• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cobra Kai S3 - Jan 8, 2021 - Netflix

Balboa

Loved this season as much as the first one, still can't believe this show exists AND it's so damn good. Season 4 is gonna blow my socks off!

Mike Barnes: Who are you his mother?
Terry Silver: Maybe

Most badass villain of ALL TIME

Enjay

Banned
Funny side note- Aside from the 2 wwf fan characters it feels like the showrunner for season 3 said "get rid of all the fat characters." even daniel's son was seemingly almost erased from the continuity (wasn't even mentioned in miyagi's letter) but showed up for one scene thin.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Funny side note- Aside from the 2 wwf fan characters it feels like the showrunner for season 3 said "get rid of all the fat characters." even daniel's son was seemingly almost erased from the continuity (wasn't even mentioned in miyagi's letter) but showed up for one scene thin.

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Imotekh

Finished it in 2 days. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes the show so good. The episodes are the perfect length for binging. The whole set up sort of requires accepting that everything is taking place in the Karateverse and nobody could possibly be that invested in a dojo rivalry or commit so much damage and injury and not get arrested. Also the amount of times they say "let's finish this!" Finish what? How are you going to finish it? Do you intend to beat the rival children to death? lol

And I love that - its dumb but amazing fun. I just hope when they wind up Season 4 they remember the original premise - peeling back the binary morality of the original film and getting Johnny's perspective. Somehow I would be disappointed if at the end of the whole thing Johnny just turns into LaRusso, he should be vindicated in his own way that's kick ass and not pussified but also isn't about being a psychotic asshole.

Raven117

Finished it in 2 days. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes the show so good. The episodes are the perfect length for binging. The whole set up sort of requires accepting that everything is taking place in the Karateverse and nobody could possibly be that invested in a dojo rivalry or commit so much damage and injury and not get arrested. Also the amount of times they say "let's finish this!" Finish what? How are you going to finish it? Do you intend to beat the rival children to death? lol

And I love that - its dumb but amazing fun. I just hope when they wind up Season 4 they remember the original premise - peeling back the binary morality of the original film and getting Johnny's perspective. Somehow I would be disappointed if at the end of the whole thing Johnny just turns into LaRusso, he should be vindicated in his own way that's kick ass and not pussified but also isn't about being a psychotic asshole.
Its all 80s camp where just about everything had to have some suspended disbelief. It worked in the 80s because everyone was in on the joke (as opposed to now, where some writers think they are actually writing something epic or something).

Kev Kev

Ok I got to be a hater for a second here...

Man, I wish I enjoyed the show as much as some of you guys. Some of the posts in here have me scratching my head. Like, it’s somewhere between kinda ok and pretty good, but at times dips down into “terrible”, especially with the high school soap opera bits. But it’s not great, not even close, and a lot of the praise I’m seeing in here.... I dunno man I just don’t see it. I’m enjoying it enough, but the writing and acting is so poor at times that I can hardly sit through a whole episode without wanting to turn it off and find something else. I’m invested enough in the show that I gotta see what happens. But man... Its really weird being the odd one out on this one...

888.jpg

I think my prediction for this season was Danny realizing that Krease is the real problem and going after down-and-out Johnny to redeem him and face the menace together while Miguel is stuck in the hospital for most of the season.

Instead, it's Miguel who redeems Johnny and Johnny gets Miguel out of the hospital with his magic QUIET! healing power. Then Johnny and Danny team up but only after their students team up, which is not what I was expecting. I think having Sam lead Miyago-do gave Sam a better arc in this season. Her and Robby were the least likeable parts of last season. This time, they gave Sam more her own thing, removed Robby and she got better imo. Robby is still unlikeable no matter what.

I'm kind of curious what people thought of the Krease backstory bits?

Last edited:

gow3isben

Its the sweet sweet cliffhangers bro

gow3isben

Ralph Macchio's physique is maybe my biggest gripe with this show. He has no muscle mass and a gut, basically skinny fat. Would it be too much to ask for him to get into the gym a few times a week to make his character a bit more believable?

Dude he's 60.

Didn't care for:

The kid that Daniel saved in KK2 just so happens to be the vice president of international sales or whatever and just so happens to have the power to save his dealership. Wow what a coincidence!

Everything else was top notch as usual. Watched all of Season 3 in one go on New Year's Day and now the long wait begins.

But Johnny can cure everything by telling people to stop being a pussy:

it4ua926us861.jpg

More people should be called pussies. It’s a pretty good cure all as we have seen.

I just started and finished S3 in one sitting tonight. Finished the last episode about 30 mins ago. Very impressed with what they did. Ali was handled well. She’s still pretty cute all milfy now.

Just watched the first two episodes yesterday.
Was nice, I am just a bit tired of Johnny and Daniel being cool with each other for half an episode and then reverting to being mortal enemies for some small shit.
They have such a great chemistry with each other, I wouldn't mind them being friends for the rest of this show.

Watched another two or three episodes today.
It's still cool. Love the visit in Okinawa, but damn, his japanese chick looks like an old hag now.

It reminds me a bit of not googling up or even meeting former girlfriends of mine. It just destroys all those warm feelings you had, when you were together at 15, and now she is 45.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Elisabeth Shue looks so amazing still, I have such a crush on her even almost 60. I know she’s in The Boy too, but she never doesn’t look great.

I liked the season much more than 2, I thought 2 was a significant drop off from season 1. Love the way season 4 sets up.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished series 3. This one was a bit meandering compared to 1 and 2 I thought, and they clearly didn't know what they were doing with Robbie... However, this is what modern Star Wars wishes it was. Excellent use of original cast, interesting new characters. Can't wait for season 4.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I think my prediction for this season was Danny realizing that Krease is the real problem and going after down-and-out Johnny to redeem him and face the menace together while Miguel is stuck in the hospital for most of the season.

Instead, it's Miguel who redeems Johnny and Johnny gets Miguel out of the hospital with his magic QUIET! healing power. Then Johnny and Danny team up but only after their students team up, which is not what I was expecting. I think having Sam lead Miyago-do gave Sam a better arc in this season. Her and Robby were the least likeable parts of last season. This time, they gave Sam more her own thing, removed Robby and she got better imo. Robby is still unlikeable no matter what.

I disliked it at first but it grew on me as the season progressed. As corny as it was I liked seeing the genesis for 'Cobra Kai' too. I liked that it reinforced the idea that there are only bad teachers not bad students.

Neil Young

Season 3 is my least favorite. I thought the Kreese Nam flashbacks were ridiculous. It looked so bad and wasn't needed. You could have had Kreese tell the story himself.

Daniels wife is smoking. The dress she wore at the council meeting.....BA boosh!!!

Where did Daniel's son go? Where was he during the breaking and entering of his home? Still a fun show and Johnny is great.

I would like to talk about the physiques of some of the actors on this show.

I agree with the guy who said Daniel is skinny fat. Maybe now that the show is a massive hit on Netflix, they’ll have the budget to get him a trainer and work on some of the fight choreography.

Same for Johnny. I feel like his arms were bigger in season 1. I’d like to see him hit the weights. At the same time, his fighting is a lot more believable.

I think most of the teenagers are fine except for one. Samantha. She’s fat. And as a result, her fight scenes suffer. She needs to lose weight and get a fight trainer. Right now, she’s simply not athletic enough.

I loved the Kreese backstory. I hope we get more of him and that they do the same for another character.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Season 3 is my least favorite. I thought the Kreese Nam flashbacks were ridiculous. It looked so bad and wasn't needed. You could have had Kreese tell the story himself.

Daniels wife is smoking. The dress she wore at the council meeting.....BA boosh!!!

Where did Daniel's son go? Where was he during the breaking and entering of his home? Still a fun show and Johnny is great.
It think it was mainly to serve as a reintroduction of Terry Silver from Karate Kid 3.

images

images

belmarduk

Daniel's son is in the second to last episode only for a brief time. He Is no longer fat.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

The wife is hot but for some reason I thought she was 50 with a bit of that American plastic surgery look. But she is in her 30s 🤯

bigsnack

This show is magic in that it finds a way to make the bad stuff forgivable, while making it so easy to get on board with the good stuff. That’s what makes so much media from the 80’s awesome, and they have been able to recapture that in all three seasons. A lot of the kid drama aside from Miguel is cringy for me, but again I forget all about it the next time Johnny hits us with another one of his brilliant revelations. I hope it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome and wraps everything up in a nice package when the time is right.

MrMephistoX

Even though its nostalgia fuel, I liked the nod to part 2 and seeing the actress Tamlyn Tomita again. I liked part 2 more than most I think and the main draws of that one were Peter Cetera, The Final Fight/Finale and Tomita's infectious smile.

She’s the inspiration for my yellow fever now that I think about it...

Kev Kev

I would like to talk about the physiques of some of the actors on this show.

I agree with the guy who said Daniel is skinny fat. Maybe now that the show is a massive hit on Netflix, they’ll have the budget to get him a trainer and work on some of the fight choreography.

Same for Johnny. I feel like his arms were bigger in season 1. I’d like to see him hit the weights. At the same time, his fighting is a lot more believable.

I think most of the teenagers are fine except for one. Samantha. She’s fat. And as a result, her fight scenes suffer. She needs to lose weight and get a fight trainer. Right now, she’s simply not athletic enough.
Lol slow down there dude. She’s not “fat”. Geez why are people so mean? She’s a little “curvy” as the girls like to say. Except unlike most actual fat girls whobsay that, she really is just a bit more curvy.

I was going to say give her a break because she’s just a kid, but she actually 24. So yeah, I agree she should take some time to she’s off the extra pounds and help make things believable. Plus, she’s an actor, it would likely benefit her in many ways more than just this show.

but she’s not fat ffs 🤦‍♂️

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Lol slow down there dude. She’s not “fat”. Geez why are people so mean? She’s a little “curvy” as the girls like to say. Except unlike most actual fat girls whobsay that, she really is just a bit more curvy.

I was going to say give her a break because she’s just a kid, but she actually 24. So yeah, I agree she should take some time to she’s off the extra pounds and help make things believable. Plus, she’s an actor, it would likely benefit her in many ways more than just this show.

but she’s not fat ffs 🤦‍♂️

I think her physique is perfect, lots of FITgirls have her body type. Not sure if it makes sense with karate but who cares really.

The wife is hot but for some reason I thought she was 50 with a bit of that American plastic surgery look. But she is in her 30s 🤯
Yep, that's really strange.
She'd look good for 45+, but in her age bracket she is a bit.

About Samantha, I think as well she doesn't look fat. She is curvy. Much too curvy for being a martial artist though.
Daniel looks like a wimp most of the time and cannot fight for shit.
Johnny is okay. But like somebody above write, he looked much more fit on the last two seasons.

And Kreese looks like a grandpa that can barely stand. Probably drunk as well.

Davey Cakes

I don't agree at all about the physique thing. If I can buy the ridiculousness of the show in general, I can buy that the characters who don't LOOK like they're in peak physical shape can still kick ass. If anything, it's refreshing.

Not every piece of action media has to have every character be superhero-ripped.

Sam looks amazing, too.

Last edited:
I saw on Wikipedia that Mary Mouser, the actress who plays Samantha, is a type 1 diabetic. That explains her weight gain over the first three seasons and why it might be hard for her to lose the excessive amounts of fat.

Fbh

Finally had the time watch S3.

Overall pretty decent, I'd say about as good as S2 but S1 is still by far the best. The show is great when it focuses on Johnny and Miguel or Johnny and Daniel, the whole high school drama and all the other kids are still pretty bad. The japan stuff was great too.

Also, damn what's with this franchise and everyone in it aging really well?

Just finished season 3. My impressions
1. Johnny is by far the best part of the show.
2. Holy shit! What is with all kids out for blood (teetering on murder)?! Tori, I’m looking at you!
3. Ali and Okinawa Girlfriend worked better than expected. Although, some of the dialogue when Ali and Johnny are saying goodbye sounded awful.
4. Samantha doesn’t come across as a karate expert (have a feeling she will be chosen as the winner of next season’s tournament.)
5. Too many dramatic pauses during fight scenes (“Hold on, Tori! I got to close my eyes and focus.”....Tori proceeds to Numbchucker her forehead!...lol)
6. The teen romance stuff is too cringe to watch (fast forward through most of those parts).
7. Still fun enough for watching through once.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Imagine full on slapping a 74 year old man. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Henggeler told TheWrap of slapping Kreese (Kove) in his own dojo. “I was like, ‘Oh my God. I’m gonna have to slap him. Don’t f— up the stunt.’ Like, this was the big stunt they gave me. They were like, ‘Oh, you get to do a stunt this season.’ I was like, ‘What am I doing??’ They were like, ‘You’re slapping Kreese.’ And I was like, ‘Or a kick?!’ And they were like, ‘Eh, slap.’ And they brought a stunt coordinator in for it, which heightened it.”
“I was just all nervous… Because Marty has done how many stunts in his life? He was so nice and patient and very like, ‘Whatever you need. Do you want to keep practicing?’ And I was like, ‘No, let’s just get in there,'” she recalled during our video call. “But I felt like I just wanted to do a good job so I was definitely not an actor at that moment, I was definitely like a human being, ‘I hope this looks cool.'”
“Last take, I actually hit him — was not supposed to. And they say that you’re not supposed to stop a stunt ever if you make contact because then not only have you hurt somebody, but you’ve ruined the shot as well, so don’t do both,” Henggeler said. “I definitely made full contact, full hand, on his face. And I was like, ah, don’t ruin the shot!”

Okay finished last night. This season was even more ridiculous than last. In good and bad ways. Even though most of the nostalgia cameos are forced and way too convenient, they’re still fun.

I’ve never seen a show represent lack of communication better than this, because the kids fighting is so damn ridiculous.

And about Ali, Elizabeth Shue has some weird fucking movements. Is she hiding a disability or something?

Tesseract

Banned
Ok I got to be a hater for a second here...

Man, I wish I enjoyed the show as much as some of you guys. Some of the posts in here have me scratching my head. Like, it’s somewhere between kinda ok and pretty good, but at times dips down into “terrible”, especially with the high school soap opera bits. But it’s not great, not even close, and a lot of the praise I’m seeing in here.... I dunno man I just don’t see it. I’m enjoying it enough, but the writing and acting is so poor at times that I can hardly sit through a whole episode without wanting to turn it off and find something else. I’m invested enough in the show that I gotta see what happens. But man... Its really weird being the odd one out on this one...

888.jpg
same, it's aight

not great not terrible but also kinda boring

Top Bottom