• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee recommendations

Hi folks! I was a little late to the game and started drinking coffee in 2019. I started with the lowest tier drinking what they had at work, but in the past couple years I've wanted to branch out. Thus far I've tried Valhalla, Black rifle, and Bones. Valhalla has definitely been my favorite. Just wanted to see about some other that were worth trying.

Kilau

coffee would GIF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hi folks! I was a little late to the game and started drinking coffee in 2019. I started with the lowest tier drinking what they had at work, but in the past couple years I've wanted to branch out. Thus far I've tried Valhalla, Black rifle, and Bones. Valhalla has definitely been my favorite. Just wanted to see about some other that were worth trying.
What's your set-up? Drip machine, pour over, french press? How about a grinder?

I tend to avoid the large, influencer associated brands and go with a local roaster. I'd recommend checking what's available in your area rather than going for the bigger online brands.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I actually really like the basic Dunkin Donuts coffee you can get at any store. That said, outside of the boutique places I went to when I lived in the city, I like Cafe Britt

Punished Miku

Gold Member
81i1UYSAvEL._SX522_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_AA522SH20_.jpg

Been drinking this lately. Perfect blend of good taste with decently low cost. I switch it up pretty frequently though.

My favorite place is Scooter's, might be a midwest thing. Tastes a bit better than Starbucks. If I ever go to a nice breakfast place, they always have more exotic and delicious roasts though from Guatemala or Ethiopia. Shit's good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What's your set-up? Drip machine, pour over, french press? How about a grinder?

I tend to avoid the large, influencer associated brands and go with a local roaster. I'd recommend checking what's available in your area rather than going for the bigger online brands.
Very much this. While I do a lot of BRCC because they have a store just down the street from me, nothing beats a local roaster that can deliver fresh coffee to you that hasn't gone through a big manufacture and may have been sitting in a bag for who knows how long.

Though I think the prep is most of the battle. I do french press because it is pretty tolerant of being sloppy about grind, water temp, ratios, and brew time and still delivers a decent mug. I'd love to get into chemex or pour over but with kids in the house it's hard to have the time to do it right.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a drip machine
If you want to upgrade your coffee, try out a different method with whole bean. You would be surprised at how much of an impact on flavor a solid burr grinder can make. It's way more expensive but this is where you should put your money IMO. The size/dimensions of the grind being consistent allows for more uniform extraction.

Once we bought our burr grinder, we went back and tried the different roast. turns out some we disliked previously we now like.

Saber

Gold Member
Used to like dark and strong coffees. Nowadays? I rather prefer the softest.
Also maybe its just me, but I don't like at all coffees with "earth" or "ground" taste.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I used to drink drip coffee when I was poor young lad. I've tried everything.

Recommendation: Buy higher quality stuff (lavazza, illy, etc) when it's on sale, otherwise it's not worth it. Bang for your buck, folgers

Peet's has a roast date on the package which is nice iirc

TheZink

Recommendation: Buy higher quality stuff (lavazza, illy, etc) when it's on sale, otherwise it's not worth it. Bang for your buck, folgers

For store bought Peet’s is great. I’d recommend Peet’s Big Bang

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dunkin Donuts is the best coffee. Ive tried organic free range USDA approved bs but Dunkin coffee is by far the best.

Id highly recommend buying stevia sugar packets. Adding 2-3 teaspoons of sugar will add up really fast.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone add salt? I hear it makes a (good) difference nut I always forget in the morning.

And how do folks drink coffee at night? What's the secret? Decaf, just a high tolerance for caffeine , or all the booze you drink around it? :p

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Gevalia original or classic or whatever they call it. Genuinely is less bitter than most other coffee without losing flavor. It's the best thing I've found in an ordinary grocery store.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
French press, I'm picky and these are basically the only two coffees I drink:

Well I'm not poor, but I do drink drip. However, I'd like to learn my other options. Educate me

Lasha

A grinder and a French press are more than enough to enjoy good coffee. Coffee tastes best when used shortly after being ground. I would find a local roaster for your bean needs. I mostly have beans from Ethiopia which are excellent. The most expensive are either Panamanian or Jamaican. The grossest are Kopi Luwak which comes from civet droppings.

0neAnd0nly

Those all look fucking gooooood

I accidentally put the decaf version of Santa’s white Christmas, but just edited with the caffeinated version instead LOL!

I am glad you like my selections, I think they are pretty darn good!

Speaking on Joffrey’s specifically, they have a lot of different flavors, I prefer their coffee to Starbucks inside the parks - you can’t go wrong with any of the flavors from the parks IMO (they have 3 pages of Disney park flavors on their website).

If I am getting coffee while out and about (not at home / don’t want a can or bottled version), I typically get:

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla iced coffee w/ light ice and cream + sugar. That’s a sweet kickoff to the morning if I feel like it. Nothing special and getting overpriced these days, but is just a staple of mine.

I am not a huge Starbucks fan honestly, I typically peruse 2 local coffee houses that crush it instead BUT in the fall the Pumpkin Chai Latte is really hard to beat (iced or hot).

Back in the day my friend worked for Joe Mugs. Well prior to this pumpkin chai craze was a thing / commonly found, he use to make this chai heavy pumpkin frapp that was SO FRIGGIN GOOD. It was my first rodeo into chai (this was probably 15 years ago) and really was an awesome combo that is now available commonly in the fall (though not exactly like his). Definitely worthy of a try if you haven’t tried one yet, even though it has become a bit of a meme.

Last edited:
If you want to fall down a YouTube rabbit hole you can look into roasting your own beans. From what I understand decent quality green coffee beans are dirt cheap in bulk, and practically last forever until you roast them.

I accidentally put the decaf version of Santa’s white Christmas, but just edited with the caffeinated version instead LOL!

I am glad you like my selections, I think they are pretty darn good!

Speaking on Joffrey’s specifically, they have a lot of different flavors, I prefer their coffee to Starbucks inside the parks - you can’t go wrong with any of the flavors from the parks IMO (they have 3 pages of Disney park flavors on their website).

If I am getting coffee while out and about (not at home / don’t want a can or bottled version), I typically get:

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla iced coffee w/ light ice and cream + sugar. That’s a sweet kickoff to the morning if I feel like it. Nothing special and getting overpriced these days, but is just a staple of mine.

I am not a huge Starbucks fan honestly, I typically peruse 2 local coffee houses that crush it instead BUT in the fall the Pumpkin Chai Latte is really hard to beat (iced or hot).

Back in the day my friend worked for Joe Mugs. Well prior to this pumpkin chai craze was a thing / commonly found, he use to make this chai heavy pumpkin frapp that was SO FRIGGIN GOOD. It was my first rodeo into chai (this was probably 15 years ago) and really was an awesome combo that is now available commonly in the fall (though not exactly like his). Definitely worthy of a try if you haven’t tried one yet, even though it has become a bit of a meme.
That's so cool man. Can all of those e found online? I really feel like I need to get the Christmas one.

Also I'm not much into coconut. It it a very noticable taste?

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

That's so cool man. Can all of those e found online? I really feel like I need to get the Christmas one.

Also I'm not much into coconut. It it a very noticable taste?

You should be able to get most of them online.

The Santa’s white Christmas has a super subtle coconut that I don’t really even locate. I am not a huge coconut fan either and it isn’t something I discern when enjoying SWC, which I actually keep year round. It is absolutely best enjoyed quickly though regardless of expiration date, it is a roast that definitely loses its luster the longer your bag sits, so I would definitely make a few cups in the month you get it so you enjoy it at it’s freshest. Here is the link! If you have a Publix, I think they generally stock it as well.

Joffrey’s entire catalog is available online as well, sign up for their emails to get 25% off an order.

BOSS you can order by the case on AMAZON, it recently began being imported through here about 3 years ago, a case of 24 (a mix of the 2 flavors I had above) runs just shy of $60 shipped, so it’s a little pricey. The rainbow is a dark blend that I use at home with additional flavors, the Cafe Au Lait is flavor heavy and fairly sweet so I add nothing. BOSS has kind of a trademark / masculine burned roast flavor on the undertone, so you will have the burst of coffee roast come through even when sweet / flavor heavy, but IMO it’s very enjoyable in the morning especially if working.

Wonda is very hard to find, especially that flavor. Your best bet is if you have a Japanese food store in your area, just check in occasionally!

Last edited:
You should be able to get most of them online.

The Santa’s white Christmas has a super subtle coconut that I don’t really even locate. I am not a huge coconut fan either and it isn’t something I discern when enjoying SWC, which I actually keep year round. It is absolutely best enjoyed quickly though regardless of expiration date, it is a roast that definitely loses its luster the longer your bag sits, so I would definitely make a few cups in the month you get it so you enjoy it at it’s freshest. Here is the link! If you have a Publix, I think they generally stock it as well.

Joffrey’s entire catalog is available online as well, sign up for their emails to get 25% off an order.

BOSS you can order by the case on AMAZON, it recently began being imported through here about 3 years ago, a case of 24 (a mix of the 2 flavors I had above) runs just shy of $60 shipped, so it’s a little pricey. The rainbow is a dark blend that I use at home with additional flavors, the Cafe Au Lait is flavor heavy and fairly sweet so I add nothing. BOSS has kind of a trademark / masculine burned roast flavor on the undertone, so you will have the burst of coffee roast come through even when sweet / flavor heavy, but IMO it’s very enjoyable in the morning especially if working.

Wonda is very hard to find, especially that flavor. Your best bet is if you have a Japanese food store in your area, just check in occasionally!
I appreciate it. I already bought a ag of Barnies before I sent that message, but then I had buyers remorse bc I don't like coconut 🤣 but I think it'd still be worth the try. I'm definitely taking note of this

Tams

Whatever your nearest coffee bean shop, or boutique/import part of the local supermarket has.

There's almost always Blue Mountain from Jamaica if you want assured quality. Exclusive though.

I quite like Ethiopian beans.

Grind and filter yourself if you're going to splash out on coffee.

Fools idol

Banned
some of my recent favourites have been from these guys. Kinda boujee, but yeah, good shithttps://www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com/coffee/

0neAnd0nly

I appreciate it. I already bought a ag of Barnies before I sent that message, but then I had buyers remorse bc I don't like coconut 🤣 but I think it'd still be worth the try. I'm definitely taking note of this

I think we are the same re: coconut. I like Pina Colada’s, but I don’t really eat anything else coconut. This coconut in SWC is incredibly subtle, like I said - I don’t even pick up on it, it just blends into the background.

By the way, SWC is also my favorite “scent” of coffee. You will see when you get it, but it has such an endearing fragrance. Even if that sounds weird, you will see. LOL.

Saber

Gold Member
My absolute go to:

swc-reg-groundNA-final.png

My other favorite brand:

WEB-GiftSets-Disney-RetailTrio-2022.png

My go to for on the go / pre-made:

images

Other harder to find pre-made:

a790182346806e9b993dc4587cf0bf7d

Never heard any of them(my country is that terrible), but the first and last one looks tasty. Gonna try import some for me.

Top Bottom