• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton admits failure in stopping 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read Dick Clarke's book Against All Enemies, for a insight into Clintons attempts to stop OBL.
Find out who impeded his efforts and why.
Truth be told, Clinton tried and the evidence is there to support him. It was the 'machine' that failed him.

Hitokage said:
You mean like this guy?
tdy_nod_clarke_040325.300w.jpg
gangstashit7yz.gif

:D

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
ToxicAdam? Hello? Still with us buddy? Didn't think so.

What a douche. Can't believe anyone still buys this 'Blame Bin Laden on Clinton' shit.
Or how right wing hacks can have the gall to bring Clinton up after spending billions looking for him, invading two countries, and still nothing.

ToxicAdam

Slurpy said:
ToxicAdam? Hello? Still with us buddy? Didn't think so.

What a douche. Can't believe anyone still buys this 'Blame Bin Laden on Clinton' shit.
Or how right wing hacks can have the gall to bring Clinton up after spending billions looking for him, invading two countries, and still nothing.

fuglyguy.gif

I have never left. Also, in that video clip Clinton admits he failed in capturing Bin Laden. Bush has failed too, but refuses to admit it.

Why are you having problems following this thread?

Everyone thinks you were trying to put blame on Clinton, Toxic. Again, he didn't fail miserably in his duty because he tried to protect us. A lot of nay-sayers will say he didn't try hard enough. However hard he tried, it was a lot better than bush.

puck1337

Bill Clinton has balls the size of grapefruit. He is going to be massively influential for the rest of his life, and we are better off for it.

EviLore said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7720229726882976585&

Old, yeah, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, clinton's hour long conversation at the world economic forum 2006 back in january is good stuff.

I watch this after that matt lauer bush interview and don't know whether to laugh or cry at our political circumstances ;b

Wow. I'm only about half way through this... but it is definately impressive the level at which he communicates and the kind of candor he displays in his comments. He isn't pulling punches at how we've gotten to where we are at... but he isn't being mean about it either. There isn't a hnt of rhetoric in his comments, but simply a strong desire to try and change things.

ToxicAdam

Verboten said:
Everyone thinks you were trying to put blame on Clinton, Toxic. Again, he didn't fail miserably in his duty because he tried to protect us. A lot of nay-sayers will say he didn't try hard enough. However hard he tried, it was a lot better than bush.

I think there is blame to be put on Clinton. In fact, moreso than Bush at the time 9/11 occurred. But Bushco has botched everything since then, it renders the point moot.

GhaleonEB

ToxicAdam said:
I don't understand how it is a "thread backfire". Clinton admitted he is a failure, and I commended him on recognizing it.

Now if he can come clean on how inner cities were decimated during his term and NAFTA destroyed the job market in most of the midwest states ... then I will proclaim his greatness.
It is nice to see him admit mistakes, but the full context is what caused the backfire. In addition - as he pointe out - Clinton was actively trying to hunt down Bin Laden right up until he left office, and that was without an attack on US soil. Bush had the biggest attack on US soil ever, perptrated by Bin Laden on his watch, and has completely and totally given up finding him. I'd like to see that admitted as a mistake.

AniHawk

The Experiment said:
Props to my nigga Clinton.

I wished he would be able to run again for a third term. Probably this generation's FDR.

Maybe he could become vice president and that president could resign.

APF

ToxicAdam said:
I think there is blame to be put on Clinton. In fact, moreso than Bush at the time 9/11 occurred. But Bushco has botched everything since then, it renders the point moot.
?? Bush said it pretty clearly: OBL is wanted dead or alive. Dead or alive. Mission accomplished from day one, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheebs

AniHawk said:
Maybe he could become vice president and that president could resign.
No they would skip over him if that was the case.

Both he and Reagan(if he was a bit younger and didn't get alzheimer's) could have constantly won re-election till the day they died.

siamesedreamer said:
He definately dropped the ball in Tora Bora, but saying he's given up is "completely and totally" false.

Bush didn't personally F tora bora up. The people around him did. But since he appointed them, he does bear some responsibility.

Cheebs said:
No they would skip over him if that was the case.

Both he and Reagan(if he was a bit younger and didn't get alzheimer's) could have constantly won re-election till the day they died.
Is this opinion or fact? Would be kind of a cool loop-hole.

Solo

As I Canadian, I have never had anything but respect and love for Billy C. Even moreso when he was banging Monica. I dont care if he was into S&M or whatever, I felt safe with him leading our neighbor country. The current guy, not so much.

:lol :lol :lol @ APF

Anyway, watching these recent interviews of Clinton makes me cry. You forget how unpresidential Bush is until you hear a real President speak...

Cheebs

Verboten said:
Is this opinion or fact? Would be kind of a cool loop-hole.
It's a fact they would skip over the VP if he already was elected as president twice. However the democrats could elect Jimmy Carter and he could serve again, same with George HW Bush for republicans.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Cheebs said:
However the democrats could elect Jimmy Carter and he could serve again, same with George HW Bush for republicans.
What's the rule behind that?

Diablos

Teknopathetic said:
Thread backfire. AdamBot abort.
:lol

Bill Clinton is awesome. I saw him on Larry King earlier this week. I can't believe we went from someone that formed his ideas and opinions so well to this retard currently sitting in the White House.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
APF said:
?? Bush said it pretty clearly: OBL is wanted dead or alive. Dead or alive. Mission accomplished from day one, as far as I'm concerned.

:lol :lol Bravo sir that was an awesome post.

I'll just repeat what others have already said, Bill Clinton's IQ stomps the shit outta Bush Jr... man a debate between the two of them(in some alternate reality) would have been hilarious.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
APF said:
:lol :lol :lol

That YouTube video "Bill Clinton Freaks Out" is hard to watch (poor quality).

I went to Crooks and Liars to see if they have a better clip. They don't, but they metnion:

Crooks and Liars said:
Drudge is linking to a Youtube teaser video that looks to me purposefully out of sync to try and make President Clinton look crazed. Shameless…The whole segment will air Sunday morning…

MaestroRyan said:
clinton was impeached because he got his dick sucked

then he admits failure about things

bush is all like "just war long war war on terror"

and he bullshits us

and then he's rollin in the lack of impeachins

c'mon america get in the game

wow... you have absolutely no grasp on this, do you?

What were you, 9? 10? when Clinton was in office?

Section 1
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress

that's the amendment. i see no reason why they would skip over clinton if he were vice president and the president resigned/died. The key word is elected. He would not have been elected president.

edit: I guess people just don't know as it hasn't been tried. It's for the courts to decide.

From wiki...

The living current and former presidents are restricted by this amendment as follows:

Gerald Ford may be elected once only, because he had served more than 2 years of Nixon's term.
Jimmy Carter may be elected one more time.
George H. W. Bush may be elected one more time.
Bill Clinton may not be elected President again.
George W. Bush is ineligible to be elected President again after his current term which is due to end 20 January 2009.
The amendment imposes no restriction on the number of terms a person may serve as Vice President, or the ability of current or former Vice Presidents to be elected to the Presidency.

Any of those above may succeed to the Presidency under the terms of the Presidential Succession Act of 1947. The 22nd Amendment only restricts certain people from being elected to the Presidency (but see above concerning the 12th Amendment). If the 12th Amendment does not restrict non-elected succession, then any former President could become President again by first becoming Vice-President (or reaching the top of the order of succession via some other office). The only likely case is that of Bill Clinton, the other living ex-Presidents being well past the typical age for a Vice President or Cabinet Secretary

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
LizardKing said:
that's the amendment. i see no reason why they would skip over clinton if he were vice president and the president resigned/died. The key word is elected. He would not have been elected president.
:O

Anyways, yeah, Clinton was a good president, but he made a bad family decision by cheating on his wife. However, from all the interviews, talk shows, etc. that I've seen and heard of him, it seems that he got himself some therapy and counseling to help him sort out his personal issues, and he's not afraid to admit that he made a big mistake by doing what he did.

A good leader is not a leader that makes himself appear perfect. A good leader is someone that tries his best, does not deny responsibility for mistakes or failures, and tries to learn from those mistakes and failures for future endeavors.

Unfortunately, most politicians try to make thesmelves seem like Mr. Perfect, so they end up bullshitting their ways into and through their terms in an attempt to help their own personal images and agendas rather than helping others, as they are supposed to do. It's a pity that politics usually end up being popularity contests instead of efforts to improve the country.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Of coruse he failed to stop 9/11, I mean it happened so of coruse he failed. But he did try. He did not fail to try.

I saw the clip of this on Fox news earlier today, and the first thing I thought was how ridiculous it was to try to blame 9/11 on Clinton. Could he have done more? Possibly. Could he have killed bin Laden? Yes. He could have, and acked off. Would it have mattered? There is a good chance it wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

Same thing holds true with Bush. He was in office nine months when 9/11 went down. The first year of any president is spent getting up to speed, working on getting his agenda in play, etc. It's stupid to try to blame it on Bush as well.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and it's easy to point fingers, but mistakes were made by both presidents, opportunities missed to be sure. But to blame it on either man is just plain stupid. If there was a failure, it was amongst the Intelligence Community who failed to see the attacks coming and communicate the threats to one another.

More on Clinton's FoxNews Smackdown....

Wallace repeats Path to 9/11 misinformation, Clinton fights back:

WALLACE: When we announced that you were going to be on Fox News Sunday, I got a lot of email from viewers, and I got to say I was surprised most of them wanted me to ask you this question. Why didn’t you do more to put Bin Laden and al Qaeda out of business when you were President? There’s a new book out which I suspect you’ve read called the Looming Tower. And it talks about how the fact that when you pulled troops out of Somalia in 1993, Bin Laden said “I have seen the frailty and the weakness and the cowardice of US troops.” Then there was the bombing of the embassies in Africa and the attack on the USS Cole.

CLINTON: OK..

WALLACE: …may I just finish the question sir. And after the attack, the book says, Bin Laden separated his leaders because he expected an attack and there was no response. I understand that hindsight is 20/20.

CLINTON: No let’s talk about…

WALLACE: …but the question is why didn’t you do more, connect the dots and put them out of business?

CLINTON: OK, let’s talk about it. I will answer all of those things on the merits but I want to talk about the context of which this arises. I’m being asked this on the FOX network…ABC just had a right wing conservative on the Path to 9/11 falsely claim that it was based on the 9/11 Commission report with three things asserted against me that are directly contradicted by the 9/11 Commission report. I think it’s very interesting that all the conservative Republicans who now say that I didn’t do enough, claimed that I was obsessed with Bin Laden. All of President Bush’s neocons claimed that I was too obsessed with finding Bin Laden when they didn’t have a single meeting about Bin Laden for the nine months after I left office. All the right wingers who now say that I didn’t do enough said that I did too much. Same people.

Clinton takes on Fox News bias:

WALLACE: Do you think you did enough sir?

CLINTON: No, because I didn’t get him.

WALLACE: Right…

CLINTON: But at least I tried. That’s the difference in me and some, including all the right wingers who are attacking me now. They ridiculed me for trying. They had eight months to try and they didn’t…I tried. So I tried and failed. When I failed I left a comprehensive anti-terror strategy and the best guy in the country, Dick Clarke… So you did FOX’s bidding on this show. You did you nice little conservative hit job on me. But what I want to know..

WALLACE: Now wait a minute sir…

CLINTON:…

WALLACE: I asked a question. You don’t think that’s a legitimate question?

CLINTON: It was a perfectly legitimate question but I want to know how many people in the Bush administration you asked this question of. I want to know how many people in the Bush administration you asked: Why didn’t you do anything about the Cole? I want to know how many you asked: Why did you fire Dick Clarke? I want to know…

WALLACE: We asked…

CLINTON:…

WALLACE: Do you ever watch Fox News Sunday sir?

CLINTON: I don’t believe you ask them that.

WALLACE: We ask plenty of questions of…

CLINTON: You didn’t ask that did you? Tell the truth.

WALLACE: About the USS Cole?

CLINTON: Tell the truth.

WALLACE: I…with Iraq and Afghanistan there’s plenty of stuff to ask.

CLINTON: Did you ever ask that? You set this meeting up because you were going to get a lot of criticism from your viewers because Rupert Murdoch is going to get a lot of criticism from your viewers for supporting my work on climate change. And you came here under false pretenses and said that you’d spend half the time talking about…

WALLACE: [laughs]

CLINTON: You said you’d spend half the time talking about what we did out there to raise $7 billion dollars plus over three days from 215 different commitments. And you don’t care.

Clinton on his priorities and the Bush administration priorities:

CLINTON: What did I do? I worked hard to try and kill him. I authorized a finding for the CIA to kill him. We contracted with people to kill him. I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since. And if I were still president we’d have more than 20,000 troops there trying to kill him. Now I never criticized President Bush and I don’t think this is useful. But you know we do have a government that thinks Afghanistan is 1/7 as important as Iraq. And you ask me about terror and Al Qaeda with that sort of dismissive theme when all you have to do is read Richard Clarke’s book to look at what we did in a comprehensive systematic way to try to protect the country against terror. And you’ve got that little smirk on your face. It looks like you’re so clever…

WALLACE: [Laughs]

CLINTON: I had responsibility for trying to protect this country. I tried and I failed to get Bin Laden. I regret it but I did try. And I did everything I thought I responsibly could. The entire military was against sending special forces into Afghanistan and refueling by helicopter and no one thought we could do it otherwise…We could not get the CIA and the FBI to certify that Al Qaeda was responsible while I was President. Until I left office. And yet I get asked about this all the time and they had three times as much time to get him as I did and no one ever asks them about this. I think that’s strange.

PH2006042800590.jpg

"Chris, Bill hasn't ****ed me like that in ages, tell me what it was like"

Shouta

Wow, that was an impressive interview. I've always thought highly of him and I wish we could repeal that law that only allows 2 terms to any single president because he's the kind of leader we all need.

Diablos

mamacint said:
[Interview aka Faux News ownage]

2ciah6q.gif

That's just... wow.

If every Democrat (or enough of them) happened to be like Bill Clinton, the Republicans wouldn't have a fighting chance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Clinton is the best President ever. At least throughout the younger years and this part of my life.

edit: Who is the dumbass on Fox trying to imply that because he's so angry and pointing the finger that it's just like when he lied about Lewinsky? :lol

A lot of people in here are saying things like "If more Dems were like Clinton.." and "It's great he stuck it to Fox", etc. There is one thing you have to keep in mind. Clinton will never run for election of any kind again. He now has the luxury of saying anything he wants. Were he still running for office, he wouldn't have the freedom to say some of these things or get as agitated as he does in this interview. Other Dems (and Republicans for that matter) who are still running for office, have to be more tactful and guarded in their interviews.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
He handled those questions well. What gets me is how these lying defamers who want to place 911 on clinton's head willfully ignore the fact that Bush didn't give a **** about Bin Laden for a full 8 months. What disgusting political bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom