• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So once you unlock new boilers, do they automatically become equipped or something? I got 18 cogs so far, so I unlocked a few new ones, but I don't know if the game uses them as I unlock them or if I gotta do it myself?

You change them out on the Equipment Screen, after you select characters for a mission.

Some Boilers can't be used by some characters, though...not sure how to tell, but like the Rocket Boiler I got first can't be used by Lion or John.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You change them out on the Equipment Screen, after you select characters for a mission.

Some Boilers can't be used by some characters, though...not sure how to tell, but like the Rocket Boiler I got first can't be used by Lion or John.
Ah, okay. Guess I haven't unlocked the ability to customize equipment yet. I'll have well over 3,000 medals after the 3rd mission for a new sub-weapon, so maybe it'll unlock then? Or am I missing something?

Watch Da Birdie

I already got an idea for IS to use for the sequel...

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. 2: Electric B.O.O.G.A.L.O.O.

Developed for the Wii U. Now, not only do you have Steam, you have Electricity! By using Electricity, you can briefly use the Wii U Game Pad to get an overhead view for a turn! Boom, people are happy without totally destroying the basic integrity of the game.

Ah, okay. Guess I haven't unlocked the ability to customize equipment yet. I'll have well over 3,000 medals after the 3rd mission for a new sub-weapon, so maybe it'll unlock then? Or am I missing something?

You should have? I believe you can at the beginning of the 3rd Mission.

casiopao

My game still haven't arrived here.T_T But reading the reviews a lot there, i feel that this is one of those where u must enter with a specific mindset to love this game.

Like how i hated the Souls series with all my guts last time as i enter the game with Mon Hun and Dogma mindset and end up screwing almost all my play. After i change my mindset, it is actually more tolerable.(I still never able to finish the game though as i sucka on the game.T_T)

I feel, people coming in this game with mindset looking for Valkyria Chronicle and other Sprg is going to feel limited and even stressed as it is not the normal srpg they wanted.

Hoped that the mixed reviews won't scared all customer away here. At least they should give the demo a try first.^_^

Watch Da Birdie

Yup, just noticed as I was started Mission 3. Looks like I can only change Henry's boiler right now, & it only increases by one.

According to the manual, characters have weights, which changes what Boiler they can use...I forgot where you can see the weight, or see the specifications of the Boiler. Seems it's just trial-and-error seeing who can use which.

Riposte

Does transferring from the demo (think it was around 7000 w/e points) break the game's balance?

I know I got a lot of weapons out of it.

Watch Da Birdie

So...despite the fact the game just came out and it seems like nobody got it, I actually found someone to play online in a random match!

Was pretty fun! They disconnected, but I'm interested to see if any decent competitive community will arise with all the possible options available. It actually gave me 650 Medals...so, I guess if you want to cheat, find a friend to play with, and each of you take turns forfeiting to give the other one a bunch of money!

I know I got a lot of weapons out of it.

I'd say no, because you still have to decide who to give each weapon to, etc. There's no easy grind-to-win options here it seems like you could in Awakening.

You think Intelligent is gonna update this game with a map and and option to speed up the turns?
What does the OT subtitle refer to? It's on the tip of my tongue almost and I can't seem to think of it....

Lincoln Force refers back to a made up game Giantbomb thought of in a podcast.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, I just realized. For 3-2, to get the cog on top of some hanging crates, do I have to go to the top, then use Lion? No way to have him jump from the ground up?

Thoraxes

You think Intelligent is gonna update this game with a map and and option to speed up the turns?

Lincoln Force refers back to a made up game Giantbomb thought of in a podcast.
No map. Maybe AI improvements for the enemy turns though. Maybe they could fast move enemies that won't be in overwatch or combat range with the player given movement properties of each unit or something. That way the mobs won't have to scan a 3D space for being able to fire ater they move each time.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh god, I just realized. For 3-2, to get the cog on top of some hanging crates, do I have to go to the top, then use Lion? No way to have him jump from the ground up?

Yes.

Actually, a good strategy for that level is to do that, and then use Lion to jump near the Boss. Lion can take quite a few of his hits, and if you have the Shuriken Shooter, use that on the weak point as it'll hit multiple times.

Lion is the V.I.P. it seems, so many Cogs only he can get. And in 4-1, I never figured out how to get anyone else to the goal except Lion since there was a gap blocking the path, although maybe I had to break a box somewhere to find a path.

I'm guessing though how much it seems you need him will decrease once you get a fifth character, and you're not always guaranteed to have Lion. Or, so I hope.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Okay, I'm SERIOUSLY not digging the inconsistency between stages that do & don't have reoccurring enemies that can re-appear out of nowhere & take you by surprise.

Does the game give any suggestions as to who should which weapons & boilers? Some seem a bit more obvious (I unlocked one that should obviously be used my the team member I unlocked in Mission 4).

@Watch Da Birdie: I JUST unlocked the Shuriken Shot after beating the boss. At 3,800 medals now.

Brakke

Banned
Really agonizing about this one. I want so much to like it but that demo man. Preeeeetty rough. Hope it drops price quickly. :/

What does the OT subtitle refer to? It's on the tip of my tongue almost and I can't seem to think of it....

Giant Bomb used to joke about Lincoln Force. I think it was the first Carbon Neutral Games joint. I have a Lincoln Force tshirt somewhere but I never wear it because it's completely impossible to explain, not worth it.

Watch Da Birdie

Maybe to the latter, if possible.

No way are they gonna add a map though. It takes away a major part of the game which is using audio-visual cues.

Anyone have the dimensions of the poster that GS handed out with the game? Don't have it with me, but I'd like to get it framed.

I hope it's not another odd sized one that Nintendo usually prints.

Watch Da Birdie

Damn, 4-2 is where the kiddy gloves come off as far as I'm concerned. I feel that Mission is gonna be the breaking point for a lot of folks...

Tom is legit though. Full tank of Steam, his main attack costs 1 drop and can stun foes, and he can hop on ledges so you don't have to rely on Lion's Lion Launch...speaking of Lion, WTF were Intelligent Systems thinking with that one portrait of his. You'll know EXACTLY what I mean when you see it...

Oh, when you replay Missions, you're told the Turn Bonus now. Also, you can play challenges such as No Steam/HP Bars, no backtracking, and super-hard enemies to multiply your Medals. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet...

The games been fun so far, just completed the first mission a while ago which is farther than I got on the demo. I personally don't mind the long enemy phases as my expectation is to chill while playing the game, so it's not a bother here. Although I could see an option to fast forward through it would be nice if you were so inclined to do so.

I tried a little online and pretty much got my ass handed to me, as expected, but not to terribly, I managed to kill 3 of the other person's team before they took me out completely haha. I didn't even know there was an online component, this makes me happy :)

TheMoon

Is it worth playing the demo before starting the game up? What gets carried over?

It's among the first things mentioned in the OP.

Medals.

Yeahhh, you're probably right..... but it does sound pretty brutal haha

You're supposed to pay attention during the enemy turn. It's not for you to lay back and skim the newspaper. Obviously not every enemy move is important but you'll be able to avoid walking right into a trap if you pay close attention to the movements. On later missions it should be much much more useful and necessary than in the early missions like those in the demo.

Flynn...well, he's the "Mario", but nothing special. I'm not sure if you have to put him on your team each time, as I've yet to get five characters...

You don't. Being able to have a complete Fire Emblem squad should've given it away. Nobody is mandatory.

TheMoon

Lincoln Force is an old Giant Bomb meme/in-joke and "Welcome to Earth!" is probably better known in its misheard form "Welcome to Earf!" and fittingly patriotic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

No because the lack of a map is a conscious design decision. The director explained in detail why this game doesn't have one at the E3 reveal roundtable.

GameE

God I hate gamestop. I just got a cancellation email that my order was cancelled. I have NEVER had a problem like this with any other store before. Now Im not getting the Zelda pin. Oh well, just going to wait for a sale now. >_>

L95

That sucks.

My GS had the game, but they guy who worked there before the one on shift put the games in a weird place and he couldn't find them for a bit.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I found out you can drop Flynn.

The game has a neat attention to detail when it comes to your squad. During the cutscenes if a character talks who you don't have in your party, it has them talk over the Wireless.

Yeah, I'm sure there's technical reasons for why it is the way it is, but I feel like if there's going to be any future for this series (particularly on a handheld), they need to come up with optional quick turn toggles. If skipping entirely is out of the question for both technical and fundamental design choices (I.e. they feel it's important to watch enemy turns), then they've got to come up with something creative to at least be able to fast forward through some/most of the enemy turns.

And the counterpoint that watching closely the enemy turns is going to be more important when complexity ramps up later in the game is hardly a good counterpoint when the early game and demo are putting some people off to the degree that they are. It's not a dealbreaker just yet, but I'll admit that upon replaying some of the demo levels and progressing a little past what I played in the demo, it's getting more and more frustrating to sit there watching practically nothing happen for as long as it's going on.

Watch Da Birdie

Just saw this got a shout-out in Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 of the week, honestly was not expecting that. :0

I hope this gives the game a bit more spotlight so more people will try it out.

TheMoon

And the counterpoint that watching closely the enemy turns is going to be more important when complexity ramps up later in the game is hardly a good counterpoint when the early game and demo are putting some people off to the degree that they are. It's not a dealbreaker just yet, but I'll admit that upon replaying some of the demo levels and progressing a little past what I played in the demo, it's getting more and more frustrating to sit there watching practically nothing happen for as long as it's going on.

I keep bringing it up for people who've been led to believe that you can just go watch TV during the enemy turn. Earlier today I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the game where they, obviously of course, complain about the long enemy turns and suggest doing something else during the enemy turns which I worry might give people the wrong impression. Gauging how far the enemy might be away or something like that, even through walls is probably better learned early. It's not meant to excuse that they couldn't manage to make this feel less frustrating. Even if it is technically useful they failed in getting that point across or making it painless given that eeeeeeeeeveryone complains about it.

I keep bringing it up for people who've been led to believe that you can just go watch TV during the enemy turn. Earlier today I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the game where they, obviously of course, complain about the long enemy turns and suggest doing something else during the enemy turns which I worry might give people the wrong impression. Gauging how far the enemy might be away or something like that, even through walls is probably better learned early. It's not meant to excuse that they couldn't manage to make this feel less frustrating. Even if it is technically useful they failed in getting that point across or making it painless given that eeeeeeeeeveryone complains about it.

And I think you misunderstand that maybe it's not that people are incapable of understanding the intent here, but just that regardless of the "why," it comes off as bad design in spite of your citation of designer roundtable discussions. Players are not required to factor in why the designer did what they did when formulating an opinion about whether or not it works well.

zroid

Banned
yeah I was sort of OK with the waiting while playing the demo since it just gave me time to switch between party members to check the surroundings

but when replaying levels it's going to be a pain, no doubt.

TheMoon

And I think you misunderstand that maybe it's not that people are incapable of understanding the intent here, but just that regardless of the "why," it comes off as bad design in spite of your citation of designer roundtable discussions. Players are not required to factor in why the designer did what they did when formulating an opinion about whether or not it works well.

I specifically mentioned it's not meant to excuse it for that reason. I think I already addressed your response to my post in the original post itself.

TDLink

Hitting select does in fact speed up the enemy turns significantly. The thing is you need to hit select for each enemy as hitting it only speeds up the enemy that is currently taking a turn. It is a very puzzling way to "fast forward" but at least it's something. Basically whenever you see the bar on the "Enemy Movement" pause, hit select again. Or you can just spam select.

But yeah, there is a very noticeable difference when compared to not using it.

TheMoon

Hitting select does in fact speed up the enemy turns significantly. The thing is you need to hit select for each enemy as hitting it only speeds up the enemy that is currently taking a turn. It is a very puzzling way to "fast forward" but at least it's something. Basically whenever you see the bar on the "Enemy Movement" pause, hit select again. Or you can just spam select.

Okay then, I'll update the OP with that info in a bit. Thanks for confirming!

Edzi

I've yet to start the game myself, but it sounds like reviewers weren't aware of this feature at all. Did they just not bother to find it? It sounds like it at least partially alleviates their primary complaint.

zroid

Banned

I need to try that

TDLink

I've yet to start the game myself, but it sounds like reviewers weren't aware of this feature at all. Did they just not bother to find it? It sounds like it at least partially alleviates their primary complaint.

I'm not surprised they didn't find it. As far as I can tell the game does not tell you about it anywhere (at least early on). When you hit select it just makes a sort of click sound so I can see a reviewer pressing it once (if they even tried pressing it) and thinking it didn't really do anything.

Watch Da Birdie

Man, the Mine Gun is pretty fun to use.

Found out when you throw the mine down, those blind Aliens that move by sound follow it...so, you can throw in a place making the aliens move towards it, hitting other foes in their way, and then get caught in the explosion.

TheMoon

I'm not surprised they didn't find it. As far as I can tell the game does not tell you about it anywhere (at least early on). When you hit select it just makes a sort of click sound so I can see a reviewer pressing it once (if they even tried pressing it) and thinking it didn't really do anything.

I just tried it in the demo on Map 1-2. Timed 26s without pressing anything on the very first enemy turn. Then restarted the map, spammed select during the turn, heard the "click" sound and ended up with 25s. Not worth it so far.

edit: just did it again with spamming: 24s
edit2: and again without pressing anything: 24s

I specifically mentioned it's not meant to excuse it for that reason. I think I already addressed your response to my post in the original post itself.

Sorry, I've just kind of seen you defend the intent enough that the initial part of the response read as disagreement. And I'm on mobile and have a kid screaming at me so I typed up that response quickly. Your post did address my statement fairly.

Top Bottom