• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 dev blown away by PC piracy

Kabouter

ninjaurbano said:
That is the risk of the business.

Anyway, a lot of the piracy comes from the world outside the most developed countries. And it's hard to convince someone from there to spend the equivalent of 1/4 of the local minimum wage (or even more) to buy a game, when you can easily get it for free, without the assles of importing (in the case of a lot of those games).
No, it does not come from the world outside the most developed countries. Piracy is damned common in the 'developed world' too. And due to the price of internet connections and hardware in undeveloped countries it's not very common there. Really, there are no excuses. The fundamental problem is that piracy is socially acceptable and the risk of legal consequences is minimal.

When I hear these reports I think a few things...

1) How many of those people are from countries where legit games are virtually impossible to find?

2) How many of those people who do live in markets where the game is available would actually have bought it if there was no pirated version available for download?

Yes, there is a lot of PC game piracy. But how many of the people downloading them are doing that in lieu of buying games -- that is, how many people are downloading games they actually would have paid for if they couldn't have found free online? I'd bet that it's much, much less than a lot of people think... oh, I'm sure that plenty of people do do that. But compared to the numbers downloading? I'd be surprised if even a majority of the people downloading the games would ever have paid for them, pirated version availability or no, and it's probably a lot less than that.

Still...

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Even if it was as low as 20%, for a game that's probably sold over 500k that's a pretty big loss for the company, especially since the pirates are still leeching off of their matchmaking service.

This is a good point, even if it's a low percentage that's still a lot of units. The problem can be solved, though, by using CD keys and being vigilant in checking for copied keys and banning those people from the online service, as Blizzard does. Single-player only games... yeah, those are trouble. Not sure if much can be done there. Even so though, I think that those first two points explain most of the piracy... most of the downloaders aren't people who actually could have or wanted to buy the game.

Diablos

Teknopathetic said:
Except it won't. MS has proven that Games For Windows is nothing more than a half-assed attempt to get more people either on GFW Live or Vista and neither appear to be happening at an alarming rate.
GFW is the biggest crock of shit ever.

Kosma

Banned
Tottally OT I know but I guess there are some PC heads here. Would this be a good deal?

Q6600, 2GB Ram (667.....), 8800 GT 512mb, 500GB HDD for 768 euro?

spwolf

Kabouter said:
No, it does not come from the world outside the most developed countries. Piracy is damned common in the 'developed world' too. And due to the price of internet connections and hardware in undeveloped countries it's not very common there. Really, there are no excuses. The fundamental problem is that piracy is socially acceptable and the risk of legal consequences is minimal.

in countries where dsl is expensive, you simply buy game from game shops that sell pirated versions for 2.5 Euro.

Oreoleo

oo Kosma oo said:
Tottally OT I know but I guess there are some PC heads here. Would this be a good deal?

Q6600, 2GB Ram (667.....), 8800 GT 512mb, 500GB HDD for 768 euro?

That's not a bad deal by any means (Particularly for the quad), but you could still do better building your own. If you only want to play games, I'd take out the quad and replace it with a c2d, and get faster ram and you'd probably come out ahead.

spwolf

A Black Falcon said:
When I hear these reports I think a few things...

1) How many of those people are from countries where legit games are virtually impossible to find?

In my city in Bosnia, (5th largest), there are at least 5-6 shops selling original games that nobody buys (almost), and there is also internet distributer who fedex's latest releases same day as you order it.

If thats in Bosnia, I really dont see that there are many countries out there that you cant buy original games... Problem is convincing general public that they should spent 75 Euro instead of 2.5 Euro.

Also, with these latest games, most people playing online are in Western countries (better internet connectivity, more powerful PC's that can play games)...

Kosma

Banned
Orellio said:
That's not a bad deal by any means (Particularly for the quad), but you could still do better building your own. If you only want to play games, I'd take out the quad and replace it with a c2d, and get faster ram and you'd probably come out ahead.

I'd replace the RAM in the future by 3GB 800mhz, also this price includes Vista, which I don't have. Wouldn't the Quad scale better in future games, or is that unfounded reasoning?

davepoobond said:
just like how we thought UT3 would sell more than 100k?

:p

:lol

But that's the US! I know it's anecdotal but where I work on the weekends we have gone through several shippings of COD4 and it's still selling, while UT3 is still on it's first. Number 1 sold article on the PC games front is still the WoW timecard though.

White Man

I bought the game on Steam. More than like 2 months after release, there are still plenty of issues even getting the Steam version of the game to DL and install properly. That, combined with it being 9 gigs, makes me wonder whether double dipping and going for the PC version was even worth the dough.

spwolf

White Man said:
I bought the game on Steam. More than like 2 months after release, there are still plenty of issues even getting the Steam version of the game to DL and install properly. That, combined with it being 9 gigs, makes me wonder whether double dipping and going for the PC version was even worth the dough.

didnt you hear? digital distribution is way to go :).

g23

European pre-madonna
This is why every non mmo PC game must require steam registration and available to DL through steam.

Every PC that comes with Vista from now on should include Steam.

Steam should be integrated into Vista.

As the games get bigger, piracy will get lower, until the internet gets faster.

Also, PC is the most versatile gaming platform. Who's to say that those "pirateers" would have actually bought the game anyway?

lexi

Banned
8f4fd45.jpg

Talk to your publisher or fuck off, random IW developer.

Oreoleo

oo Kosma oo said:
I'd replace the RAM in the future by 3GB 800mhz, also this price includes Vista, which I don't have. Wouldn't the Quad scale better in future games, or is that unfounded reasoning?

The quad will of course be better in the future, but games aren't CPU bottlenecked these days, so IMO the price you could save by getting a C2D now will last you more than long enough to wait for quads to come down in price. Buy a nice P35 chipset mobo with a c2d now, replace with a quad a year and a half from now. And if you want to future proof even more, I am positive that there are P35 boards that have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots. Right now though, DDR3 is too expensive.

And also, as much as I hate to finally admit it, after spending a couple of months with my personal copy, Vista is totally not worth the performance hit it brings to games. Then again I'm using Ultimate, maybe it isn't as bad with Home Basic, but in any case I would stick with XP for the foreseeable future.

Sanjay

"Q6600, 2GB Ram (667.....), 8800 GT 512mb, 500GB HDD for 768 euro"

be round £400 so that converts to 525.695 EUR so think your overpaying.

Kosma

Banned
Thing is I've never build a PC before, sure I can change RAM and the GFX card and all but to build a PC myself and install the OS too? Hmm.

About the Vista/XP thing, I'd rather keep XP too for now, but Dell ships that Quad baby with Vista on it.

Sanjay said:
"Q6600, 2GB Ram (667.....), 8800 GT 512mb, 500GB HDD for 768 euro"

be round £400 so that converts to 525.695 EUR so think your overpaying.

I've scourged the internet for good hardware prices and I don't even come close to building this setup under that price (including Vista). Where are you guys finding these prices?

The Q6600 alone costs 216 euro. The you have the 8800GT, another 206 euro. That's 420 euro already, and you still need Vista, Ram, HDD, Casing+Power Supply etc.

Oreoleo

oo Kosma oo said:
Thing is I've never build a PC before, sure I can change RAM and the GFX card and all but to build a PC myself and install the OS too? Hmm.

About the Vista/XP thing, I'd rather keep XP too for now, but Dell ships that Quad baby with Vista on it.

I've scourged the internet for good hardware prices and I don't even come close to building this setup under that price (including Vista). Where are you guys finding these prices?

The Q6600 alone costs 216 euro. The you have the 8800GT, another 206 euro. That's 420 euro already, and you still need Vista, Ram, HDD, Casing+Power Supply etc.

It's really not so hard to build your own computer compared to even a few years ago. In my experience, the LGA775 socket type for CPU's decreases a lot of incompatibility problems in general compared to older types (478 (487? bah) comes to mind..) but just to get you off on a good start, I would go with..

One of the following C2D's depending on price/performace ~$200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=
Gigabyte P35 DS3L $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
EVGA 8800GT SC'ed $270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319
Kingston 2GB DDR2 1066 $90 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134218

Works out to about 450 euro, and I rounded up on the C2D, the E6750 can be had for 190, the E6550 for even less. For further savings, the Abit P35 board is $10 cheaper than the Gigabyte, and DDR2 800 in lieu of 1066 would save you another $25-50.. There are always corners that can be cut lol, but what I linked to above is really solid stuff. In any case you're looking at roughly 2/3 what you would be paying for the pre-built quad core system.

Edit: And I haven't looked at Ebay, but I'd be willing to bet there's a few people selling off their slightly used 8800GTXs in favor of the new GT if you wanted to go that route..

theBishop

Banned
White Man said:

i know Steam lets you back up the games you buy, but on a 9GB game, will it split it up for you so it'll fit on 2 DVDs?

lexi

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I hope that is in $AU!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of COD4 PC players are using pirated copies, 70% minimum I reckon.

:lol, No, that's actually USD, if you can believe it.

theBishop said:
i know Steam lets you back up the games you buy, but on a 9GB game, will it split it up for you so it'll fit on 2 DVDs?

Yes, it does.

Proc

I wonder how many of those pirates are playing on pirated windows? Software piracy aint new, so why does this dev bother crying and acting surprised about it?

Proc

g23 said:
This is why every non mmo PC game must require steam registration and available to DL through steam.

Every steam game has been pirated; not sure what point you are trying to make?

As for mmos, there are ways to hack them as well. Account theft, sharing accounts with your friends, botting in game currency and profiting/breaking even, etc. Every system can be hacked; it all comes down to electronic ethics and awareness.

firex

my god, no wonder CoD4 got pirated by so many people if the game has such a weak anti-piracy protection system. I don't pirate at all, but the pirate community especially jumps on games with a "dumb" CD key/serial number method that isn't required for online.

I wonder if Blizzard makes money from battle.net, because that (and other centralized authentication servers that simply provide lobbies/matchmaking for free) is the best method for a PC company to prevent piracy for multiplayer.

Draft

firex said:
my god, no wonder CoD4 got pirated by so many people if the game has such a weak anti-piracy protection system. I don't pirate at all, but the pirate community especially jumps on games with a "dumb" CD key/serial number method that isn't required for online.

I wonder if Blizzard makes money from battle.net, because that (and other centralized authentication servers that simply provide lobbies/matchmaking for free) is the best method for a PC company to prevent piracy for multiplayer.
I am sure that Battle.net has paid for itself many times over in terms of the value it creates, and how that value prompts people to actually pay for the content rather than pirate it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Netrunner2k2 said:
Yeah, companies enjoy that stuff.

I'm not too knowledgeable on pirating stuff, but how widely spread was the pirating of Half-Life 2 and other of Valve's Steam-based software?

Depedns on where you're from.

I hear piracy isn't all that bad in the US. Asia-Pacific region is basically the hub. Be it PC, or console. If it plays games, it is or will be hacked.

It's pretty damn rampant in Australia. Across all platforms. Although MS is keeping it in check on the 360 with all the bannings. I know people who had their 360s flashed, and after one banning couldn't be bothered so they just buy legit games now.

I now know a guy who bought my brothers Wii and has a handful of burnt games because he doesn't like the Wii enough to pay for games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sp0rsk said:
Well, thank god there is no PC used games market, imagine what would happen then!
Used games generate revenue for the stores that sell them, which encourage stores to buy and market those games heavily. When was the last time someone at EB asked you to pre-order a PC game?

Piracy also devalues PC games because people don't think they are worth that much if you can get them for free. They mark up used games so much there isn't really a big difference in the eyes of the consumer.

Dunlop

I love the people who blame the publisher for weak pirate protection but when a game does have stong protection a la Bioshock the world has come to a fucking end and it's the publishers fault......

Dunlop said:
I love the people who blame the publisher for weak pirate protection but when a game does have stong protection a la Bioshock the world has come to a fucking end and it's the publishers fault......

Right, because there's no middle ground.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I stopped pirating PC games about 6 months ago. Its really bad for the PC gaming industry. If I can't pay for it, I don't play it. Recently I bought Crysis, The Orange Box, and The Witcher.

Dunlop

Night_Trekker said:
Right, because there's no middle ground.

I don't think there is, that week it took people to crack the game definately raked in more sales from people dying to play the game.

In it's current form, stealing a game is a simple as entering it's name in a BitTorrent engine and people who are not sure just need to read the readme.txt.

FightyF

Banned
DontStopTheTatakai said:
The developer is "blown away" by PC piracy? Really? Tell me he's not that naive.

The title of the thread is misleading, he said that he's blown away by the number of players playing illegally, ie. the ratio of players pirating.

A musician can release a CD and expect some level of piracy, but if those levels get really high (say, 9:1 ratio of people who stole it, compared to those who bought it), they could be surprised.

If he told me that 60% of people playing online, pirated it...I'd be surprised...wouldn't you? I wonder how people would define the "normal" or "expected" number. Personally I'd figure maybe 1/3rd max.

Dunlop

AdmiralViscen said:
I'm surprised they didn't cancel the 360 version due to disc limitations TBH.

Sarcasm?

With the userbase and rabid game buying owners they would have released COD4 on the 360 if the system only did monochrome. The system probably accounts for 60-70% of all sales

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Dunlop said:
Sarcasm?

With the userbase and rabid game buying owners they would have released COD4 on the 360 if the system only did monochrome. The system probably accounts for 60-70% of all sales

call of duty 4 is a meaty installation on the PC as it is. more than 7 gb, for sure.

Top Bottom