• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Infinite Warfare: Seamless ground to orbit, mission choice, customizable jet

Zomba13

I'm betting this sounds a lot cooler than it is. A lot of these scenes in these games are very scripted, and so this reads to me like it'll be some cool nearly cinematic like transitions, but not much else.

Yeah. The last quoted bit in the OP sounds cool and all but very likely a mission, You fight on ground, need to call in your jet, get in the jet, dogfight in orbit, land on carrier, do stuff, onto next mission. Instead of something like "hop in a jet at any time and fight in orbit and go back down to earth somewhere else whenever you want".

can't wait to see this in motion in live gameplay during Sony's E3 press conference.

Then i'll probably want a beta.

and theennnn i'll decide if I will buy or not.

Yeah. The last quoted bit in the OP sounds cool and all but very likely a mission, You fight on ground, need to call in your jet, get in the jet, dogfight in orbit, land on carrier, do stuff, onto next mission. Instead of something like "hop in a jet at any time and fight in orbit and go back down to earth somewhere else whenever you want".

I think it'll be structured like AW, where around a third of the missions are structured around having those abilities. To me that's preferable than trying to accommodate all playstyles all the time and just feeling unbelievably bland, like Bloops III.

can't wait to see this in motion in live gameplay during Sony's E3 press conference.

Then i'll probably want a beta.

and theennnn i'll decide if I will buy or not.

I wonder if they'll be a dogfight mode; the MP lead didn't say 'no' when asked about space combat in MP.

So it's Colony Wars with some CoD-style FPS gameplay thrown in.

I'm in.

Yeah, almost every year I think "this CoD looks certainly more appealing to me than the previous one, so maybe I will finally buy a game from this series!", and yet I end up not buying it for some reason.

But high-profile space-themed FPS with interesting solo campaign and deep MP? And actual space dogfighting? Well, I guess count me in, this game can really become my CoD entry point in the future. And Colony Wars is my very beloved franchise too, so I get this reference :)

Well, if Destiny cannot truly satisfy my "space epic game" needs, then why not to give Call of Duty a chance?

And this can be a nice return to shape for Infinity Ward too. I understand that people are upset after Ghosts, but the hate for Infinite Warfare is not justified at all. And while it pleases me to see that Raven Software are still alive and kicking, I don't really care about that MW remaster.

Anyway, about time for this series to reach new frontiers, literally. Have hopes for this one.

Epcott

This all sounds amazing, and reminds me of the Warhawk/Starhawk I always wanted (or how I imagined Destiny would initially be).

But I don't trust post Respawn IW... And I don't believe Activision would let them stray too much from the straight forward linear "shoot > set-piece > shoot > set-piece" action that is their bread and butter.

And if this becomes the open world shooter hybrid like a mix of Space Above and Beyond and Starship Troopers... I'll eat Crow Cordon Bleu and buy it.

anothertech

"you can be boots on ground, fighting through the streets of a city on earth, call down your Jackal, get into it, fly up through the atmosphere, engage in a dogfight over the orbit of earth, finish that dogfight, land on the deck of the carrier, get into the carrier, go up to the bridge, and order your ship to go to the next mission and all of it happens seamlessly with no loading screens."
Now tell me there is a mode in multiplayer with this, and I'm sold on this Battlestar Galactica dreamland...

Okay I'm back on board that sounds like a good enough amount of "in space".

I just hope the next one involves Mech suits (I'm talking fucking Gundam here) and aliens.

Speaking of Gundam. I think that's a perfect evolution, make the COD series a Gundam FPS.

Non-linear side missions:

"We are telling a linear story, but along the way you can choose to attack targets of opportunity, and attacking those targets of opportunity will reward you with various items and progression and loot elements that will help you to accomplish the next main mission that you accept from command," he added, noting they "will also reveal optional elements of the story."
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/0...warfare-side-missions-provide-in-game-rewards

H3xum

All of the sudden I don't feel so bad for paying $80 for MW Remastered.

Sounds cool. Carrier acting as a hub world.

Coffinhal

I wonder if they'll use it for some modes in the MP or not.

This. How many times has CoD titles before said similar things like this and it's never really went anywhere

Like what ? They went a little bit non-linear with BLOPS2 but that wasn't like you had an open zone and a space jet you could use.

Jacob Minkoff, Eric Monacelli and Benson Russel are all geniuses from ND who are now working at IW. Cautiously optimistic for this game, please be good.

Hmm interesting, either way I'm looking forward to see how this is pulled off. Looks a little too cliche story wise (like we haven't already seen this done a thousand times like in Gundam and Killzone), but I bet it will be a fun ride nonetheless.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Eh, they always say exaggerated stuff like this and I end up being terribly disappointed after finishing a CoD campaign. Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 were terrible. The last CoD campaign I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 2; MW and World at War were pretty damn good too. I am not looking forward to linear space battles and I really don't know how they can effectively pull this off. Hope they show some good footage at E3.

Eh, they always say exaggerated stuff like this and I end up being terribly disappointing after finishing a CoD campaign. Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 were terrible. The last CoD campaign I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 2; MW and World at War were pretty damn good too. I am not looking forward to linear space battles and I really don't know how they can effectively pull this off. Hope they show some good footage at E3.

On what platform did you play AW?? AWs cimematics and set piece action was nothing short of stunning on new gen systems. Black OpsIII however was shockingly bad by Black Ops and COD standards

Boke1879

again definitely interested and can't wait to see more. E3 should clarify a lot. Either way I'm in. MWR, Zombies, MP, and it seems like they are trying to make the campaign fresh. I can appreciate that.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Kinda confused how this will work out while also being cohesive with the story...umm. I guess I'll just have to watch vids of it detailing it as we get closer to launch.

Still no multiplayer ala BF from how this reads.

Kalentan

On what platform did you play AW?? AWs cimematics and set piece action was nothing short of stunning on new gen systems. Black OpsIII however was shockingly bad by Black Ops and COD standards

I will never understand the hate for the AW SP. It's honestly one of the best in the entire series.

Toa TAK

Banned
AW was pretty good up until the ending. It's like they didn't know to make an ending that felt natural at all. It's a good campaign and it scores brownie points for Sledgehammer.

I will never understand the hate for the AW SP. It's honestly one of the best in the entire series.

Precisely, man the visuals were god tier by COD standards, surpassed every other COD game and even to this day something tells me that even Infinite Warfare might not stand a chance in trumping AW on a visual level.

zsynqx

Jacob Minkoff is working on this? I had no hype for this game after the trailer, but that is definitely interesting.

Coffinhal

Yep, that's the best since MW2 or Black Ops. The plot is simple (and that's good for a COD game) but interesting because of the setting (realistic enough), really good cinematography once again, great job with the storytelling (ONLY ONE PROTAGONIST FINALLY, NO MORE BRIEFING), and this is so goddamn fun. Every level is fun, they are sometimes more open, you have lots of exotic gameplay, level design is brilliant.

And yes it was gorgeous.

Top Bottom