• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters teases new racing game (GRID 3?)

KaidoRacer7

And don't forget the almighty Skyline Z-Tune

hqdefault.jpg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Grid and fuck Dirt. I want a Colin McRae Rally 2014, just like you used to make Codemasters back in the day. The games that made you one of my favourite racing studios - TOCA, Colin McRae Rally 2. Games that had me running to the shop to preorder your games, games that made me a fan of you in the first place.

Fuck Ken Block and fuck Gymcannaewhatthefuck. Load of bollocks. Fuck em both.

I want pure fuckin rally and I want Nicky Grist doing the co driver speech. None of this 'Hi Al, how are you doing TODAAAY ?' on the menu screen. Load of shite. Proper rally courses, not that pish you thought Dirt 3 was. I mean we are in a day and age when fucking MILESTONE of all companies are closer to rally than you are! (I don't hate Milestone but you used to be the benchmark)

Just give me the games you used to make back in the day. Don't try to appeal to every crowd. You used to be my favourite racing studio, I want you bastards to make that true again.

Megasoum

Banned
Fuck Grid and fuck Dirt. I want a Colin McRae Rally 2014, just like you used to make Codemasters back in the day. The games that made you one of my favourite racing studios - TOCA, Colin McRae Rally 2. Games that had me running to the shop to preorder your games, games that made me a fan of you in the first place.

I want pure fuckin rally and I want Nicky Grist doing the co driver speech. None of this 'Hi Al, how are you doing TODAAAY ?' on the menu screen. Load of shite. Proper rally courses, not that pish you thought Dirt 3 was. I mean we are in a day and age when fucking MILESTONE of all companies are closer to rally than you are! (I don't hate Milestone but you used to be the benchmark)

Just give me the games you used to make back in the day. Don't try to appeal to every crowd. You used to be my favourite racing studio, I want you bastards to make that true again.

Amen

Certinty

We're done here.

I won't deny I enjoyed DiRT 1 and 2 although they weren't proper rally games, but why the fuck Codemasters brought so much shit into the series from then onwards I will never know, did people really want all that gymkhana crap?

Jibbed

Further investigation of Alex Harvey's (Codies video producer) Twitter is pointing towards BTCC, British GT, classic F1 and some supercars... hype increasing.

BkuwRODIEAA3jYe.jpg

Watevaman

We're done here.

I won't deny I enjoyed DiRT 1 and 2 although they weren't proper rally games, but why the fuck Codemasters brought so much shit into the series from then onwards I will never know, did people really want all that gymkhana crap?

I'll be honest, I enjoyed the hell outta the gymkhana stuff in 3. It was a blast to play.

The GRID stuff is meh IMO (the physics never felt right in either game) but the DIRT/Rally teases have my interest peaked!

(yes I know the DIRT games were somewhat arcade too but the physics felt closer to correct in those games than GRID)

Atolm

Would be nice to have a 60fps racing game on consoles for a change.

I loved the first Grid and yet I thought the second was very poor. The handling and the career progression were so much better in the first game. Never cared about the cockpit view, imo the cockpit view is a requirement only for pure sim racers, which Grid isn't.

Bandit1

One thing I really liked about Grid was the sponsors. Racing costs a lot of money. The car, the tires, the crew, transportation. There's no way to cover all that unless you're winning every week, and since that's nearly impossible, teams must rely on sponsorship. I thought that was such a cool feature in the game. I can't think of another racer off the top of my head that does that. Maybe an old Nascar game.

Jibbed

One thing I really liked about Grid was the sponsors. Racing costs a lot of money. The car, the tires, the crew, transportation. There's no way to cover all that unless you're winning every week, and since that's nearly impossible, teams must rely on sponsorship. I thought that was such a cool feature in the game. I can't think of another racer off the top of my head that does that. Maybe an old Nascar game.

Yeah, I liked that too. It could definitely be fleshed out a bit more though... if I remember correctly, you could only choose 3 and they weren't exactly necessary anyway.

SkylineRKR

Exactly my sentiments. Put it on Yootoob!

I want CMR 2.0. But then with todays tech and cars.

Dirt 3 was still sorta fun, the Rally parts were. But sadly way too short meaning you just had to rewind because there was little room for undoing your fuckup. Awesome soundtrack though, I'll give it that.

LoveCake

GRID was pretty good, but GRID 2 i hated, i'm not entirely sure why, it just seemed poor in all areas & i just didn't like playing it at all, i didn't think it had done that well in sales to warrant GRID 3 in all honesty.

main-thumb-t-8762-50-xjPOswuVFn5ZplI8yJx4s1Zii1rnCXiS.jpeg

A masterpiece WRC game would be the pinnacle of my life. I'd put the case in front of our wedding pictures, and buy a small bed for the disc so I could keep an eye on it.

Damn, just when I'm off from work - friday to monday - you pick fooking tuesday of all days. I better come home to some glorious news on tuesday, Loore. Don't let us down!

biggrin.png

We listened a lot regarding the DLC for GRID 2, especially for the likes of you guys our core Community.

We know for example that many were unhappy with the amount of pre-order bonuses on offer and the fragmentation that caused.
Pleased to hear about the above and the fact that you have been taking notes. It's something I was particularly vocal about on the old CM forums.

Rodelero

GRID was probably my favourite racer of last gen. Single player was excellent. Multiplayer was excellent too although I spent 98% of my time with the two Touring Cars on the 5 or 6 tracks it rotated on.

Having said that, I generally agree with your feelings about Codemasters and where they're going wrong.

Jibbed

GRID was probably my favourite racer of last gen. Single player was excellent. Multiplayer was excellent too although I spent 98% of my time with the two Touring Cars on the 5 or 6 tracks it rotated on.

Having said that, I generally agree with your feelings about Codemasters and where they're going wrong.

Judging by how long people were still playing the multiplayer demo with that one circuit and touring cars, I'm guessing that's what most others did too.

A proper return to touring cars would be insane.

Fox Mulder

Judging by how long people were still playing the multiplayer demo with that one circuit and touring cars, I'm guessing that's what most others did too.

A proper return to touring cars would be insane.

too bad it wouldn't get released in the US. We don't get the wrc or motogp games, and f1 is digital only now apparently.

GRID 3 ToCA 4, DiRT 4 Colin McRae Rally 5 and F1 2014 all in the same year?!

Hold me.

I shall never forget ToCA 3 on the PS2. The most demanding and unforgiving console game I have ever played. I freaking loved it. It had oodles of real-life tracks that you couldn't and still can't find in other console games and need that back as well. The original Grid had much the same charm and was more gentile. With Project Cars supposedly being Q1-2 2015 there's certain a gap to fill on the sim side of things vs Driveclub and Forza Horizon.

I'm sort of worried about an F1 2014 though. 2013 was buggy and felt like a somewhat sloppy effort and was somehow a downgrade from 2012. Adding the oldschool content felt sort of wasted in last year's release. That was at the end of the console generation on an engine Codemasters had spent forever and ever on. Assuming its on new-gen hardware I'm worried about quality control and I wouldn't spend money on another last-gen version after last year and I'm worried about getting burned after Grid 2 made me want to smack my head into a wall. Tell me it's been made for new-gen hardware from the start and I've got -1 additional excuse to nab a PS4.

Jibbed

I shall never forget ToCA 3 on the PS2. The most demanding and unforgiving console game I have ever played. I freaking loved it. It had oodles of real-life tracks that you couldn't and still can't find in other console games and need that back as well. The original Grid had much the same charm and was more gentile. With Project Cars supposedly being Q1-2 2015 there's certain a gap to fill on the sim side of things vs Driveclub and Forza Horizon.

I'm sort of worried about an F1 2014 though. 2013 was buggy and felt like a somewhat sloppy effort and was somehow a downgrade from 2012. Adding the oldschool content felt sort of wasted in last year's release. That was at the end of the console generation on an engine Codemasters had spent forever and ever on. Assuming its on new-gen hardware I'm worried about quality control and I wouldn't spend money on another last-gen version after last year and I'm worried about getting burned after Grid 2 made me want to smack my head into a wall. Tell me it's been made for new-gen hardware from the start and I've got -1 additional excuse to nab a PS4.

pCARS is releasing in November of this year, and honestly it's looking like the spiritual successor to ToCA Race Driver 3 anyway. The variety isn't quite there yet but it's really not that far off. Just about every discipline from karts to F1 ('Formula A' in pCARS) with a good amount of European circuits to choose from.

I'm sure Codemasters Birmingham are well aware of the shortcomings with their F1 titles, and F1 2014 should be their best effort yet.

A spiritual successor to the original ToCA series?

All. Over. My. Windscreen.

This can't be quoted enough.

TJP

This posts nails it for me.

I'm very interested in a new TOCA game having played every CM release since their glory days of one sublime release after another for the original PlayStation. Fast forward a bit to where I spent a countless number of hours spent pissing about in TOCA Race Driver 3 (or V8 Supercars 3 as it was known here in Oz) on the Xbox; it's one of my more cherished gaming memories. I recently bought Grid 2 Reloaded for £6 on Green Man Gaming (thanks SavyGamer) and have been enjoying the experience.

I do hope this 'return to form' includes way better QA testing and post release support as Codemasters been downright terrible in both areas in recent times, especially on PC where we F1 2013 players did most of the patch testing for the console versions. Reading the Grid 2 Steam threads is somewhat sobering too. It'll be interesting what news arrives next Tueday ;)

Top Bottom