• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US prepares charges to seek arrest of Julian Assange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
he should surrender himself to the police so they can send him to Sweden so we can see if he was right about them trying to extradite him to the US. At this point this is all I'm curious about

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There aren't a lot of facts here. There are a lot of opinions.

It being an FSB front is one. Assange helping Snowden another. Whatever your opinion on the man or the organisation, you shouldn't throw the word 'fact' around when we're really not presented with anything. The official line right now is that a third party was provided documents by Russian intelligence services and these were subsequently given to Wikileaks who the state deems as a nonstate actor. Assange has stated that their source wasn't connected in any way to the Russian intelligence services. Beyond that, you can take issue with timings of releases but we've not had proof of anything.

You should reply to someone who's only following this loosely or thinks assange was being framed by Sweden on behalf of the us and didn't notice Russian support and amplification of WikiLeaks for the last four or five years. Or who finds assange even remotely credible.

KHarvey16

"collaborated with Snowden"

wtf? I haven't been keeping up with the fictional narratives, have we progressed to the point where we're claiming Snowden was obviously a Russian operative the whole time (nevermind that the intelligence community has had 4 years to come up with a convincing story that the truth is anything other than what was initially portrayed...)

Did you read the CNN article?

Dopus

Banned
You should reply to someone who's only following this loosely or thinks assange was being framed by Sweden on behalf of the us and didn't notice Russian support and amplification of WikiLeaks for the last four or five years. Or who finds assange even remotely credible.

Sure, hyperbole and rampant speculation work both ways. But your response isn't a good one when you're claiming to make use of facts. Especially so when we're not presented with anything.

It's a nice theory and one you're welcome to believe in, but I'm going to reserve judgement until there is verifiable information instead of all the noise that is surrounding it.

Amalthea

Banned
I wonder at wich point certain people will realize that Trump will always stab people who helped him in the back once they have outlived their usefulness?

Unison

I wonder at wich point certain people will realize that Trump will always stab people who helped him in the back once they have outlived their usefulness?

As I've posted before, I think this is more likely:

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/855234672393170945

Kangaroo court for Assange, possible pardon... or a conviction on relatively light charges in exchange for some sort of agreement to not prosecute re: Russian collusion.

What's the case for Assange knowingly working for the Russians and/or with Trump? I know he published DNC leaks, but I thought wikileaks' policy was to release everything they get.

As I've posted before, I think this is more likely:

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/855234672393170945

Kangaroo court for Assange, possible pardon... or a conviction on relatively light charges in exchange for some sort of agreement to not prosecute re: Russian collusion.

Yep, this is going to work wonderfully for Trump too. He will have a show with Assange, then he will be able to say "Look, I'm no puppet, look what I did to that wikileaks guy, look".

"collaborated with Snowden"

wtf? I haven't been keeping up with the fictional narratives, have we progressed to the point where we're claiming Snowden was obviously a Russian operative the whole time (nevermind that the intelligence community has had 4 years to come up with a convincing story that the truth is anything other than what was initially portrayed...)

:lol, this reads like pizzagate

....did anyone say that?

no one is saying Snowden is a Russian spy I think. But he committed treason by leaking top secret US documents. That's a reason itself for the US to go for Assange.

Also I'm not painting Snowden as the bad guy per se, but what he did WAS treason, even if it was done under good intentions.

There aren't a lot of facts here. There are a lot of opinions.

It being an FSB front is one. Assange helping Snowden another. Whatever your opinion on the man or the organisation, you shouldn't throw the word 'fact' around when we're really not presented with anything. The official line right now is that a third party was provided documents by Russian intelligence services and these were subsequently given to Wikileaks who the state deems as a nonstate actor. Assange has stated that their source wasn't connected in any way to the Russian intelligence services. Beyond that, you can take issue with timings of releases but we've not had proof of anything.

This was my understanding. Is there additional evidence of Russian ties?

....did anyone say that?

no one is saying Snowden is a Russian spy I think. But he committed treason by leaking top secret US documents. That's a reason itself for the US to go for Assange.

Look upthread. Also, Snowden's docs weren't published by wikileaks.

Nokterian

No matter how you loathe wikileaks and assange, if they are prosecuted..journalists you are next in line from every form of media. This will go the same way what happend in Turkey.

This must not happen because this will get what Trump wanted, getting every single journalist behind bars.

Just like ACLU says we are entering even more dangerous territory.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/855214560877441024

This was my understanding. Is there additional evidence of Russian ties?

Look upthread. Also, Snowden's docs weren't published by wikileaks.

Just because Wikileaks didnt publish Snowden's documents is not proof that they didn't collaborate.

Let's see what stuff leaks, so we can see if this is true or just an excuse to get Assange behind bars.

No matter how you loathe wikileaks and assange, if they are prosecuted..journalists you are next in line from every form of media. This will go the same way what happend in Turkey.

This must not happen because this will get what Trump wanted, getting every single journalist behind bars.

Just like ACLU says we are entering even more dangerous territory.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/855214560877441024

Yeah, hard to retort to that because Trump is a dangerous motherfucker.

danm999

As it has been from the beginning, it'll be interesting to see, if they ever get him out of the Ecuadorian Embassy, what they charge him with.

Before election: I LOVE Wikileaks!

After election: Dafuq is with all these leaks????
Really mate.

Speaking as a non American citizen, Wikileaks had been suspect before the elections.

What started out well with a lot of promise just went down the drain thanks to Assange's ego.

Unison

....did anyone say that?

Also I'm not painting Snowden as the bad guy per se, but what he did WAS treason, even if it was done under good intentions.

A lot of the Louise Mensch/John Schindler-types who have been ahead of the curve on this entire Trump/Russia scandal insist that Snowden was a Russian agent all along.

Speaking of which, the word from similar sources is that Wikileaks' SSL certificate keys were turned over to the Russians during the election cycle, which enabled them to IP mine to target attacks/spam.

From what I understand the big smoking guns that are likely to bring down Trump, if anything, are threefold:

1) Active collusion w/ Russians surrounding these hackings (e.g. Roger Stone working with Gucifer/Wikileaks on Trump team's behalf). The most nefarious incarnation of this seems to be the suggestion that the RNC received hacked updated voter rolls/information from Russian sources (possibly stored on a private Trump server) which was used to target voters in swing states.

2) Various money laundering, through which Trump corporation was essentially a shell organization through which Russian/American mob money was laundered.... The rumor is that addition to the FBI investigation there is a NY State Attorney's office racketeering investigation.

3) Agreeing to lift sanctions (particularly oil sanctions) in exchange for Russian help to win the election.

Obviously I can't say how credible this is, but these are the conspiracy theories from fringe reporters/leakers who have had a decent track record thus far...

Really mate.

Speaking as a non American citizen, Wikileaks had been suspect before the elections.

What started out well with a lot of promise just went down the drain thanks to Assange's ego.

Who are you mocking with this? Because there was plenty who questioned Wikileak's motives way before the election.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear, but I was just parroting Trumps millionth flip-flop.

I'd rather he gets sent to Sweden. All this back and forth about is wiki leaks a crime, well none of that matters right now as he's wanted about an actual crime and there shouldn't be a way to hide from it.

Evacuate the building and send him to Sweden

One possibility is it will be theater: sessions will suck him into a pointless show trial with a mild punishment and then hope everyone forgets about the whole episode. Julian shuts up and plays along gets a few years in a white collar prison - gotta be better than the embassy at this point.

Xe4

Banned
What's the case for Assange knowingly working for the Russians and/or with Trump? I know he published DNC leaks, but I thought wikileaks' policy was to release everything they get.

There's a ton of circumstantial evidence, without necessarily having any sort of direct link (that the media knows of at least, what the IC may know could be different). Try these articles:

In April 2012, the relationship between Assange and Russia became direct for the first time. Specifically, Assange became a star on Russia Today (RT), Russia's state-funded English-language propaganda outlet.

”With WikiLeaks' funding drying up — under American pressure, Visa and MasterCard had stopped accepting donations — Russia Today began broadcasting a show called ‘The World Tomorrow' with Mr. Assange as the host," the New York Times reported in a 2016 piece on Assange's Russian ties.

The exact nature of the arrangement between RT and Assange has never been very clear. Assange and WikiLeaks insist that Assange was never employed by RT, and that RT was only one of many broadcasters that bought rights to air Assange's show. Either way, though, Assange was paid by the Kremlin. According to the Times, the amount of money he received has never been disclosed.

After Assange's brief stint on RT — The World Tomorrow only lasted 12 episodes — links between Assange and Russia kept cropping up. A few notable examples:
  • Assange claims to have inspired Snowden to flee to Russia: ”I thought, and in fact advised Edward Snowden, that he would be safest in Moscow," he told Democracy Now. A WikiLeaks employee, Sarah Harrison, literally flew with Snowden from Hong Kong (where he had been living) to Moscow.
  • In order to avoid extradition to Sweden, Assange holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy in London. According to the Ecuadorian publication Focus Ecuador, Assange asked for control over the selection of his bodyguards, and insisted that they be Russian.
  • Assange used the WikiLeaks Twitter account to attack the 2016 Panama Papers leaks, which disclosed a $2 billion overseas account of Vladimir Putin's. Assange labeled the leak a US-sponsored plot to undermine Putin and Russia.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/6/14179240/wikileaks-russia-ties

At the very least, he's been a stooge for the Russian government for a long time, so whether he knows it or not is not an excuse.

Dopus

Banned
There's a ton of circumstantial evidence, without necessarily having any sort of direct link (that the media knows of at least, what the IC may know could be different). Try these articles:

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/6/14179240/wikileaks-russia-ties

At the very least, he's been a stooge for the Russian government for a long time, so whether he knows it or not is not an excuse.

Dartmouth Films have nothing to do with Russia and neither do Journeyman Pictures. RT bought the distribution rights to the show much to the dismay of Assange. This was clear and has been stated by Assange and clarified by Dartmouth Films themselves.

And yes, Assange stated that it would be safest in Russia, instead of Ecuador where he expressed his fears the the US intelligence services would have easy access to Snowden if he did indeed flee there.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like anyone quoting Louise Mensch as someone to be taken with any seriousness whatsoever managed to miss her entire prior career as a British politician. Being as polite as I possibly can be, she's a nutcase.

Dopus

Banned
One possibility is it will be theater: sessions will suck him into a pointless show trial with a mild punishment and then hope everyone forgets about the whole episode. Julian shuts up and plays along gets a few years in a white collar prison - gotta be better than the embassy at this point.
Plus he gets to play the victim which will be perfect for his brand.

Really mate.

Who are you mocking with this? Because there was plenty who questioned Wikileak's motives way before the election.
This is mocking Trump. During his campaign he would rave about how much he loved wikileaks for their dirt on Clinton, and praised their efforts.

This is how I see the whole thing coming together. Once Assange gets his couple years at Club Fed, he walks out a martyr to the kooks on both ends of the spectrum, free to continue being a propaganda conduit for fascists and madmen

So there is no situation where you would take a word of what she says seriously?
I have zero reason to do so. She throws so many insane theories against the wall that one or two of them end up being correct by happenstance. She's a nutcase.

I'm also saying this as someone who does believe there's a lot of truth to the Trump-Russian ties. Her though? She goes far above and well beyond tinfoil hat tier.

fnc-20090825-beckchart.jpg

ok so seeking asylum in russia is just a coincidence?

Im not saying Snowden is involved but Russia happily taking him in to undermine American interests seems part and parcel to whatever his long term plans are

aeolist

Banned
A lot of the Louise Mensch/John Schindler-types who have been ahead of the curve on this entire Trump/Russia scandal insist that Snowden was a Russian agent all along.

Speaking of which, the word from similar sources is that Wikileaks' SSL certificate keys were turned over to the Russians during the election cycle, which enabled them to IP mine to target attacks/spam.

From what I understand the big smoking guns that are likely to bring down Trump, if anything, are threefold:

1) Active collusion w/ Russians surrounding these hackings (e.g. Roger Stone working with Gucifer/Wikileaks on Trump team's behalf). The most nefarious incarnation of this seems to be the suggestion that the RNC received hacked updated voter rolls/information from Russian sources (possibly stored on a private Trump server) which was used to target voters in swing states.

2) Various money laundering, through which Trump corporation was essentially a shell organization through which Russian/American mob money was laundered.... The rumor is that addition to the FBI investigation there is a NY State Attorney's office racketeering investigation.

3) Agreeing to lift sanctions (particularly oil sanctions) in exchange for Russian help to win the election.

Obviously I can't say how credible this is, but these are the conspiracy theories from fringe reporters/leakers who have had a decent track record thus far...

louise mensch and john schindler are completely unhinged morons who are willing to toss out accusations of treason against literally anyone. just yesterday mensch called bernie sanders a russian troll and suggested putin had blackmail on him. she also has said that putin is behind black lives matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom