• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

The_Lump

Banned
Source says: Most developers I've spoken to are not happy.

This is clear. And more exact. Something that somebody that was previously of the press should be able to communicate clearly.

The part in bold is absolutely implied. How else would the source possibly know without people telling him/her?

clintar

The part in bold is absolutely implied. How else would the source possibly know without people telling him/her?

If that part is implied, wouldn't that pretty much mean the tweet was pointless considering there is no way to know how many devs were talked to? And if so, wouldn't that mean everyone here that is questioning the tweet is justified in questioning it, since the literal meaning of the tweet does not mesh with what you are saying is implied? If so, then it sounds like there is reason to question the tweet, right? This seems to cause the discussion to go into a circle...

tuxfool

Banned

The problem with omissions is that it seemingly relies on people mind reading. Unfortunately mind reading has led press outlets and other people who should know better to interpret that as all. The whole point of the bolded is to narrow the scope of the statement and that without it there is a suggestion of widespread unhappiness.

Exactitude is very important. There was also no follow up tweet expressing any clarification on people's misinterpretations.

etta

my hard graphic balls
The problem with omissions is that it seemingly relies on people mind reading. Unfortunately mind reading has led press outlets and other people who should know better to interpret that as all.
Mind reading or common sense?
Why do you need to specify that most = most of the ones he talked to instead of most of developers that are working on the PS4?
He explained it very well on the Gamecast.

tuxfool

Banned
Mind reading or common sense?
Why do you need to specify that most = most of the ones he talked to instead of most of developers that are working on the PS4?
He explained it very well on the Gamecast.

That is what I took it to mean. Lots of other people didn't take that meaning at all. You saw people take the naive interpretation of the words written in the tweet and then run with them (often press people that should know better than spread bullshit).

I'd say you guys are nuts for taking what he says as golden... Where are the dev tweets? Dev anonymous sources... We basically got one guy or a small few that has said anything. First he's a independent blogger sorta speak... Anything he says can be used to further his own brand... Next most devs? You think this guy knows most devs? How many is most? Indeterminate... There's no way to find that out. How many devs go to e3 or any expo... 2 to maybe 10 at any one time? There's 100s that work at ubi.. Just as an example... He's met 90% of them? How? My point is he doesnt know most devs... A couple here or there from each studio... But most is a subjective term and highly improbable that most gave their feedback...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

kyser73

That is what I took it to mean. Lots of other people didn't take that meaning at all. You saw people take the naive interpretation of the words written in the tweet and then run with them (often press people that should know better than spread bullshit).

This is a pointless semantic argument.

Without a qualifying number it is still a meaningless statement.

'Most developers' or 'Most developers I've spoken with.' still lack an actual number of devs CM has or hasn't spoken with about Neo.

It's a rubbish statement whichever way you choose to interpret it - literally or implied - and it's something a decent journalist should avoid saying.

Still waiting for proof developers are not happy.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but there could be any number of reasons that no-one would go publicly / on record about not being happy with a PS4K and mid-gen spec bumps in general.

If you are from a larger third party studio, you probably like your job and wouldn't want to endanger it Adam Orth style by saying something that they will absolutely let you be the fall guy for.

If you are from a studio closer to Sony and you guys do know about PS4K etc already, there is no way you aren't under NDA etc. Especially as the console hasn't even been announced yet.

If you are from an indie or smaller studio, you probably don't know enough to say anything or if you do have that knowledge from Sony for some reason - there is no way you would want to damage that relationship etc.

So again, I'm not saying you are wrong - but people tend to like keeping their jobs/income/prospects open. There are legit reasons for people to not be going on record for now.

Top Bottom