• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. v 1.1.0 update OUT NOW (option to speed up enemy turns 2x/3x!!!)

TheMoon

So reviewers should re-review BF4 and Driveclub?

Actually, yes. If there have been substantial updates that addressed complaints in the original reviews, that is. Reviewers shoul've also re-reviewed Lost Planet 2 since that game also got a significant update that addressed, fixed, and changed a lot but reviews remained the static, outdated and useless things that they were when they were written.

Been waiting for this. I did appreciate the slow methodical enemy turns though.
or maybe they shouldn't have released a slow fucking game in the first place

In a game where one mistake can wipe out your character and/or whole team I'd rather take my time.

Actually, yes. If there have been substantial updates that addressed complaints in the original reviews, that is. Reviewers shoul've also re-reviewed Lost Planet 2 since that game also got a significant update that addressed, fixed, and changed a lot but reviews remained the static, outdated and useless things that they were when they were written.

They would still find the lack of a map to be a problem.

Doukou

So can I only do 2x with my regular 3ds?
Makes me more interested but I
Edit: never mind saw it was a button on 3DS

This should be useful for those times when enemies on the other side of the map are running in circles doing nothing in particular.

data

so recently I wanted to buy Vaklyria Chronicles, but until this thread I didn't knowi t had long enemy turns, and now when I buy it I'll probably notice the long enemy turns even more.

Malus

I don't like the idea of re-reviewing something because of a patch. They released the game and people paid for and played the game in the condition it was in. Someone who played the game when it was flawed can't un-play it and experience it in it's new condition for the first time. Changing review scores just encourages devs to release broken/flawed/unfinished games and fix them later (even if this game wasn't "unfinished" necessarily). If you expect people to pay money day 1 you should stand by that product's quality day 1.

I'd be fine with them adding to the review to say that certain details have been changed/fixed, but the scores should remain the same.

Moondrop

Banned
Lulz that people want the game to be re-reviewed now that the game is fixed. Shouldn't have released it in that state. That demo was an instant-delete for me.

TheMoon

Lulz that people want the game to be re-reviewed now that the game is fixed. Shouldn't have released it in that state. That demo was an instant-delete for me.

You act like it was broken which it wasn't. It was a matter of patience.

Junahu

So reviewers should re-review BF4 and Driveclub?
.... yeeeees? I dunno, am I falling into some kind of argumentative trap here?
I'm not saying games should be re-reviewed from scratch, or even re-scored, but rather some level of editing is required to keep these reviews up to date.

If these games are mechanically better now for their changes, then it's a good idea for casual consumers to be made aware.

Rran

If you expect people to pay money day 1 you should stand by that product's quality day 1.
I agree w/ most of what you had to say, but I wouldn't want to encourage stubbornness from developers--if the inability to speed up lengthy turn times was intentional, then I applaud a game developer which would change that due to outcry from (most) everyone who has played the game.

Should review scores be changed? I suppose that's a bit of a grey area... buuuutttt I'm inclined to believe they should remain what they are, with an asterisk applied to each review, though.

jeffers

any non-NA review should probably be adjusted, as the game isnt out here yet, so this patch is available at launch. I assume most non-NA havent done import reviewing.

now that the update is out, is this game worth getting? Going to Best Buy on Friday to unlock my GCU am going to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles but might get Code Name STEAM too if its worth it

Riposte

I don't like the idea of re-reviewing something because of a patch. They released the game and people paid for and played the game in the condition it was in. Someone who played the game when it was flawed can't un-play it and experience it in it's new condition for the first time. Changing review scores just encourages devs to release broken/flawed/unfinished games and fix them later (even if this game wasn't "unfinished" necessarily). If you expect people to pay money day 1 you should stand by that product's quality day 1.

I'd be fine with them adding to the review to say that certain details have been changed/fixed, but the scores should remain the same.

I don't think reviewers should care about what they encourage developers to do, nor how they may help or hurt them. You make it seem like the purpose of reviews is to be karmic retribution. That's even worse than the popular idea of their role being quickly outdated buyer's guides, at least those are not weaponized for some larger purpose.

And it is not a matter of "un-playing" something. Adjustments change a game to be different (i.e., requiring a different analysis), one not yet played. The question is whether you acknowledge those differences or not, for whatever reason.

TheMoon

Has anyone got any actual impressions of the updated game?

how about

I just played through the first mission with the patch, and dang, even at just 2x speed with my standard 3DS, enemy turns are much faster. They added a simple speed toggle on the top right of the bottom screen that you can just keep on at all times, it's awesome! This update is going to make my second playthrough a much quicker experience.

Edit: I remembered wrong, sorry. It does speed up enemy attacks too, but goes back to normal speed during Overwatch. Gah, I feel stupid. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention when I was playing.

I've had this game since launch, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Now I'm really glad that I waited! The patch sounds like it will make the game that much more pleasant.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Spotted up option? Why make it an option, at all. Just make it the default setting.
Because the original speed was how they wanted the game designed. There was enough complaining so they gave the option to speed it up for people who complained. I don't see what the issue is with having a toggle.

Toxi

Banned
Ew, people seriously demanding redone reviews?

The reviewers played the game at launch, reviewed the game at launch, and have better things to do now. It's great that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems addressed the most common complaint about the game, but people are being silly.

Pikma

Banned
I thought the issue was really big before I got the game, even thought about skipping it or getting it later because of it. But I decided to get it anyway and, well, I couldn't care less about it, I really didn't mind it and found it to be part of the game, maybe they should've added the option to fast fwd from the beginning but to me it's not something that ever got in the way.

Malus

I don't think reviewers should care about what they encourage developers to do, nor how they may help or hurt them. You make it seem like the purpose of reviews is to be karmic retribution. That's even worse than the popular idea of their role being quickly outdated buyer's guides, at least those are not weaponized for some larger purpose.

And it is not a matter of "un-playing" something. Adjustments change a game to be different (i.e., requiring a different analysis), one not yet played. The question is whether you acknowledge those differences or not, for whatever reason.

That analysis should still include that fact that there was a pre-patch version of the game that was inferior. They sold a game in a certain state, that doesn't go away just because of a post-release patch.

It's good to know that one of my major issues with the game have been fixed. I'm still going to have to wait on a sale or deal on the game though.

TheMoon

The reviewers played the game at launch, reviewed the game at launch, and have better things to do now. It's great that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems addressed the most common complaint about the game, but people are being silly.

The thing isn't about completely redoing reviews in this case. It's about revisiting existing reviews in cases where the enemy turn duration was a major hurdle and informing readers of those reviews that this has since been remedied with an update. Otherwise that review now stands as an outdated and misleading source of information.

jnWake

At the very least, adding a small note at the end of the review stating that the speed issue has been fixed wouldn't take long and would be pretty useful, both for the game and for the new readers.

In fact, I think they should do this for every game that gets substantial patches. It's their job as game journalism after all.

Son Of D

Spotted up option? Why make it an option, at all. Just make it the default setting.

Toggles are always better since there's going to be people who prefer one over the other so catering to them both is better than forcing people to have an option they don't want.

TheMoon

Just being handed the ideal squad takes a lot of the fun out of a strategy game.

Then don't use the "Recommended" button and figure out if your setup works. It's that easy! :)

Can't complain about both options. Either you want to know you have a squad that can deal with it or you want to experiment. There are options for both preferences.

Kriken

On the topic of re-review. I don't believe any outlet should feel obligated to re-review a game, the game was shipped as is and should be reviewed as such. Really, it's up to the site on whether an update is worthy of a re-review. Some might see this as removing their biggest complaint and change accordingly, others might see this as "Well you should have had that there in the first place" I'm in the latter category.

that being said, it's nice to see they updated the demo as well. That might be better than re-reviews for some as it'll allow people to experience what the change actually did first hand.

Riposte

Just being handed the ideal squad takes a lot of the fun out of a strategy game.

The "Recommended" feature is hardly an "I win" button. The ideal squad is going to involve the units with the best gun or power across the board, which you won't be given every mission.

That analysis should still include that fact that there was a pre-patch version of the game that was inferior. They sold a game in a certain state, that doesn't go away just because of a post-release patch.

So, like I said: punishment. But what is more important? Accuracy or revenge?

Reviews are losing relevancy because they are more rigid than what they cover, despite being a lot smaller and depended. The wall of Metacritic reviews operate as a snapshot of a rushed review cycle that is likely outdated within the first major price drop. It has no relevancy for the focused enthusiast who is more interested in examining and understanding a game even years after release.

hatchx

Banned

I more or less agree with you, but it often works in the opposite way where games like Halo MCC and LBP3 don't get docked because reviewers don't realize how truly broken the online is.

Atleast in Codename Steam's case, european and japanese reviewers will have the option to speed things up.

Then don't use the "Recommended" button and figure out if your setup works. It's that easy! :)

Can't complain about both options. Either you want to know you have a squad that can deal with it or you want to experiment. There are options for both preferences.

The "Recommended" feature is hardly an "I win" button. The ideal squad is going to involve the units with the best gun or power across the board, which you won't be given every mission.

Whatever alternate options this game has, Fire Emblem's method of showing you a preview the battlefield is way better. No reason this game should have been released with a sloppier handling of unit selection.

This is like people arguing that blood vials in Bloodborne aren't that bad since if you farm this one route, you can rebuild your stock in just ten minutes. That's fine, but the developer still broke something that didn't need fixing.

Dryk

You act like it was broken which it wasn't. It was a matter of patience.
Large sections of the demo are spent staring at an empty corridor while a bar ticks down, that's not acceptable. I've heard that that time is used better latter in the game, but first impressions matter.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Now it's almost... Too fast.

Kind of wish we had the option of 2x or 3x... At 3x they zip around and attack so quickly I just lost two guys because I wasn't set up properly haha.

Though it's good you can turn on/off. On at start of fight, off when shit gets real so can plan Accordingly

Pikma

Banned
Large sections of the demo are spent staring at an empty corridor while a bar ticks down, that's not acceptable.
I don't understand this. Why is it unacceptable? It's a turn based strategy game, it's just part of the game, even though they did fuck it up for not including an option from the beginning. It's like playing a board/cards game and start hurrying your rival up to do their move while you take all the time in the world.

At the very least, adding a small note at the end of the review stating that the speed issue has been fixed wouldn't take long and would be pretty useful, both for the game and for the new readers.

In fact, I think they should do this for every game that gets substantial patches. It's their job as game journalism after all.

Eh, I feel Nintendo should have either delayed the game for a patch when the critique hit after the demo, or tried their best to release one as a day one. It's on them for not taking the demo feedback sooner and only acting after the reviewers complained.

Eh, I feel Nintendo should have either delayed the game for a patch when the critique hit after the demo, or tried their best to release one as a day one. It's on them for not taking the demo feedback sooner and only acting after the reviewers complained.

Yeah, that isn't how game manufacturing works.

For a cart game, it would have likely gone gold months before it actually went to assembly. Demo feedback would have been far too late.

They responded reasonably fast here, but I still dont think a re review is justified for anything except an mmo, maybe.

Yeah, that isn't how game manufacturing works.

"For a cart game, it would have likely gone gold months before it actually went to assembly. Demo feedback would have been far too late."

Yeah, you're right. Production most likely started well before the demo, but perhaps this a lesson to release a demo such as this before actual production. Fan feedback may have saved this game, especially for an unproven IP.

I hope at the very least they started working on a patch after getting such negative feedback for the turn system after they released a demo. If not, then well...

yoshiunity

So I've downloaded the patch. It speeds up the enemy turns considerably, but I don't think that it's for me since I prefer to see the enemies movements clearly in order to plan my next move.

I'll admit that it's a nice option to have for those who wanted it though.

Kenai

Whatever alternate options this game has, Fire Emblem's method of showing you a preview the battlefield is way better. No reason this game should have been released with a sloppier handling of unit selection.

This is like people arguing that blood vials in Bloodborne aren't that bad since if you farm this one route, you can rebuild your stock in just ten minutes. That's fine, but the developer still broke something that didn't need fixing.

Fire Emblem's method wouldn't work because it shows you the entire map and all of the units you will be fighting sans reinforcements and the rare fog of war map. Not really comparable. I'm not saying it couldn't be done better, but this is a game where you are infiltrating unfamiliar territory as a strike team. Map previews and a pre-posted enemy list don't jive with that.

Top Bottom