• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Starfield Performance Mode Upgrade - 40FPS, 60FPS, VRR And More - The Complete Breakdown

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Digital Foundry had early access to the display mode update for Starfield, and we've put together this detailed report on the various performance options and visual settings choices available. While Bethesda recommends a 120Hz display with VRR (as do we actually!), there's a wealth of viable options for those with standard 60Hz screens with no variable refresh rate support... and major cities apart, the game does a good job of hitting 60 frames per second.

00:00 Overview
00:48 Visual Differences
05:57 Performance Mode Testing
11:43 Analysis and Conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

- 'Dazzling array of options'
- On/off toggle for V-Sync also present

Quality vs Performance General:
- Quality modes adds extra clutter compared to Performance mode in distant terrain
- There are some 'terrain sculpting' difference between the two modes, not a 'quality' divide, but just a difference in terrain sculpting, DF noticed a similar difference in SS and SX comparisons.
- Quality mode has higher LoD for some distant objects and some texture mips
- Biggest difference is quality of reflection cube maps
- Other basic settings like shadows are a match with no visible difference
- Crowd density seems identical between the two modes (despite patch notes saying otherwise)

- Changing modes in real-time sees lighting change on the spot, lighting can look 'broken' during this transition

Resolutions:
- Visuals: 1440p reconstructed to 4K using FSR2
- Performance: 900p reconstructed to 4K using FSR2
- No DRS spotted in DF testing, both modes use VRS
- Both modes 'deliver a clear 4K like final image'
- DF are surprised FSR2 is targeting a high resolution in Performance mode
- Performance mode can show occasional shimmer in motion and some textures don't resolve as well as Quality

- DF did not notice any difference in permutations like using Quality mode at 60hz vs 30, so the above applies to different frame rate targets too.

Performance:
- Performance mode generally hits 60 FPS with minor single frame drops in most areas
- Akila and New Atlantis City run more poorly than the rest of the game with drops to 30s
- Visuals mode runs nearly the same in Akila and Atlantis which shows the game is more CPU bound
- Smaller scale interiors runs Quality at 60 but larger worlds and environments can drop to the 40s when using Quality mode
- No real issues aside from single frame drops seen when using either Performance and Quality mode at 30 FPS. Akila and Atlantis can show a single frame drop here and there
- Visuals 40hz mode similarly runs at its target in most interiors and general traversal with bigger drops in Atlantis and Akila with some small drops outside of the cities during combat

- VRR:
- Frame time issues are mostly ironed out when using VRR
- 'Wobbly 35 or 45 FPS can feel quite consistent with VRR enabled'

Uncapped:
- Only available when running 120hz with VRR
- Interiors can run the game at 90 to 100 FPS in Performance mode
- Visuals mode is largely sub-60 when uncapped
- Playing this with VRR in Performance mode seems like the most smoothest way to play

Conclusion:
- Fairly sensible visual options but the 30FPS lock option feels redundant now
- DF are disappointed that Series S didn't get any of these options

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The truth is that they have done a very good job. The IQ in performance mode is pretty decent. Within the impediments of the graphics engine and how demanding it is with the CPU, they achieve a fairly stable 60 fps in most situations. Even in some cities. But of course, it's clear that NEW ATLLANTIS is another story. Of course, the patch is a win-win for those of us who enjoy 120hz VRR TV, but it's a great addition also for those who don't.

Finally, I missed a section where they would have compared the graphical improvements that the game has seen compared to the launch because there have been many (lighting, texturing, etc...)

Fbh

Looks pretty good.
The 60fps mode seems solid outside of the 2 larger cities, and the visual sacrifices don't seem that big

adamsapple

Is there a nutshell comparison of 60 FPS Quality and 40 FPS?

Just took this quick comparison.

Visually, they look identical to me, there might be some underlying differences in distant shadows or AO coverage etc, but it's not something I can spot looking at these images.

In terms of Performance, there's no issue of frame time spikes or judder with VRR so it doesn't feel like you're suddenly juddering in Akila or Atlantis. But if you play the same areas with VRR off, you can sure as shit feel it.

Quality 60:

Oq5YLfl.jpeg

Quality 40:

iAnI0m7.jpeg

Last edited:

adamsapple

better than 40fps quality? haven't been able to try it out yet! have an lg c2 so was planning just doing 40/Quality as i figured that'd be the best overall.

In my very little testing of the game so far, yes. 40hz doesn't seem to have any notable visual enhancements over 60 when they're both running in Quality, and with VRR, there's no 'performance' loss when targeting 60 over 40. But there is a big gain in almost all the game outside the two hub cities.

If this was a case where 60 was only possible in Performance mode, in that case the 40hz mode would be a much more easy choice to recommend.

Last edited:
In my very little testing of the game so far, yes. 40hz doesn't seem to have any notable visual enhancements over 60 when they're both running in Quality, and with VRR, there's no 'performance' loss when targeting 60 over 40. But there is a big gain in almost all the game outside the two hub cities.

If this was a case where 60 was only possible in Performance mode, in that case the 40hz mode would be a much more easy choice to recommend.
nice! great to know.

Stafford

I have a Sony A95K and XSX. VRR is always on. Which mode do I go for if I want the least visual sacrifice and still framerate above 30fps? 40fps is fine for me, Plague Tale 2 was very nice with it. Unless it's absolutely not needed and then obviously I want 60fps.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I have a Sony A95K and XSX. VRR is always on. Which mode do I go for if I want the least visual sacrifice and still framerate above 30fps? 40fps is fine for me, Plague Tale 2 was very nice with it. Unless it's absolutely not needed and then obviously I want 60fps.

Quality, 60.

Virtually no visual difference between 60 and 40 when both are running in Quality mode.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks like the terrain level of detail and textures on par with series s and lighting quality takes a big hit. im glad they didnt ship a performance mode at launch because no one should be playing this game at series s graphics settings.

Not surprised to see indoor combat areas running at 60 fps even in the quality mode. Game was barely using my GPU when indoors.

adamsapple

Looks like the terrain level of detail and textures on par with series s and lighting quality takes a big hit. im glad they didnt ship a performance mode at launch because no one should be playing this game at series s graphics settings.

Not surprised to see indoor combat areas running at 60 fps even in the quality mode. Game was barely using my GPU when indoors.

Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the Performance and Quality mode lighting.

But then again, I'm extremely happy with the game in Quality mode 60hz so there's no real need for the Performance mode for me, anyway.

b0uncyfr0

Played the intro on the X - it looks pretty good.

Now get rid of the loading screens, fix the shitty UI and it'll be worth playing.

BigLee74

Performance mode still looks very rough in the cities unfortunately.

I hate 30 fps, but I hate big drops and inconsistency more!

Bojji

Shimmering in motion is much more obvious but in stills, the resolve is not bad.

30hz Quality:

Qbu046n.jpeg

60hz Performance:

EsWDAM4.jpeg

-

Side by side made by Tarnpanzer Tarnpanzer

Based on the video it's a mess in motion. But that's the price of 60FPS I guess.

Visual mode with 60FPS output and 120HZ+VRR seems like the best choice.

Performance mode still looks very rough in the cities unfortunately.

I hate 30 fps, but I hate big drops and inconsistency more!

120+VRR will fix most of the stutters.

Options for that should be there from day one.

intbal

60hz VRR will only cover drops to 40fps, anything below that will judder like there's no VRR.

If it's a Freesync 1 monitor, it might not even work down to 40. Some of the early ones only supported 48-60hz. So even though the Xbox can output in the 40-60 range, the monitor will turn off VRR any time the refresh rate drops below 48.
Those aren't terribly common, though.

adamsapple

If it's a Freesync 1 monitor, it might not even work down to 40. Some of the early ones only supported 48-60hz. So even though the Xbox can output in the 40-60 range, the monitor will turn off VRR any time the refresh rate drops below 48.
Those aren't terribly common, though.

True, true. R ren008 you can check your monitors VRR specifications on rtings.com or its own manuals to see what its coverage range is.

DanielG165

Really good update overall for the Series X, specifically. It’s nice that the devs went back and did some optimizations to take additional advantage of the engine and hardware here. I’m on PC, but this is a good solid update for people who may be looking to jump back in on console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just fired it up, it looks surprisingly sharp for a 900p fsr2 game. Unfortunately the loading is still considerably longer than my pc bit the new maps etc look really cool.

Think I'll jump back in at some point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I played about half my run through on the XSS and the other half on the XSX, there is a difference but nothing earth shattering. The game is a solid experience on XSS as well. Other than not having access to the new modes, but those weren't available when I played.

Zuzu

I’ve walked around Neon a bit. This is a great update. The game feels so much better at higher frame rates. And the image quality in performance mode is pretty good though I’ll be playing on visuals since it’s still noticeably sharper. But what a great update; it’s a shame it didn’t release this way. Oh well, I still have lot of quests left that I can enjoy if choose to start playing again.

salva

I don't have a VRR display, just a reg 4k TV, but will be now playing this on Visuals in 60FPS mode. Did a quick test and it looks best and still seemed pretty fluid for the most part.
Wonder why they didn't jump to the latest FSR3?

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

They should have taken the chance and added FSR3 Frame Generation with this patch. Consoles can surely benefit a lot from it. Can't wait to see it in action in Immortals of Aveum

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don't have a VRR display, just a reg 4k TV, but will be now playing this on Visuals in 60FPS mode. Did a quick test and it looks best and still seemed pretty fluid for the most part.
Wonder why they didn't jump to the latest FSR3?

If you're fine with the drops in the big cities without VRR, power to you!

I'm not sure how feasible it is to change rendering that much in a console game, afterall we haven't had a single game that uses frame-boost on consoles yet. Immortals of Aveum has been promising it for almost half a year now but their patch is still not out yet.

Top Bottom