• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Singapore, Nordic countries outrank US in achieving UN health goals

Luxembourg with a 1 on the alcohol use scale... so like, everyone in the country is just permanently wasted? "Welcome to Luxembourg, here's a gallon of Jagermeister and a funnel."

Laekon

Singapore being at the top is really interesting since it is such a diverse nation/city. It also borders a country that is economically many levels below it on average. It goes against the common argument about how the Nordic region does so good because there is no diversity. It also grew because of immigration. So its basically the best argument against racist anti-immigration idiots in the US, except for the whole illegal to have gum and assigned housing.

I recently did a rotation with a public health department in So Cal and was amazed to see that TB is still an active disease. While most of the patients were in the migrant farm worker population they were cases in some very rich towns.

I really shouldn't bite because "America is the best because you literally can't compare countries at all" is even worse than normal, but I guess I will anyway. Simpson's Paradox arises when there is a hidden or omitted variable correlated with the quantity of interest that drives the apparently incorrect results. What is the omitted variable that you feel causes the fallacy of aggregation here?

American Exceptionalism. We're the greatest except when we're not and when we're not it's because you omitted special exceptions that would make us number one if you took them into account.

American Exceptionalism is a perpetual engine that feeds itself

xk0sm0sx

As a Singaporean, I think Singapore is No.1 not just because of our healthcare, but we have laws that have been aggresively pushing against drinking, smoking, and not to forget, our tough laws against drugs.
And our government is planning to tax sugar soon, for the sake of health benefits. (And of course, money)

We are also very strict on preventing the spread of trends such as anti-vaccine.

So to be number one, you have to be... not as open as America.

BigDes

Oh cool UK in top ten let's just look at the areas where we slip into the orange

Alcohol intake lol haha oh us Brits love a drink hey hahhaha

aaaaand

Child sex abuse

Great, fantastic, Jesus fucking Christ.

I wonder what is pushing Japan so far down the list. Probably the high number of people still smoking?
That combined with the high suicide rate, I imagine.

I wonder what is pushing Japan so far down the list. Probably the high number of people still smoking?
That combined with the high suicide rate, I imagine.

From the previous page:

gr1a.jpg

From the previous page:

Interesting. About what I expected.

I guess the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami is skewing their disaster mortality rates by a wide margin, as I believe fatalities are usually fairly low for natural disasters.

It's really sad to see just how many countries are failing to battle child sex abuse across the board.

How the hell Spain is just one rank above US?

Oh, the alcohol. I suppose without that we would be ~3 positions above.

Lol, we are above Ireland in alcohol score :p

It is not. I am providing an explanation for why many don't consider alternatives: The countries that they look to are other wealthy English speaking nations with a shared cultural heritage like the UK and Canada, causing them to miss all the other countries like the Netherlands, Switzerland, France and Germany that have systems much closer to what we have already here in the US and that would be easier to transition to.

Yeah, they effectively work the same way though if you have a multipayer private system made non-profit with strict price controls; at that point, most of these private insurance companies would consolidate and they would function as agencies/intermediaries of the government anyway.

You are right about the ease of transition part for sure, though.

I've just realized that for all the talk of anti-vaccination coming from the US, their vaccination coverage is still pretty good apparently.

Perception on that lists changes with a little more info.

1. Singapore 5.607 million
2. Iceland 334,252 Thousand
3. Sweden 9.903 million
4. Norway 5.233 million
5. Netherlands 17.02 million
6. Finland 5.495 million
7. Israel 8.547 million
8. Malta 436,947 Thousand
9. Switzerland 8.372 million
10. UK 65.64 million
11. Australia 24.13 million
12. Canada 36.29 million
13. Germany 82.67 million
14. Italy 60.6 million
15. Denmark 5.731 million
16. Belgium 11.35 million
17. Antigua and Barbuda 100,963 Thousand
18. Cyprus 1.17 million
19. Slovenia 2.065 million
20. Ireland 6.4 million
21. Japan 127 million
22. Austria 8.747 million
23. Spain 46.56 million
24. USA 323.1 million
25. Brunei 423,196 Thousand
26. France 66.9 million
27. Barbados 284,996 Thousand
28. South Korea 51.25 million
29. Czech Republic 10.56 million
30. Slovakia 5.429 million

If anything, this shows that Japan and USA are doing things right. Only countries with a 100+ million population to make it on that list.

India, China, Russia,Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mexico.... where you at?!

How would Tokyo fare against those countries? California? New York?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

3. Sweden 9.903 million
4. Norway 5.233 million
6. Finland 5.495 million
7. Israel 8.547 million
10. UK 65.64 million
12. Canada 36.29 million
14. Italy 60.6 million
18. Cyprus 1.17 million
20. Ireland 6.4 million
21. Japan 127 million
23. Spain 46.56 million
24. USA 323.1 million
26. France 66.9 million

If anything, this shows that Japan and USA are doing things right. Only countries with a 100+ million population to make it on that list.

Eh. More people = more tax payers. It's not like every country on this list has to do it with the same resources. If you're not collecting enough taxes from each one, that's your problem. The Nordic countries probably wouldn't be as high on the list if our taxes were as low as yours.

The other countries you mention are more or less 3rd world. The US and Japan are not.

nacimento

3. Sweden 9.903 million
4. Norway 5.233 million
6. Finland 5.495 million
7. Israel 8.547 million
10. UK 65.64 million
12. Canada 36.29 million
14. Italy 60.6 million
18. Cyprus 1.17 million
20. Ireland 6.4 million
21. Japan 127 million
23. Spain 46.56 million
24. USA 323.1 million
26. France 66.9 million

Is that the new excuse? "Well, compared to Pakistan and Indonesia, all is fine..."

Holy shit at New Zealand, Israel, and Sweden for child sex abuse. What the fuck is going on there?

It's probably the same problem as Sweden with rape numbers, in which they show up as high as they are not because the country is less safe than others, but because it's one of the few countries actually doing a decent job of keeping track of the goddamn problem.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably the same problem as Sweden with rape numbers, in which they show up as high as they are not because the country is less safe than others, but because it's one of the few countries actually doing a decent job of keeping track of the goddamn problem.
That’s what I was thinking. As a German I have the feeling our number is a little to “good”.

4Tran

The US being this far down isn't a surprise (nor is the American exceptionalism in display). What is a surprise is just how low France and South Korea are.

Yup. I suspect that if the numbers were to fully reflect reality, Japan will top the child sex abuse list.

Looking at the breakdown, the outliers for the U.S. are disaster mortality (which is likely a function of the U.S. being more hurricane-, tornado-, drought-, fire- and earthquake-prone than most other OECD countries), MMR ('sup, anti-vaxxers), under-five and neonatal mortality (which is gross and shitty; good job, America), noncommunicable diseases (in America's case, this is basically code for obesity-related deaths), road deaths (probably a function of the amount of driving Americans do rather than a unique problem, although driving regulations and testing are pretty lax here), poisoning mortality (which is fascinating and probably a regulatory issue), and homicide (guns, duh).

Top Bottom