• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty is leaving Kinda Funny Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
"Guys, a grown man making a sexist joke is pretty much exactly the same as one made by a group of fictional children from a quarter-century old movie! Wait, you're telling me it's totally different because the Little Rascals one is poking fun at the boys making the group, and Colin's was just a lazy 'women sure do nag a lot, right?' comment? Nevermind!"

I was just comparing where the joke kind of was coming from, and it reminded me of stuff from the 90's?

Let me rephrase my point:

Why do people insist on explaining and explaining to anybody why the joke's sexist, the connotation of telling sexist jokes on national women's day, the importance it has in the context of everything's doing and the negative impact doing it can have? I'm relatively sure anybody who truly cares that they're informed on the matter can randomly click a page in the thread, press CTRL + F, type in "joke" or "twitter" and have a 95% chance of getting the answers that they're looking for.

Every 5 pages or so a new rando jumps into the thread with "wait is this all over a joke?"

So is there more to this story other than the joke Moriarty told?

This thread isn't as big as it is just because of that little joke, right? Because if it is... then I dunno... maybe the world is in a pretty good place because if people are getting upset over something so minuscule. There must not be bigger issues out there.

I hear far worse on a daily basis from coworkers, friends, and just acquaintances... and I know for a fact most of these people aren't "sexist" or "racist"...

So if there's more to the story then so be it, i'm pretty ignorant of the situation. But if there isn't, and people are this upset over just that joke then i'm at a complete loss.
Are you actually asking that question, or did you want a cover for your shitty 'no one does anything racist or sexist, people are too sensitive' hot take?

What? did he actually cry?!

lol, oh Colin

OckGDaF.gif

No he didn't cry, he got upset when he was thanking Rubin for his support during the twitter fiasco. At the same time his best and closet friends abandoned him and were no where to be found.

He also said he got private messages from friends saying they agree with what he was doing but publicly they can't stand by him.

He went on record saying he never wants to talk to them again

He also made a glorious dig at Polygon et al.

You know what else creates overwhelming emotion? When you or your friends/family are Muslim, or Mexican, or immigrant, or LGBT or a woman, or disabled, or reliant on the ACA and an administration who has spent the last 18 months demonizing those groups has just won the Presidential election, yet Colin didn't seem to give a fuck about their feelings in the moment.

I think you missed the point. People were saying he cried to play the victim. I think he was crying as an emotional response to the support he has received.

Did Colin somehow run salt in the wounds of those scared by the Trump administration? He wasn't a voter or supporter. Plus he was against the travel ban, and said it was rightfully shut down.

No he didn't cry, he got upset when he was thanking Rubin for his support during the twitter fiasco. At the same time his best and closet friends abandoned him and were no where to be found.

He also said he got private messages from friends saying they agree with what he was doing but publicly they can't stand by him.

He went on record saying he never wants to talk to them again

So even his friends are like "hey this behavior isn't cool" and instead of learning something his response is to double down and cut ties with his friends?

he's well and truly gone

Papacheeks

Banned
Good news! Lazy, sexist jokes have been around for even longer than the 1990s! That makes...your point...stronger? I guess?

I literally asked a question and said because of my similar age and era I grew up in what his joke and satire reminded me of nothing more.

Maximo

So what would be the context on twitter which only allows what 150 characters?

I got the joke immediately, it's like something you would see from a a 90's sitcom, hell the movie little rascals from 1994 has a literal same joke when the boys make the He-man woman haters club.

Like I got the joke immediately because i'm the same age and from the same type of era. And I would say that me being a pay it forward type of person I'm not considered a sexist, or a racist.

Which some of the publications are calling him.

Not hard to understand hes a popular and huge voice in the gaming industry and he used that voice to tweet a old non intelligent *joke* on International Women's Day using the official hashtag, he didn't use that influence to post something encouraging or to even have some small sense of empathy to understand what that day could mean.
Its like going on the street and yelling women deserve to be in the kitchen and then wondering why random people are pissed off at you, your friends may understand its *just a joke* but others don't he could have contained that joke just to his own twitter followers but he decided to use the hashtag the one being used by thousands of people to show their support for women.

After many people in the industry both male AND female bare in mind the gaming industry is both a toxic and a sexist place for women who receive death threats or verbal abuse from many who speak up to things they find problematic, Colin sends another tweet with a tired and old excuse of *Well my girlfriend found it funny* and then follows it up with *Because not all people are humorless sacks of shit* Yeah fuck those women who dare not even get mad saying hes a sexist but simply voice their opinion by saying it wasn't funny.

It it really that fucking hard for people to understand? To even bring up *Tv shows and sitcoms* as a example is just mind boggling its not even remotely the same thing.

I was just comparing where the joke kind of was coming from, and it reminded me of stuff from the 90's?
The point of the little rascals joke is that they're stupid kids being stupid. By the end of movie, they do let girls into the club.

What's the point of Colin's joke? That he's an idiot?

I think you missed the point. People were saying he cried to play the victim. I think he was crying as an emotional response to the support he has received.

Did Colin somehow run salt in the wounds of those scared by the Trump administration? He wasn't a voter or supporter. Plus he was against the travel ban, and said it was rightfully shut down.

I think you missed my point. "Stop being hyperbolic the sun will rise tomorrow" was exactly (word for word i believe) what Colin said on election night about people being (justifiably) upset and emotional that a raging bigot had been elected president.

So even his friends are like "hey this behavior isn't cool" and instead of learning something his response is to double down and cut ties with his friends?

he's well and truly gone

No it was more like on twitter "hey this isn't cool man" then sending direct messages "I got your back man"

Total bullshit pussy stuff because people want to save face on social media and keep up the "liberal games media" appearance

If I help one old lady cross the street, then push the next one in front of an oncoming bus, aren't I still despicable despite one of those things being a good deed?

You can't dismiss all the shit things by focusing purely on the non-shit things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom