• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

heringer

Controls in this game are perfect. Flawless. Such a step forward from Reflex (didn't like the cursor in that game). Bought the game for the multiplayer since I had already finished the campaign on the 360 but now I'm playing it again just because it's so good to control.

It almost makes me feel bad when I play Goldeneye. There's something off about how that game controls.

heringer said:
Controls in this game are perfect. Flawless. Such a step forward from Reflex (didn't like the cursor in that game). Bought the game for the multiplayer since I had already finished the campaign on the 360 but now I'm playing it again just because it's so good to control.

It almost makes me feel bad when I play Goldeneye. There's something off about how that game controls.

I think I've said this in the Goldeneye topic, but I think its because Goldeneye has an option called "Look." When I turned it off, it played very much like COD for me.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I don't play TDM much, but did they up the maximum amount of players? I thought it was 10, but I was just in a game with 12 people (and 7 on my team).

I have a feeling that, eventually, I'm going to be Allied with everyone that owns this game on Wii. After seemingly every match, I get Ally requests, and I always just accept them. I'm so friendly. :D

Jethro

Can someone tell me how to perform the 'Dive-Jump' behind objects? I know it hat something to do with the C-Button.

Jethro said:
Can someone tell me how to perform the 'Dive-Jump' behind objects? I know it hat something to do with the C-Button.

While running, hold the button to change stance. You will dive, automatically going from running to prone.

luoapp said:
Just a heads-up, there is a patch coming out today, and Grid and Radiation are back.

Here's the most recent update:

IN PROGRESS

* • Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
* • Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler - has been broken since release
* • Disappearing zombies glitch.
* • Issue where gas clouds were sticking around in Zombie Mode.
* • Issue where some players were getting booted from Zombies games at higher levels after experiencing lagging/zombies disappearing.

LIVE FIXES:

12/9:
* • Fixed issue - "an error occurred while connecting to the server"
* • Variable zoom scope would not stay zoomed in
* • Sierra button layout for Classic Controllers (CC/CCP) assiged same button for Tactical Grenade as steady button for scoped weapons
* • Radiation and Grid have been returned to Public play

12/7:
* • Fixed map issues in Jungle and Villa that were allowing exploits

Eventually, they're gonna fix the Hacker perk problem (you can't see equipment through walls). Then people are going to see my motion sensors all over the place. :(

Disguises

Seems that the playercount is rising over time (12,180 as I type), which is always good, however, there are still not enough players to flesh out some of the playlists. For example: Hardcore HQ has 3 people in the playlist and certain wager matches are also dreadfully low. With the Wii version having nearly as many playlists as the HD versions and around 756,000 less people playing (on 360 version anyway), wouldn't it make sense to consolidate some of the lesser played game modes into one? (Sort of like 'mosh pit' from MW2). This at least means I'll be able to play Hardcore HQ. Either that or find some way to make the 5600 team deathmatch players disperse!
JD2020 said:
IN PROGRESS
• Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
• Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler - has been broken since release
• Disappearing zombies glitch.
• Issue where gas clouds were sticking around in Zombie Mode.
• Issue where some players were getting booted from Zombies games at higher levels after experiencing lagging/zombies disappearing.

LIVE FIXES:
12/9:
• Fixed issue - "an error occurred while connecting to the server"
• Variable zoom scope would not stay zoomed in
• Sierra button layout for Classic Controllers (CC/CCP) assiged same button for Tactical Grenade as steady button for scoped weapons
• Radiation and Grid have been returned to Public play
Good to see them still fixing issues people are having with the game. Variable scope zoom one annoyed me quite a bit, glad to see it's fixed. Getting 'crawlers' is pretty difficult, good to see it's getting fixed too. Also good to see Radiation and Grid back in playlists!
SS4Gogita said:
I don't play TDM much, but did they up the maximum amount of players? I thought it was 10, but I was just in a game with 12 people (and 7 on my team).
Nope, don't think so, still says "x/10 players found" for me. Never seen more than 10 in a game either.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone checked the leaderboards to see how many accounts are there? This is the first time we have players online info. Except for MoH:H2 that peaked at 2k if I remember correctly.

Disguises

Lonely1 said:
Has anyone checked the leaderboards to see how many accounts are there? This is the first time we have players online info. Except for MoH:H2 that peaked at 2k if I remember correctly.
Hmmm...it's hard to view, since setting the leaderboards to 'everyone' and 'all time' only shows the players who have completed 50 matches. Also, there's no 'total' leaderboard, it's separated by gametype.

There's 48,737 players who have completed 50 Team Deathmatch games.
56,878 players who have completed 5 Team Deathmatch games in the past week also.
EDIT: 88,364 people who have played zombies too.

I've never seen online numbers over 22,000. I hope the game picks up over the holidays. Treyarch did a pretty good job with the port.

Freezie KO said:
I've never seen online numbers over 22,000. I hope the game picks up over the holidays. Treyarch did a pretty good job with the port.
That seems pretty good. It's been like 2 weeks since I played the PC version, but that peaked at like 70k - 100k. I'm sure the Wii version will spike a shit ton more after Christmas as well.

Mr Sandman said:
That seems pretty good. It's been like 2 weeks since I played the PC version, but that peaked at like 70k - 100k. I'm sure the Wii version will spike a shit ton more after Christmas as well.

Usually it's anywhere from 3k to 12k, but the peak I saw was 22k.

Also, with the Wii connectivity issues ironed out, maybe we'll see a trickle of a few thousand more.

New update:

IN PROGRESS

* • More reported cases of "unbound" controls
* • Second Chance "invincible glitch"
* • Several fixes that should improve performance/lag for host and client
* • Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
* • Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler

LIVE FIXES:

12/14
* • Stuck spawn points in Villa and Nuketown
* • Disappearing zombies glitch.
* • Issue where gas clouds were sticking around in Zombie Mode.
* • Issue where some players were getting booted from Zombies games at higher levels after experiencing lagging/zombies disappearing.

Glad that they're moving on from all the Zombie Glitches to some more Multiplayer-related issues. I've been decrying the host connectivity in the official thread in the community section, and I'm very happy to see it being "in progress" for a fix.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna help me do a quick CCP Aim-assist video? You just need to move around a bit in a private match.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can do one tomorrow if you want I will pm you my details, just got back home from work and wanna chill for a bit

Effect

If anyone is interested Walmart is selling the game for $40 ($39.96). Same with GoldenEye 007. They have a number of other games marked down for the holidays as well across the systems and PC.

I guess I couldn't pass it up though I hadn't planned on buying anymore games this year after WoW:Cataclysm. This has to be a record for a game I've bought and returned, bought and returned, only to buy again for the third time. Ugh. :( I sicken myself sometimes.

Lonely1 said:
Anyone wanna help me do a quick CCP Aim-assist video? You just need to move around a bit in a private match.

Please post the link here. I play with Wiimote without aim assist. I'd love to see what aim assist does for CC players.

MCX

Banned
I was under the impression aim assist is disabled online?

I play exclusively with an OG CC and there doesn't seem to be any assisting going on, in fact my accuracy is quite bad. :p

MCX said:
I was under the impression aim assist is disabled online?

I play exclusively with an OG CC and there doesn't seem to be any assisting going on, in fact my accuracy is quite bad. :p

I thought there is lessened aim assist online, except in Hardcore which removes all aim assist.

Also, have you tried the Wii remote?

MCX

Banned
Freezie KO said:
I thought there is lessened aim assist online, except in Hardcore which removes all aim assist.

I see, my mistake.

I haven't, and I refuse to because it was a pain in the ass trying to play MW:Reflex with the Wiimote. I have no complaints about the CC, I just need to work on my skill.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Freezie KO said:

CCP Aim assist is ridiculous high while online. That's why I wanna make a video showcasing it.

Effect

In an effort to make sure I didn't change my mind again I opened the game this morning. Can't be returned again now. :lol I did run a 2.5 minute combat training though before I left to get a quick feel of the game. The normal setting seemed way to easy. Only died once and that was because I reloaded when I shouldn't have. Ended up with 6 kills though in that short time. Are the higher difficulties any better?

Didn't mess with the controls yet but I think I need to alter the turning speed. Far to slow.

I thought GoldenEye's multiplayer would be enough but the experience was different here and I'm sort of kicking myself for not getting the game earlier but that's just an impression from playing the game for 3 minutes. The combat training felt more fluid but then again this is a run and gun game for the most part and GE isn't really. I just hope it doesn't over tax my drive until after Christmas. Others will be needing the system during the holidays.

Disguises

Lonely1 said:
CCP Aim assist is ridiculous high while online. That's why I wanna make a video showcasing it.
From my experience it feels pretty much like the 360 version. Would be great to have a comparison video though :).
Effect said:
In an effort to make sure I didn't change my mind again I opened the game this morning. Can't be returned again now. :lol I did run a 2.5 minute combat training though before I left to get a quick feel of the game. The normal setting seemed way to easy. Only died once and that was because I reloaded when I shouldn't have. Ended up with 6 kills though in that short time. Are the higher difficulties any better?
I think the AI just get faster and more accurate at higher difficulty levels (correct me if I'm wrong). It's always fun setting them to 'recruit' difficulty :D. Would be awesome if they could somehow allow hardcore mode in combat training too. Even more awesome would be additional game modes.

Effect said:
Didn't mess with the controls yet but I think I need to alter the turning speed. Far to slow.
Yeah, I spent a good 30 mins tweaking the controls and I still change them slightly now. (Still not happy with any sniping set ups). Just start a private online match so you can have plenty of time to test normal controls, ADS controls and Scoped controls.

Disguises said:
Yeah, I spent a good 30 mins tweaking the controls and I still change them slightly now. (Still not happy with any sniping set ups). Just start a private online match so you can have plenty of time to test normal controls, ADS controls and Scoped controls.

There aren't a whole lot of good sniping maps is the problem, just Array and Cracked IMO. Use the L96A1, get your Scout Pro and never touch snipers again :p

Disguises

HisshouBuraiKen said:
There aren't a whole lot of good sniping maps is the problem, just Array and Cracked IMO. Use the L96A1, get your Scout Pro and never touch snipers again :p
I seem to do pretty well with the CCP at sniping (more usable than the 360 version due to the lack of anti-quickscoper sway in the Wii version). Guess I'll just have to put more practise into pointer-control sniping to get better. Yeah, also agree about the maps being a large part of the overly-nerfed sniper issue. I'll take a good guess and say they're implementing decent sniping maps with the first batch of DLC
and 'Five' and the WaW zombie maps please, Treyarch? :D

I've actually gotten pretty good lucky using the ACOG with L96A1 and WA2000.

Disguises

Lonely1 said:
On the other hand, Shotguns are a very viable weapon on this version.
Hmmm...never really tried shotguns. I've just been sticking to the weapons I've been using in the 360 version (Gallil, AK74-U, AUG, M60). Might have to test them out...

EDIT: Anyone bought, had experience or know of any reviews about this Black Ops Wii controller?

EDIT: More stuff to be fixed by Treyarch:
JD_2020 said:
IN PROGRESS
• Explosives are not visible through walls when using Hacker perk.
• Ninja perk is ineffective at times.
• Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users - increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds
on concrete material types.
• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
• Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning
protection on top of previous updates.
• Previous Map Spamming – players are currently able to vote for the previously played map an unlimited number of times
• Incorrect Prestige Emblems appearing at certain levels
• Sending out text messages to massive groups can cause the game to freeze
• Demolition – getting a loss registered despite earning a win
• Some players experiencing crashes when viewing leaderboards with a high number of Allies
• Stuck in spawn spot in Cracked
• Voice Chat breaks up at times
• More reported cases of "unbound" controls
• Second Chance "invincible glitch"
• Several fixes that should improve performance/lag for host and client
• Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
• Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler
Lots of stuff there that's already been fixed on other versions, but we welcome all improvements :)

Really impressed with the level of patching and fixing on this game. Treyarch, like, actually cares.

Lonely1 said:

That's a shame. I wish it was near zero. Then we'd see who (and which control option) is really better.

HisshouBuraiKen said:

Launch has some really nice spots. Jungle is okay, but you have to be careful and just pick a few spots. WMD looks like it should be a good sniping map, but that large building in the middle obscures the really long sightlines. I still try to snipe on WMD sometimes, but I do significantly better with assault rifles.

Effect

Gotten a few hours into the game. Online is really good and fun. I had connection issues though even after putting my system into the DMZ on my router. I changed my settings to Region and that seemed to help with better connections.

However I'm done with the single player after finishing mission 2 (the prison break). Frame rate issues, voices out of sync, disc drive being worked to hard, and not pretty graphics. The whole thing was just a bad experience. I can appreciate what was being attempted but on the Wii it just didn't work for me. I'm sure it was excellent on the other systems and PC. The engine, for what it was attempting during the single player, I don't think works to well on the Wii. Other games with better design engines for the system can do just as much without these issues. The online doesn't have these elements so it runs with these issues. I just have to worry about the connection.

Maybe my disc drive could be on it's way out of again (it's a launch year system and I had the drive replaced around when Brawl came out due to the grinding sound) and it had trouble reading the disc during the single player. All things being honest and fair I don't see how the Wii version of Black Ops can have the high ratings it's getting. It being CoD was enough I know but still. The overall package so far doesn't compare to the overall package GoldenEye offers when comparing the two games. It's online is great and is significantly better then GE's but that isn't enough to make up for how the single player performed for me. I still give GE the win when comparing the two.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Effect said:
Gotten a few hours into the game. Online is really good and fun. I had connection issues though even after putting my system into the DMZ on my router. I changed my settings to Region and that seemed to help with better connections.

However I'm done with the single player after finishing mission 2 (the prison break). Frame rate issues, voices out of sync, disc drive being worked to hard, and not pretty graphics. The whole thing was just a bad experience. I can appreciate what was being attempted but on the Wii it just didn't work for me. I'm sure it was excellent on the other systems and PC. .

:lol :lol

Nope -__-

gamingeek

Effect said:
However I'm done with the single player after finishing mission 2 (the prison break). Frame rate issues, voices out of sync, disc drive being worked to hard, and not pretty graphics. The whole thing was just a bad experience. I can appreciate what was being attempted but on the Wii it just didn't work for me.

All things being honest and fair I don't see how the Wii version of Black Ops can have the high ratings it's getting. It being CoD was enough I know but still. The overall package so far doesn't compare to the overall package GoldenEye offers when comparing the two games. It's online is great and is significantly better then GE's but that isn't enough to make up for how the single player performed for me. I still give GE the win when comparing the two.

Ye should have listened to me. I traded this POS in for Sonic Colours.

Effect

gamingeek said:
Ye should have listened to me. I traded this POS in for Sonic Colours.

I normally trusted my initial feeling on games but sometimes I slip up. I have ended up trading it in though. All in all I'm only out a few bucks that I'll just consider a long rental since I didn't get it at full price anyway. So no major loss other then my time.

gamingeek

Effect said:
I normally trusted my initial feeling on games but sometimes I slip up. I have ended up trading it in though. All in all I'm only out a few bucks that I'll just consider a long rental since I didn't get it at full price anyway. So no major lost other then my time.

That's good to hear.

Effect

Single player should not be discounted in a game even though it has mulitplayer. One of the things I read, not sure how true it is, that what could be accounting for issues with Black Ops on the Wii is how maps in mp and single player are buffered. They were in MWR but aren't in BO. In BO they're just streamed along with everything else. Considering both were originally made by two different teams with MWR still being a port in the end I do wonder if this has any truth to it. That there would be this difference in the programing as one is IW's and the other is Treyarch's.

MCX

Banned
I may be in the minority but I buy FPS games solely for the MP. I haven't touched a SP campaign in an FPS since Allied Assault.

I really hope the new DLC maps are more sniper-friendly. So far I only bust out my sniper rifle and G11/scope on Array and WMD.

luoapp

Effect said:
Single player should not be discounted in a game even though it has mulitplayer. One of the things I read, not sure how true it is, that what could be accounting for issues with Black Ops on the Wii is how maps in mp and single player are buffered. They were in MWR but aren't in BO. In BO they're just streamed along with everything else. Considering both were originally made by two different teams with MWR still being a port in the end I do wonder if this has any truth to it. That there would be this difference in the programing as one is IW's and the other is Treyarch's.

They were both developed by Treyarch team, but IW won't let them put Treyarch's name on MWR ( only individual's name in the credit). BO's MP map is much bigger and more complex than MWR's, probaly that's why they have to constantly stream from the disk.

MCX

Banned
I landed myself in an XP lobby just a few minutes ago. I sniped some guy and scored like 301924703472384 points instantly, knocking out my total score Lifetime achievement. :lol

I also made lots of monies. Currently sitting at 500k+ CoD points. ;o

Effect

luoapp said:
They were both developed by Treyarch team, but IW won't let them put Treyarch's name on MWR ( only individual's name in the credit). BO's MP map is much bigger and more complex than MWR's, probaly that's why they have to constantly stream from the disk.
That maps didn't seem that much bigger. Some in BO are even smaller I think like Nuketown.

luoapp

Effect said:
That maps didn't seem that much bigger. Some in BO are even smaller I think like Nuketown.

Big maps like Jungle, Grid, Array are not only bigger, but also has more stuff like complex buildings, trees. They have to build the same engine to run those. They also add voice chat support, which means less resource for map.

luoapp

MCX said:
Is it true that only certain headsets work with BO?

You need to use a usb headset like this,
wiipdph.jpg

but why bother, lol:lol

fernoca

Or the white one that only says Wii, I got one (for free :p )is pretty neat. Though just use it when playing with friends.

rpmurphy

Finally got the time to start playing this!

Not sure if I like the maps as much as the ones in MW. The relatively many passages and the lack of chokepoints makes it rather disorienting for me. I guess I'll keep playing to see if that changes. Also, having to purchase custom loadouts is a little overwhelming and kinda hard for me to experiment.

Zombies is awesome and I've been playing more of that! Best record so far on MP is Wave 10. It's hard to stay alive once everyone drops dead, and it's difficult to revive teammates when no one's there to cover you. Anyone know when players automatically revive, since I haven't kept track.

Ally code is 2826-0218-8566 if anyone wants to add me.

Top Bottom