mechanics...it's not really in a your average moba players dna to enjoy something like that.

nOoblet16

considering his arrows are 1 hit kill and he even has an arrow where you only need to hit the ground somewhere within a 5 meter radius of the character id say its not justified. his arrows function just like bullets do for a sniper rifle in any game those just dont have bullet magnetism and aim assist. same applies for widow. its actually harder to miss than hit with either of them.
They are only ohk for a headshot on squshies as they should be..you don't like it play a tank. His arrows do not function just like sniper rifles in other games because you don't have zoom, and the travel speed is much slower and the trajectory is much worse. Why don't you try playing Hanzo yourself and see that he is more of an annoyance rather than a dominating hero, he is one of those who you remember being killed by, but if you play him yourself you'll realise there's not a lot you can do.

are you the top 1% of the top 1% of genji guy? either way you seem to think rather highly of your "skill" in overwatch. are you a pc gamer? do you play any old school arena fps or even a game like battlefield and are you as much of a boss in those? id be truly shocked if you were
Yes for all. Being good at Overwatch and being good at other games and being a PC gamer are not exclusive.

And you can make fun of me for all you want but I didn't really pull that number out of my ass (ok maybe the 1% of the 1% was not entirely true and said in haste because it's more like 5% of the top 1%), it's what my ranking is on PC.

They are only ohk for a headshot on squshies as they should be..you don't like it play a tank. His arrows do not function just like sniper rifles in other games because you don't have zoom, and the travel speed is much slower and the trajectory is much worse. Why don't you try playing Hanzo yourself and see that he is more of an annoyance rather than a dominating hero, he is one of those who you remember being killed by, but if you play him yourself you'll realise there's not a lot you can do.

Yes for all. Being good at Overwatch and being good at other games and being a PC gamer are not exclusive.

And you can make fun of me for all you want but I didn't pull that number out of my ass, it's what my ranking is on PC.

wanna play some unreal tournament 2k4? not mutually exclusive i just think its very unlikely that someone good at fps games like those i listed would ever enjoy overwatch.

also why would you need a zoom button for his arrows when the longest view distance possible on any map is like 25 meters and you have aim assist and magnetism?

Takeru

Got an alpha code right after it ended so I look forward for the when the second session rolls out. Looks fun to play.

outsidah

The trailer for his game didn't look bad, but with all the cursing and blood it kinda felt like it was trying too hard. We'll see.

wanna play some unreal tournament 2k4? not mutually exclusive i just think its very unlikely that someone good at fps games like those i listed would ever enjoy overwatch.

also why would you need a zoom button for his arrows when the longest view distance possible on any map is like 25 meters and you have aim assist and magnetism?

I played Q3 and UT99 as well as CS 1.5 back in the days and would say I was quite good in that.

And I enjoy Overwatch. So what now? These are different games. I can like Q3 for its fast pacing and skill and Overwatch for its Hero-based abilities and Teamplay. It is a different mindset you need to have when playing Overwatch and UT or other arena shooters. It doesnt mean you dont need any skill...

Lawbreakers looks great. MUCH more verticality and enhanced movement compared to OW. Pinpoint, twitch gameplay and the speed... oh the speed. Cannot wait until my new PC is built!

nOoblet16

Play a game of UT24K to win a forum argument ? Yea right. Just because I was good at that game then does not mean I can play the same today after not playing it for years.

But not everyone thinks the same way as you do, PC gamers are not a hive minded breed of creatures.
Plenty of people play different games and enjoy them because they don't set a restriction of what they find fun.

Why does widowmaker have a zoom then? Why do arena based games like UT with a hitscan sniper have a zoom even that people use.

That's beside the point, it does not "work" like a sniper because it does not have zoom.

And again there is not aim assist with Hanzo..nor bullet magnetism those are two separate things and they are yet again..separate from big hit boxes which is what Hanzo's arrows are.

KLoWn

Wow. You just make yourself sound more and more pathetic the more nonsense you spout.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
There is room for than just one guys! I remember playing BF 1942, quake 3 and Unreal around the same time...a lot!

Same with command and conquer and Warcraft 2

I play overwatch but lawbreakers looks fun a as hell when it comes to gameplay. Looks more open, more skill based instead of depending too much on classes. I haven't played it so I don't know for sure.

Overwatch is fun, but I'm always ready to play something different.

There is room for than just one guys! I remember playing BF 1942, quake 3 and Unreal around the same time...a lot!

I play overwatch but lawbreakers looks fun a as hell when it comes to gameplay. Looks more open, more skill based instead of depending too much on classes. I haven't played it so I don't know for sure.

Exactly! I'll be playing both a ton. Overwatch for more casual, chat filled-catch up with friends, play. LawBreakers for a more serious, competitive and team-up to win play.

Room for a bunch of hero shooters as long as they're different like these two are.

KLoWn

I agree 100%. More games, more fun. And I'll admit I'm lazy and haven't actually read every post in this (very short) thread, but did someone actually argue against this?

This game is clearly Overwatch. It would be something different if it was just "Oh they have rockets, that's Pharah, it's Overwatch". In fact that rockets are the least comparable to Overwatch of all I really saw just now.

The main thing that I can discern that is different is that this Lawbreakers game doesn't have identifiable characters, especially since each character can carry all the weapons. I don't know if that's definitely the case, but that's what the video demonstrates. I wasn't listening to it though so maybe the guy said something different.

Mortal Kombat wasn't just a gritty skin placed on top of Street Fighter. It wasn't just a mature fighter. It also wasn't "just" mechanically different. It had a lot of differences going for it, so much that the only similarity was that they were 2D fighters. The best comparison you could make to this is that Lawbreakers' characters have the same basic core moves, just as how MK characters do, but that wasn't exactly a positive thing about MK.

A lot of people are taking the comments a bit too literal and are very defensive. His explanation sounds very reasonable to me.

Oh are you not familiar with Overwatch fans?

Overwatch fans are combination to create a monster:

Anime fans + Blizzard fans = Unbearable fanbase

The main thing that I can discern that is different is that this Lawbreakers game doesn't have identifiable characters, especially since each character can carry all the weapons. I don't know if that's definitely the case, but that's what the video demonstrates. I wasn't listening to it though so maybe the guy said something different.

Weapons are class bound. The game plays nothing like OW and has different objectives.

I don't understand why you contribute when you haven't bothered to actually research anything and then just say "it's clearly overwatch".

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This game is clearly Overwatch. It would be something different if it was just "Oh they have rockets, that's Pharah, it's Overwatch". In fact that rockets are the least comparable to Overwatch of all I really saw just now.

Mortal Kombat wasn't just a gritty skin placed on top of Street Fighter. It wasn't just a mature fighter. It also wasn't "just" mechanically different. It had a lot of differences going for it, so much that the only similarity was that they were 2D fighters. The best comparison you could make to this is that Lawbreakers' characters have the same basic core moves, just as how MK characters do, but that wasn't exactly a positive thing about MK.

I disagree, lawbreakers looks like a an arena shooter with hero bits on top. Overwatch feels like tf2 with hero bits on top. I almost get a rocket arena vibe from watching lawbreakers. It's tough to tell because I haven't it, I've only played Overwatch but lawbreakers looks less like team fortress and more like unreal. Those are really big differences imo.

Weapons are class bound. The game plays nothing like OW and has different objectives.

I don't understand why you contribute when you haven't bothered to actually research anything and then just say "it's clearly overwatch".

Demo reels should mean something. You shouldn't show a demo reel and then say "this isn't an actual representation of the game".

Top Bottom