• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

TDLink

I just tried it in the demo on Map 1-2. Timed 26s without pressing anything on the very first enemy turn. Then restarted the map, spammed select during the turn, heard the "click" sound and ended up with 25s. Not worth it so far.

edit: just did it again with spamming: 24s
edit2: and again without pressing anything: 24s

Not sure what to tell you, but it's worked for me. I never tried it on the demo, only in the full game.

bart64

Banned
Let's assume I'm the most patient player ever, like I don't mind that my opponent takes forever with their turn, and I take that time to consider all my options and I'm fine with that. What is it exactly that's so great about this for the people who love it? I played the demo and I'm curious how the game plays out after that: more verticality, more crazy weapons, more cerebral maps or longer faster maps, how cringe worthy is the writing, does it ever become its own cohesive thing?

Meh, if you want to take issue with certain points of the review, that's fine. But I don't think focusing on THAT point is particularly pertinent. Perhaps you might want to draw from this that he didn't understand the systems and thus struggled with the game more than some here will, and that might be fair (can't say myself as I'm not far at all). However, he clearly spent a substantial enough time with the game to formulate an opinion. I doubt playing the last mission would have led to a change of heart

Justin McElroy is someone who in the past has constantly used the "respect the players time" thing as a reason for disliking a game.

I understand that point but he specifically shows an abnormal sensitivity to it. If a game isn't constantly feeding a skyrim-like stream of things to do and basically waiting on the player every second, he will not like it.

Now if you are some one who has a modicum of patience and are okay with a game not being a constant stream of attention grabbing stuff, please disregard his reviews in total.

TheMoon

Not sure what to tell you, but it's worked for me. I never tried it on the demo, only in the full game.

I'll be sure to try it in the full game, too. Either way I've added your post to the FAQ in the OP.

Justin McElroy is someone who in the past has constantly used the "respect the players time" thing as a reason for disliking a game.

I understand that point but he specifically shows an abnormal sensitivity to it. If a game isn't constantly feeding a skyrim-like stream of things to do and basically waiting on the player every second, he will not like it.

Now if you are some one who has a modicum of patience and are okay with a game not being a constant stream of attention grabbing stuff, please disregard his reviews in total.

Yea he's one of those people with whom it's easy to know if you tend to agree with their assessments or should outright disregard their opinions. For me it's the latter with him specifically. I have him filed away as someone who like to exaggerate for comedic effect in the past often enough to come to that conclusion.

Sorry, I've just kind of seen you defend the intent enough that the initial part of the response read as disagreement. And I'm on mobile and have a kid screaming at me so I typed up that response quickly. Your post did address my statement fairly.

8b892033504c19893998458u9v.gif

Riposte

The most shameful thing a reviewer can do is channel all their frustration into using the review as revenge against the game. It's one thing to dislike a game, another to feel resentment towards it. And the latter reveals possible shortcomings of the player. Sounds like Elroy.

A few missions in. I've be doing no saves/restores. I have to imagine they trivialize the game unless you are aiming solely for speed runs (meh). I guess I don't really know first hand, but I figure it would have the same effect orders+base capping does in Valkyria.

Enemy turns are not discernibly worse than Valkyria as far as I can tell. I guess it's situational (how many active enemies), but that was true for Valkyria too.

I really wish Lion's jump was more prevalent lol. It's a really cool mechanic. The map layouts are pretty interesting, but you need jump (and explosives) to make the most of it. Every map seems to have major shortcuts you can reach with Lion, but then you miss out on gears or whatever.

One thing I don't quite get is the exact conditions in which overwatch triggers on enemies. Perhaps the range is shorter?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Let's assume I'm the most patient player ever, like I don't mind that my opponent takes forever with their turn, and I take that time to consider all my options and I'm fine with that. What is it exactly that's so great about this for the people who love it? I played the demo and I'm curious how the game plays out after that: more verticality, more crazy weapons, more cerebral maps or longer faster maps, how cringe worthy is the writing, does it ever become its own cohesive thing?

You start to get a lot of interesting options and characters with unique abilities, as well as multiple sub-weapons you can mix-and-match.

Right now for example I have a dude who can throw grenades and lay mines, a super-quick scout who can stun enemies with a boxing gloe and target weakpoints with his crossbow, a lion who can take tons of hits, jump across gaps, and shoot out shurikens to hit multiple foes, and a dude who launches robotic, explosive penguins that charge forward and can be used to scout out the path as well.

Plus the enemies become more complex with different behaviors, you have to take in what's above you as a factor (for example in a recent map I played, there was a giant blimp which I thought at first was just decoration---turns out it could shield you from one enemy attack from above before it popped), and the maps usually have nooks and crannies to explore, although you have to decide if you're willing to risk it to wait for enemies to catch up to you, or if you just wanna get to the goal ASAP.

It gets pretty intense, although I've yet to get a Game Over. You can use multiple mid-point save and heal spots, and they make things easy---you find enough money that you're good to use them more often that not, and while money unlocks new weapons, you can replay the easier maps, or earn it in multiplayer, so you shouldn't be too stingy about using them if you need to.

Writing's really nothing special. Each characters has a decent variety of quotes depending on situations, and the cinematic cutscenes are short and sweet, right now I'm just at the "Character Introductions" chapters so I don't know if things pick up after introductions are out of the way.

I'm surprised at the little to no posts in this thread regarding STEAM.

I thought there would be more groundswell for this game, considering it comes from Int. Sys.

The game isn't reviewing well?

Regiruler

People seem wary of the game for various reasons, and the somewhat mixed reviews confirmed the need to be wary for some.

Personally I've only just got to buckingham palace, as playing on my 3DS for extended periods of time when I'm not fully rested tends to murder my eyesight.

Draxal

I thought there would be more groundswell for this game, considering it comes from Int. Sys.

It's a bit on the harder side compared to say fire emblem awakening and there's no grinding/difficulty changes to make up for it.

The aesthetics are much different.

There's just so many games out right now.

People are waiting for the Robin/Lucina amiibos to play as them.

TheMoon

While the sentiment is not unanimous, the game is generally reviewing well, there is just a universal sticking point for everyone that is weighted differently between reviewers.

It's a bit on the harder side compared to say fire emblem awakening and there's no grinding/difficulty changes to make up for it.

Well you can grind Medals to unlock weapons either in multiplayer or by replaying missions.

spiritfox

People seem wary of the game for various reasons, and the somewhat mixed reviews confirmed the need to be wary for some.

Personally I've only just got to buckingham palace, as playing on my 3DS for extended periods of time when I'm not fully rested tends to murder my eyesight.

I would pick it up now but it's coming out at a bad time for me. Too many good games in the last few weeks.

Riposte

I would pick it up now but it's coming out at a bad time for me. Too many good games in the last few weeks.

Yeah, Monster Hunter 4 and Majora's Mask are overshadowing this game and it wasn't going to make much waves to begin with (I'd blame the art style more than most things).

zroid

Banned
not saying there aren't other valid reasons for people to be disinterested in this game, but I think there has been an abundance of negativity surrounding it since its unveiling largely because of the visual style and "steampunk" concept which many believe to be played out.

it's really hard to shake first impressions, especially for a portable new IP which doesn't get a whole lot of marketing and exposure

So I just got done fighting the alien Queen at the University... dang, that thing was hard! Difficulty definitely seems like it's starting to ramp up now...

bart64

Banned
Plus the enemies become more complex with different behaviors, you have to take in what's above you as a factor (for example in a recent map I played, there was a giant blimp which I thought at first was just decoration---turns out it could shield you from one enemy attack from above before it popped), and the maps usually have nooks and crannies to explore, although you have to decide if you're willing to risk it to wait for enemies to catch up to you, or if you just wanna get to the goal ASAP.
Nice, this is the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Sounds like they poured a lot into level variety, which was what I liked about advanced wars. maybe even too much, it seems like a lot to process all the new characters and mechanics.

I don't know about other people but I didn't buy it because I just bought a new 3ds and two games and two wii u games on top of that. If you have both nintendo systems right now you broke.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH MY GOD, Mission 4's ending.

YOU ALREADY GET TO PILOT THE GIANT STEAMPUNK ABE LINCOLN ROBOT!! THIS IS JUST LIKE THE ROBOT FIGHTS FROM THE N64 MYSTICAL NINJA/GOEMON GAMES!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The lack of an overhead map is the whole point of the design and what makes this an awesome and unique take on the Xcom/JA formula. I think it's awesome personally.

TheMoon

The lack of an overhead map is the whole point of the design and what makes this an awesome and unique take on the Xcom/JA formula. I think it's awesome personally.

Completely agree. That's why it's a TBS/TPS hybrid and just a straight up TBS game.

THIS IS JUST LIKE THE ROBOT FIGHTS FROM THE N64 MYSTICAL NINJA/GOEMON GAMES!!

WHAT! THOSE GAMES HAD THAT??? :O :O :O

Now I want them even more! :(

Durden77

So I just picked up this game, but I haven't opened it yet and am just checking out some reviews. I really liked the demo only got to a party of two, but stopped playing it before getting three people because I assumed I'd buy it. I love shit like XCOM so much, and this reminded me a lot of that. Are people really digging it? Is it worth the full price? Also I heard that the demo gives you some sort of special weapon. Is it really worth playing through for that? Cause I really dislike continuing to play demos when I know I'll want the full game.

TDLink

So I just picked up this game, but I haven't opened it yet and am just checking out some reviews. I really liked the demo only got to a party of two, but stopped playing it before getting three people because I assumed I'd buy it. I love shit like XCOM so much, and this reminded me a lot of that. Are people really digging it? Is it worth the full price? Also I heard that the demo gives you some sort of special weapon. Is it really worth playing through for that? Cause I really dislike continuing to play demos when I know I'll want the full game.

Yes the game is a lot of fun. If you liked the demo you'll like the full game, but the demo is literally just the first few maps of the full game so don't feel like you need to play it further. The special gun from the demo is not really worth it but I'm not even sure if you need to "beat" the demo to get it or just had to have played it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like I found a decent way to grind for medals in Mission 4.

Mission 4-X, the robot fight, is its own separate mission. You can keep replaying it & if you beat it under 30 seconds (my best time is 11 seconds), you earn 100 medals on top of the 80 for clearing it, then whatever health you have left over. So you can earn 280 coins each play if you're good enough, but still average about 260-270 if you're only hit once or so. Basically, dodge first attack & build steam, land 3 punches, use special, you win.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm up to mission 4. It absolutely boggles my mind how some reviewers are slamming this game. It is incredibly fun and a fantastic tactical game.

If you like XCom/Jagged Alliance/etc, I can't recommend this enough.

They really should teach you immediately about pressing select to speed enemy turns though.

TDLink

I was kinda hoping the secret character would
just straight up be Lincoln
. But I guess this is a good second option.

Riposte

The game hasn't been difficult so far without save points (even the time-bonus mechanic is fairly lenient), but I'm only just starting mission 4 (counting gears needed for unlocks, I presume there will be around 30 individual maps, 2-3 per mission). The winning feature here is the level design (and to a lesser extent, your distinctive abilities). I'm really starting to appreciate the placement of everything, from steam pick-ups to golden boxes. A lot of effort has been put into these maps, especially when you compare it to the lackluster Awakening. Like I said, you really need Lion to get the most of it; since he also has some of the best stats, I don't see myself ever voluntarily dropping him from my team.

On the most recent map, I was able to get all the coin stacks/gold boxes, the three gears, and wipe the floor with the enemy within the time limit (albeit with 2-3 test runs, which can more time consuming than most games). Was pretty satisfying, but what I particularly liked was a sudden moment of ingenuity, where I used Henry to kick John just far enough so he could blown up the last gold box, so that Lion could pick up the coins before killing the boss. Otherwise, I'd have to wait a whole turn and take some damage, maybe missing the speed bonus.

Anyway, I'm mildly excited that this game will continue to introduce new stuff and get harder. I could see it being better than Valkyria Chronicles if it plays its cards right.

I still don't quite understand why an enemy can run up a certain distance (let's say close enough where my cursor appears when controlling) and shoot me, without overwatch kicking in. I feel like I'm missing something obvious about that mechanic, and it's a fairly important mechanic.

EDIT: I need to do the multiplayer... Can amiibo be used for it?

EDIT: Another thing, how exactly does the Rocket Pack boiler work? I'm not sure if it is passive or not (don't notice a difference).

Up to Chapter 4, I'm having a great time with this one. It's sort of a denser, more concentrated version of Valkyria Chronicles, specifically in regards to the map design. The mechanics are very solid and the presentation is top-notch. The more metal elements of the soundtrack really surprised me in a positive way as well, to the point where I found myself humming a tune from the game a few hours after playing.

Overall I still prefer a game like FE:A but that should be expected given how much I adore that game. Code Name Steam may not have as much mechanical complexity and supporting systems but what's present is very well thought out and interesting.

TheMoon

Sorry if this has already been posted, but apparently there's
another secret character.

SPOILERS:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/806921-code-name-steam/71405494
http://i.imgur.com/OHWkPIP.jpg

:O

Wow, no this is the first time it's brought up. That is pretty rad.

I still don't quite understand why an enemy can run up a certain distance (let's say close enough where my cursor appears when controlling) and shoot me, without overwatch kicking in. I feel like I'm missing something obvious about that mechanic, and it's a fairly important mechanic.

Note the stuff that's highlighted:
Overwatch: This one's familiar to all the XCOM players. You save a bunch of steam from your turn to fire your overwatch-compatible weapon during the enemy turn if one of them enters your line of sight. The big difference here is that the enemy has a chance to evade or attack first since your characters track the target to line up the shot. The same is true for the enemy's overwatch, btw. Note: Overwatch remains active if a target enters line of sight of an enemy and triggers an overwatch attack. If the target moves again, overwatch will also trigger again.

Meaning, if your character isn't looking RIGHT AT THE ENEMY they need to turn to them, line up the shot/aim and then their overwatch shot triggers. You benefit from that same mechanic if an enemy is on overwatch so you can still hit them before they turn to you or you can even quickly retreat and hide.

npa189

Not too far in, but I'm really enjoying it. So am I just not remembering correctly, but weren't xcom's waits equally as long? I spent a lot of time looking at "alien activity" so why are so many picking on this game?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, anyone know where I can find the 3rd gear in 5-3? I think I found the objective, but I wanna find that cog first so I don't have to replay the entire mission over again just to get to this area.

Edit: To be more exact,
I'm in the basement & found that purple monster, which I guess I have to beat, & I have the Blue gear from the top of the stair case & the Red gear from on the left side of the house, top part

TheMoon

Not too far in, but I'm really enjoying it. So am I just not remembering correctly, but weren't xcom's waits equally as long? I spent a lot of time looking at "alien activity" so why are so many picking on this game?

They kinda sorta were. Thing is, in XCOM had a lot of inactive enemies hidden behind fog of war that were stationary to a certain position until they were discovered and thus didn't factor into the Alien Activity. On top of that, the camera wasn't stuck behind one character's shoulder and panned over to the active aliens during their move which made it seem less boring or frustrating while technically not being much different from what we have here. In CNS there is no fog of war so even enemies that are set to not move until they have discovered you are factored into the enemy turn plus a lot of the time, from what I've seen, there are just more of them active on the map at any given time and they tend to be coming after you deliberately on many occasions. To be fair, those are just still my demo impressions plus some video from later missions I've seen on the net so far. It's all a bit weird. There is definitely a perception issue at play, though.

Coketruck

Ugh... I struggled through 5-1 with only one character left alive, started 5-2 but then decided to call it a night instead. I accidentally chose "Return to the Liberty" in the menu and now I have to freaking re-do the slog that was 5-1.

Damn it.

I started this the other night and got hooked. Had to keep doing "just one more" I don't agree with the lower scored reviews at all and what they stated. Not that it matters, but I watched the game trailers review and that showed me enough to pick it up and what I was getting into.

I'm having a huge amount of fun with this game. At first I didn't like the aesthetics but now they've grown on me, along with inane writing. The difficulty is just right, maybe a tad harder would be nice. I've been completing all the missions with all units alive and within the turn count (is there a way to see the turns needed in order to get the bonus? I hate having to just bum rush if I don't have to). Just beat the 6th mission. If you're having problems with the difficulty, then using the save points to restore all units health and steam really makes the game easy with being able to basically take 2 turns in one for all units. I'd avoid doing this if you want a much more difficult experience.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this game. I was a bit scared after seeing the review scores, but I should have known not to trust reviews of Intelligent System's games after Radiant Dawn got robbed. My only wish left for this game is that I really hope I get a sniper unit at some point.

Vena

Man, I am having a blast with the game and the strategies I'm developing for efficient, super-kill runs. The long turns can really ruin the pacing at times but on the later levels, it'd be a nightmare to play without the knowledge of where anything/everything was as you get Overwatch sniped so much.

NateDrake

They kinda sorta were. Thing is, in XCOM had a lot of inactive enemies hidden behind fog of war that were stationary to a certain position until they were discovered and thus didn't factor into the Alien Activity. On top of that, the camera wasn't stuck behind one character's shoulder and panned over to the active aliens during their move which made it seem less boring or frustrating while technically not being much different from what we have here. In CNS there is no fog of war so even enemies that are set to not move until they have discovered you are factored into the enemy turn plus a lot of the time, from what I've seen, there are just more of them active on the map at any given time and they tend to be coming after you deliberately on many occasions. To be fair, those are just still my demo impressions plus some video from later missions I've seen on the net so far. It's all a bit weird. There is definitely a perception issue at play, though.

I think if Code Name: STEAM had a wider map view during enemy moves, people wouldn't have as many complaints about the wait time. I feel that the limited viewing angle combined with the turn length is what people are truly dissatisfied with. Had we been able to see each enemy move freely and get a good look at the entire map during these sequences, then it would make the wait more tolerable.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think if Code Name: STEAM had a wider map view during enemy moves, people wouldn't have as many complaints about the wait time. I feel that the limited viewing angle combined with the turn length is what people are truly dissatisfied with. Had we been able to see each enemy move freely and get a good look at the entire map during these sequences, then it would make the wait more tolerable.
Agreed. It depends on the map, but when I can actually see my enemies thinking & moving, it's a bit more tolerable because I have to strategy "okay, where are they gonna move? Are they coming towards me? Will they get into range to attack?", but when you're in an area that's much more maze-like (such as in Mission 5), then it's more frustrating because you feel like you can't do anything, so you're just sitting there waiting for something to happen, because the enemies are in so many places that you can't see them.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm interested to see if this will get any DLC, some new weapons, Mission maps (both single and multiplayer), and even another character or 2 would be neat...

I'm also hoping Nintendo has an actual S.T.E.A.M. comic, or digital comic, planned. Seems obvious they would do that, no? I feel like if this came out during the days when we got actual manuals, there would've been a comic included in it.

I'm interested to see if this will get any DLC, some new weapons, Mission maps (both single and multiplayer), and even another character or 2 would be neat...

I'm also hoping Nintendo has an actual S.T.E.A.M. comic, or digital comic, planned. Seems obvious they would do that, no? I feel like if this came out during the days when we got actual manuals, there would've been a comic included in it.

I hope that they do DLC with new characters, but I want them to make sure to respond to the problems people found before they move onto designing new content.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, although I have a feeling if they're planning updates, it won't be till around the May worldwide release, so us American Patriots are getting the short-end of the stick.

Also, who else here hasn't dropped Lion in any Mission? Dude's easily the most powerful character I've gotten yet---Boss Doggie will be happy with this game.

NateDrake

Agreed. It depends on the map, but when I can actually see my enemies thinking & moving, it's a bit more tolerable because I have to strategy "okay, where are they gonna move? Are they coming towards me? Will they get into range to attack?", but when you're in an area that's much more maze-like (such as in Mission 5), then it's more frustrating because you feel like you can't do anything, so you're just sitting there waiting for something to happen, because the enemies are in so many places that you can't see them.

Exactly. Being able to see enemy movements and then decide on your plan of attack makes viewing the moves hold some significance. Just being told something is moving but you can't see where is basically filler.

Yeah, although I have a feeling if they're planning updates, it won't be till around the May worldwide release, so us American Patriots are getting the short-end of the stick.

Also, who else here hasn't dropped Lion in any Mission? Dude's easily the most powerful character I've gotten yet---Boss Doggie will be happy with this game.

I think I'll keep him. I want my party to be Lion + WOC :v

Top Bottom