• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

Velcro Fly

Finished Mission #8. Apparently got turn pars for both already.

Feel like I've gotten really lucky with how I've selected team members on some missions.

Pumpkin bombs cutting off paths in 8-1 and stunning enemies at the start of my turn to get mowed down by Queequeg is so fucking broken.

And with the Fox I feel like I can do almost anything and she's going to bring the pain. I just got the Ninja pack too. Feel like I'm choosing between raw damage chances with the crit versus absolute mobility/utility/slightly less damage with scout. How much "stealth" goes into the Ninja pack?

yoshiunity

Decided to give my full opinion of the game now since I've been doing it on other sites.

Since last year at E3 when Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. was first revealed, there was something about it that caught my eye that I could not really explain. Was it because of interesting Third Person-Tactical RPG gameplay that seem like nothing of Intelligent System's usual affairs? Or was it because of the art style that made me do a literal double take when I found out that this was a new Nintendo franchise? Whatever the reason, I guess you can narrow it down to the words “Nintendo” and “different”.

Nintendo is not afraid to try something different every now then – unless when their new I.P.s are massively ignored no matter if they push it or not. But Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is a new I.P. that I never thought that they would attempt; let alone in the way that they pulled it off. A tactical RPG that not only has art style that harkens to the days of golden age comics, but fully embraces the aesthetic in a multitude of ways through the cutscenes, writing, gameplay and tone just the name a few.

As I hyped as I was, I will admit that I was a little nervous even after playing the demo. And do not get me wrong, I enjoyed the demo quite a bit. Though while it was a lot of fun, it was also a bit rough to get into at the start and proved to be a bit strict at times. Still I bought the game at launch, revving to go. And after playing it a bit more, I grown to see that this was definitely a game that was not going to hold my hand. And it's that sense of challenge that makes me happy to say, that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. was well worth my time and will have me coming back, flaws and all.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., or Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace, is an game where you play as a n outfit of soldier who origins root from folktales and folklore from all over the world. Characters like Henry Fleming from Stephen Crane's Red Badge of Courage to characters like the “Steel Drivin' Man” John Henry or even Randolph Carter of the H.P. Lovecraft's stories; and many more come together, lead by the 16th President of the United States Abraham Lincoln, to save the world from the otherworldly threat by blowing off some steam and telling E.T. to not "phone" home but “go" home.

In the beginning of every mission, you start on Lincoln's patriotic-decorative airship, the Lady Liberty. It is here where you can talk with him for mission briefings; or to the library where you can take with his associate, John Milton Hay, and look up info on characters, enemies and even the world of the game itself. Occasionally, Chief Engineer Katherine appears on the docking bay to give you advice on how you can advance thorough the maps more efficiently.

But when your not lounging about on the Liberty, it's time to embark into action! You can choose up to four your well-diverse agents and equipment them with a multitude of interesting weapons for offense and strategy, and boilers to help you with mobility and defense. Once you are ready, your agents are sent out onto the field and it's up to you to observe the field and ensure that their mission ends in success.

The whole of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. takes place an pleasant steampunk alternative timeline where if it move rolls, swims or flies, it's powered by blowing off hot air. So if you could not tell from the title, steam is the name of the game... literally! All your weapons, movements and miscellaneous actions are all government by your steam gauge. Depending on how the player approaches the threat, the tank be your greatest asset, or your worse enemy if you are not careful.

If there is one things that I enjoyed about Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., is that it has an impressive sense of challenge. This game is hard, and even harder to you attempt to collect all the collectibles on the map. As I mention in an earlier preview, this game is not for the gun-ho and never fills and never strays to that as it goes on. The very moment you act reckless, the game will punish you for it. You have to tread carefully, keep an eye on your enemies, peek around corners, use your teammates to cover your blindsides and etc. Because running around without a plan equals failure. It is highly recommend to not test your luck.

I have already mention how your actions are dictated by the steam gauge, but another factor that plays into this are the enemies. They do range from easy to hard, but no matter the difficulty, these aliens are not slouches. Get over confident if you wish, and they will tear your team apart like cheap toilet paper. When you are approaching an alien, it's important to observe how it acts instead of running up to it like an idiot. Some aliens are aggressive, others evasive. Some are even blind and won't attack you directly unless they hear you. But no matter what it's important to remember this, "Everything you can do, your enemy can do, too!" You can hit them from around tight corners, they can do the same. You can defend yourself on your turn, so can they. The enemy won't ignore your strengths so it's important to not ignore theirs.

No matter what map it was, I always felt a strong sense of challenge on every map from my foes. But even with this as a factor, the steam gauge and also a lack of a map. I never felt like the difficulty was suffocating. Because of how well the maps where designed. Every map provides you with option and opportunities for protective cover, scouting, high-points, hallways and etc. All of which you can bend towards your favor if you're smart. Having trouble seeing enemy movements? Send an agent upward to a vantage point and keep an eye on the field. Enemy numbers seem too great? Play defensively by taking cover and keeping your agents close. I do wish that the game me a option on where to place my agents at the start of the mission to help capitalize on their skills, but still I was able to make due.

You are never just restricted to only the using the field to gain advantages. Katherine will have hints scattered across the map for you to see and think about – key phrase: “THINK ABOUT” – in case you need a helpful hand. This also replenishes your steam, allowing you to do more on your turn. Also all of your agents possess a special skill that can help you move through the stages easier. To name the few, Henry can move objects, friends and enemies out of his way; John Henry can break objects and Tom Sawyer can scout better than most with his abilities to climb up areas in his reach. With more skills in your disposal from the other characters, it's up to you to consider what agent to pick and how to use them. Using certain skills will consume steam, but using them right can prove to effective enough to buy you some time and lower consumption.

And when options are low, all agents possess a one-time use special move to help give you an edge. All moves feel unique are all pretty entertaining to use. Admittedly, some moves do seem more useful than others. As useful as characters are naturally, there are characters like Scarecrow whose special is a random number generator that doesn't have much use strategic value or Queequeg's special that feels a little under powered even when the correct opportunity presents itself. I tend not to rely on the specials, sure. But these little negatives did feel a bit disappointing.

Another trick you have under your sleeve is the Overwatch function. Whenever you have a proper weapon equipped with enough steam reserved, you can actually engage the enemy on their turn if they appear in your sights. This is a very useful tactic that I made sure to use at all times whenever enemies are close by. It worked wonders for defense and makes the enemies turns feel more engaging.

And yes... those enemy turns. That big fat elephant in room that always seemed to raise some hell every time someone talks about this game. I will not deny that lacking an option to properly speed them up – more than a measly second – is quite a bit of an oversight. Not everyone is a patient person, so they do not want to sit back and wait to have a full control again. However...! I will debate that the length of the turns have been a bit exaggerated. At it's worst, the enemy turns takes around 45 seconds give or take. And depending on how careful you are, the enemy turns will be reduced greatly overtime. And if you are not careful, I hope you like watching enemy after enemy beating your ass one by one, increasing the length of their turns. So have fun with that.

Another common complaint I have heard was the artstyle. I seen a lot of the trailers, and sadly like most 3DS games, trailers spread across on a bigger resolution on a TV or camera just doesn't do it justice. Because I honestly think that the game looks wonderful on the 3DS screen, sporting a style that's a mix of Golden Age comic inking, Bruce Timm and a tiny hint of anime that really pops in-game and compliments the tone and comic book aesthetics.

Now, you know what? With how demanding this game is, I must admit that what I love most about it is the sense of give or take it has. It's truly the main factor that pushes the gamer to be more cautious in their decisions. For example, whenever you use your steam, all of the steam that's selected is not completely removed, but stored in reserved. You see a health pack and your character is low on health. You can pick up the health pack to heal yourself, but you will lose all of your reserved steam you have. If you are not careful this can leave you open to enemy attack and make the entire attempt moot if multiple enemies are in attacking range, ready to beat the tar out of you. Same with the save points that can potentially heal you and refill your steam at the cost of a lot of medals, which will restrict your chance to unlock new weapons.

Now if the difficulty proves to be a bit too much, there are section where you jump into the A.B.E. Mech and take on giant aliens unrestricted by turns. These sections are much easier and do a good job keeping the game from feeling repetitive without overshadowing the core gameplay. However, I will complain that they are a little too easy as even near the end, I never felt like I needed to think about what I was doing. It does feel like I'm just repeating the same dodge, dodge, attack, refill steam pattern over and over again, but it does prove to be fun because it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Anyway, it took me around 25 hours to complete the story campaign, which is great for an tactical RPG of this design to keep it from growing too stale. The story was enjoyable from beginning to end, as threat grew more immense, and journey takes you through places around the world and even a few places that existed in some of the agents' past. The overall tone and writing help complement the game, providing a mix of seriousness and cheesiness that only the golden age era could provide. It won't win any award, or blow you away like Paper Mario and the Thousand-Year Door, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, but it will keep you entertained. If anything, it's just above the pre-Days of Ruin Advance Wars games in terms of quality, I believe. Which were fun stories that weren't all that deep.

Though as fun as the story was, the characters – while enjoyable – felt very flat. Besides their introduction, the agents – besides a few – are reduced to just being standard heroes with barely any time to truly shine. It's a bit of a shame considering how capable Intelligent Systems has proven to be in giving even the flattest of characters interesting roles in their stories. Luckily the characters tend to showcase their personality much better during gameplay, so they are not completely made of cardboard.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. sports an impressive amount of replayability. With an array of weapons and boilers that will require even more playtime to unlock them all. Plus, completing a mission will unlock the options to replay it again, but with optional stipulations such as stronger enemies, no reserved steam and etc. for those who are feeling ballsy and want to earn more medals quicker.

To add the this game's length even more, there's also local and online multi-player which proved to be an surprisingly deep bout between players, both blind by the surroundings until their agents meet. It definitely keeps you on your toes and requires you to think ahead. There's also other modes such as Medal Battle where each player are given five turns to collect as many medals as they can and A.B.E. Mode where two players fight each other in the A.B.E. mechs. These extra modes are nice options, but to me failed in comparison to the intense nature of the regular battle mode. I will play them more than once, but no where near as much as the better option.

The online even supports tournaments, which is nice. But no Friends List is a big oversight in my opinion. You can set up a private tournament so that your friends can play each other, but it feels more tedious on a console that is more capable than this ... It's like if Friend Codes came back from the grave one more time. Hopefully sometime down the line, the Friend's list will be patched in like with Steel Diver: Sub Wars.

Overall, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. does have a few flaws, but it also has a much more right going for it it's favor. It is very weird that it's biggest flaws are problems that you would expect Intelligent Systems to correct, but they do not hinder the game quality as much as one would think. So while it can definitely benefit from a bit more polish, I believe that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is still a very enjoyable RPG with plenty to offer in charm, challenge and replay value.

The sense of challenge it provides is it greatest ace, but since it demands quite a bit from the player, it might prove difficult to others who want something more streamlined. Still, I had a blast. And I hope Nintendo sees it as a success so that this wonderful game can become a wonderful series. If a sequel ever emerges, I'll be one of the first to gladly shout, “Full S.T.E.A.M. ahead!”

Finished Mission #8. Apparently got turn pars for both already.

Feel like I've gotten really lucky with how I've selected team members on some missions.

Pumpkin bombs cutting off paths in 8-1 and stunning enemies at the start of my turn to get mowed down by Queequeg is so fucking broken.

And with the Fox I feel like I can do almost anything and she's going to bring the pain. I just got the Ninja pack too. Feel like I'm choosing between raw damage chances with the crit versus absolute mobility/utility/slightly less damage with scout. How much "stealth" goes into the Ninja pack?
I'm not sure exactly, but I can say that I've had the ninja pack on her ever since I got her, and never looked back... It makes her an absolute killing machine! As for the mobility you give up by forgoing the scout pack, I find it's not really necessary. Just use the Jump Booster to get her up to some high ground from which she can see everything, and then just let her sit there and camp, and you won't need to worry about moving her again! Well, at least not until she runs out of stuff to kill, that is!

Regiruler

Someone is uploading the OST to youtube, but the recording is very poor.

A soundtrack release would be nice.

I'm going to be trying to find online matches tonight. If any of you want to play me, try cycling through the lobbies. They're empty enough that you'll find me.

K-A-Deman

So long as the patch doesn't compromise Enemy AI I'm okay with this.

WTH at eReader being released in November...

Anyone else playing through Merciless mode? It can be tricky getting the turn and full squad bonus, or getting a high score in general.

daydream

Banned
So, uh, either nobody in the team was bothered by the initial speed or they ran out of time.

I have a feeling it was the former since the game seemed finished for a while there. But that would be SO bizarre.

Actually, when is this patch supposed to hit? Because that could be quite telling.

Riposte

Wait turns weren't even that bad in the first place. Now it will be easily faster than some games like it.

L95

Didn't have problems with the turns, for the most part, but speeding them up doesn't hurt at all.

Edzi

Great to hear about the patch, now I'm actually glad my backlog kept me from starting the game until now.

Did they say when the patch was due to come out?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I would never thought they would patch this, has Nintendo ever directly addressed a complaint about a game like this through patch? It wasn't broken, it was a design decision that they just went back on... Betty surprised and happy.

I'll pick this up this summer after I finish xenoblade.

I didn't purchase this game because I didn't know if I would like it, now with the update, is it worth getting? I see on amazon its on sale I can price match to Best Buy maybe get GCU added additionally to it?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think this patch completely changes the design of the game, I think it'll just speed things up a bit. I wonder if this might cause any issues though in the A.I. though...

If they added an overhead map like a lot of people were crying for, that'd to me would be a betrayal of the design.

As for Nintendo doing this before, Smash 4 patched out the vectoring mechanic I believe.

L95

I didn't purchase this game because I didn't know if I would like it, now with the update, is it worth getting? I see on amazon its on sale I can price match to Best Buy maybe get GCU added additionally to it?

In my opinion, it was worth getting before the update. Do you like strategy games like this?

Velcro Fly

9-2 is like the first mission where I have no idea what to do.

Everyone is so spread out. I seemingly fall at random and it pretty much means certain death. I have no idea if this is an actual just reach the goal mission or if I fail it after a certain time.

Seriously every other mission has had a sort of group up and fight together and you can win. This one is like the complete opposite. I've tried like 3 or 4 different team combos and I've struggled in the middle parts. My team gets destroyed and I have no healing and too many aliens to fight.

lol literally just failed it. i have no idea how in 5 turns you get from one side of this map to the other without completely getting wrecked. i lucked into reviving my entire team right near the goal and it still was not enough. good old difficulty spikes I suppose.

edit: looooooool i can hit the one right by the goal from below and blow it up with califia but it won't matter because another one that i can't get to will always make it before i can stop them. seriously this is so frustrating. for sure have to restart the map and i guess pick a better team.

Riposte

Everyone is so spread out. I seemingly fall at random and it pretty much means certain death. I have no idea if this is an actual just reach the goal mission or if I fail it after a certain time.

The panels that you break through have visual cues (and IIRC can be destroyed). I didn't fail it by enemies reaching it, but I assume eventually an bad guy will climb up the goal and you'll fail. It's possible to hang around on the ground, although it is a little more dangerous (unless you kill from above). I think you may have to jump down for some pathways.

There's a deathmatch tournament going on... too bad I'm too busy this weekend to put an honest effort into it!

gunstarhero

Great to hear about the patch, now I'm actually glad my backlog kept me from starting the game until now.

Did they say when the patch was due to come out?

Wondering this as well - was having fun with this game, but took a break. Was planning on going back once the patch hits.

Velcro Fly

I've figured out a way to basically cheese it to get all the gears and not die but I used two all restore save points in the same turn and know which path does not have pitfalls and make sure the Lion is the one on that path.

I mean he can basically solo the map if you know which slot to put him in and have someone else on the other side with save point spam.

edit: Having the Lion on one side and Scarecrow on another side would work. Pumpkin Bomb to block paths and Lion to leap. And leave your beefier characters to fight it out on the ground

WatTsu

Finished the game. What a strange little delight. I'm glad it got made but not terribly confident it did well, sales-wise.

I didn't think the enemy turn stuff was that bad, but hopefully with the patch more people will give it a fair shake.

RagnarokX

Seriously every other mission has had a sort of group up and fight together and you can win. This one is like the complete opposite. I've tried like 3 or 4 different team combos and I've struggled in the middle parts. My team gets destroyed and I have no healing and too many aliens to fight.

lol literally just failed it. i have no idea how in 5 turns you get from one side of this map to the other without completely getting wrecked. i lucked into reviving my entire team right near the goal and it still was not enough. good old difficulty spikes I suppose.

edit: looooooool i can hit the one right by the goal from below and blow it up with califia but it won't matter because another one that i can't get to will always make it before i can stop them. seriously this is so frustrating. for sure have to restart the map and i guess pick a better team.
It's pretty easy. I just used the default party and sent Lion straight to the goal along the left wall while everyone else collected gears. You can see which tiles will break so just avoid them. I collected all 3 gears in every single mission before completing them, which made things harder.

Finished Merciless mode, it's no joke if you want the turn bonus, full squad bonus, and all the gold boxes/high score. Lion, Quee, Califia, and Fox are the best campaign team most of the time.

watershed

Banned
I think I'm gonna pick this up once the patch is live but I also only want to play this on the N3dsxl but can't quite justify the expense yet.

Converse

Banned
Gotta hand it to Ninty for listening to feedback on this one. I wanted to be there day one, but waiting on my New 3DS and the sped-up enemy movement makes it all worth it.

Velcro Fly

9-2 is really easy when you realize that the enemies below that aren't running towards the goal are just a dirty trap. You can easily clear the level 100% of the time as long as you have the Lion. He can leap over gaps in the floor or floorboards that will fall. He's durable enough take attacks and can pump out damage in close range.

On to Mission #10 next. I hear it's hard!

RagnarokX

9-2 is really easy when you realize that the enemies below that aren't running towards the goal are just a dirty trap. You can easily clear the level 100% of the time as long as you have the Lion. He can leap over gaps in the floor or floorboards that will fall. He's durable enough take attacks and can pump out damage in close range.

On to Mission #10 next. I hear it's hard!

You heard wrong.

Regiruler

Sheeeet, need to update when I get the chance.

Also I was better in the tourney. Got 24th and the consolation title, "red handed". Gonna use it since "yellow hat" is lame.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm guessing you have to get the update via eShop as with other titles?

Edit: Oh yup, I see it. Ver. 1.1.0. It's under Recent Arrivals. Only 27 blocks.

Portalbox

I'm guessing you have to get the update via eShop as with other titles?

Edit: Oh yup, I see it. Ver. 1.1.0. It's under Recent Arrivals. Only 27 blocks.

I think they changed that now and you also get the prompt when launching the game from the Home Menu,

TheMoon

From the patch thread:

I just played through the first mission with the patch, and dang, even at just 2x speed with my standard 3DS, enemy turns are much faster. They added a simple speed toggle on the top right of the bottom screen that you can just keep on at all times, it's awesome! This update is going to make my second playthrough a much quicker experience.
Does it speed up the animations for when the enemies actually attack you too? Because that would be kind of balls. The problem with the enemy turns is the time spent looking directly at a wall or absolutely nothing of interest, that's the part that needs skipped.

Nope. The game will go back to normal speed when an enemy attacks you or when you attack them in Overwatch.

Nope. The game will go back to normal speed when an enemy attacks you or when you attack them in Overwatch.
Sorry, but I got this bit half wrong. It does speed up enemy attacks, but will go back to normal speed during Overwatch. Darn my bad memory! I should've played through another mission earlier and made sure, but I was too busy blowing up enemies in the first mission with Califia to notice :(

zroid

Banned
I was going to wait till I got a n3DS before starting this, but with the patch out now... tempted to just dive in

but I'm playing Story of Seasons atm

Top Bottom