• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLUELESS GAMER: Aaron, Frodo, and Conan play FFXV: "An aggressive wasting of our time

I literally have popcorn for this thread.

CxVJX1pVIAAOuc6.jpg

"Was it overly mean to call Final Fantasy XV an “aggressive waste of time”? Well, that’s kinda the point of Conan’s Clueless Gamer persona. He doesn’t thoroughly trash every game he plays, but he definitely calls out the silly aspects in all of them — especially elements that many gamers might not notice because we are so accustomed to the idiosyncrasies of the medium. But Final Fantasy XV looks like Square Enix unleashed a strategic reserve of idiosyncrasies, and while I actually find that appealing in a way it makes sense that Conan would jump on that as an opportunity for comedy.

And it turns out that Square Enix shares that sense of humor."
^ I wish I could writte like this, guy took the words out of my brain.

Not really. People are talking about it, and it will probably have people buying it for the same reason that people bought Sonic 06.

Reckon there are plenty more people who were slightly interested in it, and completey turned off of even keeping up with reviews by the segment tbh

If my only exposure to the game was the Platinum demo and this, I'd think the game was on track to be legitimately terrible.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean...say a casual player who knows nothing about JRPGs were to get the game. They would still probably find it completely uninteresting.
I remember getting Mega Man X Command Mission without having any idea what turn based gameplay was. I went from the most hyped I've ever been for a game to utterly confounded and crushed.

Lorcain

Kudos to the team that selected the game sections for Conan to try./s

Holding down trigger to push a broken car, bumbling around town to window shop for a wedding dress, long stretches of running through the desert, a not-the-real-boss-fight fight, and sitting on a bed chatting with a girl. The best part they played was riding around on chokobos.

Anth0ny

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

FFXV is too important to be sabotaged by the ill informed rants of an uncultured western talk show host. I felt sickened just seeing all the hard work of Tabata-san and others being insulted like this.

i love this post so much

Okay, I thought it was in-game days. It seem silly to make a fight last that long

Would be a shade worse than silly I'd say. We don't have confirmation either way, but when they first talked about killing the turtle they said it would take more than one in game day. 72 real life hours would be like 100 in game days or something. You think they would have called his out: it's going to take months of in game time to fight this thing!

Also, easy to imagine a miscommunication between SE marketing and Clueless Gamer - how long to beat this thing? 72 in game hours! 72 hours - wtf!?

ChrisD

hahahah the first quote they use I read in the same tone as the "Shot themselves in the foot/Japanese culture" copy/paste. It set a pretty funny tone for the rest of the article.

I think Square Enix probably sees the exposure as good, even if it did get "trashed" by Conan. He put it quite well at the end with his shouting rant, it is a waste of time, RPGs tend to be that way. But good job! (I mean, media in general is a waste of time, but I hope my point is gotten) The flaws he's pointing out are not only largely on FF XV itself, but also part of the very genre the game is in. Elijah Wood even said about as much with his comment on why he doesn't play RPGs too often.

Orayn

It's especially bad if a WESTERN talk show host does it, because a Japanese host would understand the true depth of this melodramatic video game for teenagers.

Byvar

I'm hoping there was a miscommunication and it actually just takes 72 hours of playtime to get approximately strong enough to beat the Adamantoise.

While this was obviously meant as a humorous video, Conan did make a few valid points, such as how the opening and first chapter of the game seem utterly boring and probably will make more than a few people drop the game entirely. Should've sticked with that Insomnia invasion.
I know from what we've seen it gets a lot better later in though, so I'll still play it to completion regardless. Maybe I won't beat the Adamantoise though if it really takes 72 hours.

DrBretto

Banned
Reckon there are plenty more people who were slightly interested in it, and completey turned off of even keeping up with reviews by the segment tbh

If my only exposure to the game was the Platinum demo and this, I'd think the game was on track to be legitimately terrible.

So, let's say you're this hypothetical person. Now, come release day, you're morbidly curious enough to see just how bad the game does, then it goes and pulls a 91 on metacritic and people are talking about how much fun they're having. How long do you think it'll take to dismiss the initial data?

And now you'd've turned a hypothetical uninterested person into a possible sale.

sjay1994

“FFXV is too important to be sabotaged by the ill informed rants of an uncultured Western talk show host. I felt sickened just seeing all the hard work of [game director Hajime] Tabata-san and others being insulted like this.”

This feels like the birth of a new meme

Those aforementioned fans, however, aren’t quite as confident as Square Enix. Long-time Final Fantasy lovers on NeoGAF and Reddit are arguing whether this is bad for the game or not. Some are arguing this could tank the RPG’s sales.

pshh..So Neogaf = Koozek, Ishida, and NoctisVstar?

The guy's gotta do more research man.

Trace

Banned
wtf, what's with the 3 days things ? I surely meant in game ?

That's a misquote, it was actually 33 days, real-time not ingame, and the game disables the pause and system menu while this battle is going.

No one actually knows but 3 real days sounds so stupid it's not happening.

That's a misquote, it was actually 33 days, real-time not ingame, and the game disables the pause and system menu while this battle is going.

No one actually knows but 3 real days sounds so stupid it's not happening.

Almost sounds like those stories about "unbeatable" mmorpg bosses

I'd be happy to clarify this for you: Conan O'Brien is a comedian, and that was comedy. :)

eeeeee

k i'm just seeing how long this thread is. I understand this is called "Clueless Gamer" and I know Conan is a comedian and more of a casual gamer, but my first impression of the video was left at slightly negative. I guess any press is good press though, and its lucky this game even made it into Conan's bit tbh. He gets like 4-6million views for these.

Holy fuck this was hilarious. Are all the Clueless Gamer shows that funny ? I might watch all of them.

They are amazing

Oh my god, my heart. I can't. This is too much. Too much, I can't take it. Jesus.

It's too funny, I'm dying.

I wish I had a transcript- did he yelled "babies wont me made because of this!" at the end?

Edit:
I can already see the GOTY FFXV box full of quotes
from IGN,kotaku, and clueless gamer

"A Master Piece" "Babies wont be made because of this!" ... XD

DrBretto

Banned
eeeeee

k i'm just seeing how long this thread is. I understand this is called "Clueless Gamer" and I know Conan is a comedian and more of a casual gamer, but my first impression of the video was left at slightly negative. I guess any press is good press though, and its lucky this game even made it into Conan's bit tbh. He gets like 4-6million views for these.

They are amazing

I mean, they deliberately didn't show any combat or anything. It was clearly edited to highlight the funny things Conan had to say about it. It wasn't to showcase the game. It was given to Conan to give it a roast.

Cels

Almost certainly in-game days (so 3 hours or so real time).

Not even SE would make a 72 hour fight in a single player RPG.

they made absolute virtue, just because ffxi is an MMO doesn't make absolute virtue less of a joke

but i don't expect the adamantoise to take 72 real time hours to kill, no.

Pifje

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

FFXV is too important to be sabotaged by the ill informed rants of an uncultured western talk show host. I felt sickened just seeing all the hard work of Tabata-san and others being insulted like this.

Excellent post, troll or not.

Especially that "Tabata-san" part. Good lord, the cringe.

Asd202

I know it was probably said a thousand time heck I even said it myself but the review thread for this game will be a thing of legend.

Haha I would have had the same reaction being shown that shit. Whoever approved this whole thing is getting fired immediately.

Like even hardcore jrpg fans wouldn't want to go look at some dress

If the game bombs, it'll be their own fault for putting out mostly terrible demos and media

sphinx

the piano man
No. Here's a joke post:

I propose spending 11 years and $50 million or so to produce whatever the fuck this mess is

I really enjoyed that. The more nerdy the game is, the more hilarious Conan gets, and FF is pretty amazingly nerdy. Also, that voice acting. Ugh.

The "this game kind of looks like junk" side. Although most of us aren't quite as negative as Stump. I'm still going to play it, I just have absolutely no expectations whatsoever.

I think the biggest surprise, to me, is how people seem to be genuinely taken off guard to hear that some people don't think they've been showing the game in a very positive light.

I said damn,

GAF moderation-team is on fire crushing FF-fans' dreams and hopes.

Top Bottom